URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID20
Thread Number: 3783
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"My Strange TAR related dream..."

Posted by Tregard on 03-15-09 at 01:55 PM
ok, I had a really vivid dream about The Amazing Race, and needed to create an account to post a specific point about the dream.

So, picture the scene if you will:

Me and my sister are in the race, we seem to be in China, although it is quite cold and snowy.
My sister has just completed a road block involving eating what looked like asian cuisine (all I could really see was some kind of green paste.)
We recieved a clue that said:

"Preceed directly to the Pit stop at (I can't remember the location.)

WARNING, PHOTO FINISH AHEAD!"

That is the bit I wanted to point out, everything had been accurate to the amazing race up until that point. I had no idea what a photo finish was, but it seemed to be something like a yeild or u-turn.

The clue itself looked like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/72/F-Forward_clue.PNG

it was the same colour, except the text said photo finish, and the two triangles were replaced with a camera with a finish flag in the middle.

So we got there, and I realised what a photo finish was.

It goes like this:

"A Photo Finish is a point somewhere just before a Pit Stop where the 2, 3 or 4 teams in last place, must all wait at the Photo finish marker, before all sprinting at the same time straight to the Check-in mat. The Last team to arrive, will be eliminated."

At least, that was what it seemed to be in my head.

I thought it sounded like a good idea for a task in the race.

1. It gives teams a chance to catch up
2. During slow episodes, it gives a rather fast moving climax to the episode.

So, what do you think a photo finish ACTUALLY is? Am I right? would it make a good TAR task?

please, discuss.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: My Strange TAR related dream..."
Posted by Snidget on 03-15-09 at 02:06 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-15-09 AT 02:07 PM (EST)

Sorry, my initial response is Ick, even more bunching.

It is bad enough for me when the bunching is from airplanes, opening times, or designated times to start the next part.

Right before a pitstop would really annoy me. It would mean the whole leg's worth of racing was meaningless, even if for the last several teams. If there has to be bunching I prefer it near the start of the leg so that way how well people do on the tasks actually makes a difference.

Posted by Tregard on 03-15-09 at 02:19 PM
I understand what you mean about the bunching, but the 4 team scenario would only be on one of the very first legs, most times it would be just the last 2 teams.

Maybe I've just watched too many of those slower legs.

Posted by Starshine on 03-15-09 at 02:40 PM
Firstly Welcome aboard! Always nice to have new blood!

The photo finish idea is sort of interesting, however the intersection sort of does the same thing, particularly in TARA, although it is only two teams in those cases.

I remember one team having to hang around in Budapest for about 5 hours waiting for the last placed team to arrive, which as it happened meant that they had no chance in the next leg.

Something or Other

Posted by Tregard on 03-15-09 at 03:03 PM
thank you very much

I haven't seen much of TARA, as I live in the UK, so I have to watch TAR online.

On the subject of the intersection, I had an idea that after an intersection, the 2 pairs of teams would go into a photo finish, but half-way through the photo finish, there would be a sign saying "Intersection ends here". Just as a one of thing.

Posted by Starshine on 03-15-09 at 03:20 PM
The UK? Me too! Definitely glad to see another Brit

TARA is well worth a look, it is a lot tougher than TAR but can be very good.

Something or Other

Posted by Tregard on 03-15-09 at 03:45 PM
I might have a look at TARA after the current season of TAR has ended