URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37743
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Please Send Resume - And a Photo"

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-06-12 at 06:12 AM
Is this new? I was walking by a store under construction and there is a sign in the window. They are building a Red Mango and looking for employees. Sign says to send a resume and a photo to an email address.

Red Mango sells frozen yogurt and smoothies. It's not a model agency or a casting agent where a photograph makes sense. What exactly is the purpose of obtaining a photo of a job applicant? Seems like any applicant not called for an interview has a case for discrimination.

Do other jobs have this practice these days?

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Please Send Resume - And a Photo"
Posted by Estee on 09-06-12 at 07:51 AM
Every job which has employees who deal face-to-face with the public has this practice. Most of them just aren't this open about it.

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-06-12 at 01:49 PM
Wonder if the photo should be a face shot or full body. Should women show cleavage and men suck in their gut?

Newest expense related to job hunting - professional photo portfolio.

Saddest thing is this job is unlikely to pay much more than minimum wage.

Posted by cahaya on 09-06-12 at 10:51 AM
When I worked in SE Asia, every job opening asked for a photo, regardless of position.

Say what you want, anyone screening applications will look at your photo and make a judgement that could decide whether your application sees the trashcan or not.

Too much like a mug shot? Too ugly? Too phat? Too dark? Too gay looking? Too old? Take your pick among these and more.

Posted by Starshine on 09-06-12 at 11:24 AM
Too much like a mug shot? Too ugly? Too phat? Too dark? Too gay looking? Too old?

When did you see my passport photograph?

Posted by Snidget on 09-06-12 at 12:17 PM
Is there anyone who has a passport photo that doesn't fit that description?

Posted by cahaya on 09-06-12 at 12:41 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-06-12 AT 12:42 PM (EST)

In the spirit of the election season...

Including this guy?

(eta) Source. It's genuine.

Although some folks don't think so!

"LinkedIn"
Posted by byoffer on 09-06-12 at 01:48 PM
In line with resumes, many now use LinkedIn to present our public professional profile. I have heard discussions about whether or not to include a picture on one's profile on there.

It would seem that Obama has not put a picture on his profile:

I note that John McCain and Ron Paul have their pictures on LinkedIn.

I also note that I have no way to confirm if these profiles are real or fakes added to LinkedIn.

"RE: LinkedIn"
Posted by cahaya on 09-06-12 at 02:12 PM
Current: President at the United States of America?

Not the kind of blunder Obama would make.

And John's page is kinda outadate, no?

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-06-12 at 02:19 PM
Not to mention his college - National War College? Total fakes.

Posted by cahaya on 09-06-12 at 02:38 PM
Yup, he went to the United States Naval Academy, where he ranked 894 out of 899 in his graduating class!

Posted by frodis on 09-06-12 at 02:34 PM
President at the United States of America?

For what it's worth, that field is a concatenation of <title> "at" <company> so the "at" is a hardcoded bit of text. Not something that was entered that way.

Posted by cahaya on 09-06-12 at 02:39 PM
Then "at The Oval Office" might have been a better choice.

Posted by frodis on 09-06-12 at 02:41 PM
I think there's a way to tweak it to override the default. But I think if you don't override it it defaults to globbing together other fields.

(as a database programmer I am woefully familiar with the perils of hard coding text into concatenated strings.)

"LOL"
Posted by moonbaby on 09-06-12 at 02:43 PM
Oddly enough one of the better pictures I've had taken was a photo for a passport. It was the one I lost. The replacement is simply horrific. So all is as it should be

"RE: LOL"
Posted by kidflash212 on 09-06-12 at 02:47 PM
My passport photo not only would get my resume burned, they would alert animal control to visit my house.

Posted by Max Headroom on 09-06-12 at 02:56 PM
No problem, I'm very photogenic. I expect to be hired immediately.

Posted by cahaya on 09-06-12 at 03:04 PM
Me too!

Smurfed by Icey.

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-06-12 at 03:06 PM
Hired. Can I have a Mango-Pineapple-Cheery smoothie to go, please?

Posted by byoffer on 09-06-12 at 03:27 PM
Do you want to max-size that??

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-06-12 at 03:38 PM
I'll need a photo indicating how big that is.

Posted by bondt007 on 09-06-12 at 05:09 PM
Just so long as you don't need a photo to vote, I think it's OK -

>Issued by "Q" and RollDdice

Posted by woeisme1 on 09-06-12 at 06:37 PM
In Hawaii, I have always had to show a photo ID to vote and I don't really understand the big issue with that.

YMMV

Posted by Snidget on 09-06-12 at 07:12 PM
The stats I've seen is something like 10% of people who are on the voter roles and eligible to vote do not have a photo ID and a lot of them can't get one.

States have been cracking down so it is harder to get a photo ID (drivers license or the non-driver equivalent). Some people don't have a valid birth certificate for various reasons, or can't afford to get an official copy of it.

I know from my life it seems crazy that people don't have an ID or can't get one, but seems that it happens to a lot more people than I would have expected.

http://www.brennancenter.org/content/section/category/voter_id has the stats on that.

Posted by kidflash212 on 09-06-12 at 07:22 PM
Don't quite see how this thread got onto voter ID but in my work I have to obtain ID often. Elderly people seem to be the ones that most often have no photo ID. They gave up driving and don't travel much to have a passport.

I don't really have an issue with asking for ID at the polling place as long as procedures are in place to allow for such voters as the elderly person I described above.

Posted by jbug on 09-06-12 at 09:14 PM

TN required a photo ID this year. I don't have a problem w/ it either.
My mother was born in MS; court house & all records burned down many years before she was eligible for social security.
Yet, when it was time to get that, we were able to get what was needed.

I don't know about all states, but I imagine official birth certificates cost less than $10 in most.
I got DH's BC from Ohio. (He did not need this for an ID; has had a drivers license for years of course).
But his BC had no name on it. They sent us a form to fill out with his name & for him to have notarized swearing that is his name. That's all it took - & $8 - to get an official BC from Ohio.

If this is supposed to be such an issue for the poor, I don't get it.
People have to have some kind of proof of ID for the welfare or other assistance. So why not a photo ID?

Posted by Snidget on 09-06-12 at 09:25 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-06-12 AT 09:34 PM (EST)

I think a lot of the "no big deal" is the "we were able".

Some people don't have as good a "we" as your family has.

I know there was a bunch of things here about making it much harder to get a photo ID, and I don't know how much more than one notary stamp it takes if the midwife in your small town just never bothered to submit anything at all to any courthouse. I think there are situations that require a judge and a court order and all that and that may mean a lot more time and money than a few small copy fees.