URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID20
Thread Number: 3759
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"The Amazing Race... Rebooted?"

Posted by Jims02 on 02-17-09 at 00:43 AM
Y'know, it's amazing what some new editing can do for a TV show.

It's weird. This season's premiere seemed really fresh and novel... Which is somewhat strange for a show that has gone on for fourteen seasons. And it's not like the format changed much. The teams still did the typical stuff they always did. But, somehow, this year seems different in a good way.

The editing seems much snappier this year. They're skipping over a lot of the slow stuff in the airport and highlighting more stuff in the traveling/tasks. They even cut down on some of the bungee-jumping. Like, they focused on the first few? But do we need to spend that much time watching everyone? No. Just boom, boom, boom. Done.

And splitscreen transitions. It's almost like watching "24" or something.

What did you think? Better? Worse? Same old stuff again?

A 2003 IceCat original

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: The Amazing Race... Rebooted?"
Posted by Starshine on 02-17-09 at 01:58 AM
I'm definitely with you on this Jims, it seemed like a whole new show.

Before that episode I was a little ho-hum about TAR, but I have fallen in love with it all over again.

Something or Other

Posted by Max Headroom on 02-17-09 at 08:59 AM
I read somewhere that the producers made a conscious effort to refocus on the travelogue side of the show. That translates to editing the footage to give us less airport haggling, fewer repeats of the same tasks, more scenery shots, and a fresher overall look. Along the way they also re-did the soundtrack and opening graphics.

I like it.

"Closing graphics"
Posted by IceCat on 02-17-09 at 09:17 AM

The green glowing earth with the sinister music makes the little animated lines symbolizing aircraft taking off and landing make it look more like a earth undergoing a world-wide nuclear war.

Vidcap Here

Posted by MaryKat on 02-17-09 at 10:08 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-17-09 AT 10:08 AM (EST)

This makes me happy. I watch the Amazing Race for the travelouge stuff.

Posted by michel on 02-17-09 at 09:51 AM
Jims, I agree that the editing was better and the graphics helped. I liked the time stamp on the bungee jumpers. As far as the airport is concerned, however, it's a little early for conclusions. They had their flights pre-determined so there wasn't much room for arguments. Let's wait and see what they show us when they have to make their own arrangements.

One same old I didn't like is that they depended on taxis much too much again. Give them a car (and a driver if the local laws demand it) and let them figure their way out.

Posted by qwertypie on 02-17-09 at 10:22 AM
The old opening gave me chills when the first ep of a new season played (getting my TAR fix). This one, it was OK, but no chills.

Other than that, I liked the changes.

Posted by mikey on 02-17-09 at 01:07 PM
I liked most of the changes. Particularly the time stamps. And the final task was difficult and near the finish, leading to a very, very close first episode elimination, and a very close race for first place.

Now, one thing I would change is with the deaf guy and the interviews. It is annoying to have his Mom say what he is saying, then what she is saying. I would just have him sign something and put a caption on the screen, or give him a translator during his interviews.

"The Dam picture!!"
Posted by aquariaqueen on 02-17-09 at 01:19 PM

I loved that there were no words with it, just the picture of the dam.

It would have been ever more entertaining if they had to actually drive themselves there, and have to interact with the townfolk to get directions, etc.

Overall, a good episode. Can you imagine if one of those cheeses went through a window????

"RE: The Dam picture!!"
Posted by suzzee on 02-17-09 at 03:08 PM
Cheese related injuries are taken very seriously in Switzerland, you could tell by the cheese workers reactions....

Snidget cut the cheese!

Posted by CTgirl on 02-17-09 at 01:48 PM
I thought the premiere was excellent! The thing I noticed the most was that the show had so much more energy. It's okay to have some airport drama, but that part has been dragging the show down in past seasons. Also the challenges were awesome. You felt nervous for the people doing the roadblock and the cheese moving task was good for comedy and for watching how teams work together. The Swiss scenery was beautiful too. TAR 14 is off to a good start - I hope they keep this up.

Another Tribe Creation

Posted by emydi on 02-17-09 at 04:29 PM
omh the Alps are beautiful....i want to go back!

Posted by dragonflies on 02-17-09 at 01:54 PM
I'm in the lovin' it group. Loved the new sounds, the new look, the time stamps, the return of a CLUE (even if it was a little weak, every local would know where that is). The cheese task will go down as one of my favorite in 14 seasons.

The only disappointment is it seems that there are mainly the same type of teams.

Posted by jase on 02-26-09 at 10:21 PM
>
>The only disappointment is it seems that there are mainly the same type of teams.
>

Most past winners have been either two guys or a young guy/girl team. I think they (the producers) would like to see a different type of team win (mother/son, two women, older couple, etc..) and the only way to do this is to pick the same type of teams until it happens.

It could also be that the same types of teams apply and thus they (the producers) are limited (or choose to limit) their team selections/options resulting in much of the same each season.

Posted by Seana on 03-09-09 at 04:49 PM
This week, I also noticed a change in the opening credits. There were little clips of each of the teams on the Race. Mel and Mike's showed their wood wall falling over, for example.

Sig by agman

Posted by Pretty_Kitty on 03-09-09 at 05:16 PM
I really really like that there has been LESS drama so far this season. I was starting to lose interest because of the focus on mean miserable unlikable people. It gets old. Im loving the focus The Race. Its much more excititng to me then teams screaming at each other.

Posted by qwertypie on 03-09-09 at 11:57 PM
And splitscreen transitions. It's almost like watching "24" or something.
So when do I get royalties?
http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=341&forum=DCForumID54&archive=yes#22

GAWD - I've been around for a long, long time.

Posted by PsychoKitty on 03-17-09 at 09:13 PM
I'm loving the changes too - the show seems fresher and lighter in spirit too. And ALSO the challenges seem much more challenging and fresh too! Boom! First out of the box EVERYONE had to do the bungee jump! There have been alot of more interesting and physical challenges, and I LOVED the skivvie race through Siberia - what a hoot! And there's no way the racers could have prepared for that. The show is a lot of fun this time, and I agree, a lot less drama and trauma; and I was already a big fan. Keep the fun stuff coming!!!!

And Props to Phil for appearing in his undies!!!! Way to go!

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

Posted by Jims02 on 03-17-09 at 11:35 PM
And did you notice how they didn't show all the teams departing from the pitstop? I liked that. They showed the first couple leave, but then they found out the train was going to bunch everyone together. So they just zipped to the other teams arriving.

I mean, why bother showing all the departures if there's bunching right after?

A 2003 IceCat original