URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37563
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Trivial trivia"

Posted by cahaya on 06-08-12 at 11:18 AM
Ok, it's time for a new game, folks.

This is a trivia quiz, with a twist. You can use online search tools to devise a trivia question and to attempt to find the answer.

Before you can post a trivia question of your own, you must provide an answer in reply to a previous question. You must know the answer to your question (either through your knowledge or your online research). You must also think you are sure of your answer before posting a reply and a follow up question. You must provide a follow up question with each answer. No guessing!

The idea here is to come up with questions and answers that do not typically appear in trivia quizzes because the knowledge is so obscure that no one would know the answer without a little google help.

For example: How many children did Christopher Columbus have? (I don't have the faintest clue, but I would have to look this up and be able to answer it before I could post it as a question.)

Another example: What is quadrotiticale? (Thanks, Moly!)

Here are three questions to get us started. You can pick one and answer it (or answer someone else's question later in the thresd) and ask a trivia question of your own.

1. What color paint would you get if you mixed an equal mixture of red paint, yellow paint and blue paint?

2. At what age and from what did Alexander the Great die?

3. Have physicists successfully conducted teleportation experiments using matter with mass?

Have fun!

agman's world

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Trivial trivia"
Posted by jbug on 06-08-12 at 12:36 PM
I know the answer to #1.
But I don't have another trivia question to ask just yet.

Agman brightens my life May 2012

Posted by cahaya on 06-08-12 at 12:45 PM
Well, you could look up an obscure bit of TN history or Nashville trivia and ask that. I am curious what your answer to #1 is, though!

Posted by SpotTheDiffference on 06-08-12 at 12:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-08-12 AT 01:11 PM (EST)

I *think* the answer to #1 is brown. I learned about this in grade school, because our art teacher taught us that mixing the primary colors would make white, and I tried mixing water colors and got brown instead.

Question:

In the Philippines, a 0% crime rate is almost always noted when one certain event happens. What event is this? Hint: this event happened twice per year for the past three years.

Posted by jbug on 06-08-12 at 01:19 PM
Spott got my answer.
If you mix only 2 of the primary colors you get a secondary color.
You can then mix a primary color & a secondary color to get a
tertiary color.

0% crime rate:
On Saturday December 6, 2008 (Sunday in the Philippines), the country becomes the most peaceful country in the world. The reason is, believe it or not, criminals are glued to their television sets to watch their favorite boxing hero Manny Pacquiao, in a boxing match with the equally-famous Oscar de la Hoya at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

TN Trivia
What is odd/funny about Moore County - home of Jack Daniel's Distillery in Lynchburg?

Posted by kingfish on 06-08-12 at 01:25 PM
It's a dry county..

A very much related question: What did I find out much to my chagrin when I visited the JD distillery?

(think hard)

Posted by cahaya on 06-08-12 at 09:02 PM
No free samples.

From their tour page: For a nominal fee, Jack Daniel’s is now offering Distillery tours, which include a sampling of our hometown product.

Trivia question: How many children did Christopher Columbus have?

Posted by cahaya on 06-08-12 at 09:44 PM
Spott got my answer.
If you mix only 2 of the primary colors you get a secondary color.
You can then mix a primary color & a secondary color to get a
tertiary color.

See my reply to Spot's answer.

Two strikes, one more strike and OT is out!

Posted by SpotTheDiffference on 06-11-12 at 03:55 AM
0% crime rate

Yes! And Pacquiao just lost in a very controversial match, so expect heavy rioting for the next couple of days.

Posted by cahaya on 06-08-12 at 09:43 PM
I *think* the answer to #1 is brown.

Actually, this is incorrect.

From a source: Brown is 50% red, and equal parts of the other two primaries.

Equal parts of each primary will yield a color other than brown... what color is it?

Posted by dabo on 06-08-12 at 11:44 PM
In equal ratios, black. In other ratios various browns and grays.

How many stooges were members of the Three Stooges (the recent movie doesn't count)?

Posted by Max Headroom on 06-08-12 at 01:16 PM
#2 is a trick question, as the cause of death for Alexander the Great is not agreed by historians. Depending on which source you believe, he was either poisoned, died of a fever, or died of an overdose. He was 33 when he died.

New question: Name the only major league pitcher to throw a nine-inning no-hitter and lose the game. Bonus: Name the player on the opposing team who scored the winning run.

Proud supporter of futility since 1993.

Posted by jbug on 06-08-12 at 01:26 PM
On April 23, 1964, Ken Johnson of the Houston Colt .45s became the only pitcher to lose a complete game no-hitter in nine innings when he was beaten 1-0 by Cincinnati. The winning run was scored by Pete Rose in the top of the ninth inning via an error, groundout, and another error.

NEW one:
Who defined Genius as, "1% inspiration and 99% perspiration"?

TribeLand 2012

Posted by Max Headroom on 06-08-12 at 02:18 PM
Move over Snidget, jbug is now the fastest Googler in the south.

'Cause I don't think she's that much of a baseball fan!

Posted by AyaK on 06-08-12 at 04:40 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-08-12 AT 04:43 PM (EST)

The quote is always attributed to Thomas A. Edison, who was quoted in a 1932 issue of Harper's, I believe, as having said it around 1902. Whether he really said it, I don't know, but it doesn't appear to have appeared in print before the 1932 article.

Oops, forgot to post the new trivia question (and by the way, it's quadrotriticale):

Who created Michigan J. Frog?

Posted by Molaholic on 06-08-12 at 07:01 PM
The Ken Johnson answer is correct now. However, prior to 1996, a no-hitter was defined as “a game in which a team has no hits through nine innings.” But in May of that year Major League Baseball (Elias Sports Bureau) revised the official definition of a no-hitter as “a game of at least nine full innings which ends with a team having no hits.” “Official” status was made retroactive. There were 12 games that lost no-hit status because they went extra innings and the first hit was made after the 9th. In nine of these games, the "no-hit" team ended up winning the game.

May 5, 1901 - Earl Moore, CLE vs CHI AL
August 1, 1906 - Harry McIntire, BKN at PIT NL
April 15, 1909 - Leon Ames, NY vs BKN NL
August 30, 1910 - Tom Hughes, NY vs CLE AL
May 2, 1917 - Hippo Vaughn, CHI vs CIN NLa
September 18, 1934 - Buck Newsome, STL vs BOS AL
May 26, 1956 - Johnny Klippstein, Hershell Freeman, & Joe Black, CIN at MIL NL
May 26, 1959 - Harvey Haddix, MIL vs PIT NLb
June 14, 1965 - Jim Maloney, CIN vs NY NL
July 26, 1991 - Mark Gardner, MON at LA NL
June 3, 1995 - Pedro Martinez, MON at LA NLc

a - Part of the fabled 'double no-hitter', as Fred Tooney of the Reds completed a 10-inning no-hitter.
b - Haddix had a perfect game through 12 innings, a major league record. He lost the game on an error, a walk, and a hit in the 13th.
c - Martinez had a perfect game through 9 innings, lost the game on two hits in the 10th.

In addition, there have been two games in which the pitcher did not allow any hits while losing on the road, meaning there was no home ninth inning played. These games are not “official” no-hitters under the 1996 ruling.

July 1, 1990 - Andy Hawkins NY at CHI AL
April 12, 1992 - Matt Young BOS at CLE AL

Posted by jbug on 06-08-12 at 09:23 PM
show off

"Teleportation"
Posted by Starshine on 06-08-12 at 04:49 PM
Well it really depends what you mean by teleportation, however scientists have created a copy of matter at a distance which is currently defined as the same thing.

How was the British Museum paid for?

Lovely cheese Mooney

Where are Voice of the Beehive when we need them?

2004 NIST and University of Innsbruck

"RE: Teleportation"
Posted by Molaholic on 06-08-12 at 06:27 PM
How was the British Museum paid for?

Wikipedia tells us that Sir Hans Sloane bequeathed the initial materiel and Parliament issued several loans over the years.

Who is the only pitcher in Major League history with a winning record (above .500) every year he pitched, minimum of 10 years?

Mucho lurve to tribe 2012

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 06-08-12 at 09:06 PM
There's two of them, actually... CC Sabathia and Tim Hudson.

Andy Pettite also has never had a season with less than a .500 record but he did finish with exactly .500 one time. Pedro Martinez had an 0-1 record in his rookie season but otherwise was never at or below .500. Spud Chandler had one season where he was 0-0 in one game pitched, but otherwise was above .500 every year.

New trivia question...

Which word below would you not find in a dictionary?

1) Droogish
2) Furbelow
3) Snickersnee
4) Fartburglar

Posted by Molaholic on 06-08-12 at 09:30 PM
Alas, I must admit you're correct on Sabathia and Hudson. But since they're both active, there's still a chance they can have a disqualifying season.

The answer I had in mind was a crafty lefty named George Herman Ruth.

1914 BOS A 2-1
1915 BOS A 18-8
1916 BOS A 23-12
1917 BOS A 24-13
1918 BOS A 13-7
1919 BOS A 9-5
1920 NY A 1-0
1921 NY A 2-0
1922 NY A 1-0

Oh well...

"British Museum"
Posted by Starshine on 06-09-12 at 01:09 AM
Sort of correct, Sir Hans Sloane left his collection of curiosities to the nation so long as the nation gave 20,000 UKL to his family.

The money for the building was actually raised by holding a national lottery.

Posted by dabo on 06-08-12 at 07:15 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-08-12 AT 08:55 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 06-08-12 AT 07:21 PM (EST)

Alexander the Great was 33 when he died. Cause: unknown, suspected poisoning. Oops, that was already answered. The answer to AyaK's question is: the great Chuck Jones.

What was Cleopatra's full name?

Cleopatra Thea Philopator

"Currently open questions"
Posted by cahaya on 06-08-12 at 09:59 PM
Here are the questions still open for answering. Don't forget to post your own question (which you already know the answer to) when you reply with answer.

1. What color paint would you get if you mixed an equal mixture of red paint, yellow paint and blue paint? (Original post and Post# 18. This had two incorrect answers already.)

2. How many children did Christopher Columbus have? (Post# 14.)

3. Which word below would you not find in a dictionary? (Post# 15.)

1) Droogish
2) Furbelow
3) Snickersnee
4) Fartburglar

4. What was Cleopatra's full name? (Post# 13.)

"RE: Currently open questions"
Posted by Mattyboy on 06-08-12 at 10:09 PM
2. How many children did Christopher Columbus have?

2 children. Diego and Fernando

new question

Humor writer Dave Barry has what kind of building named after him in Grand Forks, ND?

Posted by cahaya on 06-08-12 at 10:22 PM
Correct, and interestingly enough, one by his wife and one by his unmarried "partner" after his wife had died.

Posted by VisionQuest on 06-09-12 at 00:15 AM
Sewage station.

New question -

What are the two double landlocked countries in the world?

Eyes of March by Agman

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 06-09-12 at 04:41 PM
Do you mean a country that is landlocked and next to another nation that is also landlocked?

If so, I can think of one right away - Luxembourg, as it's next to Switzerland which is also landlocked (and Switzerland is next to nations that aren't landlocked). I'd have to think on the other nation.

Posted by Starshine on 06-09-12 at 05:05 PM
But Luxembourg is next to Belgium which is next to the sea...

I think we need countries like Lichtenstein which is surrounded by Austria and Switzerland which are landlocked. Is the other one Uzbekistan?

If so... Who was the first person to circumnavigate the Earth? (hint if you die on the way you didn't circumnavigate the globe)

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 06-09-12 at 05:31 PM
Hummm, I think I do have my "L" nations mixed up! Good catch there, Star. Yeah, Benelux is the first hint that Luxembourg isn't double-landlocked, so Liechtenstein it is...

Posted by taffnic on 06-09-12 at 05:40 PM
Who was the first person to circumnavigate the Earth? Juan Sebastian Elcano

Question
According to Barbie's fictional life story, what were her parents names?

Posted by VisionQuest on 06-10-12 at 09:11 AM
So sorry, I didn't get back to this earlier - life happened. Starshine is correct with both countries.

Eyes of March by Agman

Posted by taffnic on 06-09-12 at 05:32 PM
What was Cleopatra's full name? Cleopatra VII Thea Philopator

My question
Which US city has the hottest average year round temperature?

Posted by Starshine on 06-10-12 at 09:47 AM
Interesting that a lot of sites take "Year round" to mean "July", anyway with a balmy 78 degrees annual average the warmest city is Key West

According to the U.S. Department of State which two countries names (in English) start with the word "The"?
(As in "The United Kingdom", although apparently United Kingdom is the correct appellation)

Posted by Snidget on 06-10-12 at 10:15 AM
without googling...

The Netherlands
The Lesser Antilles

What kind of critter recently discovered was named for Neil Young?

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 06-10-12 at 10:37 AM
What about The Bahamas? I've seen it referred to as both "Bahamas" and "The Bahamas" and I believe it's officially known as The Commonwealth of The Bahamas.

Posted by Starshine on 06-10-12 at 10:59 AM
So far we have Snidget 0 - Pepe 1

Posted by dabo on 06-10-12 at 11:11 AM
The Gambia

http://www.listofcountriesoftheworld.com/

Do I get a half question?

Posted by Starshine on 06-10-12 at 11:43 AM
Go for it!

I'm with Snidget I always think of it as The Netherlands, bit then I still think of Ukraine as The Ukraine which is very un-PC

Posted by dabo on 06-10-12 at 11:51 AM
What kind of critter recently discovered was named for Neil Young?

Posted by Molaholic on 06-10-12 at 12:08 PM
Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi -- a trapdoor spider (sounds strangely familiar)

What U.S. Vice President never served in that office in the National capitol?

Posted by Snidget on 06-10-12 at 02:14 PM
a trapdoor spider (sounds strangely familiar)

Don't know why.

Posted by SpotTheDiffference on 06-11-12 at 02:52 AM
Traditionally, the Philippines will also have "the" before its name.

"Open questions & recap"
Posted by cahaya on 06-10-12 at 12:12 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-10-12 AT 12:46 PM (EST)

Updated through Post# 39.

Here are the questions still open for answering. Don't forget to post your own question (which you already know the answer to) when you reply with your answer.

1. Which word below would you not find in a dictionary? (Post# 15.)

1) Droogish
2) Furbelow
3) Snickersnee
4) Fartburglar

2. How many stooges were members of the Three Stooges (the recent movie doesn't count)? (Post# 23.)

3. According to Barbie's fictional life story, what were her parents names? (Post# 30.)

4. What U.S. Vice President never served in that office in the National capitol? (Post #39.)

---

Correct answers so far:

AyaK 1
cahaya 1
dabo 2½
jbug 2
kingfish 1
Mattyboy 1
MaxHeadroom 1
Molaholic 2
PepeLePew 1½
Starshine 3
taffnic 2
VisionQuest 1

"RE: Open questions & recap"
Posted by kingfish on 06-10-12 at 01:21 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-10-12 AT 01:23 PM (EST)

One right!

YeeeHaw! Go gettum Kingfish! Whose the Fish now? You the Fish, Kingfish! YeeHaw!

<Hooping and hollering and drowning out the other names that are being read>

Posted by cahaya on 06-10-12 at 01:30 PM
I'd high-five you, but how does someone high-five a fish?

Fin Slap!

Posted by Molaholic on 06-10-12 at 03:41 PM
2. How many stooges were members of the Three Stooges (the recent movie doesn't count)? (Post# 23.)

There were six official stooges over the years: Larry, Moe, Shemp, Curly, Joe DiRita and Curly Joe.

What uniform number did Eddie Gaedel wear in his MLB debut?

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 06-10-12 at 08:22 PM
Eddie Gaedel wore the number 1/8 (or "one-eighth" according to the announcer).

Which Toronto Blue Jay hit two home runs during the first-ever game in franchise history and also later became a poster name who tormented Bebo on one reality show forum here on RTVW? (bonus point if you can link to the thread this Blue Jay/poster was on)

Posted by Molaholic on 06-10-12 at 11:43 PM
Doug Ault hit two HRs against the White Sox on April 7, 1977 (Jays won 9-5). I'll pass on the bonus point.

Question: Name all of Steve Douglas's children from "My Three Sons"

Posted by dabo on 06-11-12 at 02:14 PM
Let's see, I think I'll name them Tim and Stanley and...

They were
Mike
Robbie
Chip
Ernie (adopted)
Dodie (step-daughter, also adopted)

Not sure of the spelling on the last, but I believe that's all of them unless you want to include daughters-in-law.

What were the given names of Chip and Dodie?

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 06-11-12 at 04:08 PM
A great little flashback to the good ol' days of this site...

When dougault made his first appearance in a vernonwells thread - he claimed Doug Ault wasn't a baseball player but rather a 16th century political theorist.

Bebo linking to Doug Ault's stats in a rebuttal

Posted by dabo on 06-11-12 at 07:51 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-12-12 AT 05:24 PM (EST)

Joe Besser was billed as Joe in the Three Stooges, Joe DeRita was Curly Joe.

Six was the expected answer, seven would also have been acceptable though you would have had to dig to find it. Emil Sitka, sometimes called the Fourth Stooge. After Larry was sidelined by a stroke in 1970 there were discussions about having Emil replace him as middle stooge. Nothing came of it at the time, but in 1974, with Larry's permission, Moe, Curly Joe and Emil agreed to a Three Stooges contract that would have renewed the act in 1975. Unfortunately, Moe was in failing health when the time came, couldn't work, and after his death it was decided to officially retire the longrunning act. But Emil was officially one of the Three Stooges in 1975.

Emil was also one of the few actors to have worked with all previous incarnations of the Three Stooges.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 06-10-12 at 08:36 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-10-12 AT 08:42 PM (EST)

>3. According to Barbie's fictional life
>story, what were her parents
>names? (Post# 30.)

No idea about the mother, but the father's name was George.

>4. What U.S. Vice President never
>served in that office in
>the National capitol? (Post #39.)

I'm going to say it's the first Vice-President, John Adams, because the Capitol opened for business in 1800.

Edited because I forgot to add in a question...

What name was the city known as before it was incorporated as Toronto in 1834? Bonus if you can also identify the oft-used nickname before it became Toronto, as well.

Posted by taffnic on 06-10-12 at 10:22 PM
What name was the city known as before it was incorporated as Toronto in 1834? York
Bonus if you can also identify the oft-used nickname before it became Toronto, as well. Don't know about the oft-used part but 2 nicknames I found were Muddy York or Little York.

Question
What was the real name of the outlaw Butch Cassidy?

"Centerfold!"
Posted by cahaya on 06-10-12 at 11:01 PM
Hey, you've just gone from Little taffnic to Greater taffnic, as a new Playboy Centerfold!

I just noticed your post count is over 5,000... grats!

Surfkitten Summer sigshop 2008

Posted by jbug on 06-10-12 at 11:02 PM
Butch Cassidy = Robert Leroy Parker
Sundance Kid = Harry Alonzo Longabaugh

One of my favorite movies of all time.

new question:
Who was the father of Cleopatra's son, Ptolemy XV?

Posted by Starshine on 06-11-12 at 08:54 AM
I had to check because I knew him as Caesarion, the father of Ptolemy XV was Gaius Julius Caesar

What did Barack Obama and Mitt Romneys' education have in common?

Posted by jbug on 06-11-12 at 08:57 AM
neither one learned to spell?
neither one finished the 8th grade?

oh wait oh wait, I got it.
They were both born educated in the United States?

Posted by Starshine on 06-11-12 at 09:05 AM
Well... Yes... However I was looking for something or someone more specific

Posted by jbug on 06-11-12 at 09:47 AM

Posted by SpotTheDiffference on 06-11-12 at 09:51 AM
Both are Harvard graduates?

Posted by Starshine on 06-11-12 at 10:06 AM
Something more unusual, It does have to do with Baracks time at Harvard, but not Mitts

Posted by jbug on 06-11-12 at 10:11 AM
they were both bullies?

Posted by kingfish on 06-11-12 at 02:32 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-11-12 AT 02:32 PM (EST)

They both peed off the bell tower at midnight?

Posted by Molaholic on 06-11-12 at 04:15 PM

Posted by jbug on 06-11-12 at 04:49 PM
They both missed a swoop boink?

Posted by cahaya on 06-10-12 at 11:06 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-10-12 AT 11:34 PM (EST)

No idea about the mother, but the father's name was George.

And the mother was Margaret.

From a source: In a series of novels published by Random House in the 1960s, her parents' names are given as George and Margaret Roberts from the fictional town of Willows, Wisconsin.

We'll split the point, and since you answered one and a half question and asked one question I'll add a question.

Question: How many different isotopes of water are there in naturally occurring water sources (like a lake)?

Posted by Molaholic on 06-10-12 at 11:33 PM
>4. What U.S. Vice President never
>served in that office in
>the National capitol? (Post #39.)

I'm going to say it's the first Vice-President, John Adams, because the Capitol opened for business in 1800.

Sorry, not correct. Vice President Adams did serve in the National Capitol of New York City.

Posted by dabo on 06-11-12 at 07:37 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-11-12 AT 08:00 PM (EST)

And Philadelphia.

William R. King, 13th vice president of the United States, elected with President Franklin Pierce. Why he agreed to appear on the ticket is anyone's guess, he knew he had TB (Then a terminal condition though people could live many years with it) and had chosen to retire at the end of his Senate term.

On Inauguration Day, March 4, 1853, King was in Cuba receiving medical treatment, or rather just enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. He officially became vice president though he wasn't in Washington DC and couldn't take the oath of office. He did take the oath of office 20 days later in Cuba, after Congress had passed a special bill to permit it. He remained in Cuba awhile longer then returned to his home in Alabama, where he died on April 18, 1853, having been vice president for 45 days having not been in Washington DC for any of it.

King was an influential politician in his day and did much to cause the Civil War, today he is mostly remembered for having been the rumored lover of James Buchanan, with whom he had shared a house in Washington DC for many years.

Posted by cahaya on 06-11-12 at 11:05 PM
Wow, I don't remember this being in American History class.

Hey, dabo, don't forget to post a follow-up question!

Posted by cahaya on 06-10-12 at 11:30 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-10-12 AT 11:40 PM (EST)

1. Which word below would you not find in a dictionary? (Post# 15.)

1) Droogish
2) Furbelow
3) Snickersnee
4) Fartburglar

It's Fartburglar, although it does appear in the online Urban Dictionary (where any word can show up): A person who farts right after you and steals your thunder, so to speak, claiming they are responsible for the horrible smell when it is really you.

The real word definitions, some of them from old unabridged dictionaries, all English:

Droogish (adj.): Amoral and savage, like a droog.

Furbelow (n.): A plaited or gathered flounce on a woman's garment.

Snickersnee (n.): 1. A knife resembling a sword. 2. (Archaic) The act of fighting with knives.

The question is also found here in the Impossible Quiz: http://www.impossible-quiz.com/explanation.asp?qid=20

---

Question: How many different types of recyclable plastic are there, with the triangular recycling symbol and number identifying the type of plastic to be recycled?

Posted by Silvergirl1 on 06-10-12 at 04:00 PM

1. Brown?
2. Age 32 from a nosebleed.
3. No, they have not.

"Swoop!"
Posted by foonermints on 06-11-12 at 05:03 PM
HAH! ..lazies.. :p

Handcrafted by RollDdice

"Current questions & scoreboard"
Posted by cahaya on 06-11-12 at 11:19 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-12-12 AT 00:56 AM (EST)

Open questions up through post# 72:

1. How many different isotopes of water are there in naturally occurring water sources (like a lake)? (Post# 51.)

2. How many different types of recyclable plastic are there, with the triangular recycling symbol and number identifying the type of plastic to be recycled? (Post# 52.)

3. What did Barack Obama and Mitt Romneys' education have in common? (Post# 57.)

4. What were the given names (actual first names) of the "My Three Sons" characters "Chip" Douglas and "Dodie" Harper Douglas? (Post# 70.)

Correct answers so far:

AyaK 1
cahaya 2½
dabo 4½
jbug 3
kingfish 1
Mattyboy 1
MaxHeadroom 1
Molaholic 4
PepeLePew 2½+½=3
Starshine 4
taffnic 3
VisionQuest 1

"RE: Current questions & scoreboard"
Posted by dabo on 06-12-12 at 00:28 AM
I already asked this but okay...

What were the given names (actual first names) of the "My Three Sons" characters "Chip" Douglas and "Dodie" Harper Douglas?

Posted by cahaya on 06-12-12 at 00:57 AM
Ah, okay, updated. I wasn't sure if that was a question or not.

Posted by taffnic on 06-12-12 at 01:08 AM
Richard "Chip" Douglas and Dorothy "Dodie" Harper Douglas

What country controlled the Marshall Islands before Japan got them during World war 2?

Posted by dabo on 06-12-12 at 10:43 PM
Japan took control of the Marshall Islands in World War 1, they were incorporated then into the South Pacific Mandate (modern Palau, Northern Mariana Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, and Marshall Islands) administered by Japan. In short, Japan didn't get them during World War 2, only lost them.

Posted by jbug on 06-12-12 at 09:35 AM
How many different types of recyclable plastic are there, with the triangular recycling symbol and number identifying the type of plastic to be recycled? (Post# 52.)

ELVIS Question:
What was the original color of the pink Cadillac?

Posted by dabo on 06-12-12 at 10:28 PM
Well, assuming the wikipediacs got it right, Elvis' Pink Cadillac page.

On July 5, 1955, Elvis purchased a new Cadillac Fleetwood Series 60 in blue with a black roof. Having mentioned a Pink Cadillac in the song Baby, Let's Play House, the first song recorded by Elvis to appear on a national chart which made #5 on the Billboard Country Singles chart in July 1955; Elvis had the car repainted by Art, a neighbour on Lamar Street. Art designed a customised pink colour for Elvis which he named "Elvis Rose," but the car kept its black roof. Once the car was finished Elvis gave it to his mother Gladys as a gift. Mrs. Gladys Presley never had a driver's license, and Elvis drove the car with the members of his band for most of 1955–1956.

On September 2, 1955, Scotty Moore drove the car into a vehicle which was passing a pick-up truck in Texarkana, Texas, causing $1000 of damage. Having signed his contract with RCA in November 1955, in March 1956 Elvis had the upholstery replaced, the body retouched and roof painted white.

On his return from military service in Germany in 1960, Presley lent the car to his US Army buddy Joe Esposito, having bought himself a white with pink roofed 1961 Cadillac Coupe de Ville.

Darn, if I'm right I'll have to think of another question.

Posted by dabo on 06-14-12 at 00:25 AM
Um, okay. Two-part question. Summer Olympics coming up soon, so...

What are the longest held records (mens and womens) in the modern summer Olympics? (Sports records, not inclusive of retired events.)

Posted by tribephyl on 06-23-12 at 05:45 PM
What are the longest held records (mens and womens) in the modern summer Olympics?
men's long jump/Bob Beamon - 23years (bested by Mike Powell in 1991)
women's high jump/Stefka Kostadinova - 25years (current record holder)

Question: Which performance (where - when - how long) of the Grateful Dead's 'Dark Star' is considered to be the longest free-standing version?

"Post 57"
Posted by Starshine on 06-23-12 at 11:18 AM
Q. What did Barack Obama and Mitt Romneys' education have in common?

A. Sidney Barthwell

Just because when scanning the archives I so often wonder what?

"RE: Post 57"
Posted by cahaya on 06-23-12 at 01:34 PM
We've got a winner here!

Now, what is your question in return?