URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37555
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"RIP Richard Dawson"

Posted by moonbaby on 06-03-12 at 11:18 AM
Off to that great game show in the sky:

http://news.yahoo.com/family-feud-tv-host-richard-dawson-died-142027262.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Richard Dawson, the wisecracking British entertainer who was among the schemers in the 1960s sitcom "Hogan's Heroes" and a decade later began kissing thousands of female contestants as host of the game show "Family Feud" has died. He was 79.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: RIP Richard Dawson"
Posted by agman on 06-03-12 at 11:46 AM
RIP Richard

Posted by AyaK on 06-03-12 at 12:00 PM
Between Match Game and Family Feud, Richard Dawson set the gold standard for game shows. Dawson was both clever and quick, and he was particularly excellent in getting people to laugh at themselves along with the audience. I loved Dawson's self-parody in The Running Man, because it showed that he was as willing to laugh at himself as he was to laugh at others.

He'll live on in re-runs . . .

"Survey Says..."
Posted by Molaholic on 06-03-12 at 12:08 PM
One of the true gems of the entertainment industry. Made the transition from TV comedy to game show master and brought joy to millions.

RIP Cpl. Newkirk

Posted by Max Headroom on 06-03-12 at 12:38 PM
That's a shame, he was one of the all-time great game show hosts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpSbeiPLB30

RIP.

"Name a person"
Posted by IceCat on 06-03-12 at 01:55 PM

... who just recently died and who you already thought was dead.

"RE: Name a person"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 06-03-12 at 06:03 PM
No kidding, I thought he was long, long gone for some reason.

RIP, Richard... I enjoyed watching him on Family Feud when I was much younger.

Posted by qwertypie on 06-03-12 at 06:30 PM
Me too -- msut be a Canadian thing.

Posted by AyaK on 06-03-12 at 07:23 PM
As my kids were watching Steve Harvey stumble his way through the current version of Family Feud one night last week, my younger daughter asked me if Richard Dawson was still alive. Amazingly (because I really had no idea), I correctly told her that he was, because I thought I would have remembered his death.

Needless to say, she brought that up today when the TV stations were running stories about his death.

Posted by jbug on 06-03-12 at 04:19 PM
Family Feuds will never be the same without him.

Agman brightens my life May 2012

"Survey says...!"
Posted by Estee on 06-03-12 at 09:20 PM
5. So now the Match Game contestants will have to pick someone else.

(The Star Wheel from the later part of the run was instituted just to keep people from taking Dawson over and over and over. And the first time it was spun, his section came up. The panel walked out.)

4. There went five hours of NBC's fall schedule.

3. One hundred corpses surveyed: top five dead silences on the board...

2. But with the next game show host death, the points will count triple!

1. And they say kissing doesn't transmit disease.

"RE: Survey says...!"
Posted by cahaya on 06-03-12 at 11:27 PM
That subject title reminds me of someone who hasn't been here in OT in quite a long time...

Posted by VisionQuest on 06-03-12 at 09:26 PM
Loved him on Hogan's Heroes and Match Game - he got a little creepy on Family Feud.

RIP

Eyes of March by Agman

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 06-03-12 at 10:08 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-12 AT 10:13 PM (EST)

I wonder how many harassment suits went with him to the grave?

Posted by suzzee on 06-03-12 at 10:14 PM
I wonder how many dates......

I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 06-03-12 at 10:21 PM
Not sure if you know... he met his wife Gretchen when she was a contestant on Family Feud a number of years before they got married.

Posted by Max Headroom on 06-04-12 at 09:40 AM
They were still married when Richard died and they had a daughter together, so obviously it worked out despite the odd beginning of the relationship.

Posted by agman on 06-03-12 at 11:23 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-12 AT 11:23 PM (EST)

Since he's passed, is there anybody left from the Hogan's Hero's television series?

Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 06-04-12 at 03:21 AM
Not many are still up and kicking:
Robert Clary (LaBeau)
Kenneth Washington (Baker)
Cynthia Lynn (Helga)

And, given his open hostility over not getting the role of Hogan, we well as other things, I don't think many of his co-stars would have been mourning him.

Interesting side note: all of the actors playing the main German characters were Jewish, including Sgt Schultz, Col. Klink, General Burkhalter, and Col. Wolfstetter.
Werner Klemperer's parents fought in the anti-Nazi resistance during the war.

Posted by AyaK on 06-04-12 at 04:46 AM
You know, there's something I always wondered about with Dawson. When Hogan's Heroes started up, Dawson was married to British sex symbol Diana Dors, and they had two young sons, but his marriage was falling apart. During the second season of Hogan's Heroes, Dors returned to England, leaving the boys with Dawson (for good, as it turned out), and got a divorce.

Today, we know that Diana Dors was interested in kinky sex, multiple partners and videotaping sex, all of which became public knowledge during her third marriage. But we also know now that Bob Crane was also interested in all of the same things. You have to wonder if there might not have been a reason that . . . well, you're all smart people, so you know where I'm going with this.

Posted by agman on 06-04-12 at 09:46 AM
It sure does make you wonder. I have never heard that about his ex-wife before. Bob Crane, on the other hand, very well documented.

Posted by dabo on 06-04-12 at 10:16 AM
LAST EDITED ON 06-04-12 AT 04:49 PM (EST)

Robert Clary (LeBeau), also Jewish, survived three years in the concentration camps. Clary says in the recorded commentary on the DVD version of episode "Art for Hogan's Sake" that he spent three years in a concentration camp, that his parents and other family members were killed there, and that he has an identity tattoo from the camp on his arm ("A-5714"). Likewise John Banner had been held in a (pre-war) concentration camp and his family was exterminated during the war. Leon Askin was also in a pre-war French internment camp and his parents were killed at Treblinka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan%27s_Heroes

Banner attempted to sum up the paradox of his role by saying, "Who can play Nazis better than us Jews?" Ironically, although Klemperer, Banner, Caine, Gould, and Askin play typecast World War II German types, all had actually served in the US Armed Forces during World War II — Banner (Schultz) and Askin (Burkhalter) in the US Army Air Corps, Caine (Hochstetter) in the US Navy, Gould (General von Schlomm / General Von Lintzer / General von Scheider) with the US Army, and Klemperer (Klink) in a US Army Entertainment Unit.

Posted by AyaK on 06-04-12 at 03:55 PM
The link below is the movie in which John Banner first employed the characterization of a German border guard that he later turned into Sgt. Schultz. If you've never seen it, the end segment is worth seeing just to see Banner, who provides the only comic relief in the whole movie (but isn't an incompetent, unlike Schultz -- it's actually a better Schultz portrayal):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36_Hours

Posted by dabo on 06-05-12 at 02:03 AM
Wow. I sourced up the trailer for that on youtube, it seemed familiar, it may have been the one James Garner film I got totally bored with after about 20 minutes and turned off. Shame I missed the good part, the one good part.

My bad.

Banner had an interesting career, he played a lot of heavies during the '40's thru early '60's, initially working with phonetically written scripts which helped him to learn English. But he could play comedy as well, which worked for him on TV.

I always thought Schultz knew more than he would admit, and was secretly rooting for/working for the POWs.

Posted by dabo on 06-04-12 at 01:16 AM
Rest in peace, Richard. Family Feud just isn't as good since he left.

I guess this means Robert (LeBeau) is the last of the Heroes.

Posted by samboohoo on 06-04-12 at 09:32 AM
RIP Richard. Although, I thought he was already gone.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie