URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 37413
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Hunger Games"

Posted by Mattyboy on 03-27-12 at 03:12 PM
Well I swore up, down, left and right that I wouldn't get sucked into the latest book/movie craze. But after being told by many people I had to read them, I started the first book in the Hunger Games series.

While I still find the basic premise a little disturbing, I'm so far intrigued enough to keep reading and will probably go see the movie once I finish the book.

So anyone else read the books? Seen the movie?

Thoughts on any of it?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Hunger Games"
Posted by foonermints on 03-27-12 at 03:31 PM
I'm interested to hear more about this myself.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by Pretty_Kitty on 03-27-12 at 03:58 PM
I read the entire series in a week. Couldn't put the books down. When I couldnt find a used copy of the second book(I live in a college town with numerous used book stores which were all sold out) I shelled out $20 bucks for a new copy.

I saw the movie last weekend I was not disappointed. I find I always prefer the book version of something to the movie but other then a few details that will become important in movies 2, 3 & 4 I was quite satisfied.

I almost always read non fiction but as far as fiction goes I was obsessed with The Hunger Games. OBSESSED I TELL YOU!

I am 40 years old and Ive never read or seen a Twilight anything but the comparisons annoy the carp out of me. Where in the Hunger Games in there a vampire or werewolf?? Pulease! And Ive never seen Battle Royale (although now Im curious) so I hate the comparisons.

Is it the finest literature ever written? No. But its entertaining and quite frankly not so far fetched when you look at the way the world is going.

My 2 cents.. PK

"Grit"
Posted by foonermints on 03-27-12 at 04:09 PM
Beats me up for Clive Cussler, but what can you do?

*hides*

Posted by samboohoo on 03-27-12 at 04:17 PM
Not even remotely interested in the books or the movie. Not my cup of tea. I feel the same about Twilight and Harry Potter.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by Mattyboy on 03-27-12 at 04:26 PM
>Not even remotely interested in the
>books or the movie.
>Not my cup of tea.
> I feel the same
>about Twilight and Harry Potter.
>
>
>
>>"navy"] Samboobree, brought to life
>by Arkie

i feel the same about twilight and harry potter and felt that way about Hunger Games until it was recommended by 2 friends with almost identical tastes in books and movies.

Posted by weltek on 03-27-12 at 06:51 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-27-12 AT 06:52 PM (EST)

Ditto to Matty.
I'm not into anything supernatural, particularly not young adult "paranormal fiction." But Hunger Games was just "futuristic" (yet primal) and had a compelling story. The author says she was inspired by watching Survivor and coverage of the Iraq war (or was it Afghanistan?) in the same evening. I can see how that inspired the books.

I've only read the first book (a one-three day read for almost every adult). I really enjoyed it. I saw the movie with my niece and my husband. We all found it compelling. Greatest movie? Nah. But it was a good PG-13 movie.

Boo-it would be a great beach read.

-Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 04-06-12 at 11:12 PM
Just read the book today - took me a couple of hours to finish it, found it to be an easy read with an interesting plot - not the greatest writing in the world but it was effective to keep the storyline moving fast. And yes, I could easily see the 'Survivor' influence on the book - are we that far off from seeing bootees being executed by Jiffy after each vote...live on TV?

The scary thing? It's not unfathomable that something like 'The Hunger Games' could happen in real life in, let's say, 25 years from now.

Posted by qwertypie on 04-07-12 at 01:20 AM
The manipulation of the game makers actually reminded more of Big Brother.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 04-07-12 at 11:14 AM
I've never watched Big Brother (other than maybe 3 or 4 episodes with Evel Dick and his daughter in their first go-around), so I don't have much to base it on, but I've seen manipulation by the editors in Survivor so I can easily see it happening.

Jiffy has been known to lead contestants along with leading questions in TC and challenges have been set up to favour certain contestants over others. There's, of course, the infamous lawsuit by Stacey accusing the producers of rigging the vote so that she would go instead of Rudy who was TV gold.

Posted by qwertypie on 04-08-12 at 01:26 AM
True. I was thinking more of the first season of BB (you know, the one beforeWill -- I think I was one of only 8 people to watch it) and since the housemates were bonding and this didn't make for great TV (in their opinion), BB desperate attempts to cause strife were very noticeable and kind of clumsy. The format for season one had every housemate nominate two people for eviction and then America voted who was let go. One nomination process (I think they were down to 7 at this point) had every housemate get exactly 2 votes -- there was a 7 way tie to America to vote on. This didn't sit well with BB and the following season the format change occured and the future additions of slop diet, etc. Considering one person had an anaphylactic reaction to the slop (she had disclosed she was allergic to shellfish and the producers didn't bother checking to see if the slop was OK for her), another had a lowblood sugar reaction that needed medical attention and another girl had a knife pulled on her by a house guest when they were drunk, I think you are more likely to be killled while on BB than Survivor. Because of the stunt casting of obnoxious people that is more extreme on Big Brother, I know I would more likely kill my fellow competitors on that show than on Survivor.

Posted by mrc on 03-27-12 at 04:23 PM
Started the first book last night and made it through the lottery picks for the Hunger Games. It's okay so far.

A Slice of Manga

Posted by agman on 04-05-12 at 10:58 AM
I finally read it and it wasn't bad.

Posted by zombiebaby on 03-27-12 at 04:43 PM
I've been interested. It does look better than Twilight. I am not interested in Harry Potter at all, although my 9 1/2 year old daughter has read all the HP and has gone back to reread.

I got a free sample on my kindle fire and it seemed ok to me. I'm still on the fence about getting the whole book.

The movies actually look better to me than the books.

Posted by qwertypie on 03-27-12 at 06:50 PM
Just read Hunger Games, the series has real potential. I kept getting a "Big Brother" (the horrible reality tv series) feel when I got to the actual games part. Just less hooking up. I am sure BB is going to devolve into something like this in a few years. And I must admit, it is not necessarily a bad thing. As to the comparison with Twillight - I forced myself to read the first two books because DD was interested in reading them. I am a voracious reader and could not bring myself to start the last two books. They were that bad.

Posted by Mattyboy on 03-27-12 at 07:36 PM
>Just read Hunger Games, the series
>has real potential. I
>kept getting a "Big Brother"
>(the horrible reality tv series)
>feel when I got to
>the actual games part.
>Just less hooking up.
>I am sure BB is
>going to devolve into something
>like this in a few
>years. And I must
>admit, it is not necessarily
>a bad thing. As
>to the comparison with Twillight
>- I forced myself
>to read the first two
>books because DD was interested
>in reading them. I
>am a voracious reader and
>could not bring myself to
>start the last two books.
> They were that bad.
>

Rob C. from survivor has some interesting thoughts on hunger games being a reality show.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/03/26/survivor-rob-cesternino-hunger-games/

Posted by Silvergirl1 on 03-29-12 at 04:04 PM

I forced myself to read the first Twilight book, and then said "Never again."

I have a friend who still tries to get me to read the books, so we can go to the movies together. I refuse, politely. They remind me of Love comic books from the sixties. It's all about the yearning.

I have not read Hunger Games, but I did go see the movie, and I thought it was entertaining. I'm not sure if I want to read the books, as I have a bunch of other stuff I would rather read first.

Looking forward to Spring!!

Posted by qwertypie on 03-31-12 at 10:08 AM
I am actually appalled that the twillight franchise is so popular amoung tweens/teens. Bella does not think her life is worth living unless she is with Edward (and actually subconciously tries to kill herself several times in book two to be with him, and he almost does the same when he thinks she is dead. It is supposed to be sooooo romantic - like Romeo and Juliette. Actually, I wish they had succeeded -- it would have saved us from 2 books and 3 more movies.) And his behaviour towards her exhibits the signs of someone who is abusive and controlling. I am worried the fans think this behaviour is normal and desireable in a healthy relationship.

Posted by AyaK on 04-02-12 at 08:05 PM
Actually, I think teens are treating The Twilight Saga more as camp, because it's so far over the top. I don't know about tweens.

Posted by qwertypie on 04-07-12 at 01:17 AM
I really hope so, but I think you are more optimistic than me.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 03-27-12 at 07:33 PM
48 hours ago, I had never heard of the book. Shows you what I know about it.

Posted by kidflash212 on 03-27-12 at 07:45 PM
Me neither - just starting hearing about the movies recently. I assumed the concept was a statement on war (elders sending children off to kill each other) and possibly reality TV (before I read what Weltek just posted above). Didn't really interest me.

Posted by agman on 03-28-12 at 10:04 AM
Taking DD to it this weekend, I will let you know what I think of it!

Posted by grit on 03-28-12 at 10:08 AM
My brother gave me a Kindle and a $25 gift card for my birthday last June. The Hunger Games trilogy was my first purchase. My younger daughter and my S-I-L who's studying to be a librarian had read the books earlier and raved about them, so I thought I would give it a try.

The books are pretty good. The third one was not the best but it was a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. The previews I've seen for the movie look very good. The critics have given the movie very high ratings. My family will probably see the movie in a couple of weeks after all the buzz starts to die down a little.

I read the Twilight books only because my daughters were reading them and I wanted to know what they were all about. What dreckitude. Stephenie Meyer is a schlock writer. Hunger Games is much better. Suzanne Collins is a better writer, but I would still have to put JK Rowlings above her.

I got sliced!

Posted by Mattyboy on 03-28-12 at 01:05 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/race-controversy-over-hunger-games-182705585.html

*jaw drops open*

I, for the first time in my life, have nothing to say.

Posted by agman on 03-28-12 at 01:42 PM
*shakes head*

Posted by grit on 03-28-12 at 07:35 PM
Mattyboy, repeat after me:

People are idiots.

That little mantra helps explain so much in this world.

I got sliced!

BTW, welcome to the boards. You seem relatively sane. How'd you end up here?

Posted by Mattyboy on 03-28-12 at 07:45 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-12 AT 07:45 PM (EST)

>
>BTW, welcome to the boards. You
>seem relatively sane. How'd you
>end up here?

Well I was here years ago, way back during survivor 1 and 2. Had an account back then, but only posted maybe 4 times total.

been lurking around ever since, reading stuff, but never posting.

and then I decided to just make a new account and actually post more. can't remember what my old username was and it was with a different email address than i have now, so i made a new one.

not sure about the sane part,lol.
I live in North Dakota, where you have to be just a little bit on the crazy side to survive. I work at a bakery, kind of the jack of all trades kind of person, doing whatever they need me to do. It can be a dirty, greasy job and the hours aren't always great, but I love the people i work with, so it balances out well.

Posted by CTgirl on 03-28-12 at 08:21 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-12 AT 08:22 PM (EST)

Welcome Matty! Glad you delurked.

And good first thresd. I was thinking the same thing about the Hunger Games but I haven't started the books yet.

Posted by Tummy on 03-28-12 at 06:43 PM
Dittoes grit. And yes, I enjoyed it.

Posted by agman on 03-28-12 at 06:49 PM
I'm there Friday to see it. Was it pretty good?

Posted by AyaK on 03-28-12 at 08:31 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-12 AT 08:37 PM (EST)

About 6 months ago, my younger daughter started reading The Hunger Games, One day I asked her about the story, and she told me the concept. I told her where I'd read a similar story before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Walk

And, of course, the government-sponsored reality TV show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Running_Man

Suzanne Collins added the overlay of the Roman gladiators to the battle scenes and the teen-girl-friendly Twilight-reminiscent triangle of Katniss-Gale-Peeta (what teen girl doesn't want two guys chasing her?), but the general concepts were Richard Bachman's.

So what did "Bachman" think of The Hunger Games? He liked it:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20419951_20223443,00.html

But I haven't read the book or seen the movie, so I'll defer on those questions. I'll just say that both of my daughters loved the book, but they're split on the movie.

Posted by thndrkttn on 03-29-12 at 04:20 PM
I have heard of the Hunger Games but I had no idea what the premise/plot was behind them and have honestly been too lazy/busy to look it up.

As soon as you posted the link to "The Long Walk", my jaw dropped open and I had an idea of what it was about. I read "The Long Walk" my senior year of college and that story disturbed me on so many levels. For about two weeks, I didn't 'sit down' without thinking about it.

Posted by agman on 03-29-12 at 04:32 PM
Hunger games brings to mind this movie too

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0471041/

Posted by agman on 03-31-12 at 00:09 AM

I just got back from seeing Hunger Games and I thought it was really well done. My daughter said it was almost exactly like the book. I give it one surfboard up!

Posted by Riordan on 03-31-12 at 09:16 AM
A friend loaned me all three books last summer. I read them in order, twice, in about a week. So, I liked them, obviously. Saw the movie opening day and enjoyed it as well. Though the book is ALWAYS better.

When I found out the movie was coming out, I convinced DD to read them. She liked them so much that she spent her money to buy them all for her Kindle (after she had already read them all from the library). She and her friends loved the movie.

Posted by Pretty_Kitty on 04-01-12 at 05:05 PM
I read the whole series for the first time 3 weeks ago and I just finished re reading Catching Fire today

Posted by motormouth on 04-02-12 at 03:27 PM
I started book one on Friday and finished book three yesterday. It's been a while since I was that invested in a book series. I never did read Twilight, so can't compare. Anyways, I thought the books were a great, easy read. Except when I was home alone on Saturday night reading book 2 at 3am, I found it all made me quite jumpy! I will go see the movie sometime this week. Very interesting storyline!

Posted by qwertypie on 04-05-12 at 12:17 PM
I never did read Twilight, so can't compare
Consider yourself lucky!

Posted by Mattyboy on 04-06-12 at 09:34 PM
Overheard on the bus today

person 1 "what's that new movie, the hunting games, about?"

person 2 "it's like gladiator set in the future"

person 1 "oh sounds lame"

---

Anyway, going to see it with a couple friends shortly. will report back with my thoughts later.

"So......................"
Posted by agman on 04-09-12 at 09:33 AM
Did you like it?

"RE: So......................"
Posted by Mattyboy on 04-09-12 at 04:48 PM
ehh, it was okay. Kind of boring having read the book so close to seeing the movie, knowing pretty much everything that was going to happen before it happened.

but the 2 friends I was with that haven't read the book both said they loved it.