URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID88
Thread Number: 370
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Song Selections for this week"

Posted by Loree on 08-13-06 at 10:02 PM
It is the stripped down week...

Zayra – Lluvia De Mar (original song)
Magni – Starman (David Bowie)
Patrice – Message in a Bottle (The Police)
Lukas – Hero (Chad Kroeger)
Storm – I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor)
Toby – Solsbury Hill (Peter Gabriel)
Ryan – In the Air Tonight (Phil Collins)
Dilana – Cat’s in the Cradle (Harry Chapin)

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Song Selections for this week"
Posted by Glow on 08-13-06 at 10:48 PM
Me no likey Nickleback. I'm sure though, with Lukas singing it, stripped down no less, that I'll forget all about Chad Kroeger.

Zayra sounded gorgeous, but I'm worried (slightly) about her singing it in Spanish.

Ryan should have fought harder for the original. But he got one of the best songs on the list anyway.

Interesting that Dilana took Lukas' advice, huh? He must have felt like he owed her (which he did) for suggesting he do "Creep" last week.

“Music has been my best friend my whole life, because music doesn’t betray you.” - Lukas Rossi

Posted by MKitty on 08-15-06 at 11:50 AM
I agree about Nickleback...definately NOT a fan...so I hope that Lukas can rescue it! Interesting note, I heard "Creep" on the radio on the way to work this morning. I have to say that Lukas's version was just as good, if not better (that may be sacrilege to some..but he did give me goosebumps)

Posted by xwraith27 on 08-14-06 at 00:02 AM
Zayra – Lluvia De Mar (original song)

I hate to admit it, but I'm actually looking forward to hearing Zayra sing an original song this week. I've thought for some time now that Zayra's accent is a major hindrance for me from enjoying her performances. So, if the accent doesn't work for the song, make the song work for the accent.

Storm – I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor)

This? This I gotta see to believe.

Posted by cycles2k on 08-14-06 at 00:53 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-14-06 AT 00:54 AM (EST)

Thanks for the list. Excuse my ignorance but what does "The stripped down week..." mean?

I didn't like the songs when I read last weeks list, yet it was the best episode so far. This weeks list looks great, so I am going to have to keep my expectations low so that I can again be pleasantly surprised.

Hope Zayra does well with her original song.

Magni - "Starman" should be good.

Patrice, "Message in a bottle is an easy song". I have a feeling that this will be mediocre.

Lukas - Should have no trouble with "Hero."

Storm - We never saw classy Storm coming so maybe Disco Storm singing "I Will Survive" will emerge.

Toby - I wonder if he can do "Solsbury Hill" justice.

Ryan - He is already spooky and "In the air tonight" is a spooky song.

Dilana - "Cats in the cradle" might be wierd when sung by a woman with a deep voice, but who knows.

PS: I miss Harry Chapin. Sigh.

Posted by xwraith27 on 08-14-06 at 03:54 AM
Excuse my ignorance but what does "The stripped down week..." mean?

I believe this means that we won't see any 'heavy' rocking this week. Remember acoustic night from last season? I'm expecting something close to that.

Posted by Loree on 08-14-06 at 07:03 AM
Yes, this is what stripped down means. The band said last week they wanted all of the singers to do this for a performance to really show off their voices. Hopefully they will only do this once since I think we will all miss the Rock.

Posted by cheesybread on 08-14-06 at 09:06 AM

Funny, didn't Tommy say he wanted to see Storm rock out again this week? How would she do that with any of these songs, save for an original, possibly? Or did he say he "looked forward to " her rocking out again? I can't remember.

Anyway, I am looking forward to "In the Air Tonight". That is one of my favorite songs. I listened to a live CD of Phil Collins performing it and I was dissapointed, actually. He tried to make it sweeter and softer. I would love to see Ryan do it darker, grittier, and a little angry. I think Marty would have been incredible with this, but alas, that was last season.

Posted by cycles2k on 08-14-06 at 11:49 PM
Remember acoustic night from last season? I'm expecting something close to that

Thank you for the info. I enjoy the accoustic versions of many songs so this week might be a real treat for me. I'm still trying keep my expectations in check because they went through the roof after last weeks episode.

Posted by weltek on 08-14-06 at 09:40 AM
*yawn* Somebody had better surprise me this week because I'm already underwhelmed.

Posted by nailbone on 08-14-06 at 10:08 AM
Interesting that only one of them is doing an original song. Why don't more of them do that?

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster and OT Fantasy Football Champ! o-

Posted by Snidget on 08-14-06 at 10:33 AM
I'm wondering if maybe there was one of the song choices labeled do an original song so only one person could choose it?

Seems that they only have as many choices as peeps so I would think that with the structure of the choose a song thing they might do it that way.

Is this the original lyrics they did to Supernova's song or a completely original song? That may effect the number they allow. The house band always sounds really well rehersed (unlike the AI band that often svcks) and I wonder if part of that is they have a lot of info ahead of time about a fairly limited number of songs. I know they adapt things based on what each rocker does with a song, but they don't sound to me like they are learning all those songs from scratch in the same time frame the rockers have from selection to performance.

It's a tribe creation!

Posted by Glow on 08-14-06 at 02:37 PM
A completely original song.

Ryan found the songs this week. His eyes were immediately drawn to the blank music sheet that said, "Your Original". He was practically salivating. Lots of people wanted to do it, of course, but in the end, it was Ryan and Z fighting over it. *giggle* She kept saying, "Ryan, I really really really want this." He goes, "You can say 'really' as much as you want. I really want it too." She goes, "yeah, but I really really want it." Anyway, Toby, Lukas and (I believe) Magni convinced him to do "In the Air Tonight". He gave in eventually saying of the songs listed, this is the one he could most make his own.

There was also a fight over "Solsbury Hill" because Gilby is playing on it. This resulted in Toby running naked around the pool to get the song.

“Music has been my best friend my whole life, because music doesn’t betray you.” - Lukas Rossi

Posted by cycles2k on 08-14-06 at 11:56 PM
"This resulted in Toby running naked around the pool to get the song. "

So that is what they mean by stripped down week.

Posted by nailbone on 08-14-06 at 03:30 PM
Is this the original lyrics they did to Supernova's song or a completely original song?

It's one of her own songs, off her album Ruleta that's already released.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 08-15-06 at 02:44 PM
Well, there are many rearrangements.

Also, on elimination night the bottom three pick what they want. So I think it is more that the Houseband is really good rather than the houseband has had much time to rehearse.

Posted by michel on 08-14-06 at 10:24 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-14-06 AT 10:25 AM (EST)

There's only 3 songs I like this week:

Toby – Solsbury Hill (Peter Gabriel): Gabriel's wonderful song explaining his decision to leave Genesis is jovial, light-hearted but with just a hint of worry. How can such a personal song be covered without losing all its emotion and meaning? Luckily for Toby's fans, Patrice is still around.

Ryan – In the Air Tonight (Phil Collins): This dark melody can easily be overdone by Ryan.

Magni – Starman (David Bowie) Great song but Bowie will test even Magni.

Besides Magni, the other three top contenders, Lukas, Dilana and Storm don't have very interesting songs. Lets hope they can make something out of them.

The others...?
Zayra – Lluvia De Mar (original song) Isn't anything she does "original"? This may be too much!!

Patrice – Message in a Bottle (The Police) I thought it would be last week but Bye-Bye Patrice!

Posted by geg6 on 08-14-06 at 10:25 AM
Well, there's a play list I never hope to see again. Blech!

Posted by rockdog on 08-14-06 at 11:23 AM
This is heavy metal for American Idol. What's up with this show.
(Looks like Storm had too much to drink in Vagas)

Posted by Savahnna on 08-15-06 at 10:56 AM
Sorry. I hope Dilana blows Cat's in the Cradle

But even if I think she will....who am I kidding? They'll love it.

Posted by MKitty on 08-15-06 at 11:45 AM
I think there are some very intersting songs for this week. It's kind of funny that they always throw in an "odd duck" song each week to see how the rawkers handle it (Jenny 8675301, etc..) so I am curious to see what Storm does with "I will survive". I love that song, but from what I saw on the show last night, I think she would be better off rocking it up a bit...it's a strong, strong song and not a soft and gentle one. Interesting too how they didn't even show Lukas, Patrice and Magni last night..I didn't even know what they were singing until I read this post!

I agree with one of the posters in this thread about Patrice...I can't see her doing justice to Message in a Bottle...I fear it will be a little bland. I hope Magni steps it up for Starman...I LOVE that song. I think Ryan is very capble of doing a fabulous haunting In the Air tonight, ditto for Cat's in the Cradle from Dilana, and yes, I am very, very curious to see Zayra do her "original" song.

Posted by nailbone on 08-15-06 at 02:37 PM
I hear Lukas really gakked it up this week, and may be one of the bottom 3, and MAY be the one sent home.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 08-15-06 at 02:47 PM
>I hear Lukas really gakked
>it up this week, and
>may be one of the
>bottom 3, and MAY be
>the one sent home.
>
>

>>color="maroon" size=1] Holey carp! >My blog!> MySpace!
>Official OT Tassel Adjuster and OT
>Fantasy Football Champ!

>
> o-

>

Are you kidding? Lukas aint going anywhere this week.

Posted by nailbone on 08-15-06 at 03:09 PM
SSSSHHHH!!!!! Yes, I'm kidding. Hence, the at the end. But I don't want Glow to notice that.

Posted by SherpaDave on 08-15-06 at 03:19 PM
I was about to say... what bet did you lose to force you to post that?

See Dave write. See Dave edit. See Dave blog. See Dave space.

"Incoming Glowie in....."
Posted by Magnolia_Rocker on 08-15-06 at 02:55 PM

A Tribe Original!

Posted by Glow on 08-15-06 at 03:20 PM
That's slightly different than what I heard. *kick*