URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID114
Thread Number: 37
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"*waits patiently*"

Posted by foonermints on 12-12-07 at 05:39 PM
For the flaming tumbleweed of kid nation to blow away. Will there be a Kid Nation II? Where? Will they have to sign a longer consent form?

As much fun as it may have been, and I'm sorry there wasn't enough air time for many of the kids, I'm just not sure about the responsibilities of the creators.

So kill me.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: *waits patiently*"
Posted by mysticwolf on 12-12-07 at 11:27 PM
So far KN2 is evidently still up in the air. They did application, interviews, and supposedly cast for one, the production crew, etc. is set, but they haven't actually filmed, so speculation that I've seen is that it's very likely and that it would certainly be an easy one to move forward with if they needed a filler at some point. (I'm thinking, lets see what the reaction to this one is combined with a hedge against a prolonged writer's strike.)

One interesting side note. According to what I read there was one major difference between casting for KN1 and KN2. For KN2 all of the kids, and their parents, were required to have valid passports. Hmmmm.

I've liked this one well enough I'd certainly watch another season.

"Silent Night. Holy Night. All is calm..."
Thanks to Tribe.

Posted by batts on 12-13-07 at 06:01 AM
Hey, they did The Real Gilligans Island II...

Its owwwnnn , Lak a Chicken Bone!

Posted by Agman2 on 01-15-16 at 05:08 PM
I want Ginger, I want Ginger, I want Ginger

Posted by kingfish on 12-13-07 at 08:58 AM
Yeah, that consent form seems to be pretty one-sided. The producers could sell the kids into slavery without repercussions. But now that they have proven to the grownups that kids can rule themselves (they really didn't learn that much, did they, the lesson should have been that no one can rule themselves, but oh well..), now they should next form a kid labor union.

And go on strike. By Jiminey.

Throw bean bags at strike breaking scabs that the network goons hire to replace them as they showup for work.

I was entertained enough to tune in when I could, but they (the producers) will have to vary something. Once was enough for me if all they will be is cute kids behaving like kids. A One Trick Pony show.

The ending did have it's heartstring twanging parts. I remember as a pre-grade school kid crying my eyes out when my parents left me at summer camp (one week) with strangers, and crying my eyes out again when they picked me up again and took me from my best friends.

And for the parents, reuniting with your kid after forty+ days... well... that's extreme emotion. Young children aren't often separated from their parents for that long a period.

But the earnest "We proved that kids have brains, and aren't just dumb kids" declarations were hard to watch even knowing that it was most likely prompted by the producers.

Posted by MizJazmine on 12-14-07 at 04:43 AM
Well after seeing the finale, I was like ho-hum. It was what it was. Just for the record, I didn't like the little Jared kid and did not find him amusing at all. As a matter of fact he was the one that made me question what kinda psych eval did they give these kids and if he hasn't had one yet...he's due. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if down the road he was diagnosed with a particular mental illness. I wouldn't be surprised one bit (whew...glad I got that off my chest). I don't think KN is something I'll watch again BUT I did have the thought that I think it would make a cool Saturday morning show for kids. I know I've come across some kinda "Survivor" type show or something like that for kids on Saturday mornings. I think KN would fit right in with that target population.

Posted by syren on 12-14-07 at 11:31 AM
LAST EDITED ON 12-14-07 AT 11:45 AM (EST)

Personally, I adored Jared. I thought he was an extremely intelligent, funny little boy.

As far as "particular mental illness" most of our smartest contributions have been made by people in history who have been deemed as having mental illnesses.

Posted by brvnkrz on 12-14-07 at 12:28 PM
*sits with Syren* I'm sure Geg will be along at some point to sit with us, too.
Jared was an absolute hoot. mental illness or not.

Nothing says Holiday Joy like a Brestee sigpic

Posted by geg6 on 12-14-07 at 01:37 PM
*plops down next to Syren and Bravie*

If Jared is an example of a kid with mental illness, then I say that it would be a good thing to figure out how to give a lot more kids that particular mental illness.

Personally, I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would say such a thing. He seemed pretty damn well adjusted to me, especially considering the fact that he is probably in the top tier of IQ scores. Despite his obvious intelligence, he seemed to make friends easily, had a terrific sense of humor, a slightly devilish sense of adventure, and a normal level of preadolescent angst and temper. If that's mental illness, well, I'm okay with that.

Loved, loved, loved Jared.

"A single zealot may commence persecutor, and better men be his victims."-- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1781-82

Posted by Snidget on 12-14-07 at 01:49 PM
Can I sit here?

Maybe it's the English in me but I simply adore quirky. I didn't see any mental instability just a very intelligent kid with a highly developed, if just a bit warped, sense of humor.

So far the system and his peers haven't been able to beat the individuality out of him, and I hope they never do.

Hall's Decked by Tribe!

Posted by byoffer on 12-14-07 at 01:53 PM
*sits on bench with Syren, Bravie, Geggy, and Snidge*

Sure, I liked Jared, but my reason for sitting is mostly the good company on this bench!

"*questions sincerity*"
Posted by foonermints on 12-16-07 at 10:26 PM
"She said don't hand me no lines and keep your hands to yourself."

Handcrafted by RollDice