URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 367
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"I love politics and so does CBC and CI"

Posted by strid333 on 09-04-03 at 00:16 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/artsCanada/stories/2CanadianIdol290803

Interesting article. I will comment in the next post.

Three is the perfect number.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: I love politics and so does CBC and CI"
Posted by strid333 on 09-04-03 at 00:37 AM
I am such a DAW that I will reply to myself lmao.

But on a more serious note, there does appear to be regional voting just as there is in federal politics. True, Ontario cannot win for Ryan alone, but it also can't in federal politics either. (I think I am wrong - if Ontario wins every seat with one party, I think they can form a minority gov't).

The whole regional parties and CI singers gets me riled. I wish people would vote with who they honestly think will do the best job - not for their hometown favorite or the candidate that they know the best. I know it shouldn't bother me when it is just a reality TV show (and in the whole scheme it doesn't bother me much) but it should bother me (and everybody else) when it is federal politics. These are the people who will be running our country. The way things are with the Liberals in central Canada, the CA in the west, and BQ in Quebec, and the other parties (NDP and PC) scattered through the rest of our country, it is not working. The different regions feel isolated from the others and it will only go worse as everyone gets more angry at the other regions. If people carefully thought about their decisions, maybe we wouldn't have the current political problems that we are experiencing.

But I'll be quiet now before I get too political. (Did I mention that I am a card carrying member of one of the above parties?) I just love the irony in having the host of CI being the son of a former PM.

Three is the perfect number.

"RE: I love politics and so does CBC and CI"
Posted by Lumster on 09-04-03 at 02:20 AM
That article made no sense at all. First off, they mention that Jenny was not able to garner enough votes because she is from the east coast. Well, so is Gary but somehow, he is still in the competition and he is not a great singer!!! They also hinted that Audrey would win simply because she had the Quebec and central Canada vote but as we saw on Tuesday, that is not to be the case. I don't think CI is like federal elections at all. I think it still comes down to the people involved. Even though Jean Chretien has proven himself to be a moron, who else posed serious competition - some rednecks from the west who were laughable at best or some extreme leftist who has no grip on reality? Of course, we settle in the middle. I don't think the contestants on CI "represent" any of these extremes based on where they're from. Sure I joke about voting for Billy because he's from my hometown, I do also think he is the best singer/performer left in the competition. My previous fave was Mikey but he's gone. I voted for him even though he was from Hogtown.

"Canadians Are An Indecisive Bunch"
Posted by Lumster on 09-04-03 at 03:20 AM
Just an afterthought on why I don't think regional voting is taking place. Naturally, you would think somneone from Ontario or Quebec would be getting the most votes. Why then, did Toya and Mikey, both from Ontario, get voted out so early? One could argue that being visible minorities, they weren't getting the votes Ryan, also from Ontario, was getting. So, if it's about race, why is it that Gary, from the east coast, garnered more votes from Jenny, also from the east coast? Then, it must be about gender, seeing as the three remaining contestants are all male. Unlike American Idol, I don't think Canadians are that predictable. We don't know what we want and we tend to follow others. Or do we? The judges criticized Gary the most so if we were just followers, he'd be long gone. Truth is, Canadian Idol is anything but predictable. Just when we think someone ought to be gone, they stay and when we think someone should stay, they're gone. I don't think people are voting for someone just because of where they're from.

"RE: Canadians Are An Indecisive Bunch"
Posted by spinningwords on 09-04-03 at 04:57 PM
I would have to agree with you Lumster. I don't think Canadians are indecisive or predictable for that matter. While some people may vote for their home town heros I don't believe that is the case for everyone AT ALL. I believe to a large degree that they listen to the judging panel although at one point I do not believe they necessarily did.

I have definately voted for people that have been eliminated and am now voting for Billy because I feel he's the best of what is left; NOT because I have lived most of my life in Alberta. In fact, I was actually born in Nova Scotia and I've NEVER voted for an easterner with the exception of Mikey. I also voted for Toya in the Wild Card race and voted for her while she was in the final 10. As you mentioned, it does not appear that anyone is being booted due to racism or else Gary would be gone by now. I still maintain that it's possible Toya may have lost out gone because she is a BBW and that is still discrimination but strangely enough, I believe that being black would actually help her as a BBW. If she would have been white, I doubt she would have ever made it as far as she did. Who has EVER heard of a fat star that is WHITE? Rita McNeil made it but let's face it..... she is NOT mainstream and she will never make it to the top 40 hit parade. Granted, Rita is not just a BBW but what is generally called supersize in the BBW industry.... I'll leave it at that.

A lot of people have voted for Gary and I'm not so sure it's just regional voters. Perhaps they see his potential. Or perhaps they don't like the other options. Its almost sad to see that someone with a lot of potential is going to lose out to someone that will probably not last long in the industry. But you never know.... stranger things have happened. I might just do something wild and crazy and throw my votes behind Gary because I do believe he can fix his voice! If 500,000 Canadians do the same he'll win. Wouldn't THAT cause an upset!

"RE: Canadians Are An Indecisive Bunch"
Posted by nanousa on 09-04-03 at 09:07 PM
Well i dont think that it has to do with political, racial or geographical matters. It has to do with many things such as the voice, the type of music the performer chooses , presence on stage, personnality, the look and potential... .

As for Toya Alexis, she had an amazing voice but her type of music is not the most popular. On other hand Mikey Boustos had a very good style in music and the look but his voice wasnt that good... (i was only impressed by his first audition... but later i figured out that he doesnt have a powerful voice). This stands for Audrey too. I m from Quebec but didnt vote for Audrey because i didnt feel that she is ready to be the top#1 in CI. I think she is good but still has to work out. As for Jenny, i personnaly didnt like her style either her personnality, althought she had a good voice.