URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID88
Thread Number: 358
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Supernova Love List: week 6"

Posted by dreamerbeliever on 08-08-06 at 11:38 PM
So what did you think of the week six performances by these ten rockers? Have new favorites emerged, did old favorites make your heart beat faster yet again, or who disappointed and had you scratching your head wondering what the *bleep* was that?

Remember that a love list is all about you and whatever you want to base it on. As long as you’re being true to your feelings, then it is correct.

1) Lukas Rossi – Radiohead “Creep” (3,2,5,5,7) Hell yeah! There’s the “oh my friggin gawd” performance I’ve been patiently but eagerly waiting for from Lucky Charm. Having listened to pretty much everything I could find online from Lukas and others, I knew there was a higher quality in his vocals. The soft clarity side, the power of a single note, the gambit of different tones his pipes could achieve, and the ability to have to audience in the palm of your hand while standing still. Bask in the glory of all things Lukas Glow, cause you/he deserves it after last weeks bashfest. I happily put him as my numero uno this week. Anchor! Anchor! Anchor!

2) Dilana – The Who “Won't Get Fooled Again” (1,1,1,1,2) My mistress of rock looked like a rock star tonight. Loved her stripped down just in your face rock out side. No tricks, no wardrobe, no flailing around the stage, just rock baby! Of all the rawkers who have now performed with a member of Supernova, Dilana is the one who I couldn’t keep my eyes off of and not the member of SN. Plus Gilby saying that he could now see a woman fronting SN puts her in the finally. Sweet!

3) Ryan Star – The Rolling Stones “Paint it Black” (6,8,7,3,1) Have a feeling some may think Ryan’s performance was a little over the top and silly but it’s what I loved about it. The Cure is one of my favorite bands, so I’m a little biased to the dark performance side. Mig painted it beige, while Ryan did indeed paint it black. Nice to see one of the guys get a little kooky with the wardrobe/performance, never would have imagined it would be Ryan! Totally dug it.

4) Magni – Live “The Dolphin's Cry” (13,4,3,4,4) This was Magni against the world, very cool performance from the Iceman. He’s a world class singer, has a beautiful family, and is killing it each and every week in front of million of people. What more could a man ask for?

5) Storm Large – Queen “We Are the Champions” (5,6,4,2,3) First JD bombed this song, then Jordis did okay with it, and now Storm does just good. Who knows, maybe in season three someone will do great? Stormy looked her usual spectacular-self but it was kind of a lifeless performance. A little crazy eyes would have been okay for this tune.

6) Toby Rand – Talking Heads “Burning Down the House” (10,3,10,7,6) Ehh. It was okay but I just didn’t feel it for some reason. The megaphone thing seemed to go on forever.

7) Josh Logan – Stone Temple Pilots “Interstate Love Song” (7,9,11,6,5) The Kermit the Frog tone was back and somehow DirtyPhils head wobble was also back. Tommy made a good point in that the guitar held him back.

8) Zayra Alvarez – David Bowie “All the Young Dudes” (2,5,2,10,9) Not as entertaining this week but the vocals weren’t all that awful either. Only a couple of cringe notes from Z is pretty good.

9) Jill Gioia – Tracy Bonham “Mother Mother” (12,14,8,11,11) Pains me some to not totally hate a Jill performance but it was okay.

10) Patrice Pike – John Lennon “Instant Karma” (8,10,9,12,10) John just rolled. It was flat, boring, and so bar room. Her “alllrrrright” accent is beginning to grate my last nerve also.

Booted: Dana Andrews (14,12,13,8,8) – Actually I’m happy for Dana that she got out when she did. If five weeks was enough time to get a tat and dirty this sweet girl up some, what would thirteen weeks have done? Got herself a little exposure and went out with rave revues for the person she is. Something tells me that we may just hear her again, on a pop radio station of course.

The order the contestants appeared ...

Dilana – The Who “Won't Get Fooled Again”
Jill Gioia – Tracy Bonham “Mother Mother”
Ryan Star – The Rolling Stones “Paint it Black”
Storm Large – Queen “We Are the Champions”
Zayra Alvarez – David Bowie “All the Young Dudes”
Josh Logan – Stone Temple Pilots “Interstate Love Song”
Magni – Live “The Dolphin's Cry”
Patrice Pike – John Lennon “Instant Karma”
Lukas Rossi – Radiohead “Creep”
Toby Rand – Talking Heads “Burning Down the House”

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Supernova Love List: week 6"
Posted by cycles2k on 08-08-06 at 11:43 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-08-06 AT 11:54 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 08-08-06 AT 11:44 PM (EST)

Looks like this has become a real competition and I can see my love list changing a lot between weeks. I am glad I listened to Dreambeliever and continued to watch. It is becoming every bit as good as last season. I still miss Jordis but you can't have everything.

Here are my love list picks.

1) Ryan (1) - Paint it Black was a great choice. I loved that performance.

2) Storm (2) - I would have preferred to see a man do "We are the champions" but Storm did a great job and I enjoyed every second of it.

3) Josh (5) - Excellent job. That guy standing in for the house band drummer was excellent too.

4) Magni (6) - Great. I wish he had held back a little on the vocals and showed us a slightly softer side to his voice.

5) Lukas (9) - I really liked his vocals until he went into the high part. His intensity was definitely there and I am starting to see this mans talent. He stuck out his tongue at the end which I really don't like so I moved him down my list a couple of spots.

6) Zayra (7) - I like Zayra. She has some great vocal moments but her voice is inconsistent. Perhaps some looser clothing would help her breathing and vocal consistency .

7) Dilana (3) - Much better than expected but it left me kinda meh. Not sure why. Maybe I just expect too much from Dilana.

8) Toby (4) - I really wanted to like this more. I like Toby but no longer see him as a real contender.

9) Patrice (11) - I enjoyed it more than I expected but I was not as excited as the band members.

10) Jill (10) - I didn't pay a lot of attention. I think it is time for Jill to go.

Dave - Fortunately I no longer expect Dave to say much of worth so I am seldom dissapointed.
Brook - I like Brooke. I was starting to get a little bored but someone pointed out in another thread that she was not trying to steal the spotlight. It made me realize she was the right person for this job.
Jason - Jason seems to be the brains in the band.
TLee - I like him more and more and when he gets behind those drums he is great.
Gilby - Gilby is better than Dave Navaro but I am still having difficulty liking him much.

Posted by Glow on 08-08-06 at 11:53 PM
He stuck out his tongue? I must have been preoccupied with the wink. *runs to go watch again*

“Music has been my best friend my whole life, because music doesn’t betray you.” - Lukas Rossi

Posted by dreamerbeliever on 08-09-06 at 00:10 AM
I am glad I listened to Dreambeliever

Come to me my children, for I shall show you the way to a place where you can become a believer in all things dreamer

Thanks for the reminder of the Lukas wink Glow. Was gonna mention but forgot. It was a very cool moment and kind of a shoutout to all his fans.

Posted by cycles2k on 08-09-06 at 00:18 AM
LOL, you two are hilarous. I missed the wink so rewatched. It was a nice touch.

Posted by Glow on 08-08-06 at 11:47 PM
wow. This was a great show. wow. And how hot are these people? wow. *fans self*
I'm going to attempt my rankings. It's going to be tough though after the first three. We're going to have to post more pictures of these people.

1. Lukas - Creep - Great song. Great voice. Great presence. Great hair. Great jacket. I almost had to leap out of my seat and lick my television (again). I somehow managed to compose myself enough to stay seated. I think I was too afraid my knees would give out. yummy. And the cute little wink at the end? *melt* *basks in Lukas Glow*
2. Ryan - Paint It Black - I don't know where to start. I'm too busy drooling to describe all the different elements of wonderful in this performance. Last week's performance combined with this week's performance and his original music give me bad girl thoughts about Mr. Star. He's so freaking hot. I almost had to leap out of my seat and lick my television. *daydreams*
3. Magni - The Dolphin's Cry - That was very impressive. Mr. Consistency stepped up quite a bit with that one. And is he getting hotter? I was watching the songwriting clinic and he had this vein popping out on his head that made me want to, umm, well I wanted to lick it.
DH had him picked for the encore until Lukas performed.
4. Toby - Burning Down The House - I was thoroughly entertained. The only way I could have liked that more is if he was wearing less clothes. LOVED Zayra bringing out the megaphone. And I love when he raises his arms up and you can see his stomach. Guess what it makes me want to do...
5. Storm - WATC - Yay. She's sooooo beautiful. I loved this performance almost as much as I loved last week's. I want to see crazy-eye Storm next week though. I want her to spank me again.

Good gravy we have a hot looking group of contestants. *dreamy sigh*

this is where it gets really tough...
6-8. interchangeable
Dilana - Won't Get Fooled Again
- I liked her performance (or lack thereof) this week. Not crazy about the "yeahs" and "uuunhs". But she looked great up there with Gilby. Hot. Don't think she needed more hair though. She was beautiful as was. Loved what she was wearing. Loved it. Want it.
Josh - Interstate Love Song - He certainly knows who he is. I like him very much. It was so cute when TLee jumped up to play with him. Total surprise (not for me - I should stop reading those spoilers. It spoils things for me). His reaction was adorable. I liked him playing guitar but I do like watching him move.
Zayra - All The Young Dudes - LOVED Magni on guitar. That was very cool. Loved her outfit. I like her more and more all the time. I would totally go see her in concert. Though, I'd rather it's not with SP.

9. Patrice - Instant Karma - hmmm. Has she decided she doesn't want this gig? Has her confidence declined? Diminished? This was okay. But just okay on the absolute best performance night thus far, isn't cutting it. If I liked Jill more, Patrice'd be #10.
10. Jill - Mother Mother - She started this out very strong. I was impressed for about 30 seconds. When she hit the notes she should have been belting out, she held back. I have to assume this was because she was told (and it's true) that she oversings. Parts of this song call for that though. Cool to see her jump off the stage and scare Dave and SP. I've actually not hated her this week. Not at all actually. I think it's possible she's getting favorable editing because it's her turn to go.

“Music has been my best friend my whole life, because music doesn’t betray you.” - Lukas Rossi

Posted by cycles2k on 08-09-06 at 01:17 AM
After watching the second time I think that Lukas will probably get the anchor with Magni as a close second. Glow will be happy.

Posted by weltek on 08-09-06 at 09:27 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-09-06 AT 09:28 AM (EST)

I agree that Lukas will likely get the anchor, only because they've shut him out this far & feel he needs some support.

Magni or Ryan could also be anchor contenders.

ETA: I though of Glow melting when he winked at the end. It was for you, Glow, I know it was!

Posted by Glow on 08-09-06 at 09:45 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-09-06 AT 09:49 AM (EST)

oh yeah, it was totally for me (and all the other members of the Rossi Posse). Been waiting to hear his Cleavage voice. I melted into a content and blissfully happy puddle.

ETA: I forgot the winky smiley and to mention that his woman was in the audience (finally). She's a lucky girl. mmmhmm. yep, she is.

Posted by Savahnna on 08-09-06 at 11:26 AM

>I agree that Lukas will likely
>get the anchor,

LOL

Just wanted to thank you for upholding my illiterate version of the word!

I think I watched a different show than everyone. I was dissapointed in most of them except Magni and Josh actually

Posted by nailbone on 08-09-06 at 02:20 PM
1. Lukas - Creep - Great song. Great voice. Great presence. Great hair. Great jacket. I almost had to leap out of my seat and lick my television (again). I somehow managed to compose myself enough to stay seated. I think I was too afraid my knees would give out. yummy. And the cute little wink at the end? *melt* *basks in Lukas Glow*

Oh ick.

Just....ick.

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster and OT Fantasy Football Champ! o-

Posted by Glow on 08-09-06 at 03:05 PM
whut?

DH doesn't like the smears I leave all over it, so I've been trying to hold back. Now I just lick my laptop.

Posted by nailbone on 08-09-06 at 03:12 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-09-06 AT 04:17 PM (EST)

Dude. I don't even lick my screen when THIS somes on....

And she's eighty-hundred times hotter than Lukas!

ET shrink pic.

Posted by Glow on 08-09-06 at 03:37 PM
whoa. Where'd you get that?
oh. whew. For a second there, I thought those were mine.

Darlin', ain't nobody hotter than Lukas. Baby melts my television. I'm going to have to buy a new one soon.

"Two other thing hotter than Lukas"
Posted by nailbone on 08-10-06 at 01:28 PM

"RE: Two other thing hotter than Lukas"
Posted by geg6 on 08-10-06 at 02:36 PM
I only see one thing there hotter than Lukas.

Sorry, she might have a good body but she makes me throw up a little in my mouth at this point.

Posted by nailbone on 08-10-06 at 05:08 PM

Yeah, but we've established that you have no taste.

Hate Skynyrd. Bah.

Posted by Glow on 08-10-06 at 02:47 PM
Toby has smokin' good looks. Yep, he sure does. He just doesn't "do it" for me like Luke does. Zayra is attractive sure but I don't find her to be hotter than Lukas. I can certainly understand why others would. Clearly, Toby thinks she's hotter than Lukas. heh.

Posted by Nonexistance on 08-09-06 at 02:23 AM
1) Magni - "The Dolphin's Cry" - In my opinion, Magni brought the perfect blend of softness and intensity to this performance. While I thought the guitar hampered his stage performance a bit, his vocals were stellar. I'm not usually a Magni fan, but I am this week!

2) Dilana - "Won't Get Fooled Again" - I agree with the above poster who said that it's the first time a Supernova member has played that I've watched the contestant more than the Supernova. Dilana absolutely killed this song, and I have a sneaking suspicion that her vocal duet with Gilby will be the first of many in the future.

3) Ryan Star - "Paint It Black" - Interesting/odd performance, but it kept my attention. His vocals weren't as good as last week, but that would be hard to beat.

4) Josh Logan - "Interstate Love Song" - I honestly loved how he did this song. It highlighted his soulful voice, but it still had the rock. I thought he did well, but not as well as he could have.

5) Toby Rand - "Burning Down the House" - There's really not much you can do with this song, but the vocal attempt that he made was at least decent.

6) Storm Large - "We Are the Champions" - Ouch. Her pitch was rather off, and the strength wasn't at the level she needed it to be at to actually pull this one off. She did better than Jordis did last year, but that's not saying much.

7) Jill Gioia - "Mother Mother" - I abhor this song, but she did what she could with it vocally. I agree with Jason that her movement did limit her vocally quite a bit.

8) Zayra Alvarez - "All the Young Dudes" - Odd man + Zayra = some sense of normalcy? Perhaps she finally found an artist that she can do decently with (or should I say a song that she can do decently with found her).

9) Lukas Rossi - "Creep" - I wanted to like this performance, I really did. I hate how he constricts his pipes, so I was glad to see on the reality video that he was doing something different this week. Unfortunately, in my mind, he only showed WHY he constricts it - his voice without that SUCKS. His pitch was horrible, and his upper register actually made me cringe more than Zayra's version of "Bring Me to Life".

10) Patrice Pike - "Instant Karma" - Ow, my ears.

Encore will go to: Lukas. I hated it, Supernova's blindness to his pitch will lead them to reward him for opening up his pipes by giving him the encore. This will lead to me fast-forwarding through it on the TiVo in order to not have to live through that again.

Bottom three SHOULD be:Zayra, Lukas, Patrice with Zayra leaving

Bottm three WILL be:Zayra, Jill, Patrice with Patrice leaving

Posted by Iconoclastic on 08-09-06 at 04:50 AM
1) Dilana "Won't Get Fooled Again" - She made it look like Gilby was playing for her. If someone else wants to win, they will have to take it from her.

2) Magni "The Dolphin's Cry" - Oh yeah, that's why I was considering him a contender a few weeks ago

3) Ryan Star "Paint it Black" - That was really good except for that wig and hood crap at the beginning

4) Toby Rand "Burning Down the House" - Have to give credit for making that song work in this style of music

5) Zayra Alvarez "All the Young Dudes" - She would be perfect for Rockstar:Cranberries

6) Lukas Rossi "Creep" - Marty did it way better last year

7) Storm Large "We Are the Champions" - Overdone cliche of a song, stop it

8) Josh Logan "Interstate Love Song" - Very forgettable

9) Patrice Pike "Instant Karma" - That performance could have turned John Lennon violent

10) Jill Gioia "Mother Mother" - She'll be playing some beer joint in West Fargo soon

Posted by cheesybread on 08-09-06 at 08:20 AM
Pretty good show this week. Overall, the performances are at a much higher level but there was no one "WOW" moment for me this week. Lots of good and very good but no great.

Also, the gimmick factor was through the roof. That is not always a bad thing, but I hope it doesn't continue and get out of control.

1. Magni – Live “The Dolphin's Cry”(5) - He did a great job with this song and showed more power and emotion then usual. I thought the Live version was meh, but this was better then that.

2. Storm Large – Queen “We Are the Champions”(1) - Storm had a rough week for me. First she was less then impressive in the song writing clinic, then she picks this song. Her rendition was the best so far on this show, but the bar was set fairly low last year. She stays near the top because I still love her. I WANT SOME CRAZY EYES!!

3. Lukas Rossi – Radiohead “Creep”(10) - I'm still not a huge fan of Lukas but I liked the way he did this. It was nice to actually hear him sing. It was the first time he ventured outside his comfort zone, and it exposed a lot of potential.

4. Toby Rand – Talking Heads “Burning Down the House”(3) - I totally agreed with Dave, great right up until the megaphone. If he had stuck to just one verse, or better, half a verse and put it away, it might not have had a negative affect. But he never put it down.

5. Ryan Star – The Rolling Stones “Paint it Black”(2) - Super disappointed in Ryan this week. The theatrics were terrible. Does he WANT to imitate Zayra? He sang well when his movements didn't suck the power from his voice.

6. Dilana – The Who “Won't Get Fooled Again”(4) - Where was the opening scream? It's the best part of this entire song? She seemed SO conservative up there with Gilby. (Don't touch him! Don't bump him! Don't get in his way!) Gilby was awesome on guitar, though.

During the "duet" there was a cut to Jason saying something to Tommy. I imagined it was something like, "Dude, we're not letting Gilby do backing vocals for Supernova, right!?"

7. Josh Logan – Stone Temple Pilots “Interstate Love Song”(7) - A serviceable rendition. Kermit appeared a few times, which I hated. Animal was great on drums, as usual.

8. Patrice Pike – John Lennon “Instant Karma”(8) - I want to like Patrice, but I just find her blah on stage.

9. Jill Gioia – Tracy Bonham “Mother Mother”(11) - I appreciated her sparing my ear drums from the anticipated screaming. The rest of the song was sang well. I can't stand her dancing and fist pumping. She just looks like a hard rock cheerleader to me.

10. Zayra Alvarez – David Bowie “All the Young Dudes”(6) - Vocals sucked. Outfit was just plain silly. She didn't even have the energy of passed performances. Maybe she couldn't move in the platforms and skin tight uni-tard.

Posted by weltek on 08-09-06 at 09:24 AM

>
>During the "duet" there was a
>cut to Jason saying something
>to Tommy. I imagined
>it was something like, "Dude,
>we're not letting Gilby do
>backing vocals for Supernova, right!?"

>

LOL! I totally agree!

Posted by Glow on 08-09-06 at 09:48 AM
Ryan immitating Zayra? ummm. No.

That wasn't a new hoody thingy.

Posted by xwraith27 on 08-09-06 at 09:58 AM
He looks as if a small mammal just died on his head.

Posted by cheesybread on 08-09-06 at 10:24 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-09-06 AT 11:29 AM (EST)

That wasn't a new hoody thingy.

Thanks for the pic and insight Glow. I'll admit to not doing much digging into the rockers pasts. However, I'm still not sure it was a good thing.

Posted by zombiebaby on 08-09-06 at 08:26 AM
I am completely suprised at how well everyone did. Also I am suprised at how topsy turvy my rankings are this week for me!

1. Lukas- Perfect. He had been slipping for me and this week he redeemed himself. He should get the encore. If it wasn't for him then this guy would have had it...

2. Magni- I loved it! Just loved it! I thought this was one of the best performances this season.

3. Patrice- Again I loved it. Maybe because I just love the song anyway but I dug her take on it. It was fresh and different and I am very suprised she is this high on my list.

4. Ryan- Loved the performance and his arrangement of "Paint it Black" however I thought his vocals were a little off. It missed being great.

5. Toby- Again I really liked this performance to. I agree completely with Dave though. The megaphone was annoying. Reminded me of JD and "Pretty Vegas". It has been done already and better.

6. Jill- Yeah I hate to put her up this high but she did suprise me. I might have even switched her with Toby if I did not hate her so much. But if I am being honest she was better than my other favorites.

7. Dilana- Ahh my favorite. Yup she is low this week. I thought it was just average and did not get the gushing from the guys. I did not think her voice went with the song. She was adequate though just not "Wow".

8. Storm- I love her. She did do great. But I still thought it was kind of bleh. I hate ranking her so low.

9. Josh- He took one of my favorite songs and made it boring. I did not like this at all.

10. Zayra- I actually am one of the few that normally like her but this week? I thought her vocals were awful. It was one of her weakest performances. This week she does deserve to be at the bottom.

However I still am hoping Jill hits the road tonight.

One more week of Zayra!

Siggy conceived by Arkie, gestating done by Zombs
IT'S A GIRL!!!!!

Posted by jeniblue on 08-09-06 at 08:30 AM
Hello all. First off I have been enjoying all the posts and opinions, just never posted before myself. But I have a question and correct me if I am wrong for posting in this thread.

Is it me or did Ryan screw up so many of the words in Paint IT Black? I listened again this morning and caught some things. I remember thinking after the first verse, (did he even read the sheet music?).

Dilana is my fav so far. That girl can sing. I think between Storm and Dilana the girls this year are stronger than the guys.

Just sayin.

Posted by weltek on 08-09-06 at 09:21 AM
Her purposely rearranged it so much, I couldn't even follow the lyrics. He ruined the original song. Good thing his stage performance rocked and he had decent vocal quality to save himself.

Posted by Glow on 08-09-06 at 09:30 AM
Welcome, jeniblue. It's not you. Ryan did change the words. He didn't "screw up" the lyrics, he screwed with them.

You should post your rankings.

Posted by cheesybread on 08-09-06 at 10:14 AM

He didn't "screw up" the lyrics, he screwed with them.

That is what I thought, but I wasn't sure because I don't really know the lyrics to begin with. Was the opening line even part of the original song, or did he just make that up?

Posted by Glow on 08-09-06 at 02:55 PM
"I want to see your face painted black" Is that what you mean? heh. Yeah, he just put that in there.

Posted by Breezy on 08-09-06 at 09:00 AM
1.Dilana "Won't Get Fooled Again" They were right, that wasn't an audition it was a rock concert. That was fantastic!

2.Magni "The Dolphin's Cry" Nice vocals, nice presentation. Loved it.

3.Ryan Star "Paint it Black" He probably has the best vocals of everyone left.

4.Toby Rand "Burning Down the House" It was ok, I flashed back to JD and his megaphone during Pretty Vegas though. JD was better.

5.Storm Large "We Are the Champions" I really wish they would take this song out of this competition. But she did ok.

6.Zayra Alvarez "All the Young Dudes" It had some good and some bad parts, I couldn't understand her through parts of the song.

7.Lukas Rossi "Creep" Marty did it way better last year

8.Josh Logan "Interstate Love Song" Boring.

9.Patrice Pike "Instant Karma" Ick.

10.Jill Gioia "Mother Mother" Gawd! Why is she still here?

Summer breeze by Tribey.

Posted by weltek on 08-09-06 at 09:20 AM
Mellow won out for me this week.

Storm Large – Queen “We Are the Champions”
Could she be any better? Me thinks not. Beautiful delivery of a super difficult song. Great stage presence again. I agreee that I'd like to see her hard rocker side come back, though, for next week.

Magni – Live “The Dolphin's Cry”
Perfect voice for Live's music. Beautiful.

Toby Rand – Talking Heads “Burning Down the House”
He would've been #1 if not for his silly megaphone bit. He took a dumb risk.

Dilana – The Who “Won't Get Fooled Again”
She did well. Placement here is more a function of me not liking the song & finding it was a lot of screaming. She looked great up there with Gilby and Gilby seemed comfortable interacting with her.

Ryan Star – The Rolling Stones “Paint it Black”
A+ for freaky cool performance. C- for arrangement of the song & vocals. It's a fantastic, edgy song you just shouldn't mess with.

Lukas Rossi – Radiohead “Creep”
I'm really, really trying to like him. Marty did a better job with the vocals last season, IMHO. Lukas absolutely has that "what's he gonna do next?" thing in his performances, though. I like that part. Just not convinced he's who I want to see fronting Supernova.

Jill Gioia – Tracy Bonham “Mother Mother”
I think this was my favorite performance of hers. She didn't sex it up, she just sang some badass lyrics.

Zayra Alvarez – David Bowie “All the Young Dudes”
I love her voice, she's just so bizzaro and so not right for this band. She didn't do anything this week to change that perception.

Josh Logan – Stone Temple Pilots “Interstate Love Song”
I so disagree with Supernova. This sucked. I hate his voice. The only time I liked it was on Santoria last week. Can he NOT open his mouth all the way? And his stage performance could've rocked, but he played his guitar & blew it. He's not even trying.

Patrice Pike – John Lennon “Instant Karma”
Her voice is starting to wear on me. I liked it the first few weeks. Now I'm finding it's pretty one dimensional. And her smiles during her songs are killing me.

Posted by architecturegirl on 08-09-06 at 09:23 AM
Wow, what a great week of performances! Almost everyone stepped up their performances this week I thought. Well, almost everyone. So here's my ranking:

Solidly top 5 - both last night and overall:

Dilana - Granted, this didn't have quite the crazy intensity of her other performances - but I actually think thats a good thing. It was a nice change. And OMG, I thought she looked flat out gorgeous! That shirt matched her eyes perfectly. Even if it wasnt her most intense performance - it did something VERY important - she looked like she belonged on stage with Gilby, and not just on stage with him, but fronting him. I was a little let down by her last week - thought she was doing a lot of the same. Not this week - she's back up to the top of my list.

Magni - That was just beautiful. Both the performance and him. Nothing else to say, I love me some Magni.

Storm - I agree she now needs to go back to the rock, but I thought she did a great job on a VERY tough song. She's consistently top notch.

Ryan - He brought it for a second week in a row, I was glad to see that. I loved that he started at a random place in the audience, but hated the wig hood thing (liked the idea of it, just not the reality of what it was). Once that came off I thought he did a good job, although I agree with whoever posted above that his movements affected the strenth of his voice at one point. I think he's securely top 5 now.

Lukas - I thought his performance started out ok (although it felt more like he was whispering loudly than singing), he lost me when he went really high and I couldnt for the life of me make out any actual lyrics, but he had me at the end when he belted it out and truly sang. And thats what they wanted to hear, so kudos to him. He'll probably get the encore because of that, and because everyone else worthy has already had one.

The rest:

Toby - I was pleasantly surprised last night. I'll admit after the last two or three weeks I wasnt expecting much, so he impressed me. I liked the megaphone a little, but I agree that he over-did it. I dont see him winning, but he'll be around for a while still I think.

Patrice - Seriously, I'm SHOCKED that I'm actually ranking her this high, but I actually somewhat enjoyed her performance this week, and thats a first. She's not on level with the others, but it was far better than other weeks for me. Even though she'll likely be there, I dont think she belongs in the bottom three this week.

Josh - I like him, but he doesnt belong in this genre - he lacked intensity for me. Just no oomph.

Jill - When I first watched it I hated it and couldnt understand why SN was complimenting her, but the second time I watched it I thought it wasnt sooo bad. I loved what cheesybread said - YES! The cheerleader analogy is right on!

Zayra - Wow, I'm shocked she's not solidly in everyone's bottom three this week. I thought that was just flat out, truly horrific and painful to watch and listen to. The only singing that was on key were her background singers - and all they did was highlight how truly awful she sounded. The only good thing about this performance was the eye candy of having Magni in the background.

Bottom three will be - Jill, Zayra, and Patrice. I dont think Patrice belongs here this week, but I dont see her having enough credit with the voters to not be. With both Zayra and Jill consistently being in the bottom three week after week warrants a double elimination week personally. I think Patrice will be spared for a week or two because SN disagrees with the voters on her. If only one goes home I think it'll be Jill, for the simple reason that I think she and Zayra are on equally low ground, but Zayra puts on more of an entertaining show. Even if it is just comical.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 08-09-06 at 10:00 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-09-06 AT 10:29 AM (EST)

1. Toby Rand – Talking Heads “Burning Down the House”. The performance I enjoyed the most this week. He not only had great stage presence but also showed creativity and making this 80's song appropriate for SuperNova.
2. Lukas Rossi – Radiohead “Creep” Kinda an odd performance. But I could not keep my eyes and ears off it. Think Marty did the song better but Lukas showed originality and the performance was captivating.
3. Magni – Live “The Dolphin's Cry” Not my type of song. Not my type of performance, but why did I rank him so high...because he did this type of song and performance as well as it can be performed.
4. Dilana – The Who “Won't Get Fooled Again” Just a straight ahead rocker. Nothing exceptional but she did not embarass herself and looked very professional.
5. Storm Large – Queen “We Are the Champions” Nice vocals. But performance could've had a little more too it. Sang the song like a ballad.
6. Josh Logan – Stone Temple Pilots “Interstate Love Song” Perfect song for him. He rocked and it was a nice performance. Did well with Tommy.
7. Jill Gioia – Tracy Bonham “Mother Mother” She gets knocked but honestly NO ONE on this show has a better voice than her. likely going home this week....not because of her vocals more because of a fit.
8. Zayra Alvarez – David Bowie “All the Young Dudes” I just love watching her perform. I want her to stay around a little longer.....because I anticapate each performance. I think others are finally coming around to her. Think her vocals were a little off this week.....her accent is just too stronge. Even the famous foreign rockers are able to hide their accents when they sing she needs to do this and she would be great. Her outfit limited her stage movement. Also, thought the music on this performance was a little too straight forward.
9. Patrice Pike – John Lennon “Instant Karma” Actually this was myh favorite performance of hers. She rocked it out nicely, but in the end it was teh same boring Patrice Pike. Bottom 3.
10. Ryan Star – The Rolling Stones “Paint it Black” Oh my god, people actually like that performance???? It was so bizarre it was funny. If he got on stage with SuperNova and tried that the reaction he would get from the audience would not of been the same. Something about this guy. When he performs I laugh. Not a good quality. Also, listen to his vocals on this performance...he had some really bad moments. How it was overlooked was beyond me. Guess, SN likes seeing this guy open up....and so do the viewers. Should be in bottom three but won't. I hated this performance.

Posted by rileybean on 08-09-06 at 02:32 PM
About Toby - by "creativity" do you mean changing the lyrics to the point that I thought he was just making them up as he went along?

Posted by xwraith27 on 08-09-06 at 09:45 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-09-06 AT 09:46 AM (EST)

1. Dilana - I love toned-down Dilana. I thought the duet with Gilby was a bit meh, but I love how the song showcased her upper register.

2. Magni - The stripped down performance definitely highlighted Magni's very powerful vocals. However, I still don't think much of him but as a low-ranking contender or a high-ranking middle-packer.

3. Storm Large - First, I have to say that while she was singing, I made a mental note to myself to get my wife sparkly, shiny, shimmery eye shadow. Vocals were generally ok, and a bit pitchy at parts. But I love Storm, hence, I will never rank her low in my list.

4. Lukas Rossi - The falsetto was a bit painful to listen to, but the song itself picked up towards the end. Jason was right though. This was the first time that I cared for Lukas' performance because this was the first time that I understood what he was singing.

5. Ryan Star - I just found the entire thing to be weird and contrived. Great energy, good vocals, but too weird for my taste.

6. Toby Rand - First, I have to ask... what is up with the Ricky Martin hip movements? I found myself head-bopping to the song until the megaphone part. It just dragged on for too long.

7. Josh Logan - Some noticeable pitch problems. Vocals were a bit inconsistent, and I found myself bored.

8. Patrice Pike - The band was definitely better than her on this one. I felt like she was reciting the song instead of actually singing it.

9. Jill Gioia - I think Jill compromised her "authenticity" for something that she thought the audience and Supernova might like. She lost all the screaming and yelling, and we were left with subpar, uninspired vocals that were drowned out by the band.

10. Zayra Alvarez - I didn't understand her mumbling, but I have to admit that her tone wasn't as bad as before. That doesn't stop me from hating every fiber of her body, though.

Posted by michel on 08-09-06 at 09:50 AM
The CONTENDERS

1- Dilana – The Who “Won't Get Fooled Again” BRAVO! This was the best performance of an evening filled with good ones. She already has done the encore so maybe not twice but she deserves it. Roger Daultry reveals “wannabees” as Dana’s exit proved. Dilana IS a star. Her voice and her presence were incredible.

2- Lukas Rossi – Radiohead “Creep” To not have him up here means that you either hate him or the song. His interpretation was wonderful. This also could be the encore. It was a great comeback.

3-Storm Large – Queen “We Are the Champions” As with Daultry, Freddy isn’t for amateurs. Storm delivered an extremely good personal interpretation of the song. She doesn’t have the high pitch but she has the power and emotions.
4- Magni – Live “The Dolphin's Cry” It was a very strong performance. His voice impressed me more than ever before.

5- Ryan Star – The Rolling Stones “Paint it Black” This isn’t a punk or a grunge song but Psychedelic rock. It had nothing of the feeling of the original. It was awkward at best. Ryan takes a step back.

The ones getting exposure
6- Josh Logan – Stone Temple Pilots “Interstate Love Song”. I didn’t think he could pull it off but it sounded great. He’s more Boys’ band material than SP.
7- Jill Gioia – Tracy Bonham “Mother, Mother” She is a rocker and this was her best performance. She can earn a living singing but not as an international star. On the local scene she’d be hot!

Fun to watch
8- Zayra Alvarez – David Bowie “All the Young Dudes” The girl is a showgirl. Glitter rock is very appropriate for her. She makes it fun but she’s not for “Rockstar”.

Close to edge

9- Patrice Pike – John Lennon “Instant Karma” I had doubts but she was OK. Despite the tattoos, she’s more suited for children’s songs.

10- Toby Rand – Talking Heads “Burning Down the House” I didn’t like the swinging of the hips, the megaphone or the voice. I mixed up Toby and Ryan in my contenders for the song selection post. Toby was never a contender.

Posted by weltek on 08-09-06 at 10:33 AM
I didn't have Lukas in my top two and I:
1) Love the song
2) Am really trying to like Lukas

IMHO, his vocals weren't as good as they needed to be on that song. Marty showed he could do this difficult song better last year. I'm impressed with his stage presence, but am starting to feel that it's all he really brings compared to the others. Give enough rocker attitude and Supernova seems to eat it up. It's not enough for me.

Posted by michel on 08-09-06 at 10:41 AM
I mainly meant as a contender, not necessarily top 2. From the start, I've only seen 5 contenders and that hasn't changed from week to week. I liked Josh interpretation of STP a lot more than Ryan's "Jumping Stones" performance but Josh isn't a contender, Ryan is.

Posted by weltek on 08-09-06 at 10:55 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-09-06 AT 10:55 AM (EST)

Ok, I agree that there are only a handful of contenders & agree with your list (but I'd put Toby on as a contender, also).

Posted by Nonexistance on 08-09-06 at 11:20 AM
I also didn't have him in my top two - in fact, I had him as ninth, just because I hated his vocals. Now, I believe that he'll be in the top five because he has die-hard fans, as can be seen on this board. Even last week, when he completely deserved to be in the bottom three, he wasn't in the danger zone. That's absolutely absurd. It's like MiG last year. Yes, I just compared Lukas to MiG. His popularity will take him a long way, but in my mind, it's undeserved because his vocals aren't near as good as some of the others.

Posted by weltek on 08-09-06 at 11:23 AM
That made me giggle just a little. Lukas and Mig just need one more to run the cookie factory.

Posted by nailbone on 08-09-06 at 02:24 PM
Lukas and Mig just need one more to run the cookie factory.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Glowie is SO gonna kick you ass for that!!

Posted by Loree on 08-09-06 at 10:28 AM
My thoughts have really changed from Week #1. People I started out loving I now don't care for at all (Dilana). And others I overlooked are moving up my list. Interesting week.

#1. Lukas!!! - now that was a performance. We have been waiting for this. Everyone was happy. (Well not Dilana, she didn't like Tommy getting goosebumps)

#2. Toby - he moved back up this week. I actually felt some emotion from him. Yes, the megaphone has been done before. But I didn't mind it.

#3. Storm - she is firmly my fave female in the competition. Althought she is a bit much in the rawker pod with all the arm waving and swaying around. I really noticed it during Zayra's performance. But on stage I liked Storm this week.

#4. Magni - this is probably the best I think he has done. Although the sugary sweet "Daddy" edit is getting a little too much.

#5. Jill - OK this shocks me too. But I actually thought she did good this week. I still don't really like her. And I think she has had so many bad performances that she will probably be in the bottom 3 again. But I liked her this week better than the performances that are listed below her.

#6. Ryan - I liked the crazy entrance. And the leap across the stage reminded me of JD and made me smile. But I thought Ryan was off key. Parts of the song just didn't sound right to me.

#7. Patrice - she can sing. But I just find her boring. I think she disappears in front of the House Band. She doesn't even need Tommy Lee on stage to detract from her. And I don't care how crazy she does her hair. She still bores me.

#8. Josh - he is another one that bores me. And he just looks so uncomfortable in this competition.

#9. Zayra - once I have seen what she is wearing that is it for me. She has my attention for those first few seconds. Then I stick my fingers in my ears.

#10. Dilana - yes putting her in last place is harsh. But I am so over her. She is the same every week. And her voice is starting to truly annoy me. I thought that was her worst performance yet. I don't understand why she never gets called on her voice like the others do. It certainly isn't perfect. But even her stage antics annoy me. I know she will be here for a long time. But I just don't care.

Posted by triednottowatch on 08-09-06 at 10:50 AM
Here goes:

1. Lukas - I thought he did a great job on the shortened version of the song they are forced to perform. I do think an important part of this song is the heavy guitar lick that comes in right before the chorus: " you're so very special, DA-DAH, DA-DAH, DAAAAAAAAAAAH" and they left that out of the arrangement.

2. Magni - He seems able to sing anything, but this song suited his voice and style perfectly. He is such a cool character, he could easily front this band.

3. Josh - He did a pretty good job on "ISL." He was a little flat in a couple spots, but he showed that he can sing rock songs.

4. Dilana - I'm a Dilana fan, but I just was not overly taken with her performance of this Who classic. I do have to say, that her voice was 500 times better than that squeak coming out of Gilby's mouth on the duet portion of the song.

5. Toby - He ended up with a song that just is not made to highlight the lead singer that much, and the theatrics were probably as much a desperate measure to stand out on this song as anything.

6th and lower kind of lump together.

6. Storm - This song is just so hard to sing, and she did a passable job, but as she started, she almost brought that "torch singer" feel back from last week. She needs to lose the mic stand next week.

7. Ryan - some songs you just don't screw around with, and this is one. DO NOT change the lyrics of a classic. The other problem I had is that this is supposed to be a morose disillusionment song and he tried to turn it into an upbeat rock-out song. The Stones managed to rock it out AND be morose. Ryan couldn't pull that off, and IMO lost the song.

8. Zayra - Great outfit. Wonder who got the job of oiling her up to get into it? I'm sure she had no problem finding a volunteer. The song? Pitchy in lots of parts. Hard to follow Bowie. One of the great voices of rock. Storm pulled it off admirably last week, Zayra doesn't have the chops.

10. (Tie) Jill and Patrice - Jill's performance wasn't bad, but that song sucked so bad. I don't know what grammy it was nominated for, because I didn't know there was a category for most MPD song of the year. It is all over the freakin place. Patrice had a great song and made it unrecognizable. I've seen enough of this smiling Sheryl Crow knock-off. I would like to see a two-fer this week.

Posted by LisaPles on 08-10-06 at 02:49 PM
>1. Lukas - I thought he
>did a great job on
>the shortened version of the
>song they are forced to
>perform. I do think
>an important part of this
>song is the heavy guitar
>lick that comes in right
>before the chorus: " you're
>so very special, DA-DAH, DA-DAH,
>DAAAAAAAAAAAH" and they left
>that out of the arrangement.

Leaving that part out and putting the emphasis on the end of the song is what I thought was great about the arrangement. I was anticipating that part and when it didn't happen it really got my attention because I was waiting to see when the band was going to kick it in.

Posted by geekboy on 08-09-06 at 11:00 AM
Immediate thoughts after watching this week's show.

first, i was pleasantly surprised this week. WHen i first read the songs, i thougth it would be a boring week. I was wrong.

(1) Dilana. My Dilana. I love her. She got this spot for two reasons. First, she sang the hell out of that song, and looked so natural up there with Gilby. Secondly, unlike the other wimps, she WANTED to be judged up there with Gilby. I can't believe nobody fought for it. Insane.
(2) Lukas. As Jason said, its about time to open up his voice. Although i wasn't totally blown away by his voice then and now, i like that he took the advice and criticism and did something different. It was a great performance.
(3) Storm. I generally dislike Queen covers. Nobody can compete with Freddie Mercury, and you are always judged against him. Storm held her own. She has a magnificent voice, as she also proved last week. She is definately a front runner w/ Lukas and Dilana. I think its a three-way race.
(4) Magni. Incredible cajones to go it alone w/ just an acoustic guitar, but if you have Magni's pipes, and a great song to sing, you can do it. Wonderful.

< somewhat large gap >

(5) Ryan. I think its gusty to take a Stone's song and switch it up. He has "brought his A-game", but this one didn't work for me like last week.
(6) Josh. I think Tommy Lee broke him down a bit. It was a perfect song choice for him, but his vocals were a bit off. Agree w/ the guitar comment by Tommy.
(7) Toby. I loved his rendition. It was a new Toby. But i don't think he can compete w/ the top 4.

< another large gap >

(8) Patrice. She's starting to bore me. Initially I liked her voice a lot, but week after week, its like every song she sings melds together and she always sounds the same. Not good for a lead singer.
(9) Jill. Again, she always oversings parts of the songs. And who did her makeup?
(10) Zayra. What the heck was that?!?! I think its time for Z to go.

geekboy

Posted by djandy on 08-09-06 at 11:01 AM
1.) Lukas Rossi – Radiohead “Creep” - Lukas finally belts out a strong song and showcases his vocals. Lukas should earn the "anchor". Not as good as Marty last year, though.
2.) Storm Large – Queen “We Are the Champions” - Storm has been growing on me every week. I've enjoyed her slower songs the past several weeks showing her voice strength. And I like her sweetness, mediation skills, and support of the other Rockers when they sing. I stand corrected: not a Jessica from Season 1.
3.) Magni – Live “The Dolphin's Cry” - Nice acoustic performance. I'm waiting for the all-acoustic show like last season.
4.) Dilana – The Who “Won't Get Fooled Again” - Changed it a bit too much, but I liked her stage presence with Gilby.
5.) Josh Logan – Stone Temple Pilots “Interstate Love Song” - He's good at what he does, but is not right for SN. Sounded Stevie Wonderish again at times.
6.) Toby Rand – Talking Heads “Burning Down the House” - Liked the 80's hit update. The megaphone was so last season, and JD did it much better.
7.) Patrice Pike – John Lennon “Instant Karma” - I liked her at first, but every performance does blend together.
8.) Ryan Star – The Rolling Stones “Paint it Black” - the roadkill on the hoodie was just too distracting -- even when it was on his back.
9.) Zayra Alvarez – David Bowie “All the Young Dudes” - It's about time to cut the girl who's only around for entertainment value.
10.) Jill Gioia – Tracy Bonham “Mother Mother” - Definitely a Jessica from Season 1 (style over substance). Just cut the girl already!

djandy
S8 ABC Red Ink Champ, S7 ABPABC Red Ink Champ, CMY FOMO Red Ink Champ

Posted by cheesybread on 08-09-06 at 11:43 AM
10.) Jill Gioia – Tracy Bonham “Mother Mother” - Definitely a Jessica from Season 1 (style over substance). Just cut the girl already!

I totally agree with the Jessica comparison, but more for the fact that she only seems to really show her talent on elimination night. Now I can't stand Jill's personality, but her elimination night performances have been her best by far, IMHO.

Posted by Hoobie on 08-09-06 at 01:22 PM
I thought that the show as a whole was excellent - probably the best of the season (as far as entertainment value goes). That being said...no one performance blew me away. Here goes:

1. Lukas - Dilana (my fave!) I believe, tried to set Lukas up for a failure. He blew it away. Great, great performance on a song that I don't really care for. His vocal range is beautiful, and I even liked the wink at the camera at the end.

2. Dilana - Excellent performance. I thought she could have done a little more interaction with Gilby (what was up with the guitar-cam angle throughout the song? That bugged me). I do not like her new hair extensions.

3. Magni - I don't know this song at all. But it was really quite good. The intensity was just right and the pitch was soothing.

4. Ryan - C-H-E-E-S-Y hair-hood, and intense Constantine-stare at the end, but the performance was interesting, and I loved his interpretation on the song.

5. Storm - Good, not great. Her vocal range was showcased well. Listening to this, makes me think that J.D.'s version (which I downloaded and listen to all the time) wasn't all that bad... Not that Storm did poorly, it just wasn't memorable to me.

6. Toby - Nice end to the show. Did he drop some lines? I'm in Dave's megaphone-camp.

7. Josh - He seemed uninterested that Tommy was joining him. It was OK. I'm not crazy about that song. I just went to a Velvet Revolver concert and they played it...Josh's version was oh-so underwhelming.

8. Jill - Not horrible, just not memorable. Man - she has the most awesome stomach!

9. Patrice - Performance was OK. She would do great at a small Portland/ Pacific Northwest type grunge coffeehouse. The hair? Awful. The eyes? I'm not getting it. Why did she have to play the guitar during this performance?

100000. Zayra - Sadly, I don't think she's going tonight. I recognized the song from the harmony about halfway through and realized that it's a song that I really like. That was SO horrible, and SuperNova did not let her know!! In fact, it seems that they're encouraging her.

Posted by CattyChat on 08-09-06 at 01:37 PM
I have to be brief & then come back & read all the above rankings/comments. I'm swamped with work. I haven't even watched the Webisode yet.

EXCELLENT!

1. Lukas (5, 3, 4, 4, 8) -- FINALLY, a performance worth the anchor from Lukas. He hit a couple bad notes, but it was beautiful.

2. Ryan (10, 12, 9, 3, 1) -- Contender is right.

3. Toby (4, 1, 7, 6, 4) -- Great energy & I loved it. Megaphone worked well and loved the Aussie flag. He actually looked hotter than usual.

4. Dilana (1, 6, 1, 1, 3) -- She's still the winner so far, IMO.

ENJOYABLE!

5. Magni (13, 7, 2, 5, 7) -- Very nice.

6. Josh (3, 4, 12, 7, 5) -- Love HIS style, not right for SN.

7. Zayra (2, 8, 3, 10, 6) -- I still like her, especially since there's at least 2 people who should go before her.

I FORGIVE YOU!

8. Storm (6, 2, 8, 2, 2) -- Sorry, but I really did not like this at all.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!

9. Patrice (7, 11, 6, 11, 9) -- Just bores me silly.
10. Jill (12, 14, 10, 12, 11)-- Go away, now!

Booted: Dana (9, 5, 11, 8, 10) -- Very talented, but wrong for this show. I wish her well.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Posted by SilverStar on 08-09-06 at 02:35 PM
I had intended on watching the performances again before ranking them because a lot of them were good, but today is busy and I don't have time. So, quickly...

1. Magni -- This was awesome. The ability to make an acoustic performance totally rock out is not easy. He pulled it off wonderfully. I would like to see this for the anchor.

2. Storm -- I love everything she does. Plus, I just think she seems like a super cool person. Love her!

3. Toby -- I thought this rocked. I didn't mind the megaphone, even though it was very Scott Weiland. Loved the harder sound to the song. Great job.

4. Lukas -- It was pretty good. I just think he's getting way too much credit for actually singing instead of growling. This is a singing competition, it should be a given that someone can sing and not a point of praise. Yes, it was nice to hear him change up his style, and I appreciated it, which is why he is this high on my list.

5. Josh -- He dropped some lyrics at the beginning of the 2nd verse, but I think it was just nerves from being up there with Tommy. I liked his voice on this song.

6. Ryan -- It was alright. I wasn't blown away.

7. Dilana -- I barely remember this performance.

8. Patrice -- Pretty good. Not as mind-numbingly boring as a lot of her performances, but still not great.

9. Jill -- I liked that she wasn't over-singing, but I think in some parts she was under-singing. Too much jumping around.

10. Zayra -- I don't even know what to say. I want her body. (instead of mine. I don't want her. LOL.)

A Tribe work of art
*List subject to change after 2nd viewing

Posted by nailbone on 08-09-06 at 04:38 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-09-06 AT 04:39 PM (EST)

10. Zayra -- I don't even know what to say. I want her body.

Me, too.

Posted by geg6 on 08-09-06 at 03:50 PM
LAST EDITED ON 08-09-06 AT 03:51 PM (EST)

Okay, gang. I've been too busy the last few days to even peek at the threads, so I had no idea what anyone was going to sing last night. I watched, unknowing , for the first time in a long, long time.

And was I blown away!!!!! That was one of the most exciting and entertaining installments of any talent reality show (hell, almost any reality show) I can remember. So many people gave me chills that it's been really, really difficult sorting them out to rank them. I've changed my mind about ten times, but here's my final list:

1. Lukas Rossi – Radiohead “Creep” - He finally did it. He finally showed me that there is more to his voice than that rasping growl. Not that I don't like the rasping growl. It's just that I didn't know he could do anything else. And, after last week, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to hear that again. But he just came on out and blew me away. I actually liked it better than Marty's version last year, mainly because IMHO it hewed much closer to the original by being more angry than depressed. And the boy can sing!

2. Magni – Live “The Dolphin's Cry” - Perhaps the family was the inspiration, but that was an inspired performance. I love that song and I loved that version. I loved that it was so powerful at the same time that it was so stark. He's growing on me, kinda like kudzu. I don't want to like him, but I can't stop it.

3. Ryan Star – The Rolling Stones “Paint it Black” - The boys blew the ladies off the stage last night. And this was the second surprise our Ryan has given me in as many weeks. Fantastic version...loved it. And for those of us who watched last year, this showed once again how vanilla Mig was when he did it. Edgy arrangement, edgy performance. I'm more and more impressed and glad he's letting it all hang out now.

4. Storm Large – Queen “We Are the Champions” - Best performance by a female last night hands down. One of the hardest songs on earth to sing, but she did it. I would liked to have seen a little of her theatrical side here since the song can support that. However, I understand that she chose not to go that route after all the criticism about theatricality and "crazy eyes." Still...beautiful. And I still think she's the only woman I've ever seen who could make me switch hit.

5. Toby Rand – Talking Heads “Burning Down the House” - I was grooving in my chair to this arrangement, saying to myself that Toby finally found that certain something he's been missing. When all of a sudden, I saw him being handed the megaphone with the Aussie flag on it. And I said to myself, please don't do that. Please. You can only be a pale imitation. And I cringed a little. If only he hadn't done that. If he hadn't, he might well have ranked 2 or 3 for me.

6. Patrice Pike – John Lennon “Instant Karma” - I have no idea what all the rest of you hated about this. I thought this was absolutely her best performance to date. Excellent song, excellent arrangement. And...she showed Josh how you can still make it a performance while playing the guitar.

7. Dilana – The Who “Won't Get Fooled Again” - Newp. Sorry, that wasn't a concert I'd want to go to. Didn't like it at all. All of her flaws showed through on that as far as I'm concerned. All she has is a lower register. She has no "rock scream" (certainly not like Daltrey's, but who does?), just a gutteral screech. She should be glad that Gilby was on screen, wailing away on the guitar, or I'd more harsh. Thankfully, I was too busy watching and listening to him and not her subpar rendition.

8. Josh Logan – Stone Temple Pilots “Interstate Love Song” - I'd have him at 7, except that he can't seem to perform well playing the guitar. He seemed like he wanted to rock out (and with TLee on drums, who wouldn't?), but was hemmed in by the axe. Good vocals, though.

9. Jill Gioia – Tracy Bonham “Mother Mother” - Man, she sucks. I really don't even know what to say about her anymore. Except she sucks.

10. Zayra Alvarez – David Bowie “All the Young Dudes” - I do have to give Jill credit, though. She doesn't suck nearly as much as Zayra. The only entertaining thing about her is betting on how utterly horrible she'll be every week. I'm taking bets on the over and under for tonight on how long it will take me to bash in my TV screen if she doesn't go. I can't stand another minute of her.

Posted by Tonya_Harding on 08-09-06 at 06:14 PM
1. Toby Rand - Great entertainment, and HOT HOT HOT.
2. Ryan Star - Great entrance and great emotion.
3. Storm Large -A little slow but ok, cant way to see the harder stuff next week.
4. Lukas Rossi - Bleh, still not using his voice.
5. Magni- Meh
6. Dilana - Its getting a little old
7. Zayra Alvarez - Hot, and great entertainment.
8. Jill Gioia - Shows improvement.
9.Patrice Pike - changed channel after she started.
10. Josh Logan - American Idol.