URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 3552
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Daniel has malaria"

Posted by LadyT on 02-19-03 at 02:26 PM
According to several sources, including TV guide online, Damiel contracted malaria while shooting Survivor. Here is the link and article.

http://www.tvguide.entertainment.aol.com/newsgossip/inthenews/030219.asp#F

There may have been a good reason why Daniel Lue kept falling off that balance beam on Thursday's Survivor: The Amazon premiere. The 27-year-old tax accountant from Houston was diagnosed last week with malaria. He apparently contracted the mosquito-borne disease while taping the show. He's currently recovering at home.

Not sure if this has any spoiler value, but I thought you spoilers might know what do make of this.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Daniel has malaria"
Posted by Tyler J on 02-19-03 at 05:11 PM
Does malaria exist in South America? I've just never heard of it affecting people there?

Posted by ejm92 on 02-19-03 at 05:20 PM
Although I really haven't heard a lot of cases of malaria in South America, usually I hear about them from Africa, I know I always remembered growing up hearing that every imaginable disease in the world lies in the Amazon rainforest, and I've also heard that a cure for all diseases is found there....not for sure if they are valid, but I'm sure there was a threat of malaria there since Daniel and the others took either pills or shots for malaria.....anyways, welcome to the boards!

Survior 5 Anti-Bootee Champion

Posted by mistofleas on 02-19-03 at 05:23 PM
Where there are mosquitos there could be malaria.

--is glad the mosquitos in Texas only carry West Nile

Posted by MellowYellow on 02-19-03 at 07:30 PM
Thanks for the link Mistofleas.

Posted by bebekid on 02-19-03 at 05:21 PM
Diagnosed just last week? They were finished shooting just before Christmas. How long is the incubation period of malaria? Could he have contracted the disease at loser lodge?

Posted by Brownroach on 02-19-03 at 05:44 PM
Bebekid, take a look at Mistofleas' link above. Apparently it goes through several phases before you experience symptoms. I'm sure it's possible he could have contracted it at any point while he was down there.

Posted by Rosewood on 02-20-03 at 09:05 AM
I find it interesting though that, according to the news source, he took anti-malarial medication before and after he was in the Amazon. It might indicate that he was in a "survival" setting longer than we thought, giving his anti-malarial drugs enough time to wear off and become ineffective.

While he might have caught malaria at loser lodge, the probability is probably decreased by the fact that they have mosquito netting and well... walls to keep the skitters at bay. Out in the jungle, they got nada.

Which also makes me wonder- why wouldn't the production team put quinine in the same kit as the woman's tampons and other "necessities"?

Posted by jump up on 02-20-03 at 09:58 AM
As long as you are in the area where the infected mosquitoes live it does not matter if you have netting around your bed, you need protection 24/7.

I contracted malaria, even after taking prescribed medication. My symptoms developed two weeks after I was bitten, which is about the average incubation period for the type of malaria that is found in South America. He has been home for two months now.

Could it be that Dan just has the flu, which is rampant here in Houston at at the monment. He is getting press time, could this indicate he goes after Janet? When I had malaria I was hospitalized for over a week, and you know how HMOs try to limit a hospital stay. The article says he is recovering at home. Was he ever hospitalized?

Posted by bebekid on 02-20-03 at 10:18 AM
>He
>is getting press time, could
>this indicate he goes after
>Janet?

According to ChillOne, Daniel is not long for the game. This article could be a pre-cursor to explain why he won't be able to do a post-boot publicity junket in the next few weeks.

Posted by Rosewood on 02-20-03 at 11:09 AM
>As long as you are in
>the area where the infected
>mosquitoes live it does not
>matter if you have netting
>around your bed, you need
>protection 24/7.

Yeah, I kind of figured that. It's like with the safe sex ads: "It only takes one time".

>I contracted malaria, even after taking
>prescribed medication. My symptoms
>developed two weeks after I
>was bitten, which is about
>the average incubation period for
>the type of malaria that
>is found in South America.

That sucks, Jumpup. Hopefully you're not having any relapses...
That sucks

> He has been home
>for two months now.
>
>Could it be that Dan just
>has the flu, which is
>rampant here in Houston at
>at the monment. He
>is getting press time, could
>this indicate he goes after
>Janet?

I think it might be over-suspicious to think that they would fabricate his diagnosis to give him the press he needs to be in the next three boots.

Or maybe I'm just naive....

Posted by desert_rhino on 02-20-03 at 01:25 PM
Bear in mind that the survivors are getting DAILY medical exams, including some blood work, and supplement shots, as well as ongoing anti-malarial treatment. (and constant sunscreen applications)

Don't forget there is a WHOLE STAFF right there behind the camera. They do a good job of editing it out, of course.

-- jv