URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID51
Thread Number: 354
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"And five to go."

Posted by newsomewayne on 07-26-07 at 07:31 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-26-07 AT 07:33 AM (EST)

Go away, that is. Our final five funniest people in the world who fit the producers' cast requirements have been selected. Of the five, I agree with two and a half of them.

Of those selected:
John Reep - You knew he was in before the show even began. I look forward to seeing what he has to offer.

Gerry Dee - Not bad. Not one of my top five, but I have no arguments about his selection.

Matt Kirshen - The 1/2 in my two and a half that I agree with the producers on. He's able to see what is funny about him and make use of it. I just hope he doesn't run out of material.

Amy Schumer - benefited from going on before Andi and taking the young, 'attractive' female spot.

Lavell Crawford - I hope the stuff they cut out was funnier than what we saw, otherwise the audience is, again, full of morons who have never seen comedy before. I think he has a chance to be funny, I just don't think he was last night. Maybe the producers are trying to say, 'see, we can have more than one black man on the show.'

Not chosen, but I thought had a chance:
Fiona O'Loughlin - She's Stella, only funny. It was her misfortune that she was on the second night, and the position of 'Foriegn Woman' was taken by Gina Yashere. Poor, poor misjudgement on the part of both these women's selection.

Andi Smith - pretty funny and attractive. I was sure she would get chosen on these two factors over Amy

Chuck Roy - loved his physical comedy bit and thought he deserved to go on.

And some others:
Jane Condon - from what we say, her set blew.

Greg Warren - And the score is 1-0. That is the world has 1, Greg has nothing. Go home Greg.

Thea Vidale - Stella, only not as funny or pregnant.

Dwayne Perkins - Nice guy, but really not in the same league as some of these others.

Mel Silverback - I would have loved to have seen the Vegas odds on this guy making the finals. Does zero in infinity sound about right to you, too?

Edit for speelin'

Tributes to Wayne by Agman, 2007.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: And five to go."
Posted by Meemo on 07-26-07 at 01:25 PM
I missed a good chunk of the show (was out playing ultimate frisbee while DW was watching SYTYCD), but I have to tell you, I completely disagree with you about Lavell Crawford.

I would have been livid if he didn't make it into the house. Admittedly last night wasn't as good as what we've seen, but with comedy being half material, half delivery, this guy has the deliver nailed down better than anyone else we've seen.

Of course, I've always been one for self-deprecating humour - but that is one funny guy.

I'm a fan of Gerry Dee too. Glad to see him get in.

Half man, half amazing, all DAW

Posted by PagongRatEater on 07-29-07 at 01:20 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-29-07 AT 01:25 PM (EST)

I'm with you on Lavell. I think he has a great chance of winning the whole thing. I love his stuff and enjoyed his set, although the commercials ruined his best joke (Why you breathin' so heavy?....To live!)

I really like Gerry, but I think that he must have gotten through on the strength of his other stuff cause his act that night was not so great.

John Reep is there because he reflect the most popular brand of humor in America today, but I didn't find him that funny. Saying Hickory and shaking your head does not an act make.

It's really interesting to read the various comments here. I think the thing I really take away from it is that there is just no accounting for taste, what one person finds hysterical another is bored by.

The one I was really disappointed with was Fiona. I thought she might have had the funniest act of the night so I was sad to see her go. I agree that Amy got through on the 'we have to have an attractive girl' rule. Still overall I think that they cast talent over TVQ for the most part. This should be a lot funnier than Season 4; I think that we have much better comics this time around. Double eliminations suck because it gives us no opportunity to get invested in the comics individually. Why can't they return to the very successful season 1 formula that let us see the comics as people? (well, except Dat but...)

Posted by Fishercat on 07-26-07 at 03:37 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-26-07 AT 03:37 PM (EST)

I was completely unimpressed by John Reep last night. He may have been the only person who didn't even get a chuckle last night from me. I've read that he is a hit-or-miss performer. When he's off, he's off badly and when he's on, he's unstoppable. All I know is that he was off for me last night. Redneck humor doesn't do it for me.

Gerry Dee is one of my personal favorites, and although he had a weak set last night, I've seen enough in the past two seasons to be absolutely fine with his selection.

Matt Kirschen was a pleasant surprise for me, but I'm not sure if he's long for the competition. I'm glad he was chosen though.

Amy Schumer was the best woman last night, and since they (thank God) got rid of the gender quota for the house, she made it on merit. I thought her routine was good and I'm looking forward to it.

Lavell Crawford was a mortal lock to me. I found him hilarious, granted, maybe it's because I am fat and I related to his jokes. But he has a great delivery and the only reason his "trying to live" joke didn't kill is because NBC played it over, and over, and over on the promos.

So I like four of the five. If I had my choice, I sub out Reep for either Fiona or Chuck Roy. But I don't have the choice.

Oh, and one of the comics either stole his routine or had his routine posted years ago directly off of bash.org, an IRC Quotes site

http://www.bash.org/?414593

Posted by Estee on 07-26-07 at 04:56 PM
What annoys me most about Mel Hackback is that he pushed out a couple of more qualified contestants at his stop. Much more qualified contestants. People who were actually funny. I was waiting for the judges' punchline: 'And inside his envelope is -- the most fatal contact poison known! Our real final selection is...' At least he didn't make the house/ship/space shuttle.

Not sure about John Reep. I think he needs longer sets to really see what he can do. That puts me in the 'wait and see' camp for him, but I'm also not sure how long I'm willing to watch.

It felt like Gerry Dee got the 'sorry about last year' selection. I agree with Fishercat: he had a really weak set last night. The storyteller got exchanged for the quicker punchlines, and it wasn't an improvement.

Hopefully Matt Kirshen comes with a second gear. A different not would be nice too.

No current problem with Amy Schumer: just hoping her comedy takes a few more walks on the dark side. (Then again, this can be dangerous: remember all the shadow walkers who didn't get in last year?)

Lavell Crawford... for some reason, I think he may be one of those people who's funniest when he's being spontaneous. Intuition is telling me his confessionals just might rock. Standard reality show instincts are telling me double-elimination after spending all those episodes on auditions is a really bad sign.

Fiona could have gotten in. After seeing the male/female breakdown on the stage, I was waiting for them to declare a LCS #4 and call her out, with Thea right behind her.

As someone who constitutionally can't manage the sixty-button combination required to make my game character turn left, Chuck Roy's routine was way too familiar. If we make a Season #6, he'll probably get a Gerry Dee callback.

Beyond that -- let the games begin. (And with double-eliminations, let the games end after three weeks. Tops.)