URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID51
Thread Number: 353
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Five down..."

Posted by Estee on 07-19-07 at 07:19 AM
Doug Benson: And there goes fifteen percent of VH1's programming schedule. However will they find enough Rock Of Love reruns to fill the void?

Dante: Choose your circle. (Continuous replays of 'We're off to see the Wizard' are generally found in the third.)

Gina Yashere: It's probably mandatory to get one finalist from each of the outlands stopped in, so she'll fill the British quota with cruel parent stories to spare. It'll be fun listening to her accent: I'm just not sure we can say the same thing about her jokes.

Debra DiGiovanni: Really not sure about this one. I think there may be a really fine line between the person and the character she plays on stage. And that's fine as in 'none'. (By the way, if we're playing country quota, her presence knocks out Gerry.)

Ralph Harris: Not bad for what I've seen so far, but we haven't seen all that much. He'll need a wider range to get through this competition -- that, or he'll really have to work on his sob story.

And now, the arguments on who should have made it instead begin...

Of course, given the current level of interest in the series, that's about three posts.

'Guest scout Tom Arnold.' Now there's a casting choice that screams quality.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Five down..."
Posted by PagongRatEater on 07-19-07 at 11:42 AM
Gina was my favorite comic last night and one of the few that made me laugh out loud. The problem is with 1-minute sets it is really hard to establish any comedic rhythm - especially for comics like the British guy who said his country loves losers. That kind of comedy takes time to pay off and he never got it. I really thought that one of the Brit/Australian men should have gotten through.

Can't really argue with any of the picks. They were all pretty good. I was really surprised that an impression of Bill Cosby doing an impression of your 100 year old grandfather was enough to move someone to the next round, but there's no accounting for taste.

Most enjoyably, it seems that they were genuinely looking for the funniest people rather than the best cast for a house or boat or double-wide.

Posted by Fishercat on 07-19-07 at 09:55 PM
To me, Doug Benson was the only mortal lock to me. I was in hysterics over his act and no one else's.

I am glad Debra DiGiovanni made it through and I would have chosen her as well. She is her character no doubt, but I find her to be better than any of the women last year.

The other three I have issues with.

Gina's act was weak on Wednesday night and it seems they put her through on her England performance. She was funny then. If they needed another female, I would have chosen Sabrina Matthews.

I agree fully with PRE on Ralph Harris. That simply wasn't that funny. Hell, I could have done the standard old person act. And props? Is Carrot Top coming? Some props are funny, her wasn't funny.

Dante was the crowd favorite so there was no "choice" on him. But he basically did four celebrity impressions. How is that enough? Seriously.

I agree with two of the four judges' choices. I think Gina is more justifiable than Ralph out of the two I didn't like.

Posted by newsomewayne on 07-24-07 at 04:41 PM
Dante's selection almost made me throw up. It just goes to show that 'people' are stupid. Are impressions funny? Kind-of. Sometimes. But original? not for 70 years have impressions been original. That crap got Audience Favorite? Have these people ever seen a comedy act before? They must be the same people who after a couple beers know that they, too, can do a dead-to-rights Bill Cosby pitching pudding pops impression and bring the house down. Fvcking morons taking a space away from someone who can actually write an act without stealing personas and apeing them out.

Man, do I have little hope for the next semi-finals.

Courtesy of Agman's Beachhouse and Sigshop, 2007