URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 34791
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"OTCC 3 - Chicken in 3 spices (with more cream)"

Posted by Starshine on 10-30-09 at 01:08 PM
More unhealthy food! It is very scented and luxurious though. In fact this is my Dinner Party dish.

Chicken with three spices

4 boneless Chicken breasts (or 1 4lb Chicken cut in quarters although I have found this makes the dish a little fatty)
1oz (25g) Butter
4oz (100g) Onion
1 1/2 Teaspoon Cardamom pods
1 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander seeds
1 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin seeds
Salt & Pepper
1/3 pint Chicken stock
1/3 pint Double cream

Fresh Mango or Bananas egg breadcrumbed and fried (optional)

Remove the seeds from the Cardamom pods and then crush them with the Cumin and Coriander seeds (Use an electric spicemill if you have one). Rub this and some salt and pepper into the Chicken breasts and set them aside.

Preheat oven to 300F 150C.

Chop the onion whilst melting the butter in a stovetop/ovenproof casserole dish, then gently soften the onion. When the onion is soft add the Chicken breasts and seal them, they should not be browned, just sealed on all sides. Throw in any remaining spices, put lid on dish and put in oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

When the juices of the Chicken run clear remove them from the dish, cover and keep warm.

Put the dish on a high heat and add the Chicken stock, reduce the sauce by half. Add the cream and reduce the sauce by half again. Remove dish from heat, taste and adjust seasoning if you need to.

Put Chicken on plate and pour sauce over, if you are using the mango or banana put that on the side, I normally serve this over rice.

I was once told that the only parts of a chicken that the Chinese throw away are the breasts, and generally I would agree, I nearly always use filletted thighs, so much more flavour, and they react to overcooking so much better. However in this recipe the breasts work very well, yes that cooking time is accurate, I used quite large breasts last time and they were a little overcooked at 20 minutes

Enjoy and Bon Appetit!

Arrrr Cap'n!

Just another Sleeperbloke

Something or Other

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: OTCC 3 - Chicken in 3 spices (with more cream)"
Posted by frodis on 10-30-09 at 01:38 PM
YAY! A boneless chicken breast recipe! I am always, always looking for new ways to make boneless chicken breasts. They are often on sale or buy-one-get-one-free so there seems to always be a package of them in my freezer.

Additionally, Mr. Fro decided that he wants to eat less red meat, and I jumped at the opportunity to support a healthy eating decision that HE initiated. So he suggested I buy more chicken (which I did.) Then every time I make chicken for dinner (which is often) he sighs heavily and laments that he's tired of chicken.

This sounds tasty. And simple. A perfect match.

ScaryVillainBobbled by Tribe!

Posted by thndrkttn on 10-30-09 at 03:45 PM
Looks good and we will be making this on Sunday. Lots of pics to follow!

Sorry for pestering you this morning. I'm a tad overzealous when it comes to this.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 10-30-09 at 04:02 PM
This is definitely one that we can make and try around here, I look forward to trying it!

It's hard for us to find a decent chicken recipe because we're always on short time to make dinner and invariably, we end up making boring dinners that the kids will eat and there's little imagination or experimenting going on.

Posted by qwertypie on 10-30-09 at 04:23 PM
So would the double cream be the same as our heavy cream? Do you know any milk fat percentages?

The recipe sounds YUMMY!

Posted by Starshine on 10-30-09 at 04:30 PM
Whistles innocently

If your cream is the same as in the States then I guess heavy cream is the closest you will find

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream

48%+ I knew it was high fat, just not that high!

Posted by Karchita on 10-30-09 at 04:34 PM
This looks wonderful. I have been on the look out for ways to use cardomom since I came back from Honduras with a huge supply.

As I read this, I was thinking that the fat content isn't that bad unitl I got to the cream and fried fruit. The fruit I will skip, and I may give it a try with either non-fat yogurt or low fat milk and corn starch. Yes, I know some of you just gagged, but double cream and losing weight do not work together.

*points and laughts* Starshine just said, "quite large breasts."

Posted by Starshine on 10-30-09 at 04:54 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-30-09 AT 05:08 PM (EST)

It's only the bananana that is fried the mango can be served fresh.

You should be OK with the substitutions (although the sauce will be less creamy ), however you will need to watch out more for the sauce splitting.

If you bake rice then Cardamom (and cloves) is a lovely addition, it goes very well with oranges as well, but that is normally as a syrup, which doesn't really work with dieting either.

J Slice what a cool lady
And I was trying to avoid the double entendres as well!

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 10-30-09 at 05:38 PM
This sounds great Starshine! OTCC Fridays are rapidly becoming my favorite days of the month!

I'm doubling and taking out the double for my mom, dad and the SIL that's staying with my mom through out the week. They should be happy.

Posted by thndrkttn on 10-31-09 at 08:44 AM
"OTCC Fridays are rapidly becoming my favorite days of the month!"

Me too!

I've been Glow-ed!!!

Posted by weltek on 11-02-09 at 02:39 PM
Me, too! Thanks, Tummy, for your idea!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-02-09 at 07:34 PM
Really, I'm surprised we haven't done this way before now. Especially the way we all like to eat.

And I'm loving the pics!

Posted by Seana on 10-31-09 at 01:01 AM
This sounds wonderful. And since I don't have the spices, this warrants a trip to the Bulk Barn, yay!

Sig by agman, bouncy by IceCat

Posted by cahaya on 10-31-09 at 02:08 AM

"I'm making this!"
Posted by IceCat on 10-31-09 at 08:20 AM
I'm going to throw in some big juicy golden raisins and a couple of cloves as well.

Posted by weltek on 11-02-09 at 12:25 PM
Mmmm, I have everything but the cream, so this is an easy one for me to whip up this week. Thanks, Starshine!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by kingfish on 11-02-09 at 12:42 PM
That sounds really good.

Posted by J Slice on 11-02-09 at 01:21 PM
This sounds a lot like butter chicken, which is awesome.

...but.

It leaves me with severe stomach issues, no matter how many Lactaids I take.

Could anyone suggest a way I could make this without cream? I've had decent luck with ghee (clarified butter), but "cream" anything is a recipe for disaster in the Slice household.

Because this is closer to how I look...

Posted by frodis on 11-02-09 at 01:40 PM
Mr. Fro used to have bad stomach issues with lactose, so I did a lot of things by substituting non-dairy creamer for milk/cream in recipes.

However, I really only did it where the milk or cream weren't a major ingredient, like mashed potatoes or french toast or those Noodle-Roni side dishes. I'm not entirely sure how non-dairy creamer would work by the cupful in a cream sauce, but you could try it! It gives the flavor and texture without the lactose.

Of course, I also don't know what non-dairy creamer is made of. I used to joke with Mr. Fro that it was just paint.

Posted by Breezy on 11-02-09 at 01:46 PM
Don't make the cream sauce. I'm not one for cream sauces or gravy normally, so I would just cook the chicken with the spices and serve over bulgur.

Have I mentioned my obsession with bulgur?

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-02-09 at 04:05 PM
Because of you I'm going to have to try bulgar.

Posted by Karchita on 11-02-09 at 04:07 PM
Mmmm. I lvoe bulgar.

Posted by Snidget on 11-02-09 at 01:49 PM
In this case with the spices I'd think a coconut milk might be good if you want that creaminess.

You could also just do the chicken broth with whatever your favorite thickener is so it has a bit more body.

And I think just some butter (ghee) and a bit of chicken broth would be good, too.

Posted by kingfish on 11-02-09 at 02:06 PM
Someone mentioned camels milk?

Posted by weltek on 11-02-09 at 02:42 PM
I wonder how this product is:
http://www.mimiccreme.com/

On an easier level, I'd just thicken the stock with the powder of your choice, add a little ghee if you have it, and make it into a gravy.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Silvergirl1 on 11-03-09 at 00:24 AM

Slice, have you ever tried goat's milk as an alternative to cow's milk?

Styled by Agman, 2009

Posted by Snidget on 11-02-09 at 06:57 PM
Very nice.

I used 1/2 and 1/2 instead of heavy cream and that worked just fine. I already had ground cumin and coriander so I picked up some ground cardamon. Might be nicer with fresh ground, but I wasn't going to go to the fancy store by work with more spices when I could get the ground during my weekly shopping trip and I already had the other ground up.

Chicken turned out nice and juicy. Served it over Israeli Couscous with steamed carrots and steamed green beans.

Posted by J Slice on 11-02-09 at 07:13 PM
Israeli couscous is awesome. I've got a box of it lying around somewhere...

excellent if sauteed onions and zucchini are mixed in.

Because this is closer to how I look...

"Wonderful!"
Posted by thndrkttn on 11-03-09 at 09:21 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-03-09 AT 09:40 AM (EST)

I had no idea what to expect when it came to flavor and boy, this did not disappoint. The flavor was more subtle than I expected but really delicious. I would have jumped in and swam around in the sauce if I were able to. Mmmmmm! DH's comment was "Chef Ramsey certainly wouldn't kick him{Starshine} out of the kitchen for making this!" He LOVED it.

Changes: I had to look up the conversions and then just went with 1 tsp ground of the three major spices, 1 1/4 cup stock, 1 1/4 Light cream. I don't feel like we sacrificed any creaminess by going with the light cream instead of the heavy.

DH's suggestions:
1. Add mushrooms to the sauce; or
2. 3/4 cup stock and 3/4 white whine with 2 tablespoons of capers.

We served it over Trader Joe's Brown Rice medley and steamed brussel sprouts.

Onto the pics!

Ingredients:

Chicken just before it goes into the oven:

Sauce: (MMMMMMMMMMMM!!! I should have been stirring but wanted to get a photo.)

Finished!!!

Thank you Starshine! That was really good and again, something we never would have made on our own. We liked it so much we're thinking about making this again this week!

"RE: Wonderful!"
Posted by weltek on 11-03-09 at 03:01 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-03-09 AT 03:03 PM (EST)

Mmm, I was thinking of adding wine (and how that would've been a good suggestion for Slice above) last night! I think I might do that.

Edited to Ask: Were the spices sufficient in amount? I think you and I share about the same flavor palette, so I'm wondering if it was too mild or just right?

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by thndrkttn on 11-03-09 at 03:14 PM
I used a teaspoon of each. It was mild. I would say you could go 1 1/4 for each spice. I just had no idea what to expect and went on the cautious side.

OR, you could reserve some of the spices from the rub and add them directly to the sauce. Yes, this is what I would do next time.

Posted by Starshine on 11-03-09 at 05:00 PM
I threw the extra spices in with the onions before cooking the chicken. Hmmm wine, sounds like a very nice idea.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-03-09 at 03:42 PM
That looks seriously good. I'm going to do roasted brussel sprouts just because your pic makes me drool.

Posted by samboohoo on 11-05-09 at 03:19 PM
I am glad I had a picture first this time.

I am making this on Sunday.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by qwertypie on 11-03-09 at 06:03 PM
I am doing this tonight since Mr. Qwerty's Tuesdays are very late and brutal. It will be a great way to cap off the day. And since the musical guest on DWTS is the vomitrocious Rod Stewart, I can focus entirely on the dinner.

Posted by qwertypie on 11-04-09 at 01:14 AM
OK forgot SYTYCD is on, so my attention was divided.

Big enthusiastic thumbs up from Mr. Qwerty and me.

I served it over brown rice, steamed vegetables and made a fruit salad of pearapples, orange and pomegranite.

I subbed in whipping cream rather than 'double cream' Very luxurious.

YUMMMMMM!

The smells in the house are incredible. It got the kids out of bed and they made up promise we would leave some for them.

I did find out that the dish I thought was stove top/oven safe was only oven safe.

Will definitely make this again. I have to remember to clean out the coffee grinder.

Thanks, Starshine!

Posted by weltek on 11-04-09 at 09:59 PM
Substitutions/Changes:
-leeks instead of onions
-I used skinnless chicken thighs instead of breasts because I had a giant pack of thighs. I don't usually cook with thighs but they were practically free at the store.
-fat free half & half
-doubled the spices as I like big flavor and had lots of thighs
-added about 1/2 c. wine after taking chicken out of oven.
-Used the stock created in the bottom of the pan from cooking the bone-in thighs instead of added broth.

Issues:
The only issue was that my thighs were a little crowded in the pan and took a long time to cook. I served them and at least 3/4 of them were not quite done yet. I need more practice cooking thighs.

Everything else was PERFECT. The sauce was fabulous!
Thanks, Starshine. We'll make this again.

Bonus pic of cats:

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Puffy on 11-04-09 at 10:35 PM
Your thighs were a little crowded in the pan? Uh huh.
Did you at least let the cats lick the pan?

Surfkitten Siggie Shop

by Smokeysmom

Posted by CTgirl on 11-04-09 at 11:27 PM
Does fat free half and half work well as a substitution? I have been dragging my feet about making this because of the cream.

Posted by weltek on 11-05-09 at 11:01 AM
I think it worked great. I used a Tablespoon of flour mixed with a little wine just to thicken it a bit because I the fat free half & half doesn't thicken quite as much as heavy cream.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by CTgirl on 11-05-09 at 02:52 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-05-09 AT 02:53 PM (EST)

Thanks! I'm making this tomorrow night using your substitution.

Posted by thndrkttn on 11-05-09 at 09:06 AM
Could they look any more comfy? Damn, it is good to be a cat!

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-05-09 at 00:19 AM
Made this tonight and it was a hit. No pics as I boxed everything up and took it out to my Mom's house. I doubled everything and shared with her neighbor that just had knee replacement surgery. Between her knee and mom's hip there's a lot of new parts on that street.

So...it was a hit with 3 households. I didn't change anything. I did figure out that cardamom is not my favorite of spices to cook with. It's very perfumy smelling and made my nose itch. But the results were fantastic.

Rob said he would add mushrooms and wine and nutmeg. I told him that would be the jagerschnitzle sauce. He said "yeah, I know". And then smiled.

I liked this as it got me out of my comfort zone with spices.

Thanks Starshine!

Posted by Maroonclown on 11-05-09 at 11:09 AM
I'm falling behind but will defintely make this on Saturday.

It looks yummy.

I've only used cardomom pods in my mulled wine spice bouquet at Christmas.

"YUM!"
Posted by frodis on 11-05-09 at 03:42 PM
This dish is a winner. The sauce is delicious. I'm with tkit - I'd jump in and swim around in it if I could.

I didn't make any changes, really. I did use whipping cream because I had some on hand for another purpose - I would also do half-n-half if I had some of that around.

Despite Starshine's warning about overcooking I *still* thought that the cooking time seemed short so I let it go for an extra 5 minutes or so in the oven and. . . my chicken was slightly overcooked. Ack! And I was warned! Next time I'll follow directions.

I served it with steamed broccoli and jasmine rice. The combination of the rice and sauce was heavenly, and after I took the photo I poured the sauce over the broccoli, too. Mr. Fro went back for seconds of the rice and sauce and scraped the pan to get the very last bits of sauce.

Mr. Fro's suggestion was that I butterfly or use thinner chicken breasts, because they were too "chickeney" and took away from the flavor of the sauce.

Have I mentioned that the sauce was amazing?

I thought about putting some sliced red bell peppers into the sauce - maybe next time. They'd add some color and I think they'd go perfectly flavor-wise.

Thank you, Starshine! I will definitely do this one again!

"Spice HELP"
Posted by samboohoo on 11-07-09 at 04:58 PM
One store did not have the cardamom, the other had it, but it was $11. I don't know what it is or when I would use it again. I saw on one website that I could substitute with cinnamon and nutmeg. Does anyone here have any other ideas?

"RE: Spice HELP"
Posted by Snidget on 11-07-09 at 05:26 PM
Do you have any garam marsala on hand, that usually has cumin, coriander and cardamom in it, so that could be used (it also usually has cinnamon and cloves and pepper in it).

I also think it would be OK with just the cumin and coriander.

I just took a taste of the ground cardamom I have and I think a mix of Cinnamon and nutmeg could work, more on the nutmeg side of things, with maybe a bit of clove, but it is in that sort of flavor range to me.

Posted by samboohoo on 11-07-09 at 06:20 PM
Thanks. I have cinnamon, nutmeg and clove here.

Posted by Karchita on 11-07-09 at 11:34 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-07-09 AT 11:36 PM (EST)

Sorry, but there is no substitute for cardamom. The dish might also taste delicious with other spices, but it won't be the same. Is there a grocery store or food coop near you that sells spices by the ounce that you bag up yourself? That's the cheapest way to buy spices and you only get what you are going to use. You would need about 12 pods for this recipe.

Good luck. I think it would be well worth it to track some down.

"Pickie!"
Posted by qwertypie on 11-07-09 at 05:58 PM

THe pomegranite really complemented the chicken. Mr. Qwerty wants to know when we are going to have it again.

Posted by Maroonclown on 11-07-09 at 06:55 PM
Am just starting to saute onions.

More later.

House smells delish

compliments of surfkitten's shop of siggies

Posted by Maroonclown on 11-07-09 at 09:19 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-07-09 AT 09:26 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 11-07-09 AT 09:21 PM (EST)

Yum Yum Yumminy.

DH thought a few strips (rashers) of bacon over top would have added to the experience, but it was faboosh all round.

I served with rosemary roasted taters and cukes and use 1/2 and 1/2 for the sauce.

We will absolutely keep this in our arsenal. The spices, although I had them on hand, were a lovely surprise ground up together. Thanks Starshine.

Edit - Tried to put the effing picture up and it's not working, says there's an error even though the stupid picture is small enough, some sort of god dang other error and I just want to have a bath because I've been nursemaid all week, and I just can't cope. I've been standing here in the kitchen for a half an hour trying to post this and I'm done.

compliments of surfkitten's shop of siggies

"Yum yum yum!"
Posted by Karchita on 11-07-09 at 11:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-07-09 AT 11:56 PM (EST)

I made this on Thursday and it was fabulous. I put a bit of garlic in with the onions and used lowfat milk and yogurt instead of the cream. I used frozen chicken breast tenderloins (strips, basically) and a cast iron skillet. They cooked so quickly, I didn’t need to put it in the oven. I just covered it and turned the flame down a bit and in 5 minutes the juices were clear.

I served it with steamed jasmine rice and green beans. I agree with whomever said it would be good with red peppers and they would look good on the plate, too.

I had old, ground coriander without much flavor to it that I threw out afterwards. I hadn’t realized how bad it was or I would have bought some new beforehand. I put in double the amount, but it was still weak. Next time I’ll use whole seeds and grind them fresh for the recipe and the spices will be more balanced.

The only trouble I had was that Mr. Karchita wasn’t home when it was ready to eat. The sauce was thick and luxuriously creamy and strangely I found myself wanting to swim in it. In the process of keeping it warm, it curdled. I just mixed it with the rice and it tasted fine, but it was dismaying to have that happen. We had the leftovers Friday and it was even better after the spices had more time to mingle.

Thank you, Starshine. This one’s a keeper. Now that you have shared your dinner party recipe with all of us, what will you feed us when we come visiting?

"RE: Yum yum yum!"
Posted by thndrkttn on 11-08-09 at 07:27 AM
LAST EDITED ON 11-08-09 AT 07:30 AM (EST)

We made it Monday and had the leftovers on Thursday and I agree, the sauce was even better the second time around!

ETA: We're making it again tonight and I imagine that we will be doubling the sauce just so we can have more to dip whatever in.

Posted by Starshine on 11-08-09 at 10:33 AM
I'm really glad everyone has enjoyed this

I think the main reason that the recipe uses double cream is because it doesn't split Although I think the idea of milk and yoghurt is a nice one, it should add a touch of sourness to the dish.

Warn me when you are popping round and I will try to do something healthy!

Posted by Karchita on 11-08-09 at 04:33 PM
Yes, you definitely called it about the risk of going too low fat. I had to guess at what you meant by 'split', but it wasn't too hard to figure out. It would have been fine if we had eaten it right away.

I thought the yogurt tang was very mild and went well with the Indian type of spice combination, but I plan to play around with this recipe and see what I like best. I think your version is brilliant in its simplicity and that may be the best way to go.

I am still workiing on a trip to England. As I have mentioned, my brother and his family live in London and I am overdue to visit them. I would like to get there sometime in the next 12 months and I'll be sure to show up hungry.

"Cardamom"
Posted by Karchita on 11-08-09 at 00:16 AM
There’s been a few peeps mentioning that they are unfamiliar with cardamom, but since it has recently become my favorite spice, I thought I’d offer a few comments.

I had never paid any attention to cardamom until last year in Honduras when we visited a coffee plantation/cattle ranch that grew it. It's in the ginger family and the plant resembles ginger but with less showy flowers. We eat the rhizomes of ginger, but the seeds of cardamom. They sold it and it was so ridiculously cheap, I bought a ridiculous amount of it, approximately a sandwich baggie full.

Since then I have given a lot of it away to foodie friends and family members, but also doing a lot of cooking with it. I love how when I grind it, the whole kitchen fills with this incredible, heavenly aroma. I have made a few missteps by adding too much and it takes on a harsh, pepper flavor. While I have looked at a lot of recipes that use it with savory flavors, most of my exploration has been with sweet or fruity flavors. Some winners have been:

I put a pinch in some peach jam and it's the best jam I think I have ever made. Peach and cardamom together are out of this world delicious.

I subbed it for cinnamon in a cinnamon-orange biscotti recipe.

I put some in an angel food cake mix and served it with vanilla ice cream and a butter rum sauce.

I subbed it for ground ginger in gingerbread.

A pinch in the coffee grounds before you brew it is quite nice.

Starzy suggested above adding it to rice and orange syrup. Anyone else have any cardamom ideas?

This message brought to you by the Crazy for Cardamom Committee of Karchitaland.

"RE: Cardamom"
Posted by samboohoo on 11-08-09 at 09:15 PM
Now that I have tried the recipe, I will try to find the cardamom next time at a place where I can buy less. I would imagine Whole Foods or Trader Joe's might have it. I'll have to explore.

Posted by samboohoo on 11-08-09 at 08:59 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-08-09 AT 09:02 PM (EST)

I was pleasantly surprised. I always worry when I use new spices because I'm such a fraidy cat.

My sauce did not thicken. Not sure what I did wrong, but it was fine nonetheless. The chicken was super duper tender. Also, I went with the cinnamon and nutmeg instead of the cardamom.

I also made two soups today. So I served mine with a bowl of soup. My soup was butternut squash.

Will edit to add pics.

Posted by CTgirl on 11-09-09 at 03:08 PM
I kind of made this twice this weekend!

Friday night, I was in a rush and was momentarily panicked because I forgot to buy an onion and then I had to figure out what to use to cook it in (I don’t have a stove top to oven casserole dish). I end up using a cast iron pan with an oven proof lid from a different frying pan. It worked fine, but I have added a Le Creuset casserole dish to my Christmas list! . So I sautéed shallots instead of onions but totally forgot to put the spice rub on the chicken before I put the chicken in the pan. I decided to abort Starshine’s recipe at this point. I put the chicken in the oven and when I took it out, I made a chicken broth, lemon juice and flour gravy to go over it. With the caramelized shallots, it was quite good. Tkit and Tummy said they were making Brussels sprouts to go with it and because I had never roasted Brussels sprouts before, I looked up a recipe online. Ina Garten’s recipe from the Food Network was fab! They came out crispy on the outside and soft on the inside with lots of kosher salt. It was a good side.

So on Sunday night, I poured myself a glass of wine and made sure I read the recipe three times before I started! I used weltek’s suggestion and used fat free half and half and then thickened the sauce with a flour and white wine paste. I added a splash of wine in the sauce at the end too. I made a mixed rice blend and steamed some broccoli and asparagus and poured the sauce over everything. OMG it was delicious!! Thank you Starshine for this recipe. I haven’t cooked much with these spices and had to buy the cardamom. I absolutely loved the smell of the ground coriander seeds (using an electric grinder works so much better than a mortar and pestle!). DH loved it too and I will keep this recipe in my permanent collection!

I'll join you all in swimming in this sauce!!

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-10-09 at 09:38 AM
It's so weird that I really did like the flavor of the cardamom but that I hated the smell before cooking. Well, hate is a bad word. It just gave me a perfumy taste in the back of my throat. Was I the only one?!

I'd cook with it again, but I'd make sure I didn't inhale any of it before cooking.

Posted by CTgirl on 11-10-09 at 09:45 AM
I have no idea where to get cardamom pods around me so I bought a bottle already ground at the grocery store. The smell was a little unusual but not too bad. The coriander was the only thing that I ground from the seeds. But now I am curious to try this recipe using freshly ground spices.

Posted by Karchita on 11-10-09 at 12:15 PM
You could have an allergy or something. Or maybe you just don't like it; scents are like that. People often have strong reactions, whether positive or negative to them.

The cardamom scent is a bit perfumey and when I grind it, it seems to form a cloud of scent the way certain flowers do, like winter daphne.

As I mentioned, I love the smell of cardamom. I just stick my nose in the jar to smell it sometimes and grinding it up to smell that aroma is a highlight of cooking with it. But having said that, I could understand completely someone not liking it.

Posted by samboohoo on 11-10-09 at 12:30 PM
I feel that way about curry. The smell makes me gag, even though I'm sure I've eaten it in something.

Posted by Karchita on 11-10-09 at 12:42 PM
I don't like the color of curry. If I don't look at it, I like it.

Posted by samboohoo on 11-10-09 at 02:02 PM
What are you doing agreeing with me?

Posted by Karchita on 11-10-09 at 05:15 PM
No, I am not agreeing with you. No, no, not, no.

Now go get yourself some cardamom, dernit, and stop your sass.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-10-09 at 01:35 PM
I'm right there with you on curry, sistafriend. Unfortunately, Rob loves it. I do like it in soups though, as long as there's honey.

Posted by Starshine on 11-10-09 at 05:26 PM
Curry? Do you mean Curry leaves or something else?

Arrrr Cap'n!

Something or Other

Posted by samboohoo on 11-10-09 at 05:30 PM
Ground curry in the spice jar. I've never been around curry leaves.

I'm not much of a fresh spice kind of gal, simply because I don't use enough to justify the cost of buying fresh.

Posted by Starshine on 11-11-09 at 08:05 AM
Thanks Boo, I wasn't sure. Have to admit that I am generally a dried herb and spice person although I always try to keep a basil plant alive over the summer.

Arrrr Cap'n!

Something or Other

Posted by samboohoo on 11-11-09 at 09:17 AM
Well I didn't know there was more than one curry. I think I can attribute some of my dislike to my pregnancy. I didn't have a bad pregnancy at all in terms of sickness, etc., but I was a little sensitive to certain things. This was one.

The smell of cheeseburgers was another, but that one made me crave them.

Fresh basil is probably the one I could do fresh on a more regular basis, especially in the summer. And when I do my ziti recipe in a few weeks, I'm going to go with fresh basil.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-11-09 at 09:52 AM
I'm making ziti and asparagus tonight. With fresh basil.

When I was gone for 2 weeks over the summer, Rob killed my basil by not watering. My parsley (which I almost never use) and my rosemary he remembered. But my basil was a victim. RIP poor Basil.

Posted by samboohoo on 11-11-09 at 10:02 AM
My ziti will have basil and cream and vodka. I hope you will like.

Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-11-09 at 10:19 AM
Salivating already! Can't wait - wishing we'd done this weekly. *grin

The theme for OTCC this year seems to be cream. Breezy was the only one to break the mold so far. Rebel!

My ziti is simply: ziti, asparagus, prosciutto, parm and basil. Oh, and garlic of course.

Posted by frodis on 11-11-09 at 10:24 AM
When I lived in the condo I had a lovely potted basil plant out on the balcony. I was very proud to have kept it alive from seed to the point where it was prolifically producing useable basil.

One day, a bird came and plucked off one basil leaf and flew away. I figured it would be okay to share that one leaf with him - seemed to be the neighborly thing to do.

When I returned home from work that evening, the plant was nothing but skinny shiverring naked basil stems. That bird had plucked ever single leaf.

I'll bet his lasagna tasted delicious.

It's an agman!

Posted by frodis on 11-10-09 at 05:31 PM
My brother says he doesn't like curry, and he means yellow curry powder when he says that. I've asked him if he likes green curry and red curry but his dislike of yellow curry powder is such that he lumps it all together as "curry" and says he doesn't care for it.

He's an otherwise adventurous eater.

(I'm sure Boo and Tummy will answer for themselves, I'm just butting in.)

It's an agman!

Posted by weltek on 11-12-09 at 12:37 PM
Good point. I think tumeric turns a lot of people off.

I prefer green and red, but won't turn down yellow.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"Made it again last night."
Posted by thndrkttn on 11-10-09 at 09:28 AM
We made it again last night with the variations we suggested above. I am here to tell you that was an error. Wine does not go and neither do capers.

Just make it as it. It is perfection and there is no need to eff with it (with the exception of trying to make it a little lighter on the cream end.) Next time we will be sticking to the original recipe.

"RE: Made it again last night."
Posted by Ahtumbreez on 11-10-09 at 09:36 AM
I like to stick with the original and then play with it. But I'd rather just read about it from you that way I don't waste MY time. *grin

Posted by weltek on 11-10-09 at 11:48 AM
I used some chardonnay and thought it was a yummy addition. Just goes to show how different our tastes can all be!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by CTgirl on 11-10-09 at 12:20 PM
I also used chardonnay and liked it.

*shares bottle with weltek*

Posted by weltek on 11-10-09 at 12:43 PM
You had some left? *blink blink*

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by CTgirl on 11-10-09 at 12:48 PM
I opened another one. A little for me, a little for the pan...

Posted by thndrkttn on 11-10-09 at 12:56 PM
How much did you use? We went half stock, half wine. The wine completely overpowered the sauce. It was too much. Maybe 1/3 wine and 2/3 stock next time.

Posted by weltek on 11-10-09 at 01:16 PM
Yeah, I only used about a 1/2 cup wine and used a little more cream and stock than the recipe, as I had more chicken than the recipe called for.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by CTgirl on 11-10-09 at 02:56 PM
I cut the recipe in half and used 2/3 cup stock, 2/3 cup cream and probably about 1/4 c. wine or less.