URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 3454
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Survivor 6 contestant - Dave Johnson"

Posted by SurvivorBlows on 01-11-03 at 00:08 AM
Please post in this thread any spoilers, speculation or information you may come up on Dave Johnson

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"Rocket Scientist"
Posted by Krautboy on 01-11-03 at 11:10 AM
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to be on survivor...be he is!

Dave Johnson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rocket Scientist
Hometown:
Pasadena, California
(Photo: CBS)

Krautboy

"RE: Rocket Scientist"
Posted by StrandedAgain on 01-12-03 at 09:27 AM
Works at JPL, Pasadena?

"RE: Rocket Scientist"
Posted by LurkerJo on 01-13-03 at 03:03 PM
Don't know if this is the same Dave Johnson, but the ages match (age 18 in 1996) If it is then he is FAST. (Dave Johnson's bio says he grew up in Ellicott City, MD ---LurkerJo

http://www.runningnetworkarchives.com/runwashington/results/55.html

Jingle Bell 8K: Men

JINGLE BELL RUN FOR ARTHRITIS
COLUMBIA, MD
NOVEMBER 16, 1996
86 Men Finishers

PLACE DIV/TOT NAME AGE HOMETOWN TIME

4 2/3 JOHNSON DAVE 18 ELLICOTT CITY MD 18:28

"RE: Survivor 6 contestant - Dave Johnson"
Posted by SurvivorBlows on 01-13-03 at 03:17 PM
As someone pointed out Ryan and Dave are both from the hometown of Ellicott City, MD.

The city has a population of 56,000. Dave is turning 24 this week (the CBS site somehow has him listed as 22,) while Ryan is turning 24 NEXT MONTH. Ryan's hobby is "eating pizza" while Dave lists "drinking beer" as a hobby.

...anyone want to guess the odds that these two know each other already?

Dave Johnson was born and raised in Ellicott City, Md. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering with a focus on aeronautics from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y. He currently works for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory as a rocket scientist. He has previously worked as a structural test engineer and a meat science research technician.

Johnson's hobbies include body womping (defined as body surfing waves in Orange County, Calif.), rock climbing and drinking beer. He describes himself as spontaneous, logical and omnipresent. If he could be any super hero, he would like to be James Bond. He is a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity and Cal Tech Athletic Facilities. His favorite sports are soccer, pole vault, and frolf (frisbee golf). Last summer, he pedaled across the United States with three friends for two months and only took three showers. He wants the $1 million and he's going to buy a new car and start his own beef jerky company when he gets it.

Johnson is currently single and resides in Pasadena, Calif. His birth date is January 16, 1979.

Posted by FesterFan1 on 01-13-03 at 03:37 PM
Webby,
Seeing as I lived in Ellicott City until a few months ago, I thought about this as well. It certainly is very strange to have 2 people who are the same age and from the same smallish, suburban town.

It doesn't say anything about Ryan growing up in EC, just that he went to Howard Community College in Columbia (about 10 min. down the road from EC). His bio indicates that he doesn't live with mom and dad. I know for a fact that it's cheaper to live in EC than Columbia (if you're renting, at least), and it's not uncommon for young adults trying to work and go to HCC to live in apartment housing in EC.

Odds are good Ryan grew up in Howard County, as most students at HCC are residents, and it's unlikely he moved into Howard County to save money (as it's more expensive than other counties in MD that have Junior Colleges -- usually it's the other way around, people trying to save money move out of Howard Co. and into Baltimore Co. to go to school there).

If Ryan did grow up in Ellicott City however, there are 2 high schools that EC primarily feeds into, so there would be close to a 50/50 chance these guys were classmates.

I'll see what I can dig up regarding where these 2 went to HS.

Fester

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 01-13-03 at 04:02 PM
Here's another guy who stands no chance. Put him with Ryan, Rob and Jenna. Too young. The fact that he calls himself a Rocket Scientist is proof alone that he is a little off the wall. He was 23 when Survivor was filmed and to be a Rock Scientist at 23 is BS. Maybe Rock Coordinator but not Rocket Scientist. Again Younger male contestants never fair too well. Females that are sweet tend to play there sweetness to help them advance but males are usually viewed and too strong and are challenge threats. Also the maturity is not there to deal with the political playing Survivor requires. Fit our early boot profile post.

Posted by jsanb on 01-13-03 at 04:18 PM
I agree. Rocket Scientist? How stupid is this guy to call himself that?

Peanut Butter Jeff
"If you thought S3 was bad just wait until S5."

Posted by AZ_Leo on 01-13-03 at 04:25 PM
>I agree. Rocket Scientist?
>How stupid is this guy
>to call himself that?
>

Does he call himself that or is CBS calling him that because they think it sounds better than his real job?

Posted by LurkerJo on 01-13-03 at 04:34 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-13-03 AT 04:36 PM (EST)

I think I've discovered that he went to Centennial High School. I'm basing this on some Pole Vault results I found from 1997 when he was still in high school.

http://www.dyestat.com/97/out/md/state/3a-day1.html

He also placed 4th in a 1996 8K

http://www.runningnetworkarchives.com/runwashington/results/55.html

Jo

Posted by FesterFan1 on 01-13-03 at 04:41 PM
I think you've got him pegged. He lists pole vault on his bio as "sports to play" and Centennial High School is in Ellicott City. Now to find out where Ryan went to HS...

Fester

Posted by ulalame on 01-13-03 at 04:28 PM
If he works at JPL (NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory) in Pasadena as speculated, it's highly likely he is, indeed, a "rocket scientist" of some kind. That's what the JPL does, kids -- designs and launches rockets and other techno-wizardly to explore space.

About JPL

Posted by SurvivorBlows on 01-13-03 at 04:56 PM
I gotta agree, the guy probably works in jet propulsion engine research or something... if you don't call him a rocket scientist what are you going to call him, a "rocket engineer?" ...a "jet systems engineer?"

Face it, he's a rocket scientist... probably an associate rocket scientist or an assistant rocket engineer, and yes, he's probably been having fun with the job title ever since he graduated, but that doesn't mean it's not true... or mostly true.

-SB

Posted by MattyMax on 01-13-03 at 04:30 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, Jacko.

This guy went to Rensselaer Polytechnic. It's a very serious engineering school, especially when it comes to Aeronautics. You are reacting to the fact that he calls himself a 'rocket scientist', but seriously, what else do you call someone who researches rocket science? He's probably more of a research technician than the head of a division, considering that he doesn't have any advanced degrees, but he is working in the development field. There is no accreditation needed to be called a 'scientist'.

and he's so cute.

MM

Posted by StrandedAgain on 01-13-03 at 08:48 PM
He's darling!

He works at Jet Propulsion in Pasadena, a division of NASA. Their current project is sending "satellites" to land on (OOPS!) one of the planets in 2004. I can check with HR there as far as job title, but most likely legit considering the brains who work there. It looks as if he is attending additional classes at Cal Poly, a top school for PHDs and post grads in Pasadena for research, science and whatever non liberal arts students torture themselves with!

Posted by chynes on 01-13-03 at 05:45 PM
So Far He fits the profile best as the mystery man in the Final 2

26ish

Big, Strong guy etc.

Posted by Loree on 01-13-03 at 06:23 PM
On Global news in Canada Dave is saying chicks dig him because he is a Rocket Scientist.

"That's my bet for quote of the season..."
Posted by IceCat on 01-13-03 at 06:27 PM

"... chicks dig me... cuz I'm a rrrrrrocket scientist..."

Posted by Brownroach on 01-13-03 at 07:10 PM
In the TV Guide article, on the subject of Strategy, they have this quote from Dave: "I won't sell out my integrity."

Guess he's gonna be like Ken.

L. O. S. E. R.

Posted by LurkerJo on 01-14-03 at 05:26 PM
>In the TV Guide article, on the subject of Strategy, they
>have this quote from Dave: "I won't sell out my integrity."

I've been in touch with an acquaintance of his that I found on the web. He tells me that Dave is an Eagle Scout.

The scout oath: On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself phycially strong, mentally awake and MORALLY STRAIGHT."

I hope he does well.

Jo

Posted by Brownroach on 01-14-03 at 05:45 PM
Not saying I don't hope he does well, Jo, I just cringe whenever one of these contestants mentions the "I" word. To me, it seems like the kiss of death.

Anyway, more to the point: what else can you find out from this "acquaintance" of Dave's?

Posted by OneWhoKnows on 01-15-03 at 00:11 AM
First, Dave IS a rocket scientist. He did graduate from Centennial (Class of '97). Ryan Aiken graduated from Mt. Hebron (Centennial's closest rival). Dave was a pole vaulter and on the cross country team. He was an excellent athlete and was indeed an eagle scout. The guy is totally legit. Dave was a great guy in high school and I'm sure he'll do well in the Amazon. I can guarantee you he won't be intimidated or overwhelmed by his surroundings.

Random fact (proof of first-hand knowledge):
He was voted Homecoming King during his senior year

Posted by jkokoj on 01-15-03 at 10:01 AM
Welcome onewhoknows! Any more little tidbits you would like to put forth?

I have a great impression from Dave just reading his background. He sounds like a few of my friends. He is an early favorite for me.

Posted by LurkerJo on 01-15-03 at 12:57 PM
>Anyway, more to the point:
>what else can you find
>out from this "acquaintance"
>of Dave's?

I don't really know the person, but in doing some "web research" about Dave Johnson, I found him. He had a pretty cool website with a web journal, so I thought he might want to know about Dave (and Ryan). He probably couldn't tell ya much currently because he doesn't live in Ellicott City anymore and of course, neither does Dave.

I'm kind of wondering if he is OneWhoKnows!

But anyway, here's his website, updated with a little Dave info.
http://daryllang.com/

Jo

Posted by Brownroach on 01-15-03 at 03:35 PM
Funny website, Jo, especially his noting Dave's and Ryan's similar taste -- one likes "apples and oranges" and the other likes "oranges and apples." He doesn't seem to think Ryan is gonna get far on the show. Dave sounds interesting and well-liked, hopefully he will last awhile.

Posted by cincin on 01-15-03 at 01:37 PM
A note about whether this guy can legitimately call himself a rocket scientist:

My definition of a scientist is someone who has a publication in a scientific journal. This means that they have discovered something that their peers think is valuable enough to be shared. Overwhelmingly, published authors have doctorates, but occasionally, undergraduate and master's students have publications. A young scientist may also have their name on a publication as part of a research team.

I'm a doctoral student and I have access to various indices of journals. I looked up "D Johnson" as an author or co-author on the main Engineering index (IEEE), which covers 120 technical journals, 875 standards and 600 conference proceedings. In total, 902,000 articles are included, dating from 1988. (There's no way a 24 year old could be published before then).

There is no D Johnson.

Let's be honest: I have a friend with a master's degree in microbiology. She works as a lab technicion, operating one specific piece of equipment as directed by the research scientists (who all have doctorates). Dave has a bachelor's degree. He is a low level research assistant.

Posted by OneWhoKnows on 01-15-03 at 03:27 PM
You see, this is the problem with doctoral students...an overinflated sense of self-worth. Having personally known Dave I can assure you that he is highly intelligent and fully capable of producing publishable material. Has it ever occured to you that perhaps publication is not tops on the list of priorities for engineers at the jet propulsion lab? Probably not, seeing as you're too busy basking in the imaginary glory of your doctoral candidacy. Don't have such a close-minded view of intelligence and raw intellectual ability. You certainly don't need a Masters, PhD, or journal article to validate that.

Posted by mistofleas on 01-15-03 at 03:52 PM
Okay, no need to fight about this kids! He's got rocket scientist as his occupation & he works at JPS so we know he does something related to rockets. Let's leave off quibbling about titles and get down to the game itself.

OneWhoKnows: I understand that you know Dave and want to defend him but please do try to remember that as the season gets started, a lot of stuff gets thrown around -- not all of it is flattering or uplifting to the contestant. (if you're not thick skinned stay away from the Basher Board for heavens sake!)

I'm just saying don't take the comments to heart, just stay, have fun and remember --if a person goes on a reality show and expects NOT to have people overturn every stone, look in all their closets, criticize & analyze...they are woefully naive.

--is just trying to smooth over is all

Posted by OneWhoKnows on 01-15-03 at 04:25 PM
No doubt. I'm not trying to get into an argument. Thick skin is the name of the game. I was just trying to discredit the idea that one needs to be published or have an advanced degree to validate his/her intelligence to the community at large. It wasn't the application of this idea to Dave as much as it was the idea itself.

Posted by mistofleas on 01-15-03 at 04:48 PM
I hear what you're saying. Very valid point.

Welcome to the fun.

--is a rocket scientist in her own little universe

Posted by SurvivorBlows on 01-15-03 at 05:09 PM
>My definition of a scientist is
>someone who has a publication
>in a scientific journal.

That's a pretty damn narrow view -- how about this one, it's a little more mainstream and conventional:

http://www.m-w.com

a person learned in science and especially natural science : a scientific investigator

No offense, but I'll take the recognized societal definition over your warped one any day.

-SB

Posted by smiley on 01-15-03 at 03:38 PM
I am a research scientist with a PhD and I can assure you that you do not have to have a PhD to publish, nor is it a big deal if you have a PhD and don't publish. There is no reason why this guy can't be who he says he is....sheesh whats the big deal anyway???

Posted by MellowYellow on 01-18-03 at 07:51 PM
My feelings exactly, what's the big deal?

This guy happens to be a rocket scientist because he works at JPL in a branch that launches rockets. He has been published if you want to get technical, as a member of a research team. And there is a Johnson who is a well acclaimed scientist at JPL, and it is not DAVE, who had his name removed from search engine finds that may interfere with the game, a stipulation by Survivor. And he still studies at Cal Tech, in Pasadena for his PHD. And he's a lot of fun after a few beers. When he says "I'm a rocket scientist", most chicks don't believe it, and he and his rocket scientist friends start acting like morons. He takes it all with a grain of salt. I'm sure MB is the one who jumped all over the title in the first place.

"Saturn DVD"
Posted by Wacko Jacko on 02-13-03 at 09:24 AM
Did anyone get the free Saturn DVD at the Saturn dealerships?

I quote this guy "Chicks dig me because I am a Rocket Scientist".

ok. Sounds like a guy who will go far. Yeah right.

"RE: rocket scientist"
Posted by LurkerJo on 02-13-03 at 10:06 AM
Yeah, they also have him saying on the MTV special:

"it can't be as hard as Rocket Science.....incidently, I am a Rocket Scientist"

I'm sure the Survivor people are scripting these things for him to say in the promos, but still it is annoying. Enough with the rocket scientist jokes.

Jo