URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID48
Thread Number: 336
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Why I love Fox"

Posted by Kikster on 09-23-03 at 06:31 PM
I haven't typed into this site before, but I loved the chats from the original Survivor boards, and this seemed as good a time as ever to check back in. I've loved most everyone's posts and have found the PH discourses incredibly entertaining!

Now, why I love Fox...

Fox does not pretend that the people that come onto their shows are anything more than unattached, mostly rudderless folks who want to be on TV, get exposure and get some sort of prize in the offshoot. Where ABC and NBC pretend that their folks have agonizing moral dilemmas about "Love or Money" and soften their contestants with posh spreads, diffused lighting and twinkily music (as if to say, the folks you're watching are MUCH more special than you folks at home in your sweatpants and take-away boxes), Fox says, Look, these people are scammers and WE ALL KNOW IT, just join us for a few moments a week to play along. Fox producers understand the unadulterated JOY we get in watching someone being shown to be the oaf or bit*h that they are! They must be giggling as much as we are behind their editing boards. While these folks are sitting in lounge chairs being waited on and thinking how special they are to have made it onto Paradise Hotel, they are quite smug that since they are so "special" clearly the producers are treating them that way on the screen. Oh, so not so.

My favorite moments have been when the beginning casters say things to each other like, "I got your back, bro" and Fox then runs a black/white video montage of said backs being stabbed repeatedly. Or, "I would never just hook up with someone" while said never-hooking-up is being played out for the world to see. It's instant gratification for us -- to see the lame exposed and the dastardly vanquished -- and the Fox producers do it to make us happy. Thankyewveddymuch.

If the show is becoming boring, they change the rules. If "America's" (Toni, are you listening?!? You seem to have some sort of magical insight into what "America" wanted) favorites are in jeopardy, they make sure they're saved. That's why even against all odds Charla, Dave, Tara and Keith are still there. I love that.

This show is for OUR entertainment, not for these casters benefit. C, D, T & K seem to understand this. When the next great show comes along, we'll move on. I for one had a great time with Paradise Hotel. It was great to have a team to root for, and I hope I'm not disappointed in the end. But never forget this casters: It was just A SHOW. Fox gets its, we get it, and the smart Paradise Hotelers got it.

Now GET OVER IT!!!!

Thanks for all the fun chats, guys.

Kikster

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Why I love Fox"
Posted by sharking49 on 09-23-03 at 06:39 PM
Excellent post Kikster!!!
I agree with you totally.

"RE: Why I love Fox"
Posted by Chrissy gal on 09-23-03 at 09:32 PM
Welcome to the P-Ho board, Kikster! Great first post!

Chrissy gal

"Never underestimate the potential psychosis of a reality show contestant." managerr