URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID88
Thread Number: 335
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Song Selections Week #5"

Posted by weltek on 07-31-06 at 12:02 PM
Patrice – Higher Ground (Stevie Wonder) – with T Lee on drums
Josh – Santeria (Sublime)
Dilana – Can’t Get Enough (Bad Company)
Toby – Pennyroyal Tea (Nirvana)
Zayra – 867-5309 (Tommy Tutone)
Magni – Clocks (Coldplay)
Jill – Don’t You (Forget About Me) (Simple Minds)
Ryan – Losing My Religion (R.E.M.) - Ryan on grand piano, with Paul on keyboards
Lukas – Celebrity Skin (Hole)
Storm – Changes (David Bowie)
Dana – Baba O’Riley (The Who)

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Song Selections Week #5"
Posted by ginger on 07-31-06 at 12:05 PM
Lukas singing Celebrity Skin should be terrific.

"feh"
Posted by Glow on 08-01-06 at 09:38 AM
Nobody loves Lukas more than me but this was a bad bad bad decision. This is a chick song. But as long as he doesn't sing about wearing the dresses, I guess it might be okay.

Oh, make me over
I'm all I wanna be
A walking study
In demonology

Hey, so glad you could make it
Yeah, now you really made it
Hey, so glad you could make it now

Oh, look at my face
My name is might have been
My name is never was
My names forgotten

Hey, theres only us left now

When I wake up in my makeup
Its too early for that dress
Wilted and faded somewhere in hollywood
Im glad I came here
With your pound of flesh
No second billing cause youre a star now
Oh, cinderella
They arent sluts like you
Beautiful garbage beautiful dresses
Can you stand up or will you just fall down

You better watch out
What you wish for
It better be worth it
So much to die for

Hey, theres only us left now

When I wake up in my makeup
Have you ever felt so used up as this?
Its all so sugarless
Hooker/waitress/model/actress
Oh, just go nameless
Honeysuckle, shes full of poison
She obliterated everything she kissed
Now shes fading
Somewhere in hollywood
Im glad I came here
With your pound of flesh

You want a part of me
Well, Im not selling cheap
No, Im not selling cheap

I personally can't wait to hear him sing a ballad with his beautiful voice.

“Music has been my best friend my whole life, because music doesn’t betray you.” - Lukas Rossi

"RE: feh"
Posted by Magnolia_Rocker on 08-01-06 at 09:40 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-01-06 AT 09:41 AM (EST)

"When I wake up in my make-up"

Well, at least that part still fits. Dood knows he loves to pile it on.

A Tribe Original!

eta: siggy

"FWIW..."
Posted by Meemo on 08-01-06 at 10:55 AM
Your impact is greater than you'll ever know....

I caught DW googling Lukas last night. *sigh*

Half man, half amazing, all DAW

"RE: FWIW..."
Posted by Glow on 08-01-06 at 11:14 AM
ha! Tell her to email me. I can give her some good links. I bet it was because of that original stuff, eh?

*smoooooooooooooch*

“Music has been my best friend my whole life, because music doesn’t betray you.” - Lukas Rossi

Posted by ginger on 08-01-06 at 01:50 PM
See, I think it's funny he chose the chick song. Besides, he probably won't get to the verse about dresses.

Posted by Loree on 08-02-06 at 12:16 PM
At the live taping Lukas mentioned to SN that nobody else wanted the song. I think that is Lukas' problem. He is just taking the song that gets left over. I wish he would fight for a song.

Posted by CattyChat on 08-02-06 at 12:29 PM
I wouldn't have known that. In the reality Webisode they made it look like Zayra took the song no one wanted. You just never know what's going on unless you hear/see first hand, unedited.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Posted by weltek on 07-31-06 at 12:12 PM
Ryan on piano, eh? I think our rockers need to lose their instruments in the coming weeks. I don't think the band is looking for someone to play an instrument...they are looking for someone who can sing and put on a stage show, regardless of the song tempo. And great if you can play, too, however, that's not (seemingly) the focus for this band.

Posted by Magnolia_Rocker on 07-31-06 at 12:16 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-31-06 AT 12:17 PM (EST)

"Zayra – 867-5309 (Tommy Tutone)"

Yay! Maybe now she'll finally get the boot cause they told her to go rockier and rock that's not. Eletric Pop again. Sheesh.

A Tribe Original!

etf: spelling

Posted by weltek on 07-31-06 at 12:33 PM
My thoughts exactly. Of course, I just read the reality recap & apparently she clashed with the house band on rearrangement of the song.

Posted by nailbone on 07-31-06 at 03:14 PM
That just has train wreck written all over it! With her accent, it's gonna be REALLY interesting. Wonder what kind of outfit she's gonna come up with this week, cuz it's gonna have to be very tight and very small to get past this one.

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster and OT Fantasy Football Champ! o-

Posted by Snidget on 08-01-06 at 10:36 AM
I feel for everyone with that phone number, I know when the song was popular a lot of people had to get their number changed. I'd worry the exposure of this on a show might increase the number of prank calls they get for awhile.

Posted by SherpaDave on 08-01-06 at 02:13 PM
I don't know about local area codes for this number, but the 800 number was snatched up by... well, I forget who... but they sing Benny, instead. It's Ben Franklin or something of the sort.

See Dave write. See Dave edit. See Dave blog.

Posted by Savahnna on 08-01-06 at 01:50 PM
Wonder
>what kind of outfit she's
>gonna come up with this
>week, cuz it's gonna have
>to be very tight and
>very small to get past
>this one.

Oohhhhh.....I thought you meant very small and very tight for the spanking Tommy Lee gives her after every show.

Posted by Glow on 07-31-06 at 03:49 PM
I am very excited to see Ryan and Storm. Can't wait. I love Lukas and I am always excited to see him.

Another Nirvana song? please.quit.with.the.Nirvana.songs.please. I can't handle it. (*kisses finger and points up to Kurt*)

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-31-06 at 04:32 PM
This one cracks me up:

And Zarya singing that song is kinda strange........Jenny don't change that number.....I want to make you mine.......egads!

Posted by byoffer on 08-01-06 at 08:24 AM

This one has me interested too. Dana sure has her work cut out for her to take on Roger Daultry. That guy was a lead singer!

IMHO, Dana will flop, but the bottom 3 will be Zayra, Jill and Patrice.

Posted by Glow on 08-01-06 at 09:44 AM
Don't you think it's a little premature to call the bottom three without even seeing it? (unless, of course, you read the spoilers - which I can only assume you did not)

Posted by rockdog on 07-31-06 at 05:46 PM
Way too much Nirvana

Posted by michel on 08-01-06 at 09:01 AM
Dilana singing an old Bad Company song should be good. Great Song. And she said she was mortified by how bad her "Time after Time" interpretation was. I can't wait until she says she nails one!

Magni seems right for Coldplay.

Storm doing a Bowie classic is a must see. She should do a lot better than the one who did Heroes.

I don't know the Hole song (or any Hole song for that matter) that Lukas chose.

Baba O'Reilly could put Dana in the "wasteland". Great songs can show the limitations of the singer.

Higher Ground is a strange song selection to put up. Patrice needs to change it.

Zayra was told by the House Band, "You're always rearranging the songs. Why don't you do it as it was intended and simply kill it." "Yes but I want the guitar to do..." she replied. GOING, GOING, GONE!

Posted by geekboy on 08-01-06 at 09:43 AM
I have one question, since i'm "new" to RockStar this season...

do they have total freedom to choose ANY song they want, or are they given a list each week with a set amount of songs on it?

in other words...did the band put up the Tommy Tutone song? Or did Zayra pick that herself? And how many choices are given each week if that is the case?

geekboy

Posted by Glow on 08-01-06 at 09:45 AM
they are given a list of as many songs as there are contestants. They are left to fight over song choice.

Posted by bullzeye on 08-01-06 at 10:01 AM
LAST EDITED ON 08-01-06 AT 10:04 AM (EST)

Which then begs the question - why does the band want to see someone singing "8675309/Jenny"?

ETF: Spelling.

Posted by weltek on 08-01-06 at 10:15 AM
I think it's a combination of "This is what Rock Star has license rights to" and the band likes to give them weird choices & challenge to rockers to make the songs rock. Such as "Baby one more time" by Britney Spears last year...the band choose it specifically for Marty last year to challenge him to make it his own, entertaining performance. And Marty didn't disappoint. Completely changed the mood of the song & made it rawk (although other posters said they've seen similar "dark" versions of that song performed by live bands in bars, etc before). So nobody says you have to leave "Jenny..." as is. There's plenty of room in that song to either darken it up or just change the beats & tempo around to make it funky.

Posted by Glow on 08-01-06 at 10:25 AM
It's a fun little game for them I think. Let's see who will fight for song choice. Let's see who gets stuck with the crappy songs/songs nobody else wanted. Let's see who takes those crappy songs/songs nobody else wanted and makes it their own.

As an aside, another such "dark" version of "Hit Me Baby" can be found here.

Posted by bullzeye on 08-01-06 at 10:26 AM
Thank you - that explanation makes perfect sense. Last night was the first night I remembered to watch them at the mansion, so I wasn't clear on how songs were selected - someonewhat surpised to find out that they are pre-selected and that the contestants have to negotiate over who sings what. That said - it certainly adds to the contestants creativity in order to "make the songs their own".

Posted by slickeronstate on 08-01-06 at 10:19 AM
My guess is Zayra will desecrate the Jenny song but that she won't be eliminated - go figure.

Dana will be going due to the song choice. Possibly Jill or Patrice...hard to say.

Posted by geg6 on 08-01-06 at 10:58 AM
I see a couple of train wrecks here. But also a couple that should kick azz.

Zayra, as seems the common reaction, will stink. Of course, I haven't seen her do anything other than that the last couple of shows.

Poor Dana. No way would I do that song if I was her. She has a lovely voice, but I can't imagine her doing the Daltrey scream. Best scream in all of rock and roll.

Patrice isn't doing anything to help herself with that song. Great song and all, but I just don't think it's "rock" enough.

I'm sure Dilana will be fine, though I can't stand Bad Company or that song. Everything about both just bore me stiff. Hope I get through it without snoring.

I think Lukas will kick it with "Celebrity Skin."

And I can't wait to see Storm doing Bowie.

And, in addition to dialing down the number of Nirvana songs on the playlist, can I just add that I never want to see another Coldplay song either? I just want it for different reasons. I say ixnay on the Nirvana because I most can't stand the travesty they make of the songs. I want Coldplay to die the miserable death they deserve and never be heard again. LOL.

Posted by nailbone on 08-01-06 at 12:18 PM
I posted above that Zayra's choice sounded like it could be a train wreck, and then you used of the same phrase. Then I read the LAXguy's spoilers on the Rockband forum. He said (not really a spoiler):

I can’t say Zayra was a trainwreck, because I’m sure they don’t use that antiquated method of transportation on her planet.

And later in the thread (pg 3), he describes her outfit this week, and it sounds to me like she's on the wrong reality show (and I don't mean AI).

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster and OT Fantasy Football Champ! o-

Posted by geg6 on 08-01-06 at 12:54 PM
Aha! Great minds and all!

I have to admire the "on her planet" remark. Wish I'd thought of it.