URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 3289
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"AI Season 13, Episode #1"

Posted by mrc on 01-16-14 at 10:05 AM
For the first time in several seasons, I liked AI. The chemistry of the judges is so much better--Harry was a home run hire for the show. I like that there aren't as many sob stories. I do miss seeing the awful auditions, but it had gotten to the point that many of them felt staged, so maybe that's for the best.

A Slice of Manga

Table of contents
  • RE: AI Season 13, Episode #1,KoalaChick, 05:27 PM, 01-16-14
  • RE: AI Season 13, Episode #1,jbug, 10:35 AM, 01-17-14
  • RE: AI Season 13, Episode #1,Belle Book, 12:41 PM, 01-17-14
  • RE: AI Season 13, Episode #1,KoalaChick, 03:30 PM, 01-17-14
    • RE: AI Season 13, Episode #1,JessicaRN, 09:27 PM, 01-17-14
      • RE: AI Season 13, Episode #1,personofinterest, 01:55 PM, 01-21-14
  • RE: AI Season 13, Episode #1,geekboy, 03:47 PM, 01-22-14
    • RE: AI Season 13, Episode #1,JessicaRN, 02:25 AM, 01-25-14

Messages in this discussion
"RE: AI Season 13, Episode #1"
Posted by KoalaChick on 01-16-14 at 05:27 PM
I agree, mrc, the chemistry among the judges was great, which makes the show much more watchable. I was just underwhelmed by some of the talent they passed through.

I'm also glad that they aren't going to make these kids suffer through dated theme weeks like Motown. The music will be a lot fresher, stuff they can relate to better.

Posted by jbug on 01-17-14 at 10:35 AM
Harry is the voice of reason; has the guts to say "no".
JLo is a softy; doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Posted by Belle Book on 01-17-14 at 12:41 PM
It's much like the chemistry between Randy, Paula and Simon. Randy was the fairly reasonable one and Keith is like him. Paula was the softy and so is Jennifer Lopez, although less loopy than Paula. And Simon was the tough one and Harry's in that role, although he's a bit nicer than Simon. I kind of liked seeing "Harsh Harry", however.

Posted by KoalaChick on 01-17-14 at 03:30 PM
I do like the judges chemistry, but I question the talent they are putting through. So many times last night their comments were like "You don't have the best voice in the world...it wasn't perfect...but you have a charisma about you, so here's a golden ticket". Way too many tickets given out to marginal talent. I'm just about to jump ship...like so many others have.

Posted by JessicaRN on 01-17-14 at 09:27 PM
I realized that the "American Idol" style of singing just feels old and dated to me. However, I am liking the judges a lot. I find myself fast forwarding through the performances to hear the judges. That has not happened for a long time.

It was hysterical, when Harry said he wasn't impressed with the vocal runs, the way the other judges were.

It was also funny, when none of the contestants knew who he was, except the guy that ended up being cradled in his arms.

Both Harry and Keith are very easy on the eyes, but Harry is a bit more natural and rugged looking. He could cradle me any day!

Posted by personofinterest on 01-21-14 at 01:55 PM
I tuned in because I adore Harry Connick Jr. I won't lie, I probably will continue to tune in (at least for awhile) to stare at him. Keith ain't bad either. Singing, what singing?

If Randy comes back as a "mentor" I may have to back out again though.

It seems to me that even in long ago seasons past, I really didn't find the talent that great until at least Hollywood when we get to hear a little more.

Posted by geekboy on 01-22-14 at 03:47 PM
Hey Guys -

I agree with mrc 100%. I think this season there is a chance to bring back the magic of Idol. Why do I say that? Well, from the little we've seen so far, there has been a lot of good things I've been wishing for for a long time.

* less joke auditions
* a 'freshness' in the judging panel
* judges actually judging talent, instead of looks/backstory

What I'm hoping for to make this a homerun

* A decent selection of music
* ditch the theme weeks
* eliminate the pimping behind the scenes
* make it about the contestants, not the judges

I think we're off to a awesome start.

geekboy

"$#it fire and save matches, &^ck a duck and see what hatches" - S. Tyler

Posted by JessicaRN on 01-25-14 at 02:25 AM
LAST EDITED ON 01-25-14 AT 02:26 AM (EST)

It might be too little, too late, but I am enjoying the judging panel, especially Harsh Harry! It makes me realize how awful and uncomfortable it all was last year, really even before the shows started airing.