URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID4
Thread Number: 3263
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Guess Katie's Weight Loss "

Posted by Flowerpower on 05-15-05 at 08:50 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-15-05 AT 08:53 AM (EST)

As you all know, I just LOVVVVVEEEEE to spoil Survivor, but alas, this year everything we didn't need to know was known way ahead of time. So, for a little fun, I'm having a contest to guess the exact amount of weight that Survivor Katie lost during the filming of Survivor Palau. If multiple peeps post the correct answer I will have to draw the winner out of the survivor cap. So, come one, come all and take a guess as to how much weight Katie lost! Winner will get a new siggie!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Guess Katie's Weight Loss "
Posted by hunniebunns on 05-15-05 at 09:01 AM
well, since there's a great prize on the line...let me be the first to guess. 11 lbs. I know she probably didn't lose that much but she probably had some water weight issues.

"28 POUNDS ..."
Posted by Scarlett O Hara on 05-15-05 at 09:03 AM
... although to the untrained eye, it looked like 5!

"about 19 lbs."
Posted by coolbluepig on 05-15-05 at 09:25 AM

i guess it 19 lbs

Th3 c0ol bLue P!g 1s 0utT@ h3Re!!!!!!!

"She gained 10 pounds"
Posted by IceCat on 05-15-05 at 09:27 AM
... minimum.

"- 5 pounds"
Posted by ohmyheck on 05-15-05 at 10:16 AM
Come on, lets get real.

"13 pounds"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-15-05 at 10:29 AM
I'm tempted to say that she 'lost' -13 pounds (as in gained that much) ... but this is Survivor, she probably lost some fat and gained a bit of muscle -- try not to laugh too hard -- so while it prolly seems like she is the same, she's simply lost less than some of the others who are making her appear more chunky as they get skinnier faster than her.

So... I'll go with a 13-pound loss.

Scratch and sniff
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

"RE: 13 pounds"
Posted by CattyChat on 05-15-05 at 10:53 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-15-05 AT 11:51 AM (EST)

I don't know where my response went when I posted this the first time, but here it is, again. (I'm new to this -- long time "lurker" though)

The muscle gain vs. fat loss only works when a person is actually doing something that exerts energy. Seems to me our Katie has done nothing but lay around the camp and exert her mouth -- i.e. eating & yapping. I wonder what the calorie/fat count in coconuts and coconut oil is? Also, usually when there is fat loss in association with muscle gain, there is a loss of inches. I would love to see a before/after pic, because she looks about the same to me, IMHO.

So, my guess is -- she will claim she lost about 25 pounds and in reality only lost maybe 7 (I'm being generous).

"RE: 13 pounds"
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 05-15-05 at 12:10 PM
Gregg did say during his media scrums after being booted that Katie did more around camp than what has been shown on TV, so again it's hard to say with what we've seen but also how she has done in comparison to others around her in camp.

Scratch and sniff
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

"15 pounds"
Posted by Andromeda on 05-15-05 at 11:39 AM
"Weight loss" is a very deceptive phrase; how much a person "weighs" is not always good indicator of their physical appearance.

I think then people are talking about someone's "weight" they are usually talking about how much body fat they have. Someone who is trying to "lose weight" is actually trying to lose body fat. However, muscle weighs more than fat so if someone who is slightly overweight is burning fat and also building muscle there may not be any net loss of weight (and often there may be a "weight gain" in the end) despite the fact that the person will appear much leaner and more in shape.

For example, two women who both weigh 140 pounds can look drastically different. If the first woman's weight is due primarily to the amount of body fat she has she will appear "fat." If the second woman's weight is due to the amount of muscle she has (and therefore very low body fat) she will appear "thin."

So I think Katie has definitely "lost weight" in that she appears thinner. This is tricky, though, because while she was losing fat she was probably building muscle as well. What is her net weight loss? I'd say that she lost 20 pounds of fat and fluids and gained 5 pounds of muscle which puts her net loss at 15 pounds.

~*~Andromeda~*~

"She'll say....."
Posted by emydi on 05-15-05 at 01:22 PM
she lost 30 lbs but she actually gained 7

"RE: She'll say....."
Posted by CattyChat on 05-15-05 at 01:35 PM
Watch, she'll win the million (please oh please NO!) AND get a job as a Jenny Craig spokesperson -- what survivor can't do, Jenny Craig can -- move over Kirstie Alley.

Posted by emydi on 05-15-05 at 01:49 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-15-05 AT 01:54 PM (EST)

welcome to the boards...WOOOHOOOO another cat!!

Keep posting!

Courtesy of the Amazing Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

Posted by CattyChat on 05-15-05 at 01:54 PM
Thanks, will do.

Looking forward to the big finale tonight. I'm sure there's going to be good threads following tonight.

PS - Cats rule!

Posted by KeithFan on 05-15-05 at 03:21 PM
She got rid of 235 lbs of ugly fat..... she broke up with her boyfriend!

I'll guess 22 pounds, an even 10kg.

Posted by taffnic on 05-15-05 at 04:13 PM
I'll guess 9 lbs.

Posted by Draco Malfoy on 05-16-05 at 07:36 AM
Ian couldn't have weighed more than 100 lbs tho.

Oh wait, he only THOUGHT he was her boyfriend.

"The radio business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

"Loss of 0.5 lb"
Posted by strid333 on 05-15-05 at 05:13 PM
This happening over the last couple of days when Ian didn't take her with him.

Three is the perfect number.

"8 lbs"
Posted by seahorse on 05-16-05 at 02:30 AM
At the most

Handcrafted by RollDdice

"7 Lbs"
Posted by fairyprincess on 05-16-05 at 08:40 AM
When do we get the results??

Posted by Flowerpower on 05-16-05 at 07:21 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-05 AT 07:22 AM (EST)

Well, so far I have not seen/heard the results, but I promise you, even if I have to track her down myself and ask the question, I WILL! As soon as I know the results, I'll post away! Good luck.

Posted by Andromeda on 05-16-05 at 09:34 AM
We all look forward to the results!

Just out of curiosity, Flowerpower, how much weight do you think Katie ended up losing?

~*~Andromeda~*~

"RE: 20 pounds"
Posted by DonnaLynn on 05-16-05 at 09:53 AM
I'm going with 20 pounds...

--Donna :~)

"RE: 20 pounds"
Posted by Wacko Jacko on 05-16-05 at 09:59 AM
I am not going to bash Katie. There have been worse people on Survivor make it just as far if not win the game.

But.....honestly I don't think she lost anything on the Island. You know how they go from the final two at the final tribal council to the live shot in NYC, well I thought Katie lost more weight off the island than on the island. She is the first person I have seen that appeared to lose weight after the show.