URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID87
Thread Number: 321
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Laila Ali- what's the attraction"

Posted by filmaker on 05-15-07 at 10:34 PM
Someone help me out? I don't understand what the appeal is for Ali. There is something odd about her dancing. I feel she is still too stiff and I don't see where people get that she is graceful. I just don't see it.

I don't understand why people vote for her either. She is nothing but a beeyotch when Maks tries to point out the phone number to call/web site she gets rude with him. Monday she actually slapped his hand down when he tried to grab her hand. She does not deserve to be on the show.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Laila Ali- what's the attraction"
Posted by vince3 on 05-15-07 at 10:53 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-15-07 AT 10:54 PM (EST)

Two words: Her father (Mohammed Ali)

ETF: Speeling of the Greatest's name (I think....)

Posted by katbunny85 on 05-21-07 at 03:01 PM
ETF: Speeling of the Greatest's name (I think....)
----------------

Stop thinking!
You're not good at it!

Posted by catsnotkids on 05-16-07 at 09:48 AM
I think she's gorgeous. A big, beautiful and powerful woman. She smashes stereotypes that make female beauty about being a "Desperate Housewife" size 0. She's confident and fabulous!

Women have it much harder on the show, because they have to dance, they can't just throw their partner around. She's not as good as the professional women, but I'm quite OK with that.

Not sure who "deserves" to be on the show, or what that means, but I find her to be a great dancer and someone that young people can admire and look up to. It would be great if women could aspire to be strong and powerful rather than so hungry/thin that they pass out when they stand up.

Posted by udg on 05-16-07 at 12:30 PM
She's a "big" woman, but she has a six-pack! Have you seen her abs? IMO, they need to stop putting her in those stupid dresses with the flap of fabric down the middle (it just makes her look wider, even though it's supposed to emphasize the hourglass figure) and start putting her in tops with separate skirts again, which are much more flattering to her body.

Laila has been in my top three every single week. She totally deserves to be there now.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

Posted by katbunny85 on 05-21-07 at 03:03 PM
I think she's gorgeous. A big, beautiful and powerful woman. She smashes stereotypes that make female beauty about being a "Desperate Housewife" size 0. She's confident and fabulous!

I AGREE ! GO LAILA !

Posted by qwertypie on 05-16-07 at 10:31 AM
Welcome filmaker!
I think Laila is a gorgeous woman (I agree with Catsnotkids 100%).
I do think her dancing ability has definitely slipped (someone said her knees were giving her problems), so I am less of a fan of her performances now than her earlier ones.
I am annoyed at the judges for artificially giving her high marks to keep her in.
And watching Maks (and his ego) for several seasons, I think being knocked around by Laila will be good for him as a person

I really don't remember her being snippy with him until he "betrayed" her by choreographing that Tango that broke the rules (and the hold)

I've danced with Tribe! 2007

Posted by mistyrose52 on 05-16-07 at 10:41 AM
IMHO, the whole hoopala about Laila is very complicated. Yes, her father is one of the greatest athletes of all time. Also, it hasn't been since season one that a female has won the trophy, if you count that Kelly Monaco had to rematch with John O'Hurley-crybaby.

Also, as the others have said, she is amazingly beautiful, not stick figure skinny, an incredible athlete, and someone who just does NOT fit any other sterotype that has ever been on this show. That in itself gives her an edge.

But I do think #1 and #1 alone will give her more points than most, but she has really pulled a lot of this off alone. She plays by the rules, she struggles to perfection, and she WANTS to win! She knows she's up against the men, but she has a fire in her personality that most women don't. Then again, how many women do you know that go around knocking out other women for a living??? Hummmm???

Posted by prosecutor on 05-16-07 at 01:04 PM
>
>season one that a female
>has won the trophy, if
>you count that Kelly Monaco
>had to rematch with John
>O'Hurley-crybaby.
Hahahaha

>Then
>again, how many women do
>you know that go around
>knocking out other women for
>a living??? Hummmm???
hahaha your post really had me cracking up.

Posted by katbunny85 on 05-21-07 at 03:06 PM
I am annoyed at the judges for artificially giving her high marks to keep her in.

LAILA FOOT WORK IS PERFECT!
She smoothly glides across the floor.
I agreed with the judges, both routines
were good.

Posted by Sagebrush Dan on 05-16-07 at 11:32 AM
I do think her dancing has slipped, and she did not deserve higher scores than Ian. That said, she is a hoot to watch, especially the way she stands up to Maks. I'm waiting for her to sock him for all of the grandstanding he does on the show.
I enjoy watching her and am learning from her fighting spirit and the way she approaches this as a competition.
I don't necessarily have anything against her, I just think the judges are overhyping her a bit.

Shucks ma'am, yer too late. I'm one of the Tribe

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
—Mark Twain

Posted by dragonflies on 05-16-07 at 12:46 PM
I agree with Dan.

Posted by prosecutor on 05-16-07 at 01:07 PM
>I do think her dancing has
>slipped, and she did not
>deserve higher scores than Ian.

Totally disagree with you. Ian was the stiff one who
got high marks when he did not deserve it. I thought
Ian can't dance at the beginning and I think I is learning to dance but he has not arrived yet. good riddance.

Posted by prosecutor on 05-16-07 at 01:14 PM
One thing I would like to add about Laila. Here once again women have the opportunity to vote for a woman and they have to turn bitchy, catty you name it. I am sick of the men winning every f***** season. Case in point Stacey Kiebler she was a good dancer but women hated on her and voted for a man.

Posted by shaneperry on 05-16-07 at 02:31 PM
i agree Stacey should have one, she was the best on that show. Laila is great , she dances with grace n class and don't forget she's a boxer , a very tough sport. To see her dance so smooth n elegant is just fantastic.

Posted by miss_ganda on 05-16-07 at 11:15 PM
THANK YOU ! I was about to post something about this. So many fake people (especially the 3 judges), IMO, patronizing Ali's daughter. Her father might be the "greatest" but Laila sure ain't, at least not in DWTS.

Thanks to Laila, poor Ian got booted out prematurely. Compare Laila's routine against Ian's or vs the rest of the guys still standing for that matter. None of her routines are anywhere half as difficult as the others'. How I wish Stacy Kibler and Lisa Rinna were in this round. Their far more advanced and fluid movements put Laila's to shame.

To be fair though, Laila does have a camera-friendly face.

Posted by miss_ganda on 05-16-07 at 11:23 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-07 AT 11:28 PM (EST)

BTW, Maksim C. deserves additional pay for the hard work he puts in due to Laila's posture. Yes folks, you've heard the judges (almost mealy-mouth) say to Laila that she has to watch her posture.

She doesn't tilt her back far enough in order for Maksim to be able to maintain his balance. With Laila not helping him on that, Maksim has that extra challenge on top of the number itself.

The only time Laila tilted her back was to do those rotations during that poignant tribute to her father. Even then she short-changed the viewers as that was the only highlight of her dancing. She could have done a couple more of those spins for our viewing pleasure.

Posted by miss_ganda on 05-16-07 at 11:24 PM
OOps, still want to share cocktails w/Qwerty despite the dissenting opinions.

Cheers !

Posted by katbunny85 on 05-21-07 at 02:58 PM
I think she's the most captivating contestant this year.

Oh, and by the way; she's beautiful, sexy and can DANCE !

I agree with the judges when it comes to Laila Ali !

Posted by MegaJoy007 on 05-29-07 at 03:07 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-29-07 AT 03:46 PM (EST)

RE: Laila Ali- what's the attraction"
Posted by katbunny85 on 05-21-07 at 02:58 PM
I think she's the most captivating contestant this year.
Oh, and by the way; she's beautiful, sexy and can DANCE !

I agree with the judges when it comes to Laila Ali !

==================================================

Katbunny85---you are correct.
I think Laila Ali was great.

Posted by qwertypie on 05-30-07 at 06:12 PM
Welcome to the boards MegaJoy!

Posted by iltarion on 05-29-07 at 11:46 PM
I was in awe every time I watched Laila dance. She is one of a kind and a great dancer to boot. She is an unbelievably physically impressive woman, and yet she is still beautiful, womanly, and graceful. She reminded me of Stacy Keibler who was also physically gifted ahtletically and very graceful. Laila was not as good a dancer as Stacy was, however. Stacy SHOULD have won that season. Stacy was arguably the best dancer DWTS has ever seen, though I think Mario and Apollo belong in the conversation. Laila was good enough for 3rd this season, which is exactly where she belonged. The judges did give her the Emmitt-treatment to keep her around as long as possible, I think because they wanted a woman to make the finals, but she ended up exactly where she belonged, as I already said, 3rd. Joey and Apollo were just too good. Nothing but love and respect to the beautiful and strong Laila Ali though.
As other posters have noted, Laila clearly shows that beauty does not have to come in a petit package, (and yeah, that observation comes from a man.)