URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID69
Thread Number: 318
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Simon's prediction for Carrie"

Posted by geekboy on 03-24-05 at 03:17 PM
We all heard Simon's extremely premature prediction about Carrie winning, and his additionally whacky prediction of her sales figures - TWO WEEKS INTO THE REAL COMPETITION.

I was talking this over with my wife, and we both agreed that if anyone would sell more records than any other Idol winner, that person would be Bo Bice.

I can't see why the AI team is already hitching a ride on Carrie, who has less stage prescence than Ruben Studdard. You would think they would want to kickstart the Idol CD sales, and I honestly believe they need someone fresh in terms of style, both musically and otherwise.

That person is Bo Bice, no question.

geekboy

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Simon's prediction for Carrie"
Posted by Ricky on 03-24-05 at 03:27 PM
It's possible that both Bo and Carrie could both go on to sell more records than any other American Idol so far. Regardless of where they finish on the show.

Bo is unique and not your typical AI which could draw more fans.

Carrie doesn't have a great stage presence as you said, but she's a country singer at heart. There's a lot of people that listen to country out there.

In the end, those of us that walk away winning, win more than just a loss - Audrey, Apprentice loser

Posted by geekboy on 03-24-05 at 04:29 PM
Please understand me, i have nothing against Carrie, per se. Granted, she's not my favorite contestant this year, i am not saying she's not talented, and i'm sure she'll get a contract even if she doesn't win and sell CDs.

Regarding the country side of an AI winner, don't discount Josh Gracin who has had a tremendously successful year with his debut country CD (which i own, by the way, and its damn good).

The point i was trying to make is this - Carrie, and an AI winner, will not be all that different than Kelly, Ruben, or Fantasia. All three previous were truly 'pop' in some sense of the word, even though Ruben and Fantasia had an R&B edge. I think that if Bo were to win, it would definately set him apart from teh previous three, and add some much needed excitement that an AI winner needs, and that the AI franchise need, since Kelley is still the most successful from season 1.

That's all,

Geekboy

Posted by munson on 03-26-05 at 10:35 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-26-05 AT 10:37 PM (EST)

Bo is unique and not your typical AI which could draw more fans.

True, Bo is unique in the AI competitions but he's hardly unique in the bigger world of music sales. Someone (probably Simon) said earlier that there is a Bo Bice performing every night in some bar across America.

I like Bo and hope he makes it far in this competition because I believe he's good for the AI franchise. BUT, as a rock vocalist in general, he's really very average, IMHO.

Carrie doesn't have a great stage presence as you said, but
she's a country singer at heart. There's a lot of people that listen to country out there.

I'll offer that Carrie was the early favorite in the competition following her audition in ?St. Louis?. "Farm Girl" has a BIG support base which will continue to grow as similiar singers are eliminated (Lindsey and Jessica come to mind).

Finally, and FWIW, a personal anecdote regarding Carrie. I have two nieces, ages 14 and 11. Neither watch AI regularly but have seen it in the past. Last week, I watched the Tuesday performance show with them. Their favorite? Carrie. In a landslide. The 14 year-old (a big Usher fan) liked Nikko a little but thought he was an Usher wannabe. The younger one liked Anthony (he's cute and has a good voice) but she's very into Jesse Mccartney at the moment so there you go, but she thinks Avril is the be all and end all when it comes to music. Neither had any use for Mikalah, Constantine or Bo.

"My take"
Posted by survivorscott on 03-24-05 at 09:00 PM
he said "more than any other winner", but not any other idol. Does anyone have any total for all contestant's record sales so far?
If I were a betting man I would put money on Josh having the most sales with the country fans. Thats what I think Simon had in mind, Country fans are rabid more so than teeny boppers.

Come in a stranger,leave a little stranger

"RE: My take"
Posted by geekboy on 03-24-05 at 10:03 PM
I have no figures but i would bet money that Clay is at #1, followed by Kelley.

geekboy

Posted by udg on 03-26-05 at 12:26 PM
I don't know about overall sales, but Clay's single sold way more than either Kelly's or Ruben's.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

Posted by seahorse on 03-28-05 at 08:37 AM
LAST EDITED ON 04-02-05 AT 10:54 PM (EST)

Actually I think Kelly has outsold Clay even though I like Clay better. She has had many more top 40 hits and has been at it for a year longer.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by Loquatrix on 03-25-05 at 04:29 PM
I can pull up all the offical sales figures once I'm back at my office on Monday. I'm not doing it today; too much like work, and I have the day off. ;)

Post a list of whose album sales you want to find out about, and I'll research them for you. Don't just say "All of them" because I can't remember 95% of their names. Gimme list of names.

Posted by survivorscott on 03-25-05 at 08:32 PM
Kelly Clarkson
Justin Guarini
Tamayra Gray
R J Helton
Ruben Studdard
Clay Akin
Kimberly Locke
Josh Gracin
Fantasia Barino
Diana Degarmo

I think those are the ones that have had an album released the widest. R.J.'s is a Christen Album. Feel free to add anymore you know.

Come in a stranger,leave a little stranger

Posted by Ricky on 03-25-05 at 10:14 PM
Throw in William Hung too please. He's actually sold quite a few cds.

In the end, those of us that walk away winning, win more than just a loss - Audrey, Apprentice loser

"Simon's job"
Posted by Loquatrix on 03-25-05 at 04:33 PM
is not just to judge the contestants, but also to promote the show. By issuing controversial statements like these, his aim is to whip up voter interest and have people feverishly voting for their favourites over and over again in order to defeat Simon's "certain winner".

Remember that nothing happens on the show that is not designed to keep the ratings up. Paula lolling all over Simon; Randy and Simon threatening fisticuffs; rumours being issued about romances between contestants; stories about contestants drunk and disorderly on a night out... All of it. Everything that is said and done is said and done for the benefit of the ratings.

Posted by bob_chester on 03-26-05 at 01:06 PM
Maybe I am wrong but I think I remember him saying similar to Latoya earlier last season and look what happened. This year’s group is so much better quality the last season IMHO. ( I like all the contestants left.)

I really like Bo but I think he will be more successful if he gets booted off around number 4 or 5, then gets a contract with a good rock band that needs the publicity and a great front man. If he is controlled by AI after wining his CDs will be as boring as Ruben and Fantasias. Bo needs to be in control of his own career after this show. Bo is meant for better things! He is really talented and that talent goes beyond singing.

I don’t think Simon is looking for something original; he is looking for something he thinks will sell.

I agree that they do need somebody after this show that will sell like Kelly or better. They need some success there to give the show credibility.

Posted by seahorse on 03-26-05 at 02:17 PM
While sales from records by the winner is nice, the big money maker is high ratings. Both the producers and Fox are making money hand over fist based on the show's high ratings and the advertising revenue that a #1 show commands.

So I don't think how well the AI contestants do is that important, overall.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by bob_chester on 03-28-05 at 12:45 PM
>
>
>So I don't think how well
>the AI contestants do is
>that important, overall.
>
I disgree, Since the award for winning this show is getting a recording contract it should be important how well they sell. But last year the show was number one in the ratings yet produced no real stars. At least not from what I have seen so far. I don't think the show will last more then 1 or 2 more seasons if there is not real successful star out of the show.

Posted by geekboy on 03-28-05 at 01:16 PM
Thank you Bob,

This is my point exactly. Yes, the show still pulls in great ratings and one can safely assume part of the ratings is for people watching a 'star in the making', at least that is part of what i truly enjoy. All three seasons it was fascinating watching some of the contestants grow throughout the 3-4 months or so of the show. This is particularly true of Clay in season two.

Personally, i get tired of the initial auditions show. I like the competition far more.

The fact that Ruben fizzled, and it appears as if Fantasia is fizzling too, sadly. I think part of this is the 'packaging' they try to wrap them in with their debut CD. I think both ruben and Fantasia could have benefitted from NOT being shoved into the R&B/hip-hop genre solely.

Anyway, i do think the franchise needs a superstar a'la Kelley and Clay this season to sustain it. Season one gave us Kelley who has proven herself worthy.

This is why i would love to see Bo win, to break us out of the 'pop/R&B' mold that AI is in. It needs to diversify to sustain itself.

geekboy

Posted by seahorse on 04-02-05 at 10:59 PM
"I don't think the show will last more then 1 or 2 more seasons if there is not real successful star out of the show."

I totally disagree The ratings are great and as long as they do this only once a year and there is no oversaturation the show will stay a hit. It does not take much to make a hit show on FOX, even if the ratings drop in half over the next couple of years, this show will still be one of FOX's best performers and it will stay on the air.

The only thing that would kill this show is if it could be proven that the outcome of the voting is rigged.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by TeamJoisey on 03-27-05 at 01:19 AM
I think Carrie will sell many more records than Bo, regardless of the winner.

Both are fairly average singers.

Both will be entering saturated niches.

But there always seems to be room for an attractive blonde country-pop singer.
That genre always wants more of the same.

Long-haired pseudo-rockers with very little charisma? Eh.
Not unless he can put Journey back together.

Face it, if Bo were a real hard core rocker, he'd rather die than appear on a piece of fluff like American Idol.
Just ask Constantine's bandmates.

Posted by okaychatt on 03-27-05 at 12:19 PM
<Just ask Constantine's bandmates

Constantine is a legend in his own mind. I'm guessing his bandmates agree?

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Posted by green eyed girl on 03-31-05 at 04:23 PM
I agree! I think Bo is fantastic! Simon is absolutely right when he said that Bo looks like he has been performing all his life. I would love it if he won this season.

"in my opinion..."
Posted by kittykat_08 on 04-01-05 at 01:12 AM
i dont think carrie is all that great. she's good but not great.
i think that what simon said was out of place. carrie has a charm i guess cuz she reminds me of kelly clarkson in so many ways but i doubt that she will win or sell more records than fantasia kelly or ruben. she is too commercial for me but maybe thats what simon thinks is so great about her. all i can say is let AMERICA decide and NOT simon

"RE: in my opinion..."
Posted by PreacherWife on 04-02-05 at 07:43 PM
>i dont think carrie is all
>that great. she's good but
>not great.
>i think that what simon said
>was out of place. carrie
>has a charm i guess
>cuz she reminds me of
>kelly clarkson in so many
>ways but i doubt that
>she will win or sell
>more records than fantasia kelly
>or ruben. she is too
>commercial for me but maybe
>thats what simon thinks is
>so great about her. all
>i can say is let
>AMERICA decide and NOT simon
>

Well I'm not Simon but I can tell you she will win too. It's just obvious IMO. She's not my favorite contestant either. I hope I'm wrong!

Posted by cloudbug2 on 04-03-05 at 06:04 PM
It's funny to read all the posts saying how the winner of AI should be so unique and different. Different from who, from What? I liked Kelly, Ruben and Fantasia but they are hardly unique when compared to other singers on the radio. They were unique when compared to the others contestants on the show, that's all.

I believe if vocal talent and ability determined the outcome, then Carrie and Lindsey would be the final 2. However, showmanship and personality do play a role which is why Bo, Constantine, possibly Nadia are still in the running.

I believe Carrie may win, although I think she will have a more sucessful career if does not win. Carrie's voice is more powerful, and the tone is more pleasing than most 'country' singers.

I like that Carrie does not try to be someone she is not, someone who will run around the stage, jump on the judge's desks, etc, just to get a few more votes.

Putting on a great show is about connecting with the audience with your voice, not making them dizzy watching you.