URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID33
Thread Number: 317
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"html help"

Posted by DooWahDitty on 02-14-06 at 01:58 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-14-06 AT 02:00 PM (EST)

Try as I might, I could NOT get the "bracket capital P right facing carot" to disappear from the text in this post: http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID6/24136.shtml#13

(It's at the end of the paragraph "The Great Tax Shift" toward the bottom of the post)

I was trying to bold starting with "But" and ending with "'it." It just wouldn't take. I backspaced over and over, tried deleting... nothing would work. Is this just a minor unexplainable glitch (which I suspect is the case), or is it something I'm missing? Thanks. (P.S. I even fixed this over and over again in the word document I created prior to posting.)

pachyderm powered by syren

Table of contents
  • RE: html help,mysticwolf, 04:40 PM, 02-14-06
  • RE: html help,tribephyl, 04:59 PM, 02-14-06
    • RE: html help,DooWahDitty, 05:16 PM, 02-14-06
      • RE: html help,tribephyl, 05:26 AM, 02-15-06

Messages in this discussion
"RE: html help"
Posted by mysticwolf on 02-14-06 at 04:40 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-14-06 AT 04:40 PM (EST)

If I had to guess, it's because you never (right bracket - ] )ended your link, neither before you went to underline mode, nor, before you line broke for the next one.

A Syren Spring

Posted by tribephyl on 02-14-06 at 04:59 PM
One thing I noticed was that you included an underline stop but never had an underline start to begin with. Oft times extra stops will alter the page set-up.

Also, all links will automatically "underline" themselves so there would be no need to add an underline command.

Also, when you started the hotlink everything looked fine, but you actually never included the closing bracket. Which is probably why the "P" showed up. (Side note: Hot-links cannot be bolded. So in order to change the style of the ending sentence, I had the hot-link stop before the bolded part.)

Anyways, I provided a fix below...

The Great Tax Shift by William G. Gale and Peter R. Orszag: "The president says his cuts are simply a way of 'giving people their money back'.But the bill will come due one way or another - and lower - and middle-class households will foot it."

Was that what you were thinking?

Posted by DooWahDitty on 02-14-06 at 05:16 PM
*smooch* to both you and mystic, tribe, for the helpwakeup noggin conk!

re what I was going for: Almost! I wanted to bold starting at "But" without an underline. And thanks for the reminder about the underlining of links.

I could have tried hitting "reply with quote" as another way of better seeing my html - even though I checked and re-checked it both in the reply box and in the Word document.

Funny how these things get by you even with ad infitum proofing.

pachyderm powered by syren

Posted by tribephyl on 02-15-06 at 05:26 AM
Funny how these things get by you even with ad infitum proofing.

Don't I know it.
It's like a carp-shoot sometimes.