URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 3111
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Top 3 Theme, who will the judges/Iovine scuttle?"

Posted by Snidget on 05-13-11 at 04:52 PM
So one song is the idol's choice (don't know if that'll be new or review song, although usually a song you sang before is in the finally).

One song chosen by the jidges.

One song picked for them by Iovine.

http://mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-10-top-3-hometown-trips-and-a-trio-of-songs.htm

Traditionally we get one of the song choices announced at the home visit, but we will see. They've been tight with the spoilers for the most part this year.

For the most part the jidges have been "stay in your wheel house" but traditionally this is where they get a "way outside the box" to see if they can do anything else pick.

So who will follow which path? Will the jidges give Haley that favorite song everyone knows and love or will they pick something obscure? Will they try to get Scotty out of his box or keep him in BabyLockThemDoors Mode?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"Judges Picks"
Posted by Snidget on 05-14-11 at 10:46 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-14-11 AT 12:27 PM (EST)

Announced during home visit.

Lauren Alaina--I Hope You Dance, Lee Ann Womack
Scotty McCreery--She Believes In Me, Kenny Rogers

So far, they are playing to their strengths...

Haley Reinhart--You Ought to Know, Alanis Morissette

hmmmmm.

"RE: Judges Picks"
Posted by Maroonclown on 05-18-11 at 01:33 PM
Scotty McCreery--She Believes In Me, Kenny Rogers

If this is true - *thud*

"Haley's judge pick."
Posted by Estee on 05-14-11 at 04:29 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-14-11 AT 04:43 PM (EST)

Does this qualify as a sabotage song? Alanis is a pretty divisive artist in her own right: they may be hoping the choice will cost Haley a few votes all by itself.

Or put another way: in this corner, we've got two who keep using their airtime to promote their god and in the other, we've got one singing a composition by someone who played God -- a casting choice (and movie) which offended the same people Scotty & Lauren are fighting over. Think any of those memories might replay?

"RE: Haley's judge pick."
Posted by Snidget on 05-14-11 at 04:58 PM
Wonder if the AI peeps will echo the local press about the miracle of the thunderstorms holding off so Scotty's concert wasn't rained out?

He's got a baseball game to throw the first pitch for, we'll see if he can drive away the rain for that.

Posted by Estee on 05-14-11 at 05:33 PM
I need some information on the percentage of miracle. What did his mere presence drive out, a 60% chance? 80%? 100%? Because my local forecasters have blown it on 100%.

Posted by Snidget on 05-14-11 at 06:15 PM
60% chance of precipitation, The thunderstorm moved through here with enough time to get there for the rain out, but fizzled on the way and looks like it got going on the other side just after the concert.

"Meh,"
Posted by Estee on 05-14-11 at 07:27 PM
Maybe it'll sound better after two thousand years of telephone tag.

"RE: Meh,"
Posted by Snidget on 05-14-11 at 07:36 PM
Sounds like it may have rained on at least some part of Haley's festivities, does that make it more impressive?

Posted by Estee on 05-14-11 at 07:46 PM
Overall, I think it sounds like May.

Posted by Snidget on 05-14-11 at 07:59 PM
Like God has anything more important to do than mess with reality TV shows.

Posted by cahaya on 05-14-11 at 11:47 PM
Well, May 21 comes soon in less than a week.

Posted by MarkP on 05-15-11 at 11:45 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-15-11 AT 11:54 AM (EST)

>LAST EDITED ON 05-14-11
>AT 04:43 PM (EST)

>
>Does this qualify as a sabotage
>song?

In terms of the song itself I think Haley is the winner big time here. I think she could have another moment with this one. Scotty sure as heck won't have a moment with a 1970s Kenny Rogers song and they could not have picked a worse song for Lauren if they tried. There are countless prefect country songs out there for Scotty and Lauren so I hope these 2 don't blow it with their own choice. Then again Scotty could sing the ABCs and get to the finals but Lauren's chances now ride on her song choice. Haley fans should be rejoicing here.

Posted by Max Headroom on 05-16-11 at 08:34 AM
Agree, if Haley demolishes that song, she boosts her chances significantly. She needs to take risks to give herself a chance at outperforming Scotty and Lauren.

As a Haley fan, I am happy.

Posted by Maroonclown on 05-18-11 at 01:40 PM
Nice thesus but do you really think peeps get that detailed in their analysis?

Maybe they do and maybe I just see Alanis as a Canadian chick singer that no-one really pays attention to. And "Dogma" wasn't exactly what I would call mainstream America. Hell, it wasn't even mainstream Canadian.

Posted by Estee on 05-18-11 at 02:26 PM
It definitely went mainstream protest.

Put it this way: I think there are a lot of people in the fundamentalist camps who are very eager to both make and spread the news of a connection. And they'll sell it as 'Anyone who would perform a song by that woman is clearly ungodly. Fight them!'

Believe me, they'll sell it. There's millions of buyers out there and none of those people ever check the label.

"This may be all of them."
Posted by Estee on 05-16-11 at 07:19 PM
The Worsters aren't completely sure about the source, but they're going with it until something else comes along.

Haley:

You Oughta Know, Alanis Morissette
Sweet Dreams, The Eurythmics
Feeling Good, Nina Simone.

Scotty:

She Believes in Me, Kenny Rogers
You'll Think of Me, Keith Urban
What Hurts the Most, Rascal Flatts.

Lauren:

Give Me One Reason, Tracy Chapman
I Hope You Dance, LeAnn Womack
How Do I Live, LeAnn Rimes

Darn. And I was really looking forward to the Jesus-Off.

"RE: This may be all of them."
Posted by SpotTheDifference on 05-17-11 at 09:14 AM
If these are the actual song choices, I would think that Haley would have the most difficult job of the three, simply because of how different her songs are from each other. I also don't think that Sweet Dreams is a "singer's song"; I mean, the verses are too monotonic and will likely do nothing to showcase her voice. I'm also not sure why she gets You Oughta Know, when just the week before, she gets criticized for being "shouty". Of the three picks, I think she'll do the best with Feeling Good.

On the other hand, Lauren gets "How Do I Live", which is guaranteed to make me want to turn my TV off.

Posted by KeithFan on 05-17-11 at 09:33 AM
"Sweet Dreams" could be good for her. You are right that it isn't a "singer's song", but it does have its moments, and it will provide some room for her to use some performance skills, preferably in tight leather.

I dont really need to know what the songs are though, here is how it will go down. Scotty and Lauren: judges will be all over themselves on all 3, only picking out the highlights of each performance. Haley: at least one of the songs they will say "bad song choice and at this stage of the game you cant pick bad songs"

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. -Ronald Reagan

"Rejoice!"
Posted by Estee on 05-17-11 at 10:36 AM
For he hath beheld The Agenda. And it was good. (At least, it was good that he beheld it. The Agenda itself? Svcks.)

Posted by Maroonclown on 05-18-11 at 01:43 PM
preferably in tight leather

Easy there cowboy.

Posted by KeithFan on 05-18-11 at 03:18 PM
Just saying that is what Fox wants, I'm a happily married man so I will just listen from the other room.

Posted by Estee on 05-17-11 at 10:34 AM
Feeling Good is a notorious death song: most people who perform it go out the door that week. Make of that what you will. (I say it's The Mentor Of Dumb's pick.)

Posted by SpotTheDifference on 05-17-11 at 11:05 AM
She's the most criticized of the three people left; I'm not surprised she gets the death song. She also gets the song whose lyrics need to get cleaned up before she can sing it live--this compared to the more emotional songs that the two teenage country bumpkins are singing.

Posted by frodis on 05-17-11 at 11:50 AM
That sure is a lot of old songs.

So at least Scotty gets two that are from this century. The girls get the oldies. Especially Hayley.

Where's Simon with his harping on being "relevant?"

Posted by Estee on 05-17-11 at 12:19 PM
I usually picture him sitting in the exact audio center of a room full of 3D sets, laughing until he collapses on the screen-covered floor.

"Latest on Haley"
Posted by cahaya on 05-18-11 at 01:45 AM
According to MJ's blog, thanks to her parents spilling the beans...

Her judges choice we know: “You Oughta Know” by Alanis.
Producer’s Pick: “Rhiannon” by Fleetwood Mac
Her own pick: “What Should Never Be” by Led Zepplin (She’s going to get lambasted on it, says dad) Zep contacted Hailey after she sang “House of the Rising Sun” and offered her their songs. Led Zepplin has only been performed once on Idol–Adam Lambert sang “Whole Lotta Love” for Rock Week Top 4 in Season 8.

If Haley pulls these off, Lauren is toast.

"RE: Latest on Haley"
Posted by Estee on 05-18-11 at 07:22 AM
And for Haley's next trick, she'll tap-dance through a minefield.

The standing 'Randy will hate everything he thinks he can get away with' argument may have just gotten backed.

Posted by TxSheCat on 05-18-11 at 11:45 AM
>According to MJ's blog, thanks to
>her parents spilling the beans...
>
>
>Her judges choice we know: “You
>Oughta Know” by Alanis.
>Producer’s Pick: “Rhiannon” by Fleetwood Mac
>
>Her own pick: “What Should Never
>Be” by Led Zepplin (She’s
>going to get lambasted on
>it, says dad) Zep contacted
>Hailey after she sang “House
>of the Rising Sun” and
>offered her their songs. Led
>Zepplin has only been performed
>once on Idol–Adam Lambert sang
>“Whole Lotta Love” for Rock
>Week Top 4 in Season
>8.

>
>If Haley pulls these off, Lauren
>is toast.

I love "Rhiannon" and if she nails that, then I'll be impressed. Scotty's songs, if that is the correct list shown further above, are all going to sound exactly the same..they are all slow ballads with no real 'reach' for him.....did y'all see the video clip of Josh Turner (the original "Babylockthemdoorsandturnthelightsdownlow" singer) at Scotty's hometown concert? Another miracle, perhaps?

Posted by Estee on 05-18-11 at 02:27 PM
In other miracle news, Scotty walked on water today.

It's raining in California.

Posted by cahaya on 05-18-11 at 06:36 PM
In other California news, the sun shines on James at his homecoming last Saturday.

Next?

Saturday was not the last chance local Idol fans will get to see him perform. Judge Steven Tyler has long since said that Durbin will have a chance to perform with Aerosmith during the show’s grand finale next week. Apparently, that’s not happening. The Boston Herald reports that the rest of the band nixed the performance, scheduled for May 26. That still leaves Tyler to perform with Durbin in what fans expect will be a rocking performance.

We haven't heard the last of him.

Posted by MarkP on 05-18-11 at 05:20 PM
>
>Scotty:
>
>She Believes in Me, Kenny Rogers
>
>You'll Think of Me, Keith Urban
>
>What Hurts the Most, Rascal Flatts.
>

I give Scotty the hat trick here. The only thing relatively close between Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban and Scotty are that they all claim to sing Country Music. Scotty might as well be singing Micheal Jackson songs. As a Scotty fan his is horrendous and I hope it is not true.