URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 3088
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Rankings - Top 7 - 21st Century"

Posted by geekboy on 04-21-11 at 09:22 AM
An odd thing happened tonight - first, the judges started judging (shock) and I tended to agree with them! Go figure.

In my oh-so-humble-opinion, there were only two standouts tonight, and the others played it safe.

1 - James - "Uprising" by Muse. He took a risk, and he needs to keep doing this. He needs to keep showcasing his vocal talents and showmanship. He could take the prize easily from Scotty's tight grasp.
2 - Casey - "Harder To Breathe" by Maroon 5. He has shown his tender side, his jazzy side and now his rocker/performer side. This guy can do it all. I just hope America sees the talent this guy has.

<GAP>

3 - Haley - "Rolling In The Deep" by Adele - it was an odd performance. she started off quite safe adn followed the Adele version, but then ultimately added in her trademark raspy growl. The best of the 'safe set'.

4 - Lauren - Some Sara Evans tune - Yes, she again played it quite safe in her familiar female country crooner niche, but you could tell from her time with Jimmy, she did step it up a small notch. Jimmy and the judges are correct - this girl has potential.

5 - Scotty - "Swingin" by ?? - In my opinion, Scoty is at a tough crossroads. The number of contestants are dwindling, and his position at the top is getting less safe. He needs to show some diversity like Casey and James, but he still needs to be true to who he is. I agreed with the judges this week, the song and performance were nothing special.

6 - Stefano - "Closer" by Neyo. A good pick, but am I the only one who finds EVERY performance by Stefano to feel the same? None of his performances stand out to me. I don't know what it is, but there is nothing in his performances that ever stick out.

7 - Jacob - "Dance With My Father" by Luther Vandross - I'm so over this guy. He's the male Pia. Ballad. Ballad. Ballad. Ballad. Boring. He needs to go.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Rankings - Top 7 - 21st Century"
Posted by Estee on 04-21-11 at 09:36 AM
1. James. Next week, he jumps off a giant flying violin and sings while parachuting to the stage. Upside-down.

2. Scotty. Weakest performance to date: didn't connect with the song (a problem which continued through the night), was done no favors by his backups, and will figure out what to do with his microphone right after Steven figures out what to do with his brain. Almost got the four-star depimping, but it only wound up as a three. (Figures. That close to Bingo.)

3. Lauren. If I knock down six bottles at the fair, I can win a copy of her. Followed by tossing it in the nearest trashcan. (I don't keep things made of toxic materials.)

4. Casey. More than anything else, it felt like he ran and hid behind his backups. Arguably has the most range of anyone left, but can't demonstrate it for more than one week in a row for fear that The Mentor Of Dumb will lock him back in his designated box. Some of the others may be playing it safe, but in any given performance, Casey has a 50% chance of singing afraid.

5. Haley. Came out looking as if a flock of very small angry birds had defecated all over her dress. Sang as if she was trying to match their achievement.

6. Jacob. And he was given his dive name, and it was Sominexia. And it was not good.

7. Stefano. Oh, was he trying to flirt? I thought he was going for the 3000-mile Heimlich.

Posted by Tummy on 04-21-11 at 09:55 AM
I have a 14 yr old staying with me this week and last night was her first night to watch American Idol in about 3 seasons. "It's boring". This is her take on it...

1. Lauren Alaina - loved her. Favorite.

2. Scotty - he's hot.

3. Stephano - he's hot, but not as hot as Scotty.

4. James - his faces he makes are quirky and she likes quirky.

After that she didn't really care about any of them.

I would go see James in concert and pretty much skip everybody else.

Floating my cares away with Agman - 2011

Posted by Estee on 04-21-11 at 11:28 AM
Introducing Idol's typical voting demographic.

Posted by KoalaChick on 04-21-11 at 05:52 PM
>Introducing Idol's typical voting demographic.

'Splains a lot, doesn't it?

Posted by Tummy on 04-22-11 at 09:04 AM
That's exactly why I posted it. She didn't care much at all who sang better but who was appealing visually. She's a huge Carrie Underwood fan, in fact I think Carrie Underwood is part of her Make A Wish wish. Which is why I think she liked Lauren Alaina, but everyone else was put into two categories. Hot and Not.

Posted by emydi on 04-21-11 at 10:33 AM
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-11 AT 10:33 AM (EST)

1. Casey-I loved it the growler is back and I knew he'd be VFTW

2. James-good song choice but the shrieks UGH

3. Haley-by default no one else that good

4. Jacob-meh, I like earlier LV so much better and he had a flub he'll get the sympathy though

5. Scotty-bad song choice and he really is too safe

6. Lauren-yawn

7. Stefano-please go this week I wonder if he confronted Mark?

Posted by cahaya on 04-21-11 at 10:52 AM
It was a night of drum rolls and doldrums.

Drum Rolls

1. James - We see four drummers straight out of some college marching band corps entering the stage leading James with baton in hand. Dressed in black leather with what appears more to be of a horse whip in hand, he whips out this song. With the heavy drum accompaniment (which surely deafened the judges as they played behind them), James goes all vocal in this one. And wow! It all comes together in an energetic vocal and spine-chilling performance. This is the kind of stuff that sells videos and audio downloads, much less wins votes. (p.s. Muse is one of the very few modern bands I'm a real fan of.)

2. Casey - Casey goes from being a blues basement cafe` stand-up bass player & singer to a pop-rock WGWG singer in one week. This was an energetic performance, vocally fairly good, with a nice arrangement. But I think also saw Paul's WGWG ghost on stage, with non-stop frenetic moves that didn't quite synchronize with the music or song. He'd been better off not moving around so much and focusing more on the song and play than doing high-fives and kissing the most beautiful woman in the world. Thumbs up, provisionally, although I'd like to see him do performances not in the mainstream.

3. Scotty - An interesting and somewhat experimental (read: wrong song) performance by Scotty, shedding the country background and going for more of a big band sound. He pulls this off with his distinctive voice and a nice mix of tones and vocal volume that jives with the music. You know this kind of song isn't his forte`, but it seems that he can adapt just about anything. Thumbs up, although I agree with the judges that this performance didn't play up to his strengths like most of his past performances, and he needs to play up to the cameras (rather than the live audience) a bit more to catch the TV audience vote.

Drumettes

4. Lauren - More and more, it looks like she's a packaged up pull-string doll out of the box, although she might sound better than one. Her performance was ok, but it felt like it was just one more week out of Lauren doing a song that she didn't really connect with. Provisional thumbs up, although she failed to fly on this one.

5. Hayley - Typical Hayley vocal performance, with the slides, semi-yodels, quasi-moos, and vocal notes surely must have been music sheet transcription errors. With a big enough band and supporting chorus to drown out her technical weaknesses, she still didn't succeed with the slink. No, I don't want a lady out yet, but her number is likely going to be shortlisted tomorrow night.

Doldrums

6. Jacob - Here's a guy with a gifted voice, a fine sense of music, tone and harmony and a heart to go with all of it. It looked like he was off to an uncertain start and it went slow for a while and then picked up to his natural zone. Randy's right in that it's time Jacob pull off the gloves and not be afraid to bring the roof down, as he's capable of it. Tonight, though, his was a lacklustre performance that may have impressed a bit, but did not wow or surprise. Let's hope he takes Randy's advice and rouses the house next week - if he survives the this week's vote.

7. Stefano - Again, a fairly typical give-it-your-hardest-try performance by Stefano, who continues to skate by from one week to the next as the second or third worst for the night. And it looks that way tonight too. It's hard to imagine him selling very many labels, although he might make a good event singer. You have to give him kudos for not giving up, even if America is likely to give up on him.

Agman's Muse

Posted by csnumber23 on 04-21-11 at 03:00 PM
Geekboy my rankings are exactly the same except I have Jacob and Stefano flip flopped.

1 - James - Great performance of a song I like a lot.

2 - Casey - Excellent performance of another song I like a lot.

3 - Haley - She is getting better and better.

4 - Lauren - Solid but not her best.

5 - Scotty - Not bad but well below his standards

6 - Jacob - Good but never changes it up

7 - Stefano - Please go home and save my ears

Overall - If Stefano goes as he should, the top 6 will be my top 6 from the beginning!

Posted by emydi on 04-21-11 at 03:37 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-11 AT 03:37 PM (EST)

and it shows in your PTTE Scores!!

Posted by Belle Book on 04-21-11 at 06:23 PM
With the worst singers gone, here are my rankings:

1. James -- this guy sure knows what to sing and how to put on a performance! He could well win!

2. Lauren -- this was a very solid performance, but once again James trumps her.

3. Casey -- really nice performance. He continues to recover from being saved by the judges.

4. Haley -- not bad, but I think Adele would fit better on Thia than on Haley.

5. Jacob -- this was a nice song but he had problems hearing the music at one point and he needs more control vocally.

6. Scotty -- weakest performance to date and a bad song choice to boot. He needs to step it up or he'll lose for sure.

7. Stefano -- not bad, just rather cheesy compared to the others -- especially James.