URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 3080
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"AI 10 Top 8 Performance ECST"

Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 07:37 PM
Songs from the Movies...Oi!

Keep all discussion of tonight's hopefully never done on AI before songs from the Cinema on this thread until the West Coast Cancels their subscription to NetFlix and any movie channels on their cable/satellite.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: AI 10 Top 8 Performance ECST"
Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:00 PM
hopefully never done on AI before songs

And this is what happens to your mind when you start the drinking game three hours before the show.

Posted by BriarRosie on 04-13-11 at 08:39 PM
Sorry I'm late. I got dinner going a bit late. I was able to watch the singing while I was in the kitchen.

"Intro--shocking elimination edition"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:01 PM
Poor poor Pia

"RE: Intro--shocking elimination edition"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:02 PM
How did J. get that much toilet paper stuck to the front of her dress???

Ryan welcomes us to the top 8 week. Huge congrats to J. named the world's most beautiful woman by People mag.

"RE: Intro--shocking elimination edition"
Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:05 PM
According to People, all women will have to do it!

...don' wanna.

"The big lie."
Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:01 PM
"Every vote counts."

Depends on who's doing the counting.

"RE: The big lie."
Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 08:24 PM
No, it's "Every multiple vote counts."

"Drink of the night"
Posted by whimsey on 04-13-11 at 08:04 PM
Drink of the night

chilled white wine

Snack of the night

curried chicken salad with spiced raita and garlic naan

"The journalistic standards of People Magazine."
Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:04 PM
Do not exist.

Yes, she's attractive. Try to dictate her as the most attractive and watch the laughter begin. Ultimately, all beauty is subjective.

"Top 8 come in"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:04 PM
Girls look shiny. Haley, Lauren and um Paul.

"Paul McDonald"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:05 PM
"Old Time Rock n' Roll"

Will.I.Am still at Idol. Did he need sanctuary or something?

"RE: Paul McDonald"
Posted by whimsey on 04-13-11 at 08:07 PM
Say what you will about Paul, but he makes me smile every time.

Posted by zazzy on 04-13-11 at 09:28 PM
Karaoke. In an ugly suit. With lots of energy and grins.

"Insta-poll!"
Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:08 PM
During this performance, did Paul lose:

A. His notes.
B. His voice.
C. His fashion sense.
D. His kinesthetics.
E. His mind.
F. All of the above.

"RE: Insta-poll!"
Posted by whimsey on 04-13-11 at 08:15 PM
Oh, Estee, I bet there's a blow-up Paul doll attached to a Duralast battery in your basement.

mad dash for cover...

"Couldnt get one."
Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:23 PM
The blow-up Paul doll never got past the design testing stage. Not only was it nearly impossible to properly inflate the limbs while keeping them to the original's thinness, but the upper teeth kept puncturing the lip. The resulting sound was exactly like Paul trying to stretch out a note. Weird, huh?

"RE: Insta-poll!"
Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 08:16 PM
Obviously F, but D was so clearly evident.

I'd add a word that rhymes with D for G: His esthetics.

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:09 PM
Will.I.Am still at Idol. Did he need sanctuary or something?

I like to think of it as him having nowhere else to go.

Posted by whimsey on 04-13-11 at 08:29 PM
I kinda diggin the will.i.am and Jimmy show. Oh, dear, now it's out there.

Posted by JessicaRN on 04-14-11 at 01:45 PM
I am enjoying these guys also. I actually think the mentoring has been an interesting change for the better. I don't really know Jimmy, until I looked him up, put he is more opinionated than the guest mentors in the past, and it's mostly good.

Not sure I'd want to cross him, so even more impressed with the couple that have discarded the song he picked for them. Not hearing quite as much about song choice as in the past.

Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:09 PM
Comes down the whole stairs lots of red lighting.

Musical interlude with girl on on the Sax and Paul with a tambourine.

Looks like I'm not the only one that could be accused of starting the drinking game 3 hours early, but Paul always looks like that.

S. wants to borrow the suit. Love the crazy wild abandon, I like it.

J. always going a little bit further and letting it go. A diamond in the rough getting more polish, you killed it.

R. First number at the P.M. concert, love the throw back look, definitely an artist.

Looks like Paul and I not the only ones that could be accused of starting the drinking game 3 hours early...

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:11 PM
Y'know that whole excess praise problem people have been discussing, a.k.a. 'most voters are too stupid to decide who's bad for themselves'? It wasn't fixed in one week.

Yes, Randy, that's right. Paul is not your typical singer. Your typical singer has been known to occasionally sing.

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 08:14 PM
A typical Paul performance and certainly not among the best versions of this classic song I've heard or seen performed. His was a shouty, bone-jangling performance that drew more attention to his outfit and huge shiny white teeth than his song. Of course, the judges lapped it up. One sniff, and I wouldn't touch it.

"Paul gets the death slot!"
Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:06 PM
Nigel's not in a particularly subtle mood...

"RE: Paul gets the death slot!"
Posted by BriarRosie on 04-13-11 at 08:41 PM
It did not go unnoticed by me. It was as subtle as a sledgehammer.

"RE: Paul gets the death slot!"
Posted by zazzy on 04-13-11 at 09:31 PM
Typically the pimp spot person from last week goes first this week. And so it goes.

"Lauren Alaina"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:11 PM
MILEY!!!! MILEYYYYYY!!!! Did Ryan say MILEY!!!!!!!!

*runs*

"Yes, he did..."
Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:12 PM
...and she'll be simul-mentoring with Will.i.am!

"RE: Lauren Alaina"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:19 PM
The Climb.

Damning with faint praise. A chihuahua could sing this song better than Miley.

Did Will.I.Am have a fine I pimped TCO can you turn the camera off now look at the end of that clip?

It was better than Miley, but that ain't saying much.

J. I loved hearing you sing that, I love the tear in your voice it transmits, I want you to go further, so beautifully.

R. The Lauren we first saw is roaring back. we believed in you from day one. You sang it like it was written for you. Amazing job.

S. The first idol we thought of, love what you bring to a song and random rambling on and on.

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 09:21 PM
A chihuahua could sing this song better than Miley.

Spoken like someone who never had to suffer through any trailers for That Bloody Stupid Chihuahua Movie.

Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 09:56 PM
I based that on actual Chihuahuas I have lived with who sang along during my music practice time.

Posted by JessicaRN on 04-14-11 at 01:48 PM
I own and love an "actual chihuahua", but I think he can hit the high notes better. He used to stay in the room for music shows, but he almost immediately gets up and goes to his quiet space now when the opening bars of the American Idol theme plays. It's pretty funny

"Black hole eyes."
Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:21 PM
Say, Lauren? You know that voice inside your head saying you'll never make it? That's me. Isn't it nice, finally getting a formal introduction like this? Don't worry about living with silence: I have a lot more to say on the subject. For example, the somebody who's gonna have to lose? Also you.

I knew this was going to be uber-pimped before the episode began: the producers need to preserve one female and she's it. I knew the way she overdid half the notes would be ignored by the judges, the supposed teacher (who could not have been speaking larger lies if he was co-running with Donald Trump), the think-nothing mentor, and the Swaybots. I knew it would be sickening, a six-inch coating of syrup over radioactive sludge, and no scripted platitudes would make me love it.

But to make me say Miley did it better? Didn't see that one coming.

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 08:22 PM
A pretty good performance by Lauren, picking a song well-suited for her voice and style. But the clothing style needs some work - that looked like an upside-down black umbrella around her waist. Thumbs up, partly for the performance, partly because I don't want to see another lass disappear this week.

Posted by whimsey on 04-13-11 at 08:23 PM
Age appropriate, well sang.

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:24 PM
And possibly the only movie she's ever seen.

Posted by zazzy on 04-13-11 at 09:33 PM
Sung better than when Miley sang it...but I didn't like it when Miley sang it and it rings in my ears.

Laur-wren. Good enough effort. You'll skate through.

Posted by JessicaRN on 04-14-11 at 01:51 PM
How can you compare that performance to what Casey just did? It's just two totally different things. They throw the word "artist" around a lot on this show. In my opinion, Casey is an artist and she has the potential to be a pop star.

I don't like her and I didn't quite get what Steven saw right from the beginning (although looking up her dress wouldn't have done much for me).

"Stefano Langone"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:26 PM
Gets a stool interview.

End of the Road--Boyz to Men

"End of the road?"
Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:29 PM
How is he not seeing the irony?

*looks at Stefano's closed eyes*

I keep forgetting: when it comes to sight, he ranks just under Scott...

'Kill me already!', says Will.i.am as he tries to speak for Stefano. And then the end of the road comes. And comes again. And comes around for another pass because it wasn't sure running him over twice was enough.

Dead end street, Stefano. Guess whose.

"RE: End of the road?"
Posted by JessicaRN on 04-14-11 at 01:53 PM
Will.i.am cracked me up when he said that. Of course, now Stefano know he has to become an "artist" and once again, he gets nothing but praise, although how could anyone but him go home?

"RE: End of the road?"
Posted by Estee on 04-14-11 at 04:33 PM
'Non-possession of a Y chromosome' is the only crime currently being prosecuted.

"RE: Stefano Langone"
Posted by whimsey on 04-13-11 at 08:30 PM
Another song on the "do not sing this song" list. Yeesh. He did a great job, though.

Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:31 PM
Horn section on the stage, back up singers on the other side.

That seemed flat a lot to me, but I'm sure the judges won't agree. He did perform it and showed some passion.

R. says he will get a text that S. slayed the song. You are back, you believe. S. wants to win it.

S. you know how to milk a song. The S. people looking for here tonight.

J. Here you got it, it is about being a great performer, you now know the key. Told you you have to start singing to win, J was beeped, didn't catch for what.

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:32 PM
S. you know how to milk a song.

I have a herd of songs suffering from mastitis which would like to disagree.

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 08:35 PM
Wait until Hayley moos a song.

Trust me, she can do it.

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:43 PM
I prefer people who try 'CAW-CAW!'

Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:44 PM
Is that Hayley I hear...

Nope just a Chick-fil-A cows ad. For a second I feared I'd passed out and missed a bunch.

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 09:22 PM
I laughed at your comment, experiencing the same thing.

Funny thing is, she did moo in her performance.

Posted by BriarRosie on 04-13-11 at 08:46 PM
The Most Beautiful Pottymouth in the World told Stefano that he was a Shiite muslim, maybe.

"That was the sh...."

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 08:33 PM
Well, well, well, maybe Stefano Langone isn't Stefano Longgone quite yet. This was perhaps his best performance to date. Although he looked like he was in pain at times, he sang it fairly well, quick on the rhythm in the fast parts, good timing on the slow parts, and vocally sound. Thumbs up.

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:36 PM
Although he looked like he was in pain at times

His eardrums are sharing a theater with Paul.

Posted by whimsey on 04-13-11 at 08:38 PM
maybe Stefano Langone isn't Stefano Longgone quite yet

*sniggle*

Posted by zazzy on 04-13-11 at 09:35 PM
There's a wedding out there somewhere that needs a singer.

IMO they praised him a lot because they know he is slated to get the axe tomorrow.

"Scotty McCreery"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:37 PM
From "Pure Country" That's a shock!

"I Cross My Heart"

Um, don't you have to leave to go back to your roots?

"RE: Scotty McCreery"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:41 PM
Sitting on a stool. Is that the funky instrument that got spoiled?

Will he ever find vertical?

Walks around at the end.

S. Just love your voice, all of America too. Just right song. You are good.

J. Everyone wants us to be tough, but you all are so damn good. All I want to say is wow. Wasn't my favorite song choice but performed it beautifully.

R. If it ain't broke don't fix it, so happy about this year a star is born on this stage. Listen man, we saw it, but you have grown greatly, huge fan.

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:41 PM
Sometimes I wonder how he would have done on Nashville Star.

This wasn't his strongest performance, but he's generally so far ahead of the pack for overall polish to stand out on any given night. As long as I keep my eyes closed, it's a performance I'd find on pretty much any current country station. If I open them -- well, his stage presence still needs work.

Still no real problems with Scotty here. Yes, he's in a rut, but the rest of them are still scratching at the dirt.

Posted by JessicaRN on 04-14-11 at 01:56 PM
Don't you wonder when his voice changed so he could sing like that? I think he did a good job for what he does. He seemed to struggle a bit when the backup singers came in, but that is probably just inexperience.

He's not my cup of tea, but he's back to getting a spot of The Soup for sitting on a stool, smirking and singing out of the side of his mouth. Not really sure he needs to go to see Jimmy.

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 08:43 PM
Exactly what we can expect from Scotty, certainly album-worthy. The only thing I didn't care much for was the chorus trio that was in on about half of his song, which I didn't think mixed very well with his voice. He's comfortable on stage and into the song. Of course, thumbs up. He makes Paul look like a pretender.

Posted by zazzy on 04-13-11 at 09:39 PM
I thought that last long note needed work. Showed his weakness.

More interesting for me was how much the judges made sure we knew their (and producers') agenda.

Randy. We get it! You are paid to pimp Scotty.

Even Steven got in on the act, talking about votes.

J Lo, basking in her "most beautiful woman of the year" moment. She's the real winner from this season.

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 09:43 PM
J Lo, basking in her "most beautiful woman of the year" moment. She's the real winner from this season.

I don't know if it's me, or her, or both, but she looks better every week. There was a time I didn't care for her at all. Now? she is appealing.

Posted by whimsey on 04-13-11 at 08:43 PM
I think he should have sang "Everybody's Talking At Me". Did his usual good job, and I won't need the Ambien tonight.

"Casey Abrams"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:48 PM
Nat King Cole.

Casey also gets an interview.

Nature Boy to start with Phil Collins In the Air Tonight

Resurrected Nature Boy.

"RE: Casey Abrams"
Posted by whimsey on 04-13-11 at 08:52 PM
Excellent, quite a good departure.

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 09:00 PM
Agreed. Let's hope, though, that this doesn't lead to his departure.

Especially after last week's results, I don't trust either American tastes in music, nor their votes.

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:53 PM
The mandatory two-drink minimum is included in your club admission fee. (You will be charged that price even if you choose to have water.) Have a good evening, go outside if the smoke starts to overwhelm you, and don't forget to tip the waitstaff.

Meeting death on his own terms?

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 09:06 PM
You know, back in the day, days almost forgotten, that wouldn't have been cigarette smoke either.

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 09:18 PM
I think Casey has his own experience with that. Or he borrowed some of Paul's.

Paul brought enough for everybody.

Posted by BriarRosie on 04-13-11 at 08:53 PM
I liked that he was different, but I don't think America is going to embrace it.

Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 08:54 PM
playing a white bass, white grand piano on stage, and drums as well.

I like this, but I don't think America will get it.

Randy and Steven standing. J. finally joins them.

J. I gotta say at the beginning I was nervous as it went on I started thinking what is beautiful about this season is we have all different genres, you don't have to be a Pop star you can be Norah Jones and sell a jazz album, the music crosses boundaries. I honestly feel that I hope America got that.

R. Crazy right, what I am so happy about is we have true artists on the show. Giving a Grammy kind of performance, I hope America gets this, about education and embarrassing who you are. Rambles on about Bubble.

S. Oh what the ramble? S.'s Momma sang to him. Truest sense of artist, Sting and beyond.

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 08:57 PM
I think part of that inane pimping was the usual 'we have to justify the save' -- but they're not wrong. There's a place in America for that kind of performance. It just isn't this competition. He just put himself into the same category as Siobhan: every coffeehouse will take him, every mainstream station will put on another Miley release.

And in the background, I kept hearing Simon whisper 'This is no place to attempt art...'

Posted by MarkP on 04-13-11 at 09:00 PM
Am I the only one who thought that was horrible? Will the judges cry again when someone goes home after they said everyone was brilliant?

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 09:09 PM
The words I kept coming back to were 'Interesting, but doomed.' Not my style, but I could see why (and where) other people might like it -- and why most of the show's voter base won't. You're allowed to lift the lid of the box and peek out, but you cannot tear the cardboard without paying for it.

Posted by zazzy on 04-13-11 at 09:46 PM
I liked it. I didn't like it. It was up and down. Cool jazz Casey.

I kept wondering how a duet of Casey and Haley would go.

SO far, Casey and Stefano for b3 of 8. I don't think "America" will get it.

But then again the judges let the applause go on and on.

And they tried to pimp it. They gave him the "you won't win but you have a lane" pimpage.

Artist. That was their word of the day.

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 08:57 PM
Cool vibes. Oh, yeah, I dig it. At first I wondered where he was heading with this, but after the first few bars and the rhythm kicked in, it was classic. Casey looks kind of fragile out there, but he's on very solid musical ground. One of my favs he's done so far, one thumb up, one on the bass with the finishing note.

Posted by Corvis on 04-13-11 at 09:01 PM
Thanks for these updates. It's a nice break from working on this damn final project.

But question - what's the Nat King Cole reference refer to?

Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 09:06 PM
That was the preview blurb, and isn't that where the original came from?

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 09:13 PM
The '47 original is by eden ahbez (yes, that's not capitalized), Nat King Cole made a major hit of it in '48.

Posted by Corvis on 04-14-11 at 01:03 AM
Oh, watching it now I realize Nature Boy was the song, not In the Air Tonight. I didn't get that from your post.

I really enjoyed Casey's performance. Unique. He's fun to listen to and watch.

"Haley Reinhart"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 09:00 PM
Blondie. Was Call Me used in a movie? That's what came to mind from what Ryan said...we'll find out...after the break.

And it is Call Me!

"RE: Haley Reinhart"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 09:05 PM
I.Want.Those.Boots.

I liked it, and I thought I would hate it so good job.

R. I didn't love the beginning, getting into it at the end, and he revs up the bus that matches her dress.

S. I agree, when you sing choruses, this song is like a chorus love that thing you have on is gorgeous too.

J. I love it when you wail at the end, I'm so afraid to say anything about the girls all getting voted off. Girls, vote for the girls. It wasn't the best. You have to keep taking it higher, keep it at that level like last week.

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 09:06 PM
And all I heard was 'Vote me! Vote me! (I'm the legal one!)'

Why is she wearing stained glass? And why is she wearing a dress so short that with the right HD set, I could tell you what color panties she isn't wearing?

'I can't sing this. So look at me! The girl viewers are voting for the ones they want to have sex with! Don't any of the boys (and a few of the girls) want me?'

Play the sexuality you think you have if that's what you're working with -- but you need a voice. And that performance just became the only thing the judges didn't pimp all night.

They have to save one female. Haley isn't she.

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 09:07 PM
Hah, so you noticed the stained glass and colorless panties too, hmm? Yup, it was about her "see me" visuals.

Posted by whimsey on 04-13-11 at 09:09 PM
It wasn't horrible. I kept trying to think which of the ladies had the vocal chops and the personality. I guess the fact that I couldn't think of one is telling...

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 09:10 PM
More a visual performance than a vocal one, Hayley was sliding notes left and right, up and down. And that ooo-ooo almost did sound like a cow's moo-ooo. Not a pass in my books.

But why are the judges waiting until now to give a single shred of critique, with only two lasses still in the comp? Sure, Hayley doesn't really deserve to be in the top half dozen, but let's level the playing field, yeah?

Posted by zazzy on 04-13-11 at 09:54 PM
This one did nothing for me.

So far I am not enjoying tonight.

There were parts that sounded good.

But just as many that were not so good.

They had to leave in mediocre females so their male would win.

OK so the judges finally critique someone and it's the girl.

Yawn.

Posted by arkiegrl on 04-13-11 at 10:07 PM
I missed this performance, but it sounds like from the comments that I didn't really miss much. And in case they didn't actually say, and anyone really wants to know, Call Me was used in American Gigolo.

"Swing... and a miss."
Posted by Max Headroom on 04-14-11 at 08:08 AM
"Call Me" is my favorite Blondie song, and Haley's rendition wasn't nearly edgy enough to do justice to the song. If I didn't dislike Paul, Jacob, and Stefano more, I'd hope this performance would be the end of Haley. Yuck.

"RE: Swing... and a miss."
Posted by JessicaRN on 04-14-11 at 02:02 PM
Didn't like it. Now they seem to just be trying to get the two women to stay. Unfortunately, I think she should go right after Stefano, or maybe even before.

The fact that she is one of only two women left is unfortunate, but that's how it is when TPTB set up the show. So either change the voting process or just accept how this kind of stuff happens.

"Jacob Lusk"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 09:11 PM
Gets told not to preach to people.

Bridge Over Troubled Water.

"RE: Jacob Lusk"
Posted by BriarRosie on 04-13-11 at 09:14 PM
I'm glad Jimmy told him not to preach. That probably got him into trouble.

That being said, I'm SO GLAD he didn't sing from the Jerry Lewis telethon repetoire.

I felt that Jacob nailed this song. It suited him to a T.

Posted by JessicaRN on 04-14-11 at 02:05 PM
Jimmy helped him in several ways tonight. I'm sure these contestants don't realize how the things coming out of their mouths in an interview can be taken. I don't care for him, but when he said that last week, it kind of sealed the deal for how I react to him.

He did a good job on this song though. Thank goodness he didn't do the other two.

You can tell that he is probably a traditionally trained singer when you see the way he enunciates his words, compared to Paul's mumbling.

Posted by whimsey on 04-13-11 at 09:15 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-13-11 AT 09:15 PM (EST)

Jacob has an incredible instrument. Just perfection. But I didn't believe it the way I wanted to. And I don't think he did either.

Posted by dragonflies on 04-14-11 at 09:33 AM
my thoughts exactly. He sang it beautifully, but I didn't feel he connected with it. I think he just sang it beautifully. I still loved listening to it.

Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 09:15 PM
Isn't there a don't do a song that was someone else on Idol's shining moment. I mean didn't they put this as the B side of Clay's first single because he killed it?

And this is deadly, and not in a good way, IMO.

Bleeped after the song. Not sure why.

S. More bleeping, how much you put into a song, how angelic you sing blabbery blubbery, how well you fit in for the last 3 notes, God bless you.

J. Who does that, can't even heat that note, comes from the place it is supposed to come from.

R. What happens is I believe you. Every word comes out so special, took your time and let it marinate. Perfect perfect perfect harmony.

Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 09:16 PM
So having been told not to preach to people, he puts out the kind of gospel performance that's generally followed by a gentle smile, telling people they're going to burn forever if they don't call the number they see on the screen, and asking an assistant to run a collection plate into the studio audience.

I think he may have missed part of the message.

It wasn't a bad performance -- certainly not on the fail level Haley just blasted down to. But it's nothing we haven't seen from him before -- and unlike Scotty, he's not good enough at putting his stamp on each song to make each minor variation interesting.

Posted by BriarRosie on 04-13-11 at 09:22 PM
My flash of insight this week is about Jacob.

My comparison for him is:

Lamarr Latrell from "Revenge of the Nerds".

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 09:21 PM
A good, soulful rendition of this song. The downside is this performance is exactly what you'd expect from Jacob. While he has a gifted, characteristic voice of his own, it's predictable. He's superb at what he does, but he doesn't do much else. Still... thumbs up as I still like listening to him on stage this season, even if I wouldn't buy his albums.

Posted by zazzy on 04-13-11 at 10:03 PM
Jacob was not thrilled to sing this song. So I wasn't thrilled to hear it.

But he still did it well overall. There was a long note early on that wasn't good but the rest was fine.

He gets favorable placement again.

AI wants Jacob and James to be safe this week, and they know Scotty is safe this week. Lauren likely skates through.

Haley, Stefano, and Paul or Casey for the b3 so far. I just wonder if Paul's fan base is too strong to let him back into the b3 for another week or so.

Hope James is worth it because I could have skipped this week and not missed much.

Posted by JessicaRN on 04-14-11 at 02:08 PM
Jacob seems oddly subdued tonight. Actually, so do several of the contestants and the judges.

Steven is just kind of phoning it in and J.Lo seems like she took all of the criticism this week in a very personal way. Not sure she is used to being under a microscope that is somewhat out of her (or her husbands) control.

"James Durbin"
Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 09:23 PM
Heavy Metal

Give Metal a Chance, with arm bands and flyers.

"RE: James Durbin"
Posted by Estee on 04-13-11 at 09:26 PM
And two years after Adam nearly snuck Idol's Last Untouched Genre onto the stage, James bit through the bullet and went for it.

For performance, he didn't have mastery of the screams and arguably needed more musicians behind him to boost this into full metal. But for sheer guts, he ties for Casey for this week's If I Die, It'll Be On My Own Blade award.

He broke it through. If he survives this week, then others will follow.

Posted by whimsey on 04-13-11 at 09:26 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-13-11 AT 09:27 PM (EST)

Couldn't take my eyes off the guitar ... didn't that guy play the bagpipes last season? Just sayin.

Posted by Snidget on 04-13-11 at 09:27 PM
That Op Art Guitar is freaking me out. And why it is getting all the close ups and not James?

Am I the only one with bleeding ears?

J. That felt really real. I loved that. I don't know what these sound like at home, they are killing it dead. Who would have ever thought we would have heavy metal. It's America's Choice. {so don't ##### if we vote off your favorite, mkay?}

R. At a James Durbin Concert. Zach Wilde, unbelievable glad you stuck to your guns. Durbin Rocks x3 Oh and add Zach.

S. You just had to get it out. America asked for it.

Posted by BriarRosie on 04-13-11 at 09:29 PM
I'd vote for the guitar player if I could. James did fly out on a blaze of glory. He sang on his own terms and did it well.

Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 09:29 PM
Was this more about James or the guitarist? He definitely belongs in a metal band, screaming away. He's actually good at it. The judges almost sent him over the top, though... I was actually half afraid James would start spiraling out of control non-stop, but fortunately he checked it, barely. Thumbs up. This guy isn't going anywhere tomorrow night.

Posted by Max Headroom on 04-14-11 at 08:10 AM
I think James is the best perfomer of the final 8, but not the best singer. And I offer last night's performance as Exhibit A to back my conclusion.

"The Vote"
Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 09:33 PM
What people this week are voting for aren't the Idol contestants. They're voting for the genre of music they like. Consider...

Country
Gospel
Pop
Metal
Jazz
Bovine (the Hayley moo-ooo!)
Whatever it was Paul was doing

"RE: The Vote"
Posted by zazzy on 04-13-11 at 10:44 PM
LOL.

"Thanks, Snidget"
Posted by whimsey on 04-13-11 at 09:44 PM
Your notes are always spot on!

"RE: Thanks, Snidget"
Posted by cahaya on 04-13-11 at 09:50 PM
And quick with the beat, too!

Posted by zazzy on 04-13-11 at 10:51 PM
I missed Pia tonight.

Heavy metal isn't necessarily my cup of tea.

Posted by Bojackson999 on 04-14-11 at 04:04 AM
I miss Pia too! I wish they would bring her back. She went home way too soon. The girl should have made it to the end. I hope that Lauren wins now because she has an amazing voice and seems like such a sweet girl. She was my favorite Top 8 performance of the night. Unfortunately, Haley probably won't bring in the "girl" vote for this weeks performance. She has her ups and downs performing and tonight was a definite down. Jennifer sure doesn't want another girl to go home and made a big deal about it after Haley's performance...not a good sign for Haley. http://whosright.com/poll/american-idol-which-top-8-performance-was-your-favorite#