URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 3066
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Should Idol have an all-males season?"

Posted by Estee on 03-31-11 at 10:31 PM
If nothing else, it would save a lot of time. Potentially create elimination drama. Give the people what they seem to want. And besides, that's where they're going to wind up anyway...

I'd suggest an all-females season, but based on the current voting trends, no one would watch.

Haley could easily be next out. Pia following is a small shock, but possible. Lauren, gawds help us, may be the last girl standing.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Should Idol have an all-males season?"
Posted by Loree on 04-01-11 at 00:04 AM
Blame the judges. They saved Casey. They had no problem watching the females voted out. But when Casey was in jeopardy they saved him. Now his fans have been shocked into voting and the females are booted again.

Posted by zazzy on 04-01-11 at 10:49 AM
Agree. Judges/producers. Wouldn't be four girls in a row if the judges hadn't used the save and wouldn't be four girls in a row if the producers didn't give the save to the judges to be used.

Posted by Max Headroom on 04-01-11 at 08:10 AM
Male/female ratio aside, I watch AI with the same mindset that I use when watching TAR. Every TAR season comes with a small number of competitive teams which could win it all and a larger group of weaker teams. The only suspense in the early legs of the race is the elimination order of the weaker teams. And AI is the same way. Barring some huge surprises, of the final 9 there's no way that Jacob, Paul, Stefano, or Haley will win. Scotty McCreery is a longshot because he's a one-trick pony, so that leaves Lauren, Pia, Casey, and James as the true contenders. The only suspense is the order the non-contenders get voted out.

I suck at PTTE games, so I've probably just ensured a Paul win with my comments.

Posted by Tummy on 04-01-11 at 09:25 AM
But TAR doesn't have female teens and tweens voting for their favorite teams. If that were the case then most likely the female teams would go out first whether they were strong racers or not.

The only reason Casey was gone last week was because Jlo hasn't convince Young America that Retro-Werewolf is the new hawt thing.

Posted by zazzy on 04-01-11 at 10:46 AM
"...of the final 9 there's no way that Jacob, Paul, Stefano, or Haley will win."

Agree.

"Scotty McCreery is a longshot because he's a one-trick pony, so that leaves Lauren, Pia, Casey, and James as the true contenders. "

Scotty could win, because country/ southern voters are a strong block, however, I believe AI will throw in theme weeks that will slow down Scotty when necessary.

As for Casey, I completely disagree that he is a contender to win the whole thing. The winner of AI doesn't have so many lackluster performances in the top 12/13. Casey is like a more talented Andrew Garcia at this point. Popular in the pre- top 12/13 rounds and disappointing after that.

Posted by cahaya on 04-01-11 at 11:05 AM
As for Casey, I completely disagree that he is a contender to win the whole thing.

He was a favorite early on, but I think he strayed when he went without a musical instrument when he had the option. His best performances are when he's got a bass, guitar or some other instrument to go with his groove.

I've since changed a few pool picks where I had him as the winner. The quandry was who to replace him with. Who is the favorite now? I'm not sure there is one. While Pia, Jacob and Scotty are very good at what they do (and they are arguable among the best this season), their limited sytles/ranges will also limit their votes. I'm going with James for now because he's the only one who seems to be able to ignite the audience week-to-week with something unpredictable.

Posted by arkiegrl on 04-01-11 at 11:38 AM
so I've probably just ensured a Paul win with my comments

I can live with that.

Posted by Max Headroom on 04-01-11 at 01:46 PM
Same birthday, vastly different taste in music.

Posted by arkiegrl on 04-01-11 at 02:30 PM
Hey, it's not that I honestly think Paul can win, I just appreciate his quirkiness!

Posted by Loree on 04-01-11 at 07:19 PM
I think Scotty will definitely make the F3. I don't know if he will win though. He has the type of appeal that he probably has all the fans he is going to get right now. I don't think he will pick up any new fans as others get voted out. I think Lauren could win this year. She is young and versatile enough that she isn't as boring as Pia. She can get the country vote too.

Posted by cahaya on 04-01-11 at 10:49 AM
I'd suggest an all-females season, but based on the current voting trends, no one would watch.

Oh, they would if you change the voting format. Females wouldn't want to vote for another female, but it would give them sadistic pleasure to vote off another female. Just change the 'vote for' to 'vote off', and you're in business.

Posted by zazzy on 04-01-11 at 10:51 AM
Someone's voting for Pia and Lauren.

Posted by cahaya on 04-01-11 at 10:55 AM
True that, but it'd be interesting to see the percentage of voters and votes by gender (male/female voters, male/female votes) as well as the breakdown (male for male, female for female, male for female and female for male).

The conventional wisdom is that there are more female voters than male voters by a wide margin.

The conventional wisdom is that voters tend to vote for the opposite gender (call it the physical attraction factor).

Ergo, all other things equal, the most votes will go to the males.

Posted by zazzy on 04-01-11 at 11:44 AM
I think there's voting that's done by region for their region's favorite..like strong midwest support for David Cook and Danny Gokey. Strong Alabama support for Ruben and Taylor.

We'll see how that plays out this year.

Pia and James are from places that don't traditionally support an idol the way Lauren and Scotty's home state does. (are they both from NC or is Lauren from GA? Same idea, though.

Posted by Corvis on 04-01-11 at 05:31 PM
Thia and Naima agree.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42382429/ns/today-entertainment/

Posted by mindy23 on 04-04-11 at 11:41 AM
Crystal was a very strong contender all through last season. And I do believe she was voted for because she had that IT factor. BUT, in the end, Lee got the win-he was good, too, but not different in the way Crystal is-because, IMHO, more females vote in the competition.

I honestly think that for a woman to win AI, she has to be outstandingly pretty, pimped by the judges more than any of the contestants (like Simon with Carrie Underwood), have a younger range and presence (like Kelly and Jordon), and a genuine connection with the audience, (Fantasia).

With the men, looks seem to be the biggest factor, number ONE, and song choice and delivery number TWO. Was Beau Bice better than Carrie? Time has really told, BUT he was ill right after the competition, so he had a set-back. Simon pushed Carrie so hard, I didn't even feel like voting that season-I felt the votes were going to be swayed, but I DID vote for Beau, because I thought he had more originality. He wasn't JUST Country.

Was Blake better than Jordon? Haven't heard a thing about him since the season ended-but maybe you all know more about that than I do. Her dad was a semi-famous sports figure. Did THAT have anything to do with her winning? IMHO, that was a 'sucky' season, and it was more of a process of elimination vote.

Taylor Hicks over Katherine McFee? He's gone, and she has done a few more things, but not many. So, who knows?? I say it's pretty much a 50/50 thing. But as far as THIS season, it sure looks like the girls-all but Pia and Alaina-are going under like a frog in a crocodile's mouth...

Posted by Estee on 04-08-11 at 07:40 AM
So. Six for six next week with a chance to go for seven?

Posted by zombiebaby on 04-08-11 at 09:26 AM
I think the remaining girls should try learning some instruments or rearranging the songs to better suit them. That is probably what has hurt the female contestants the past few years.

I did not watch last year but didn't the female finalist play an instrument? I think it just adds more interest when they are up there doing something besides pagant hands.

Posted by emydi on 04-08-11 at 10:09 AM
yep Crystal Bowersox was a WGalWGuitar

she sold 30,000 records...better than Lee though

Posted by KeithFan on 04-08-11 at 09:43 AM
You might not get as big of audience will all female but they would be there. The producers just need to target different sponsors with all-male all-female seasons. The all female season would definitely work for the same reason I sometimes watch "The Bachelor" and never watch "The Bachelorette".

In fact I think it is a super idea. They could have 2 seasons per year instead of one and make them shorter. Cut out the never ending auditions. 1 week auditions, 1 week Hollywood/top whatever.

I think the Pia vote-off was because there are only so many voters for the "hot chick" voting block, leaving Haley, who will be safe now until 3 or 4.

Posted by Maroonclown on 04-08-11 at 12:47 PM
yes.

Posted by cahaya on 04-08-11 at 12:58 PM
And it starts in two more weeks.