URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID88
Thread Number: 306
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Listen up, Supernova"

Posted by CattyChat on 07-12-06 at 04:55 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-13-06 AT 09:02 AM (EST)

Last night's ep kind of pissed me off. I'm a fan of snarky comments by the "band" if they have some substance, but Tommy Lee, Gilby and Newsted really made my blood boil last night.

First of all, they have said they are not going to be metal/hard rock, but as Zayra said "You haven't TOLD me what your sound is." I actually applauded Zayra by snapping back at them, as I WANT to know what it is they are looking for and I'm sure the contestants would really like to know.

In my opinion, I really don't think they know what "sound" they're going for and I think they are looking to this show and the audience's voting to guide them a little.

So, my first bone of contention is that unlike INXS last year, there is no real constructive criticism given so far.

Sort of going hand-in-hand with that is the "song choice" B.S. If you don't want to hear a certain type of song, why are they getting it as a choice? These rockers get one song each for each week. THEY don't pick the songs for the week and they then have to "fight" it out over who sings what.

At least INXS looked at talent first and foremost over the particular song each week and if there was something lacking INXS gave helpful criticism as to what could make it better for next time.

My second point is GET A CLUE, Supernova!!!

I honestly get the feeling that Supernova is not taking this seriously. Tommy Lee just likes being on TV (just heard he's doing some movie thing, too) and the other 2 guys are probably just along for the ride. INXS had a real goal and still had passion to do what they do . . . Supernova? I don't think so.

Last night, about half way through the show I started thinking that whoever wins this gig will find that it is very short-lived. It will probably be good for their career, but I see a quick and very short tour after the show wraps and Supernova will break up. I don't think these 3 guys, especially Tommy, have music as their number 1 passion in life right now. INXS was all about finding the right fit for their band and that was their ONLY goal and passion. They weren't there for any other agenda. I see ulterior motives written all over Tommy Lee and the other 2.

I will still watch the rest of the season, because there is some serious talent in the bunch. Unfortunately, it seems Supernova doesn't value talent as much as "song choice," so I am worried that some great singers will be booted too early.

Luckily, since Supernova doesn't seem to take this thing too seriously, I'm not vested in this year's outcome like I was last year. I don't care who wins, I just hope some of my faves last close to the end so I can see and hear them a few more weeks.

In sum, my feelings of the current members of Supernova?

Tommy Lee -- Super DAW, the biggest whore of the 3.

Newsted -- DAW Runnerup, just doesn't want to admit he's not relevant anymore.

Gilby -- He's just horny and wants to get some and had nothing better to do.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Table of contents
  • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Wacko Jacko, 05:15 PM, 07-12-06
    • RE: Listen up, Supernova,CattyChat, 06:01 PM, 07-12-06
      • RE: Listen up, Supernova,cheesybread, 08:42 AM, 07-13-06
  • RE: Listen up, Supernova,SherpaDave, 09:46 PM, 07-12-06
    • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Reality_Tv_fan_90, 10:28 PM, 07-12-06
  • Solution,frisky, 11:55 PM, 07-12-06
    • RE: Solution,dreamerbeliever, 02:06 AM, 07-13-06
      • RE: Solution,cheesybread, 08:47 AM, 07-13-06
        • RE: Solution,Loree, 09:43 AM, 07-13-06
      • RE: Solution,CattyChat, 09:00 AM, 07-13-06
      • RE: Solution,nailbone, 09:59 AM, 07-13-06
        • RE: Solution,frisky, 00:50 AM, 07-18-06
  • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Loree, 07:57 AM, 07-13-06
    • RE: Listen up, Supernova,cheesybread, 08:53 AM, 07-13-06
      • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Glow, 11:25 PM, 07-13-06
        • RE: Lukas,Loree, 05:13 PM, 07-18-06
          • RE: Lukas,Glow, 06:43 PM, 07-18-06
    • RE: Listen up, Supernova,CattyChat, 08:56 AM, 07-13-06
      • RE: JD,Loree, 09:47 AM, 07-13-06
      • RE: Listen up, Supernova,weltek, 02:10 PM, 07-17-06
    • RE: Listen up, Supernova,CattyChat, 09:13 AM, 07-13-06
      • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Loree, 09:55 AM, 07-13-06
      • RE: Listen up, Supernova,nailbone, 10:03 AM, 07-13-06
        • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Magnolia_Rocker, 12:14 PM, 07-13-06
        • RE: Listen up, Supernova,geg6, 04:40 PM, 07-13-06
          • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Magnolia_Rocker, 09:19 AM, 07-18-06
            • here ya go,Glow, 09:25 AM, 07-18-06
              • RE: here ya go,Magnolia_Rocker, 09:28 AM, 07-18-06
          • RE: Listen up, Supernova,slickeronstate, 10:24 AM, 07-18-06
            • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Magnolia_Rocker, 10:34 AM, 07-18-06
      • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Glow, 11:32 PM, 07-13-06
  • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Savahnna, 12:37 PM, 07-13-06
    • RE: Listen up, Supernova,cheesybread, 01:11 PM, 07-13-06
      • RE: Listen up, Supernova,LittleFox, 01:38 PM, 07-13-06
  • RE: Listen up, Supernova,tamarama, 04:12 PM, 07-13-06
    • RE: Listen up, Supernova,nailbone, 04:27 PM, 07-13-06
      • RE: Listen up, Supernova,tamarama, 04:30 PM, 07-13-06
    • RE: Listen up, Supernova,cheesybread, 04:54 PM, 07-13-06
  • RE: Listen up, Supernova,weltek, 02:14 PM, 07-17-06
  • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Loree, 06:44 PM, 07-17-06
    • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Wacko Jacko, 09:14 AM, 07-18-06
    • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Loree, 05:23 PM, 07-18-06
  • RE: Listen up, Supernova,Savahnna, 11:47 AM, 07-26-06

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Listen up, Supernova"
Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-12-06 at 05:15 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-12-06 AT 05:16 PM (EST)

I agree with some of what you say. But the contestants should have some kinda idea what the bands played that these guys came from. They ragged on a couple of the choices....I agree with them ripping on matt. As for Zayra....GNR guys comments were a little harsh because I think her version of the song was hard but in a sexy way......I guess the contestants are supposed to just use the past history as a ruler.

I do agree with you about the lifespan of Supernova. This band will be second banana to Tommy Lee....the other two guys I am not sure. I mean soon as the show stops running motley Crue is slated to coheadline with Aerosmith. This badn will most likely last one cd and be done...because Tommy will always focus his main attention to the Crue. Both of the others have long since been out of GNR and Metallica. I think the winner of this show gets more than a position with SuperNova....they get the national publicity of being in a 'supergroup'. This may also you are right effect how serious these guys are about this band....since they are likely a shortterm thing.

I agree about the song selections. But I think other than Matt's Duran Duran choice they were talking more about how one's voice and personality fit a song. On top of that they expect some creativity on rearranging the songs.

My gripes are not the same as yours. I am disappointed many of the songs are the same as last years. Geez, two weeks...two weeks Nirvana....didn't we see enough of them last season. Also, Melissa Ethridge. My other beef is that some of the contestents never really stood a chance....whether it be their style/personailty or what. Guess Burnett said these are teh best 15 singers let them adapt or be gone. Or Burnett was trying to appeal to a more main stream audience....and some are throwaways....kinda like on Burnett's other series....on the Apprentice for example some contestents never stood a chance...they are there for ratings.

Posted by CattyChat on 07-12-06 at 06:01 PM
Yeah, I'm also disappointed that so many of the same songs from last year are back. I guess getting music approved and all that is a process, but since Rockstar INXS is still fresh in my mind and some of the repeat songs were done much better justice last season, it's more of a bone of contention with me. Probably to those who didn't watch last season, it's a non-issue.

I understand about the contestants should be aware of the GNR/Metallica/Motley catalogue, etc., but since these guys made a point that they are not going that way, this is a new band, new sound and all that, I think they need to start giving some insight as to what they are looking to be other than a "dirty rock-n-roll band." That's where the constructive criticism comes in.

I think it just comes across to me as so blatant that this whole thing is more of a "thing to do" to Lee/Newsted/Clarke, rather than a serious attempt at another decent run as a band. So, I just feel these contestants are getting the short end of the stick. I suppose for some getting a quick 15 minutes might be enough for them, but I'm sure many of them came into this thing hoping to see the kind of success that JD ended up with in being chosen for INXS and breathing new life into a band that really wanted another bite at the apple and took the whole process serious.

I am just irritated by these 3 dolts, who are just filling up the screen. I would have rather have seen this season be about the most talented front man for a band, audience votes every week and either audience votes or a music producer gets the final say. This way the winner could really have a chance for a great career. The listeners choose the sound/style they want and once the winner is chosen, the music producer does his magic in collaboration with the winner in producing the first album and putting together a band.

Just my opinion. At this point, I highly doubt I will be rushing for tickets to a Supernova concert and buying their first CD (as I did with INXS). But, I suppose it's still early yet. I'll have to see how things play out and if these 3 guys get their act together.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Posted by cheesybread on 07-13-06 at 08:42 AM
>Yeah, I'm also disappointed that so
>many of the same songs
>from last year are back.
> I guess getting music
>approved and all that is
>a process, but since Rockstar
>INXS is still fresh in
>my mind and some of
>the repeat songs were done
>much better justice last season,
>it's more of a bone
>of contention with me.
>Probably to those who didn't
>watch last season, it's a
>non-issue.
>

I find this dissapointing as well. Although many of the songs are great songs, the comparisons are inevitable. But one of the great things about this show last season was the amazing song choices (old, new, punk, classic, pop, metal, etc.) To some degree that still holds true, but for the most part it is the same songs. If this series runs longer (then this season) then I think this will be less of an issue. It would be interesting to see who picks the songs for each week though. I get the feeling it is not the band.

>I understand about the contestants should
>be aware of the GNR/Metallica/Motley
>catalogue, etc., but since these
>guys made a point that
>they are not going that
>way, this is a new
>band, new sound and all
>that, I think they need
>to start giving some insight
>as to what they are
>looking to be other than
>a "dirty rock-n-roll band."
>That's where the constructive criticism
>comes in.
>

Zayra missed a HUGE opportunity to settle this issue. GC asked here point blank (twice *blink*, *blink*) if she felt the combined back catalog of the three most famous bands for each band member was important. She didn't answer the question at all, because she was still defending her interpretation of the Kinks song. However, had she said something like, "Your previous bands' songs give an indication of the kind of music you have played and maybe some preference but the styles of all three of those bands where quite different so in some ways we are all still trying to figure out how those styles come together and make Supernova's sound." Thus putting the ball back in their court to really express what they are looking for.

As a side note, the week 1 reality show did have the rockers listening to a demo music track from Supernova. So must they do have some idea of the sound.

>I think it just comes across
>to me as so blatant
>that this whole thing is
>more of a "thing to
>do" to Lee/Newsted/Clarke, rather than
>a serious attempt at another
>decent run as a band.
> So, I just feel
>these contestants are getting the
>short end of the stick.
> I suppose for some
>getting a quick 15 minutes
>might be enough for them,
>but I'm sure many of
>them came into this thing
>hoping to see the kind
>of success that JD ended
>up with in being chosen
>for INXS and breathing new
>life into a band that
>really wanted another bite at
>the apple and took the
>whole process serious.
>

I agree. However, I am glad the show is still on. I will still watch and hope the band members also grow and learn as well as the contestants.

Posted by SherpaDave on 07-12-06 at 09:46 PM
I agree with a lot of what you say. I think Supernova will likely be a no-hit wonder.

Posted by Reality_Tv_fan_90 on 07-12-06 at 10:28 PM
I agree. Last year INXS gave the contestants constructive criticism but in a nice easy to understand way. Supernova just kind of seems to snap at the contestants. Actually tonight I found myself saying Tommy Lee is the only one of the three I COULD stand. Clarke is just an a**hole that seems to be here more for fun than to find a lead singer, and all Newsted seems to want to do is brag to the contestants that he is famous and they're not (yet). Also it seemed tonight (second elimination show) that Dave seemed in an extra bitchy mood.

"Solution"
Posted by frisky on 07-12-06 at 11:55 PM
Dump Supernova and have the winner front the house band. They're really good. And in the backstage clips, they appear to encourage and help the contestants, unlike Soop-whore-nova.

Rolly made this.
Desperate Housecats

"RE: Solution"
Posted by dreamerbeliever on 07-13-06 at 02:06 AM
LAST EDITED ON 07-13-06 AT 02:09 AM (EST)

Smartest idea I've seen yet, score one for the friskster!

Feel better to have gotten that off your chest catty?

This might send you even further into a tizzy catty but did anyone notice Jason, Gilby, and Tommy playing rock, paper, scissors right before the commercial break after Chris performed?

I really hope that the fate of Chris or the other 2 wasn't decided from a game of rock, paper, scissors. It would be the lowest sickest thing ever done on this show.

Oh and Tommy was clearly feeling NOOO pain yet again during the elimination show. Think rubbing your nose constentantly isn't some sort of a clue T-Lee?

Posted by cheesybread on 07-13-06 at 08:47 AM

Although, I wouldn't put it past them, I think this was just a goof. Playing for the camera's. I thought I had heard that INXS would take a very long time to decide even though it seemed like a short commercial break. Was anyone there to shed light on the length of time it took them to do this? Or is this Live-Live?

However, it still is a tad insulting to the contestants. This is their future, and to have potential opportunities for success reduced seemingly by a few has-been's game of rock-paper-scissors would be aggrivating.

Posted by Loree on 07-13-06 at 09:43 AM
>
> I
>thought I had heard that
>INXS would take a very
>long time to decide even
>though it seemed like a
>short commercial break.

Yes, at times INXS would go back stage for a long time to decide. Other times they never left their perch and seemed to know exactly who they wanted to go. It just depended on the week.

Posted by CattyChat on 07-13-06 at 09:00 AM
"This might send you even further into a tizzy catty but did anyone notice Jason, Gilby, and Tommy playing rock, paper, scissors right before the commercial break after Chris performed?"

I missed that particular tidbit, but that doesn't surprise me AT ALL. They spent more time talking during the performances than listening, IMO, and they just give the impression they could care less.

As I said above, I feel bad for the rockers as they are getting the short end of the stick. I like the fronting the house band idea. I only hope the winner has a good attorney when they sign the contract with the soon-to-be-defunct Supernova, so the winner can go out on their own before people forget who they are and just think of them as winning some reality show for some lame "Super" band.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Posted by nailbone on 07-13-06 at 09:59 AM
This might send you even further into a tizzy catty but did anyone notice Jason, Gilby, and Tommy playing rock, paper, scissors right before the commercial break after Chris performed?

I really hope that the fate of Chris or the other 2 wasn't decided from a game of rock, paper, scissors. It would be the lowest sickest thing ever done on this show.

I saw that and was LMAO!! You don't honestly think that's how they're gonna decide, right? That was just playing for the cameras when Brooke was saying "the band has already started their deliberations".

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster and OT Fantasy Football Champ! o-

Posted by frisky on 07-18-06 at 00:50 AM
I LMAO'ed when I saw that, because I thought they were playing for the cameras. But then Tommy said something that made me think they are using rock/paper/scissors to decide who is going to sound the death knell for the loser. It appears Tommy lost two weeks in a row.

Rolly made this.
Desperate Housecats

Posted by Loree on 07-13-06 at 07:57 AM
I love the House Band. They are the reason to watch/listen when the rocker on stage isn't very good.

But I am excited and happy about next week. The word is that JD will be on the show next week as a guest judge and he will probably perform too. So maybe he will at least have some helpful comments for the rockers. It will also be interesting seeing JD critique Lukas. Since Lukas (with much bravado) made several remarks to the Canadian media about himself being better than JD and that INXS was just the warm-up act for Supernova.

Posted by cheesybread on 07-13-06 at 08:53 AM

Lukas is trying to be JD in a lot of ways. Or at least this season's JD. I think he feels if he can keep the attention on himself he will continue to get votes (from Glow!?). ;)

But JD showed some definite vulnerablities from the beginning. He pissed people off and tried to play the reality game, but he seemed to be questioning himself the whole time. There was some intraspection, contemplation. Lukas is just all 'tude, IMHO.

Posted by Glow on 07-13-06 at 11:25 PM
I did vote. A lot. But! It's not just me! *stomp*

I didn't hear/see him saying he is better than JD. I would like to though. Link?

an arkie work of art

"RE: Lukas"
Posted by Loree on 07-18-06 at 05:13 PM
Here is one article just out about Lukas.

The Toronto Star - Ontario, Canada
Tue. Jul. 18, 2006

North York's surly rocker seeks glory

"I hear people calling me the next J.D. Fortune ... J.D. Fortune means nothing to me. He's not my brother. He's not in my family. He could be my friend, but he's not."

Lukas Rossi is holding court poolside at the appropriately opulent "Rock Star mansion" here in secluded Silverlake, wielding a lit cigarette to gesture for emphasis.

"I am myself. This is me. And if that's not good enough to win this thing ... see ya in another life. This is an audition, not a competition. All I can do is kill it my own way."

Rossi clearly means to distance himself from Fortune, the fellow Torontonian who emerged victorious at the end of last summer's Rock Star series to became the new lead singer of pop veterans INXS.

This season's prize is the coveted lead singer role with the newly minted all-star metal conglomerate, Supernova.

"If this were INXS, I wouldn't be here," Rossi sniffs. "I'd personally rather live in a shack and lie on my back than be here in the public eye and suck. I'm not here to be a TV star. I'm from the street, brother. This ain't no big to me."

Major attitude from a 29-year aspiring rock legend, who looks like a cross between Billy Idol, Prince and Pepe LePew, and whose 15-year professional resumé includes theme songs for cartoon shows and McDonald's commercials. He also fronted his own band, Clevage.

And that "street" he's from is in North York — where I gather he was pretty much constantly picked on at school. Which could explain some of this misplaced aggression.

Three weeks into the televised talent hunt — tonight's show airs at 9 p.m. on CBS and Global — Rossi has already started to stir things up among the rockers here at the mansion.

He has been particularly hard on the Montreal-born, Vancouver-based Jenny Galt.

"As far as I'm concerned," he flatly states, "there is only room for one Canadian here."

Galt, also 29, is a tad more gracious. "I don't feel any competitiveness with Lukas," the attractive blond insists. "But I think he does. I think he gets insecure about certain things, and then gets very reactionary. And then he has to deal with the repercussions of what he says.

"And so do I, apparently."

Truth be told, Rossi is probably right. Even Galt expects that in tomorrow night's elimination round, she may end up in the "bottom three" and be forced to sing for her survival.

The general consensus seems to be that the 13 survivors left will eventually be pared down to a one-on-one rock-off between Rossi and the show-stopping, South African-born flower child Goth chick, Dilana Robichaux. She's a tiny, barefoot, multiply-pierced powerhouse, equal parts Janis Joplin, Marianne Faithfull and Bjork.

"RE: Lukas"
Posted by Glow on 07-18-06 at 06:43 PM
oh. Are we posting articles? Here are some Lukas-related snippets with links, of course, to the full articles.

From Leader Post

Rossi decompresses with Lee after his third sensational performance in as many weeks. The would-be Rock Star from Toronto and the bad boy drummer from Motley Crue embrace at poolside and Rossi looks visibly mellower than hours earlier, when he took on a Stones classic and did it proud. According to Navarro: "That was absolutely awesome, dude."
A week earlier, Navarro had called him arrogant. "I was wrong," Navarro said simply.
"I can only be who I am, man," a relaxed Rossi says later by The Paramour pool. "Every musician grows. But honestly, again, at the end of the day I'm going to be who I am. I may grow. If people notice that grow, that's awesome."
Rossi exudes a quiet confidence -- "I'm comfortable in my own skin," he says -- and he has already envisioned himself playing in front of the band. "I'm not going to lie to you. Of course I have. I wouldn't be here otherwise."

(snip)

Rossi says there are some strong singers, but he isn't paying much mind to matters he can't control.
"Some of these people move me with their songs, and that's cool to see. I didn't come here to worry about other people, though, to be honest. I've made some great friendships that will last the rest of my life. That, to me, is amazing. But, we have to remember why we're here. We're auditioning for a band. A great band. Let's not forget that. And that's what I try to impose on other people. I think some people get too enthralled by the surroundings."
For Rossi, though, these are early days yet, but one fact is irrefutably clear: This is his and Dilana's Rock Star to lose.
"I'm honoured to be here, man. I'm just going to do my best, and we'll see how the cards fall."

---
From
The globeandmail

"This is all bells and whistles, baby," he said, gesturing somewhere in the direction of the swimming pool. "All the grandeur of this doesn't really make sense to me. I'd be just as happy in a sleeping bag, living on the street, just as long as I can wake up and get on-stage in front of people, who really appreciate what I'm doing. . . . It's rock and roll, that's the bottom line, baby."

We may have a winner.

----
From
Canoe - Jam television

As for his own hair, Rossi says he’s been sporting the black and white skunk ‘do for about four months. Did he dye it for the show? “I don’t do anything for anything,” he says. “Nobody does my makeup, nobody does my hair. The purple suit and the Pepe LePew is just me, baby.”

He bristled at the suggestion that he’d stolen a page from J.D. Fortune’s aggressive playbook. “Incorrect,” he said. “I’m Lukas, not J.D. I’m comfortable in my own skin.”

Rossi’s rock star stance has rubbed many of his fellow contestants the wrong way. Several said they didn’t trust him. Too bad for them, he says. He’s not trying to make friends, he’s just trying to nail down a pretty cool job.

He’s been burned by friendships in the past and says he’s been striving his whole life to do things others told him he couldn’t do. “Music has been my best friend my whole life,” he says, “because music doesn’t betray you.”

You know. Instead of always focusing on the negatively toned articles.

Posted by CattyChat on 07-13-06 at 08:56 AM
Loree, you made my day and week with the news about JD. I sure hope you're right (though you are the queen of scoop ).

I just hope T-Lee and the other 2 don't try to overshadow JD. JD is the bomb!!! I think I'll pull out the DVD and watch some clips from last season . . . like JD's birthday

Kind Creation of ARNutz

"RE: JD"
Posted by Loree on 07-13-06 at 09:47 AM
Well I hope things don't change between now and Sunday's taping. People that showed up for the last taping said it was announced that "special guest Slash" would be there. But he wasn't. So we just have to cross our fingers that JD will be there as announced.

Posted by weltek on 07-17-06 at 02:10 PM
don't wear out your pause button.

Posted by CattyChat on 07-13-06 at 09:13 AM
"Since Lukas (with much bravado) made several remarks to the Canadian media about himself being better than JD and that INXS was just the warm-up act for Supernova."

Before I rip into Lukas, I do feel he is a front runner for this band. And I'm sorry, Glowie, but I just don't get the appeal, but that's just me.

Anyway, confidence & cockiness on a rocker is a good thing . . . HOWEVER there should also be a sensitive side that shows up from time to time. This is where Lukas is lacking.

First, I feel bad if he thinks INXS and JD are just a warmup, because INXS w/JD will be around for a long time, unlike Supernova and whoever wins this year. Poor Lukas is delusional.

Secondly, I agree with others in that Lukas is just being a jerk most of the time. JD wasn't an a-hole at heart and while he had his eye on the prize the entire time, JD wasn't intentionally trying to piss people off and make enemies, it just happened that way (mostly due to jealousy because he was major competition). I also get the feeling Lukas is trying too hard to be a jerk and be the JD he thinks he's so much better than.

Since it's still early in the game, I'm not writing off Lukas yet. He's not my taste in the looks/music department, but I can't deny he has serious rocker charisma and he's one of the better rockers this season for this gig.

So far to front THIS band (of whom I have no real interest in at this moment) I see Dilana, Storm & Lukas and the 3 to beat.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Posted by Loree on 07-13-06 at 09:55 AM
Last season the rockers had no idea how they were portrayed on the TV show. They were partway through the season before they started seeing clips of the reality show during their elimination night. That was when JD realized he was being portrayed as the troublemaker. But this season they have shown the rockers right from the beginning some of their clips from the mansion. So they may get wiser about what they say and do. They know now that it is shown and they may have to answer for it right in front of the crowd.

I hear Lukas has always been very confident about his talent and always acts this way. So it might not be an act. And the media was really trying to get him to say things about JD because of the comparisons between them. They are both from under a bridge in Toronto *snicker*. And they have both recorded on Beyblade and shared management companies. So Lukas has to talk big not to get lost in JD's shadow.

Posted by nailbone on 07-13-06 at 10:03 AM
And I'm sorry, Glowie, but I just don't get the appeal, but that's just me.

Nope, it's not just you. I was watching Chris perform last night thinking that he looks more like who I would think would front a band like this, with chicks hanging all over him, than someone that looks like Lukas. But then again, someone that I kinda compare Chris to, looks-wise, is Scott Stapp. And I know he's not looked on favorably around here. But Chris also resembles Ace Young, and I know there were those here that liked him a lot.

Posted by Magnolia_Rocker on 07-13-06 at 12:14 PM
OMG! I've said that both weeks now to DH. It's freaky to me his resemblence to Stapp.

Summer siggy thanks to Syren!

Posted by geg6 on 07-13-06 at 04:40 PM
Chris? What??????

Toby is the hottie here. I wouldn't give any of the rest of them the time of day. Including Tommy, Jason, and Gilby. Of course, Dave always is a babe. The problem for me might be that Scott Stapp thing with Chris. I never noticed it until now. And there are few people on earth who repel me as much as Scott Stapp.

Goddess of the Steeler Nation

Posted by Magnolia_Rocker on 07-18-06 at 09:19 AM
I'm totally with ya on the Toby thing. I definitely wouldn't turn him away.

A Tribe Original!

"here ya go"
Posted by Glow on 07-18-06 at 09:25 AM

Unfortunately for me though, I think this is about as much as I'm going to see of Lukas near the pool.

an arkie work of art

"RE: here ya go"
Posted by Magnolia_Rocker on 07-18-06 at 09:28 AM
Oh my. *fans self* Thanks for that bit of eye candy on this Tuesday morn! *hugs Glowie*

A Tribe Original!

Posted by slickeronstate on 07-18-06 at 10:24 AM
Who is Scott Stapp?

Posted by Magnolia_Rocker on 07-18-06 at 10:34 AM
A lot of people wish they could ask that. *snicker*

A Tribe Original!

He is/was the lead singer for Creed.

Posted by Glow on 07-13-06 at 11:32 PM
LAST EDITED ON 07-13-06 AT 11:36 PM (EST)

"And I'm sorry, Glowie, but I just don't get the appeal, but that's just me."

It's okay, babe. It's not just you. *looks around at all the haters* But I do honestly believe it has mostly to do with editing. I'm not saying I believe he's not cocky. I'm saying I believe he's not always a jerk.

As an example (and as a way to post a picture of Lukas), after they showed the house stuff of him asking about bottom three, this is what happened:

Lots of laughing and patting on the back. (maybe only from Storm, Dilana and Patrice, but still)

an arkie work of art

Posted by Savahnna on 07-13-06 at 12:37 PM
YES. On all accounts.

What a waste of great airtime on these guys. The show has the potential to be one of the best Reality shows ever IMO....and it seemes to be wasted on three freak shows this year. I too am dissapointed

Posted by cheesybread on 07-13-06 at 01:11 PM
What a waste of great airtime on these guys. The show has the potential to be one of the best Reality shows ever IMO....and it seemes to be wasted on three freak shows this year. I too am dissapointed

I agree, although it didn't seem like any *real* bands would come on to do what INXS did. Why not I wonder? AIC, VH, Sublime, and many others were mentioned as possibilities. In fact many would have been a great fit for this show. Was it a case of being too cool for the show? Not believing in the process? Or were they all just too scared? I wish I knew.

I still hope for a great success for this show, even with this band. Because if it flops this time, there may not be a third season. That would be an even bigger disapointment.

Posted by LittleFox on 07-13-06 at 01:38 PM
I also agree. They seem to contradict themselves a lot too.
I like watching people sing, that is why I watch the show - but as far as the band Supernova goes.........they'll probably bomb.

Posted by tamarama on 07-13-06 at 04:12 PM
Huh. I seem to be a minority of *1* here.

I agree with several of your points, but I do think a good portion of the band's comments are valuable. Certainly more clear and constructive than anything we hear on AI. I can't remember alot of them specificlly -- I'll take better notes next week -- but many of them did make sense to me.

First off, I don't think it's out-of-line for them to expect the contestants to view their previous bands as a reference-point in Supernova's style. "Dirty Rock Band" actually gives me a fairly clear picture. I thought Zayra made an arse of herself with her childish & defensive responses to them. It looked to me like she was very deliberately trying to 'cop a rocker attitude' both then, and last night when they asked if she was surprised to be in the bottom 3. I didn't believe her "cockiness" for a moment. (I also think she sang the same song because she has zero in her repertoire, but that's a different thread.)

Dave, Gilby & Jason in particular give usable critiques. I get the impression that Tommy has deliberately chosen the role of DAW Clown-Pig. I WISH I could remember the comment, but (I think week 1, not this week) at one point, Tommy made a really interesting comment that made me think "oops, his clown-face slipped" and it reminded me that even though he's probably the biggest DAW in the known universe, he's still an experienced, established musician (and clearly a savvy business man as well, hence the "established" part).

Dave was 100% right to call Jill on her Courtney impersonation (I only wish he had also done it last week with her Janis impersonation). She went beyond stupid when she lied about it. And the 'authenticity' he was trying to explain to Chris is a difficult concept to get across in 10 seconds - it's like the It Factor that people talk about...but I do think that someone in the biz (Chris) should be able to understand what he meant.

Jason's advice to Phil about taking a firm stance reminded me of some of the very first, and most valuable, acting advice I ever got. I liked it, and I think Phil needed to hear it.

Lukas absolutely needs advice about the way he screams & growls. It's never the healthiest thing to do, but there are ways to do it that are less damaging. I particularly liked Jason's comparison to his guitar strings -- it's true, you can't replace the tiny little muscles in your throat. Lukas was a snot with his comments about having sung the same way for 15 yrs. He's only 29! 15 years ago he was only 14 years old. I don't care who you are, you do not sing the same way you did when you were 14. Your voice isn't even physiologically the same as it was when you were 14. So he has NOT been singing this way for 15 years. Then Jason made the very points I was thinking -- how frequently does Lukas sing? For how long does he sing? Probably not as frequently OR as long as someone on a major tour. To me it was (yet another) very bad sign that Lukas is too cocky to allow himself to learn anything.

Regarding song choice, I agree - some of the songs they have to choose from are questionable (Tainted Love?). And I wish there were fewer (or no) repeats from last year.

But I think that the band's comments to some about their song choices were more about whether or not the song was right for the singer - not for the competition. And maybe they're throwing in things like Tainted Love & Ring of Fire specifically to see what these folks do with them. Remember last year when INXS assigned a Britney Spears song to Marty? That was cool.

While practically everything Tommy does is likely designed to get attention (making his intentions here suspicious), I haven't seen anything from Gilby & Jason to make me think that they're being unusually DAW-ish. Or any more DAW-ish than you need to be to do a reality show. The two of them are only known for their music -- so I'm going to assume their intentions are as up-front as INXS's were last year. I don't get the impression that they just want to be on tv.

I am bothered that they kept Zayra & booted Chris. I have no clue. I was stunned. I can only assume the conversation went like this: "None of these 3 are going to make it all the way, so it doesn't matter who we boot tonight. Zayra will probably make a fool of herself again next week, and that's good TV, so let's boot Chris." That disappoints me.

Posted by nailbone on 07-13-06 at 04:27 PM
(I also think she sang the same song because she has zero in her repertoire, but that's a different thread.)

She's got a pretty good repertoire, and is great in concert, from what I've read. Problem is, it's not a "rock" repertoire, but more (as the Dallas Morning news puts it) quirky-pop, like Avril Lavigne or Nelly Furtado, with Latin influences.

Posted by tamarama on 07-13-06 at 04:30 PM
OK -- that makes sense.

Posted by cheesybread on 07-13-06 at 04:54 PM
Lukas absolutely needs advice about the way he screams & growls.

Tam, you go on to make many valid points. I don't know why Lukas was put off. One need look no farther then James and Axl for comparison. One, according to Jason, takes care of his voice and continues to be a successful singer performing much the same way. And has actually developed a nicer singing voice later in his career (IMHO). The other did not take care of his voice and cannot event attempt the songs he used to perform anymore. I've heard a couple of live recordings of Axl's latest attempt to revive G'n'R and he sounds horrible.

I think as the show goes on we will see both the rockers and the band grow more comfortable with the give-and-take.

Posted by weltek on 07-17-06 at 02:14 PM
I disagree with the constructive criticism, in part. I think Jason Newstead is trying to give constructive criticism. Tommy is just trying to be obnoxious and Gilby just seems along for the ride.

I completely, 100% agree with your asessment that Supernova will be a quick side project for each of these guys and they aren't taking it seriously. I think all the contestants would be better off saying, "screw you guys, I'm going home."

I want to keep watching for the talent, not the future prospects of the band.

Posted by Loree on 07-17-06 at 06:44 PM
Things are getting suspicious around MBProductions. Is this season turning into a train wreck?

Butch Walker has announced on a radio interview that he will not be appearing on RockStar again unless contractually obligated. He was so angry about how his opinions were edited on the show that he doesn't want anymore to do with the show and has moved on to his next project.

Then we have guest stars not appearing. Last week the tickets for the taping stated Slash as a guest judge. No Slash. This week the tickets stated JD would be appearing on the show. He was not at the taping either. And now an announcement has been made that there will be no guest appearances in the near future. Just Tommy Lee, Gilbey and Jason as the judges. Hmmm? What about all these celebrity friends that Dave talked about on the show this season like Moby, Slash, etc.? Either Tommy Lee and company don't want to share the spotlight or everyone has heard about Butch Walker's experience and they are running in the opposite direction.

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 07-18-06 at 09:14 AM
I don't understand all the criticism of the three guys from SuperNova. In my opinion the guys are much more personable then the guys from INXS. INXS came across as snobby. The guys in SuperNova seem to be interacting with the audience and at least smile once in a while.

These people are rock stars, they act like most rock stars do. They say 'Dude' and 'That rocks!' and stuff like that. Really if you expected more than you haven't been a fan of this type of rock to begin with....which is fine but understand a little about these guys make up. If they were say Run DMC looking for a new singer they would talk like Rappers and act like it. These guys are again talking how people in this industry do. Again, While I was a bigger fan of INXS than SuperNova, these guys to me are much more enjoyable to watch than INXS.

Posted by Loree on 07-18-06 at 05:23 PM
According to this article JD was at the after party back at the RockStar mansion. Even though he did not appear on the stage at the show.

http://torontosun.com/Entertainment/Television/2006/07/18/1690020-sun.html

Posted by Savahnna on 07-26-06 at 11:47 AM
THought I'd bump this one up again. V appropriate for my take on the show last night.

I'm bored.....so I'm sure I'll keep watching it..

I do enjoy coming here to discuss though!!