URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 3056
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"AI 10 Top 11 Performance ECST"

Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 07:45 PM
Please keep all discussion of tonight's Motown episode on this thread until the West Coast has had a chance to unravel their brains from the knots of trying to figure out the logic of the mentor for the week. (assuming the tweets are correct).

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"Preemptive episode summary."
Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 07:52 PM
Well, this is gonna svck.

"RE: Preemptive episode summary."
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 07:55 PM
Why should this week be any different than any other week on idol?

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 07:58 PM
To honor the approach of Passover, you're going to need three more questions.

Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:13 PM
Why is Ryan so Orange?
How much do you miss Pauler?
How to we stop Randy from saying Pitchy?

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:43 PM
Why is Ryan so Orange?

Ever left a boneless ham on the counter for three days?

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 08:53 PM
For the first time I've had the thought that Ryan is the Star of American Idol. The jidges come down to the stage, they introduce, then Ryan comes down in all his glory, under god-light, alone and the master of his domain. Who the hell is running this show?

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:55 PM
I will be taking revenge on you for making me picture 'Ryan' and 'master of his domain' in conjunction for the rest of the night week month year incarnation.

Possibly beyond.

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 09:02 PM
It's my Seinfeld obsession. Sue me.

Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 09:05 PM
That. is in his contract (betcha).

BTW, one thing I do not miss is the Ryan-Simon stupid banter that we were subjected to every show where Simon acted boorish and would put down Ryan. It's nice to have them acting more adult this year.

(and then Ryan goes and does the thing with the food with the mean restaurant guy. Sigh. guess he can't stop finding something boorish to do on AI.)

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:13 PM
Remember his not-so-long-ago Dunkleman joke? The man uses a mirror, but his eyes don't catch the reflection.

Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 09:19 PM
No, what was it?

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:22 PM
Basically made fun of his former partner's hard times while totally ignoring how totally lucky his own talentless self had been.

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 09:40 PM
Does no-one remember the Dunkleman? Oh for shame.

Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 10:57 PM
I remember Brian...he later surfsced on Celebrity weight loss or some show like that.

"Intro"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:00 PM
In black and white. This is the party, American Idol.

Sure it is Ryan, sure.it.is.

"Black & white opening."
Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:01 PM
So at least Lauren's happy.

"This week important decision"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:02 PM
Who makes it into the top 10 and thus onto the tour. Video montage of Motown history.

"Sign in the audience."
Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:02 PM
Steven Tyler
You're My Mother's Hall Pass!

Eeeuuuww!

"Talking to the judges"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:07 PM
It was fearless, brought people together, inspirational says Randy (he is old says Ryan)

J wants to see so many great songs to pick from, but make it their own, see them as an artist.

S's fan club in the house. He says Motown as big as the British Invasion and made him want to make out (and Liv is in the audience so maybe more than a few kisses)

Top 11 comes in.

"Casey Abrams"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:08 PM
Heard it Through the Grapevine.

"RE: Casey Abrams"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:12 PM
Back up singers on stage. Walking on the floor behind the judges stand, and interacting with the audience. Fiddle players on the behind the judges stage area.

I think he did have more control of the growling raspy thing this week.

S. Right there Casey. Perfect entertainer, crazy ##### out of control ego and perfect pitch.

J. You are so specific who you are. Is there any body like you, I don't think so, you could be the guy right now.

R. You are definitely a true original, you take chances, what is so perfect about you is you can only do you and that you is great.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:15 PM
Right now, the most logical explanation for that group tongue bath is a set of spring-loaded poisoned needles hidden in the seats. Either that or we just learned the world of Orwell has its own reality shows. 'That was NewGood!'

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 08:28 PM
Well, the audience sure lapped it up.

It kind of makes me wonder if the sound there is that much different than what comes out of the TV.

Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 10:59 PM
Agree.

Posted by Corvis on 03-24-11 at 00:03 AM
Wait, in post 14 you liked it. And now you don't? What happened?

Posted by cahaya on 03-24-11 at 03:16 AM
Who said I didn't like it? Post 14 still stands. My reply was to Estee's post about the group tongue-bath, with my observation that the audience liked it as much as the judges did (and as I did).

And what happened to your comment about Casey? No comment?

Posted by Corvis on 03-26-11 at 11:37 AM
I guess I misunderstood your comment.

I thought Casey's performance was decent. Sure thought it was good enough to get enough votes to make it through this week. That was a shocker. But then going first can screw a contestant.

"This is what I heard."
Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:13 PM
i'm just about to lose it
just about to lose it
just about to lose it

And then he did.

Simultaneously growly and screechy. How is that even possible? Why was he holding certain syllables? Was he about to call Ryan a girl before going on a rant against Hugh Jackman? And in the name of all that's illegal in California, what are the judges on?

Do I want to vote for Casey? I do not want to vote for Casey. I just got to see Bruno's crazy bear in the woods for the second time. And it couldn't sing. Or growl. But my, could it ever maul that poor song to death...

...maybe I should just take the rest of the night off.

"RE: This is what I heard."
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:14 PM
don't leave me alone in here.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 08:16 PM
Psst, you've got company. I'm sure some of the others will arrive shortly!

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 08:55 PM
Shhhhh, I'm here honey

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 08:57 PM
(whispered) Ah...

Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:12 PM
thanks y'all!

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:16 PM
You're never truly alone as long as you have Lauren's hate with you.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 08:14 PM
Solid, energizing performance by Casey with a song that will expose any pretenders. I wondered at first if he was going to open up, and then he opens up and cruises the walks. Great control on the voice, too. I liked it, although I still like the CCR version best.

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 08:56 PM
I really liked that. Honestly. It was fun.

Posted by jbug on 03-24-11 at 11:20 AM
Did anyone else not think 'teenage werewolf' when you first saw him with that hair slicked back?
Is that why Ryan called him the 'beast'?

"Thia Megia"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:17 PM
Heatwave. To show off her uptempo side.

"RE: Thia Megia"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:21 PM
The costume department's love affair with the strapless is still goin on.

Has a couple of back up singers on stage.

Will this song never end? Just didn't quite do it for me.

J. Scratching the surface, great to see you let loose. Now I need you to dig deeper each week. Part of performing is acting, connect with the lyrics and bring even more.

R. We knew you had it in you. Good thing, been tough on you. about taking chances. You can dig deeper, you can really sing, see you move up a notch, congrats on that. push push push.

S. Taken a step out, I'm good with it.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:22 PM
Will this song never end?

I wish I'd timed that -- it sure didn't feel like the usual ninety seconds.

Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 08:30 PM
Steven really didn't have anything to say to her but remembered he was supposed to have something to say. Maybe he is the one who least likes the agenda part of the show?

Randy...AI had to keep Randy because he knows the score and knows how to say the agenda.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:21 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-24-11 AT 03:31 PM (EST)

ha-ha-hahaha...
wipeout!

She didn't bring enough power to it and seemed to spend more time focusing on the strut than the notes. It's still an improvement over last week, but it didn't come close to approaching what she needed to master that song.

Oh, and insta-poll: raise your hand if you think Wardrobe was going for the 'little girl caught playing dress-up in Mommy's closet' look.

Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 08:27 PM
Vocal good but not enough pizazz... So I agree with you about the power part.

And the dress...really did not care for the dress. Tried to imagine her at 19 and wondered if it would bother me as much if she were. Still did not like the dress. It seemed to say, remember, she's only 16....

Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 08:22 PM
She's talented and cute and the song was nice..but the whole thing just screams Disney to me....

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 08:27 PM
She's been that way since the auditions and by now we know that at least that Disney-esque part of her is with her to stay. Part of it probably has to do with her age and shyness and the perception of naive innocence she projects.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 08:24 PM
Oooo, oooo, oooo! Well, about time Thia came up with something a little more upbeat and lively after some of the previous snooooze fests of weeks past. While not extraordinary, her voice was pleasing to listen to along with the fast beat. Thumbs up, and hope she mixes it up even more in coming weeks.

Posted by niteowl0205 on 03-23-11 at 08:39 PM
I listened to her audition of 'Chasing Pavements'.. She was good!
What happened to her voice. Maybe it's all song choice issues.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 08:45 PM
Definitely song choice and arrangement issues. She has the voice to go with just about any of them, short of the more raspy songs.

"Atmospheric commentary."
Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:24 PM
Just got a one-word text: Thundersleet?!? And thirty seconds later, the flash hit.

It was only a 3,000 mile miss. Easy mistake to make.

"RE: Atmospheric commentary."
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:26 PM
Thundersleet?

Two words that should never be that close together.

Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 08:28 PM
Nice....thundersnow is cool too....man, this has been a long winter...

Posted by vince3 on 03-23-11 at 09:41 PM
I had thunderhail earlier today in three different waves... and I think it got worse with each wave...

Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 10:17 PM
I'm getting Thunder right now, but hopefully just Thunder and rain, not something exotic.

"Jacob Lusk"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:28 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-23-11 AT 08:28 PM (EST)

You're All I Need to get by.

"RE: Jacob Lusk"
Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 08:29 PM
great song...please don't over sing it...

Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 08:32 PM
Now THAT was awesome...reigned it in a bit, a perfect song for him...so great and a hug from Steven...a good night for Jacob indeed...

Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 08:35 PM
Yes...I got delayed goose bumps. I kept waiting for him to ruin it but he held it down. Good job, Jacob!

(he did a little scream at the end, but ok, it was after the song)

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 08:42 PM
Now, he? I can easily picture in an old Motown video. He'd fit right in.

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 08:57 PM
Of course he could, sweets, in a long, white, sequined dress and false eyelashes

Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:33 PM
Looks like everyone is getting back up singers on stage. Electric Bass? player on stage.

A wig is all you need especially when you slip and nearly put your hands on your hips. Wow, that was a perfect drag face with the lips there for a second.

Steven goes up on stage to hug him??? Paula was never that high.

R. Great Barry Gordy is saying OMG. Best performance, you took your time, like a true professional, what was wrong with that...absolutely nothing.

S. Held it back, milked it.

J. you made us beg for those notes. You moved me, you moved us. Took your time and made us beg.

IT is a Bass player, gets props from the judges.

Nana wants a hug as well.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:34 PM
'You see, Jacob, some of those early Motown singers were just like you. None of them were ever going to admit their sexual orientation in public either.' (Go ahead. Watch that performance and tell me he's straight. The flag was flying and it was bordered in lavender.)

As long as I didn't watch his expressions, it was a good performance: the contortions he was bringing out are usually reserved for the tenth hour of labor. That final gory note took something away from the overall effect -- but in total, his best effort to date. And possibly the most blatant cover blowing of the year.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 08:35 PM
Whoah, whoah, whoah. Man, what a voice, especially those high notes right in harmony with the ladies. Superbly smooth performance where he didn't let himself get carried away (except with those several mouth contortions!). Close your eyes, though, and get blown away. Not sure I agree with Randy it's the best all-time ever or whatever he said it was, but it was indeed a fine performance by Jacob, his best to date.

"Ryan loses complete control of the show"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:34 PM
Invites the front row to come up and hug Jacob.

"RE: Ryan loses complete control of the show"
Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:35 PM
Ryan has just lost what he's never had. So the next logical step is 'his mind'.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 08:43 PM
Oh, heck, he's never had control. The only one with more strings pulling him around is Paul.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:44 PM
I still say Paul operates on gears. Put him in the wrong starting position and he'll make a furious cup of cat.

"Lauren Alaina"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:35 PM
Did Ryan say Southern Belle Whoren?

Lauren says this is about her struggle with what people are saying about her.

You keep me hanging on.

"RE: Lauren Alaina"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:38 PM
Flirts with Randy, guess she doesn't like Steven anymore.

Gosh I really want to hear Jacob sing this, especially that last run at the end.

S. You ripped that song a beauty mark. You don't listen to anyone about anything. Just beautiful.

J. You look amazing, you look great. You threw your head and neck, so much attitude. Brought it to life. good job.

R. Saw this young girl, last week that girl returned, and she has her swagger on high, she's ready.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:38 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-23-11 AT 08:39 PM (EST)

Did Ryan say Southern Belle Whoren?

We can omly hope.

Lauren says this is about her struggle with what people are saying about her.

In that case...

get off the stage why don't you fraud
get off the show why don't you beyotch
'cause you don't really love anyone
you just push your hatred on

...the struggle continues.

No. Sale.

Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 08:40 PM
I liked this better than last weeks performance, but I'm still waiting for her to to belt it out like she did at auditions...she did look cute though, she's an adorable girl...

Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 08:51 PM
Watching Lauren helped me figure out the difference between Thia and Lauren who are near in age.

Thia is like an Olympic ice skater who can do all the perfunctory moves perfectly but does not sell the free style.

Lauren, on the other hand, can sell the free style. Attitude, confidence, what have you, she can sell the song better than Thia can.

Liked the dress for her.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 09:05 PM
Good analogy, I think. Thia is spot on with the mandatory technical routines, but she still hasn't learn to fly in freestyle with its artistic merits.

Posted by Corvis on 03-24-11 at 00:06 AM
You hit it with that analogy. Very true.

Posted by niteowl0205 on 03-23-11 at 08:44 PM
Why do y'all hate her so much? Because the producers pimped her early? I think she did a great job with that song.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:49 PM
Multiple sourced reports of her giving the gay contestants the homophobia/deity-sanctioned hatred treatment during Hollywood week. As far as a lot of people are concerned, she's just another bigot hiding behind a cross.

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 08:59 PM
Amen sistah friend

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 08:40 PM
A good performance by Lauren, I suppose, about what I expected and not really anything beyond that. Didn't really get the Motown feel out of her performance as it came across more as a pop song. Thumbs up, but a middle-of-the-road performance compared with her other songs.

"Stefano Langone"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:44 PM
Ramsey in the house. Stefano got a coke interview.

His Mom came by and cooked for the house. Ryan got the leftovers, and the garlic nearly kills him...hmmmmm....

Hello, Lionel Richie (he has never heard it before? I'm old...so very old).

"RE: Stefano Langone"
Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 08:47 PM
um..

Posted by niteowl0205 on 03-23-11 at 08:47 PM
Cheese. Ball.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:48 PM
is it me you're looking for?

No. No, it is not.

tell me how to win your heart

Never gonna happen.

'cause I haven't got a clue

Yeah, I kind of figured that out on my own.

Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:49 PM
Piano on stage, and is that guy playing a cello like a guitar, or is it just a really big electric bass or something.

Is it possible for Stefano to say hello to the key? Because it would be nice if they met.

J. Let's talk a little bit. you have fine, sing like crazy. open your eyes and connect. You are telling someone a story, intensity from heart breaking, not wanting to do well. Then you will fly out of the building, make the connection.

R. Only thing missing is the connection. J say sounded beautiful. Huh? What? No real emotion.

S. Wrapped up too soon, pull back a little bit. J talks over him to. Will.Not.Shut.Up.

Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 08:51 PM
He sounded like he was gargling through that....and can we please get a ruling on blue eyeshadow? As in, banishment?

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 08:50 PM
Snidge, you're not old, he's just dense. I was surprised "Hello" was considered Motown. My DH hates Lionel and he knows "Hello"

But I think J.Lo was asking him to do the video - to use his eyes to connect - which is somewhat ironic considering in the video the love interest was BLIND!!!

Just sayin'

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 08:53 PM
What's a video?

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 09:05 PM
ACK! Stop testing me!!!!!

Posted by vince3 on 03-23-11 at 09:46 PM
*pat pat* I remember seeing that on MTV when they actually played videos...

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 08:50 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-23-11 AT 08:55 PM (EST)

Hmm, ahh, erm. (*picture a doctor or dentist saying that*) It seems like Stafano was singing to the audience and the viewer than with us. Looks like he's trying too hard, really. Ok vocally, but it took just as much energy to watch him as he did in singing it.

And I forgot to add... Notown Motown soun', nuh uh.

Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 08:58 PM
Who assigned him this song? Certainly he would never chose a song on his own that he never had heard before. There was a disconnect with that selection, especially after he said he grew up listening to his parents playing Motown music.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 09:06 PM
He should have picked a song he heard over and over in his household and gone right into it.

Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 09:24 PM
My point is I don't think he really got to "pick". I think he was assigned that song. SOmeone who knows Motown like Stefano seemed to, hearing it growing up and all, that song was a disconnect.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 09:51 PM
Yeah, I kind of gathered that. They're usually given a limited selection to choose from and you may be right in that he was limited to the point of doing this song.

Posted by JessicaRN on 03-24-11 at 01:41 AM
Cute kid. Belongs on a cruise ship.

"Haley Reinhart"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 08:57 PM
Uh Oh Gordon reviewing Mama Stefano's Food.

She wants to avoid the bottom three. She thinks it is because people don't think she's trying 100%.

You've Really Got a Hold On Me.

"RE: Haley Reinhart"
Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 09:00 PM
Haley gets the out of tune back up singers to make it seem like Haley can't sing...

Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 09:01 PM
I find the back up singers rarely add anything and often detract...but I guess putting people to work is a good thing...even if it squashes the dreams of young children...

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 09:08 PM
She'd been better off without them, as their tones didn't mix well with hers at all.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:03 PM
Interesting agenda idea.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 09:00 PM
Ack, that last note almost killed me. She looks and sounds like a pretender with this song, playing around showing off vocal gymnastics and not really getting into the spirit of the Motown sound of the song. Nah, I'll pass.

Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:00 PM
Starts on the stairs of doom.
Did she take dance lessons from Paul?
Is she wearing the other Haley's shorts?

Was that Wednesday Adams clapping for her in the audience??

R. Bluesy with the growl came roaring back. The kind of singer you were, return to form. you feel me.

S. I feel you and I felt her. Beautiful, you sang your heart out. Don't look a day over fabulous. Growl you got (Randy makes him do an example).

J. You have that effortless control in your voice, can do anything with your voice, you may have the most soulful voice. On the girls side, most definitely.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:04 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-23-11 AT 09:05 PM (EST)

Did she take dance lessons from Paul?

The technovirus was transmitted during the shoulder rub.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:01 PM
*looks at jacket* It's official: someone in Wardrobe needs to die.

i don't like this
but you keep singing it

Honestly? If she had tried that routine during auditions, Simon never would have let her through without a complete apology delivered from the heart. And the knees. And his bringing his compassion out for its five-second yearly sunlight exposure. But -- like a few people so far, it was an improvement over last week. I just don't think that'll save her from B3. Hers is a fanbase problem, and I think most of the votes are locked going in.

Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 09:01 PM
That was rude of Ryan to ask Gordon to comment on Stefano's Mom's food. Maybe that was the point.

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 09:01 PM
Sound cut out halfway through but I thought she did better than last week.

Although Steven might deserve a bit of a beating back at the Shoppe for the tongue bath he afforded the little jezebelle.

Posted by niteowl0205 on 03-23-11 at 09:02 PM
I know she can sing. I'm not getting the personality. I could hear Simon saying 'cruise ship cabaret'. Although I do hope she's in the Top 10...vocally she deserves to be there.

"Scotty McCreery"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:07 PM
On the Coke interview stools. Tape of Scotty playing Basketball from the balcony.

For Once in My Life.

Tornado Warning. I may not be here much longer. They love to go all weather all the time.

"RE: Scotty McCreery"
Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 09:08 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-23-11 AT 09:10 PM (EST)

He's GLEN CAMBELLing it!!! I LOVE HIM!!!!!!

ETA - Love the little eyebrow lift.

Posted by niteowl0205 on 03-23-11 at 09:13 PM
So no one hates him because he keeps his 'bigoted' thoughts to himself, i guess.... I find Lauren much more entertaining. His 'dancing' tonight was a tiny bit cringe-worthy...

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 09:16 PM
I appreciate him for his talents, in and outside the Shoppe.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:17 PM
Unless/until he opens his mouth and world-class stupid comes out, he gets the benefit of the doubt. With Lauren, it's based in her words and actions. I'm not attacking Scotty based on a neck accessory.

As the saying goes, Christianity hasn't been tried and found wanting so much as it's been found rather difficult and left untried. (Thanks, Newsome.)

Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:39 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-24-11 AT 08:41 AM (EST)

Edited to dial back rhetoric.

It is hard to judge what someone's beliefs are just based on jewelry choices, or because they exhibit traits associated with a particular region or socio-economic group. Even within a defined group there can be a lot of differences between sub-groups.

I prefer to see what they actually do, say, or reports of how they treat others, rather than jump to conclusions too early. I'm sorry if that makes me appear inconsistent in my biases.

I may have heard things that predisposed me to dislike Lauren that I didn't hear about Scotty. However, most of the current difference in how I feel about them is from their actions on the stage and the attitudes they express than any previous report of behavior.

Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 09:10 PM
good grief...hold onto your glass!!

Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 09:11 PM
I love this kid....he truly has a crazy good voice....

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 09:16 PM
He's one of my fav guys this season and I think we'll hear even better from him in coming weeks. I think he was experimenting a little tonight, given the theme.

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 09:23 PM
*swoon* *thud*

Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:11 PM
Harmonica player on stage. Scotty sitting on the stage. Definitely twanging it up. Lots of leans and squatting during the singing as well.

Tornado warning one county north, they are just scrolling it, not in the watch area here.

S. Like Glenn Campbell (I called that) really nice, when you go down those low notes you tweak everybody.

J. Great version, didn't know what you were going to do with it, made it your own, that low note you get me all over again.

R. Not strongest performance, smiled the whole time, you applied what you do to anything, high note maybe 8 bars earlier, the low note is the lady killer note.

"Dear Scotty,"
Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:11 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-23-11 AT 09:12 PM (EST)

If you don't want to look like a lounge singer, don't start the song from a sitting position with your elbow on your knee and the first two shirt buttons open.

Just saying.

And after that, there was no way this wasn't going to come across as a lounge cover -- but it was a competent one. He managed to bring the song into his groove and propel it forward without widening the rut. Definitely not going home this week.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 09:15 PM
I'll differ with the judges this time. Pretty good performance by Scotty, but it seemed pretty obvious he was out of his usual comfort zone and he was putting a little of his own pizzazz into it. Although I think he did ok, the performance itself was kind of weak and the rather average arrangement & simple, steady beat didn't really jive.

We've got tornado warnings just north of here, although it looks like it'll pass us by.

"Pia Toscano"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:17 PM
All In Love Is Fair.

"RE: Pia Toscano"
Posted by zombiebaby on 03-23-11 at 09:19 PM
I thought Katherine McPhee was boring the first time around.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:23 PM
You win an Internet.

(How do you want it shipped?)

Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 09:20 PM
another ballad with lots of 'runs'...so maybe next week something new???

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 09:21 PM
Kelly Clarkson was a ballad pro as well, but Pia has to ramp it up. She needs to ##### slap that stage.

Posted by niteowl0205 on 03-23-11 at 09:24 PM
I. found. that. dull. sorry.
Beauty queen with great voice. next.
Kelly and Katherine had more 'sparkle' or 'personality', can't put my finger on it.

Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:22 PM
It's a ballad, with a string section on stage with her.

She looks much better with her hair pulled back like that.

J. Kill us, one of your killer ballads. Amazing vocals, beauty check, feeling check, but constructive criticism, can have a career like Celine Dion. She owns that stage. You sit there and we've seen it three times. Got to incorporate that other dynamic.

R. you think of the note and hit it dead on. Used the vibrato, a little more tender. Ballad, Ballad, Ballad, you can do some other stuff. You can't live by ballads alone.

S. looks like he's falling alseep. Closest star in this American Idol Universe. If you need to put sneakers on and kick some as I know you will do it.

Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 09:29 PM
I look for Pia to start to "grow" past the ballads starting with the top 10 (and I don't even know the theme). Just part of the plan I'm anticipating.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 09:25 PM
Looks like we're all on the same page here. Phenomenal voice, beautiful on stage, fantastic to look at and listen to. But where's the entertainment? With a voice like that, she needs to show that she can do just about anything, even one other thing.

"Okay, Simon..."
Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:25 PM
...that was (off-)Broadway.

I think her arms are connected to her register. As one goes up, so does the other.

She's cruising in what she sees as her zone right now. And given the sheer prevalence of ballads in the typical show catalog, she may never have to leave it. Jennifer's criticism may have translated out to 'Eventually, you need to bring the energy over a three.' Pia currently seems to disagree -- and may never reach the point where an actual conflict has to arise.

"Getting nervous."
Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:27 PM
The later Paul goes on, the more the producers are arguably favoring him.

Maybe it's just taking forever to get the clockwork wound?

"RE: Getting nervous."
Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 09:32 PM
So just who is it that they don't want on the tour? Stefano?

"Paul McDonald"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:30 PM
It makes him move around. Oh no!

Tracks of My Tears.

WGWG!!!!!

"RE: Paul McDonald"
Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 09:31 PM
hell. effing, oh.

There it is.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:44 PM
I'm not sure how you meant that.

I'm not sure anyone wants to find out.

Posted by niteowl0205 on 03-23-11 at 09:31 PM
I never liked this song and I LOVED THIS!! I think he was great!!
love him.

Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 09:32 PM
well, he ain't no Adam.....but I disagree with his voice being that original...I do believe he's a dead ringer for Kim Carnes...Betty Davis Eyes anyone???

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 09:35 PM
Kim Carnes...Betty Davis Eyes anyone???

Nice call Sues. Never got that but it totally fits. Hope he has more hits than the devine Ms. Carnes.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:32 PM
I am in so much pain right now.

When he swung his arm back, I think he hit me in the face.

Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:34 PM
Playing acoustic guitar.

The closed caption said masquerading, but that isn't what I heard. But then enunciation isn't his strong suit.

R. Yo. Did you have a good time. I like you are not dancing all around. Playing your guitar. you have a distinctive different kind of voice. Worried when it started, but you took it too a cool Paul kind of place. Jamming having a good time. When you sing tender. OMG dude. Got that husky quirky thing. Bring more of that out.

S. Very different Dylan, Willie Nelson. I love what you do. Just great.

J. You the most seasoned performer, it is true the complete package just need a good producer.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:37 PM
I would have just thrown my head back and screamed "Release the needles!"

"Jimmy Kimmel Heard what I heard"
Posted by Snidget on 03-26-11 at 09:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIfOt4fcsbU&feature=player_embedded#at=20

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 09:38 PM
Stock and trade beach party WGWG, acoustic with some beach girl vocal backups. And I've heard and seen much, much better. Not impressed. Ok, I guess, for Paul in his own element. But he still looks creepy to me -- I can't put my finger on it and I'm not sure I want to.

If it's not the dance strings pulling him, then it's him pulling the guitar strings.

"Ryan tells Paul he is Cougar Bait"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:34 PM
Well, they know their audience.

"RE: Ryan tells Paul he is Cougar Bait"
Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 09:36 PM
Maybe

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:37 PM
Does the audience have mastery of their Paul domain?

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 09:41 PM
Ah, hah, that's it. Him, his guitar, and a cougar putting up with his singing until she can get him away from the guitar.

"Naima Adedapo"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:41 PM
Dancing in the Streets.

Naima is probably going to add some African Dancing, oooh that could be entertaining.

"RE: Naima Adedapo"
Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 09:42 PM
too.slow

Posted by niteowl0205 on 03-23-11 at 09:46 PM
>too.slow

I was a bit disappointed in her vocals tonight. I know she can sing sooo much better than that. But I love her.

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 09:47 PM
Didn't wait long enough, Sues.

That was an amazing compliation of song critisism, mixing the dance, mixing the performance, keeping it all together and taking everything the jidges threw out and incorporating into one big performance, was an A+. That.is.all.

Posted by zombiebaby on 03-23-11 at 09:54 PM
Agree 100%. I just love this chick and how she is not cookie cutter. Very rarely do I like a female contestant.

Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:45 PM
Gets an ethnic drum player on stage. Can't really hear the drums.

Now with a couple more ethnic drummers I hear it.

S. Don't know what to say. E to the Z tweedledeedee. Came up with the drums and the dance, the whole package, ate the stage.

She's related to Sawyer?

J. first goosebumps of the night. You're my dancer up there. Great voices, have that extra something on the stage.

R. I've been a little rough on you, finally all of Naima showed up. The whole kinda thing, the singer was there, everything worked out. Arrangement was good for you, not moving much while singing.

"It doesn't matter what you wear..."
Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:45 PM
...unless it's those pants...

To quote a pony I've recently met, that needed to be about twenty percent cooler. And more energetic. And uncaring about having people watching. And definitely faster. But mostly cooler.

"RE: It doesn't matter what you wear..."
Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 09:46 PM
With that wild dance she did, I'd give her the Wind Up Award for the night.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 09:49 PM
She in her element tonight with just the right arrangement and beat to showcase her stage presence. Vocally, not extraordinary, but performance-wise, quite entertaining (far more so than a couple of other ladies earlier tonight). That one dance might have been a little over the top, but hey, she's got that devil-may-care attitude that allows her to get away with it. Thumbs up, not disappointed.

Posted by zazzy on 03-24-11 at 08:58 AM
When's the last time a woman on AI really put it all out there? We've had guys do it, but this was great to have woman bring it.

"James Durbin"
Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:51 PM
Living for the City.

"RE: James Durbin"
Posted by Sues on 03-23-11 at 09:54 PM
me likey....

Posted by zazzy on 03-23-11 at 11:17 PM
Me, too.

Posted by Snidget on 03-23-11 at 09:56 PM
Goes over to the little side stage where they usually do the interviews/preview next person up.

Steven looked like that sobered him up. Uh oh.

J. OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, soak it up, soak it up. James, you are serious business up there. Incredible thing to watch, leave me speechless.

R. Rough in the beginning. J won't let him talk. Then you hit your pocket when you hit your high notes, by the end you were unbelievable. I even saw steven move.

S. Sometimes it takes a little being crazy, what you are all about. Held it in your range and you killed it.

"I figured it out."
Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 09:57 PM
Siobhan and Adam had a love child and only let him listen to classic punk rock.

He's the male Pia. One genre, one kind of performance, will twist anything he gets until it fits into what he believes he's capable of.

His ego is running away with him. They're going to elope in Vegas.

"RE: I figured it out."
Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 10:01 PM
His ego is running away with him.

Yeah, he got a little carried away with the around-the-audience finger pointing to almost no end while J-Lo was going, "James... James!" to get him to stop and let the crowd get quiet. It seemed like he was a little out of control there for about half a minute.

Posted by Estee on 03-23-11 at 10:11 PM
I felt as if he had a pure ego moment earlier than that -- the forced closeup he gave the side camera. Diamond-hard self indulgence.

Posted by JessicaRN on 03-24-11 at 01:46 AM
I thought his interaction with the audience was slightly uncomfortable and way over the top. Do you think that his Asperger's could make reactions like this just slightly inappropriate?

It also seems like when he was done, the tics were a bit stronger also. It would be really interesting to see how he would handle a career in the spotlight.

Posted by cahaya on 03-23-11 at 09:59 PM
Wow, this guy is so full of energy, I'm expecting the stage to blast apart in a nuke explosion. I'm not a huge fan of screaming lyrics, but this guy is one of the best we've seen on Idol. Give him a song, a rocking arrangement and let him go. Thumbs up.

Posted by zazzy on 03-24-11 at 08:54 AM
I agree...he's my fav so far this year.

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-23-11 at 10:12 PM
He's a dink. Hate him.

"Time to warm up the TiVo."
Posted by Max Headroom on 03-24-11 at 08:00 AM
I never watch AI live due to the minutes hours of filler between singers. Thanks, everyone, for the recaps and snark.

"RE: Time to warm up the TiVo."
Posted by realworld10 on 03-24-11 at 09:12 AM
I ALWAYS record the show - watch a couple of other shows - then watch AI back from my DVR. That way - I watch the performances - watch most of the comments (judges - never Ryan's cheeky comments) and fast forward through the rest. I always have time to vote - it's less than an hour of actual show watching - and I still have time to vote (Scotty!!).
Works like a dream.