URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 2980
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
""Big, big changes next year""

Posted by zazzy on 06-01-10 at 09:44 PM
I'm watching Idolatry for the first time this season...and they are talking about the producers dropping the ball on the season this year; even showed a clip of Aaron telling Michael Slezak that the cleared song list would have like only 12 songs on it, not the 45 or so that would be on itunes as the song list.

Check out Idolatry for some scrutiny on the season--I'm watching the finale ones, there are 6 parts to that segment, and they showed the irony of Lee singing with Joe Cocker and Lee's line was "what would you say if I sang out of tune ..." LOL! How did we miss this?

And that Crystal had to change the lyrics to the Alanis M. song--see the clips for that one.

Anyway, there were some producers that were interviewed after the finale and they talked about the need for some "big, big" changes next season. That quote is in part 6 of the finale discussion segment.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/06/01/lee-dewyze-crystal-bowersox-american-idol/

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: "Big, big changes next year""
Posted by Corvis on 06-21-10 at 01:42 PM
One big change is they've lowered the age to 15. Which just seems ridiculous to me. I'd rather they'd raise the age to 18. So few kids that young are able to handle the stress of the show, not to mention the fact that they're not nearly polished enough. Bad, bad move.

Posted by LFJ on 06-21-10 at 01:49 PM
Sounds like they are targeting a certain demographic?

Posted by arkiegrl on 06-21-10 at 02:38 PM
What I don't understand about that change is that the judges continually harp on how they don't think the younger contestants are really ready for all the pressure. So, how is someone even younger going to be able to deal with it?

Posted by zazzy on 06-25-10 at 12:30 PM
Oh, this sucks. 15?

First thought: they have found a 15 year old protege that they want to have win, ala a Miley Cyrus/Jo Bro type. Are they still doing those AI camps? Is it someone they discovered at one of those camps?

Second thought: David A sold a lot of concert tx for them his year with the tweens screaming for DA...so they want to appeal directly to the tweens with an "aspirational" 15 year old. He also did well with his single "Crush".

Third thought: it's all about ratings and someone thinks this will boost the ratings.

Newsflash to AI: TALENT will boost your ratings. 10 really TALENTED people, not just a couple of hand picked "chosen ones" to sheperd through the process.

Look at how well Dancing With the Stars did this year with Nicole S's talent. Sure Kate G brought some gawkers, too, but the talent kept peeps watching.

Watch AI pick some 15 year old guy whose voice changes during the season.

Posted by CTgirl on 06-25-10 at 01:28 PM
I know I promised you and emy that I would play PTTE next year, but this? Makes me want to barf. The last season I really truly enjoyed and looked forward to AI each week was season 5. Talent AND personality is what gets me invested in a season. (But I guess I am the wrong demographic! )