URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 2972
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"I've figured out the pattern to the (disappointing) winners."

Posted by satyre on 05-27-10 at 00:25 AM
Whether it's by rigging or just the subtle swaying by the judges (notice how they slowed down Crystal's momentum and built up Lee as the end neared), there is a simple goal: the contestant who needs to win to sell records and make money for the producers does. Last year Adam didn't need to win. So it wasn't just homophobia, I don't think, that stood in his way. Kris needed to win; he was a sweet, cute boy with a little talent, but nothing special. He's already largely forgotten, as are most of the winners, especially in recent years. This year, Crystal didn't need to win; she's going to be a star regardless. In order to get money out of Lee, who is nice and shy but not very good, he had to win. He's not even an average singer, and his cover of "Beautiful Day" is awful. The winners make their little promised albums, make lots of money for the Idolers, and then pretty much go away. The Daughtrys, the Lamberts, the Bowersoxes... they'll fetch the money and return unscathed. I think they figured this out by season two.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: I've figured out the pattern to the (disappointing) winners."
Posted by BOYmeetsREALITY on 05-27-10 at 09:05 AM
Good observation Satyre!

I totally agree!

Disappointed the true talent was not recognized again last night.

Lee is AWFUL!

Posted by geekboy on 05-27-10 at 04:53 PM
There is only one flaw in your theory.

Adam Lambert, David Archuleta, and many others that 'didn't need to win' pretty much fizzled out just like some winners have. How do you explain that? These conspiracy theories are always full of holes.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Posted by satyre on 05-27-10 at 05:36 PM
I wouldn't include Archuleta. In fact, Cook is probably the only recent exception to my rule. And how ever did Lambert "fizzle out?"

Posted by geekboy on 05-27-10 at 10:15 PM
How did he fizzle out? Let's see...

1 - his CD bombed
2 - first single bombed
3 - 'what do you want from me' got some airplay...i'll give you that
4 - I no longer hear anything from him on any radio station
5 - what else has he done? the only place i hear about him is on Idol news boards

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Posted by cahaya on 05-27-10 at 10:26 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-27-10 AT 10:40 PM (EST)

'Cause you could have been number one
If you only found the time
And you could have ruled the whole world
If you had the chance

You could have been number one
And you could have ruled the whole world
And we could have had so much fun
But you blew it away

Agman's Muse

Posted by zazzy on 05-28-10 at 12:18 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-28-10 AT 12:34 PM (EST)

Checking the Adam fan thread on Idolforums:

--as of May 22 his CD had sold 639,000 in the US. Worldwide total-- the number is speculated to be in the mid 700's. They say it went "platinum" in Canada with sales of 80,000.

FWIW, Adam's CD debut in the US is less than Taylor Hicks.

As for singles, of May 29, WWFM has sold 1.192 million. This is still lagging behind Kris's debut single: "Live Like We're Dyin" which has sold over 1.4 million, the 12th best Idol selling single (and may be the 10th biggest seller by later this year because it is still selling thousands a week). However, Kris's album hasn't even sold gold the last time I looked. Adam got to sing WWFM on AI this season to boost his album and single sales; Kris did not get to sing LLWD on AI this season. (They had him on early in the season to sing Let It Be against a backdrop of humanitarian work images).

Adam received a lot more promotion for his album and had 2? 3? singles released from it. As best I can tell,
FYE was dropped from being promoted after Adam's weird appearance on the AMA's.

Meanwhile, Kris's label waited until this month to release a second single from his album (when momentum could have been achieved months ago!) and instead of picking the upbeat song that has been featured with Kris in Ford commercials (Alright With Me) they picked the slower song Kris sang on the Finale this week (The Truth).

They still want Adam to be "the" story from season 8 and their promotion and support show it.

Posted by zazzy on 05-28-10 at 12:22 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-28-10 AT 12:23 PM (EST)

Top Selling AI singles:

1. Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown, "No Air," 3,127,000*
2. Carrie Underwood, "Before He Cheats," 2,995,000
3. Kelly Clarkson, "My Life Would Suck Without You," 2,311,000*
4. Kelly Clarkson, "Since U Been Gone," 2,235,000*
5. Daughtry, "It's Not Over," 2,103,000*

6. Jordin Sparks, "Tattoo," 2,070,000*
7. Daughtry, "Home," 1,966,000*
8. David Archuleta, "Crush," 1,918,000*
9. Carrie Underwood, "Jesus, Take The Wheel," 1,678,000
10. Kelly Clarkson, "Because Of You," 1,465,000*

11. Jordin Sparks, "Battlefield," 1,444,000*
12. Kris Allen "Live Like We're Dying", 1,428,000
13. Kelly Clarkson, "Breakaway," 1,413,000*
14. Jordin Sparks, "One Step At A Time," 1,377,000*
15. Kelly Clarkson, "Already Gone," 1,344,000*

16. David Cook, "The Time Of My Life," 1,328,000*
17. Carrie Underwood, "Cowboy Casanova," 1,330,000
18. Kelly Clarkson, "Behind These Hazel Eyes," 1,310,000*
19. Daughtry, "Over You," 1,273,000*
20. Carrie Underwood, "All-American Girl," 1,198,000

(* numbers not updated since 4/30)

Posted by mrc on 05-28-10 at 01:41 PM
I'm shocked about Jordin having so many top singles. Except for AI appearances, I haven't heard anything from her since she won.

Posted by zazzy on 05-28-10 at 03:25 PM
She's been the opening act for the Jonas Brothers and Britney Spears.

Wiki reports this:

"In May 2010, Jordin will embark on her first ever solo headlining tour, the Battlefield Tour in support of her second studio album of the same name.

On May 3, 2010, it was announced that Sparks will join the cast of the Tony Award-winning Broadway show "In the Heights". She will be replacing Janet Dacal as the female lead role, Nina Rosario."

I'm wondering how you can headline a tour and be on Broadway at the same time.

Posted by Snidget on 05-28-10 at 06:55 AM
Oh I do think there is manipulation by the judges (who they pimp when to get favorites further along than they might get on merit alone).

But I don't think it is to make the one that needs it win. They make most of the money from the ads so having consistently successful winners isn't that big a part of the scheme of things. Helps to have that once in a while to keep up the interest, but it isn't going to make or break the show if the winner (and/or any particular runner up) tanks.

I think that shows up in several people mentioning that Idol management often isn't particularly aggressive in promoting an album or single (Adam is about the only exception he got way more promotion that I think any idol ever has, but he may also have been in the business long enough to know how to push for it) until after it gets legs on its own.

I think more often it is "the underdog gets the vote" than the one that needs the title more. Poor David Cook having to compete against that cute young boy who everyone loves, poor Kris having to compete against that professional performer who grabs all the attention, poor Lee having to compete against the woman everyone said would win for the last umpteen weeks.

People like to vote for the underdog on talent shows (there are other things they vote for, but that is a classic one). They may not buy their albums, but they will vote for them. That and if you look at pop-rock music that bland white guy rock seems to have a pretty good market, and so people will sometimes vote for that because that is what they are used to liking.

Posted by satyre on 05-28-10 at 02:47 PM
Excellent response.

Posted by zazzy on 05-28-10 at 03:45 PM
I just posted about Lee and Crystal signing contracts.

Crystal got 19/Jive (no surprise) which is noted for doing the milking of the fan base $$ and not giving as much promotional support.