URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 2928
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Rankings - Top 7 -Inspirational Songs"

Posted by geekboy on 04-20-10 at 10:30 PM
I have to say tonight was a lot better than I anticipated. I counted only one 'schlocky' song the whole night, which is amazing. Also, in my opinion, there were three 'moments' in one night. On to my rankings...

The Moments
--------------
1 - Crystal - People Get Ready - One word. Wow. She has raised the bar so high tonight. I've been on the Crystal train since day one, and she hasn't disappointed.
2 - Lee - The Boxer - The performance we've been waiting for. Another incredible moment.
3 - Siobhan - Miracles - I have to disagree with the judges two weeks in a row. I have loved the last two Siobhan performances and she deserved praise for her vocal control tonight.

<gaping chasm>

4 - Tim - Better Days - Tim is on a roll. He has improved in amazing ways. Three weeks of solid performances, and I think his song choices are impeccable. Although it was far from a 'moment', it was a great performance.
5 - Casey - Don't Stop - Kara is right. Casey can do so much more, and i think he should have started to bring it tonight. I don't know why he holding back, but something tells me he is. I don't think this week was a week to hold back.
6 - Mike - Hero - Didn't work for me like the judges said. I think it was too far out of his comfort zone.
7 - Aaron - I Believe I Can Fly - Really? This is your song choice? Your age is showing. Although it ended well...this one did not fit you at all. I think you are in deep trouble.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Rankings - Top 7 -Inspirational Songs"
Posted by riverrocker on 04-20-10 at 11:00 PM
1. Crystal--amazing
2. Siobhan--in spite of the judges!

BIG gap:

3. Tim--getting better each week
4. Lee--definitely not a fan of his sound, but it was okay
5. Casey--definitely not a fan, but okay
6. Aaron--just so-so
7. Mike--gotta go

Posted by cahaya on 04-20-10 at 11:24 PM
From the ECST, as usual. Although this week wasn't a train wreck, it also wasn't inspiring. The weekly shuffle is still on.

1. Crystal Bowersox - People Get Ready by the Impressions - Ok, about what I expected from Crystal. Great voice, spot on arrangement, but I still felt she gave us more of the same of what she has to offer. Thumbs up for a clear favorite, yet I still have higher expectations of what she can do.

2. Michael Lynche - Hero - Pretty good, although he didn't really need to be playing the acoustic and the lighting didn't match up with the song very well. Still... his vocals came through loud and clear and he showed that he too can be a hero. Thumbs up, although it perhaps wasn't his best performance this season.

3. Lee DeWyze - The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkle - Not bad. Good arrangement to back the vocals and A-key capo acoustic. I wasn't bowled over by this performance like the judges were -- he still looks uncomfortable on stage in spite of his good sound -- but he'll pass this week as he looks forward to being a contender. Idol? Still remains to be seen -- and heard.

4. Siobhan Magnus - When you Believe by Mariah and Whitney from the Prince of Egypt - It's make it or break it for Siobhan and I get the impression she's about to crumble. I hear it in her song and I hear it afterward when she comments on her performance. She's good, no doubt, but she'll need to change up into something a little more extraordinary if she is to be the Idol.

5. Casey James - Don't Stop by Fleetwood Mac - Typical Casey. His voice and riffs cut through the backup but it's still much the same as he's performed over the last few weeks. Nice performance to open the show with, although it wasn't extraordinary -- nor as Simon mentioned, inspiring. Thumbs up for a pass, but he'll have to up it to gain Idol status.

6. Tim Urban - Better Days by the Goo Goo Dolls - Another acoustic with the capo on A. Maybe Tim will melt the hearts of the tweens, but I was left wondering just what his song was about. Not bad, I guess, as a Tim song, and he'll probably pass this week depending on how the remaining contestants perform tonight. He's been a surprise the last couple of weeks, but not this week. Good song, really. Interesting performance here on youtube.

7. Aaron Kelly - I Believe I Can Fly - Gotta go with Simon here. I'd switch the dial hearing this, yet I'm impressed Aaron managed a huge song like this in his youth. Dunno if he'll attract more voters with his performance, but he's still in the game, flying by the seat of his pants.

Agman's Muse

Posted by mtb002 on 04-20-10 at 11:30 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-20-10 AT 11:34 PM (EST)

Bad night for me, but here goes...

1. Crystal. I don't think I need to beat a dead horse, might be my second favorite cover of this song behind Eva Cassidy.
2. Siobahn. Screw the judges
3. Casey. I'm giving him lots of credit for his guitar playing. Heaven forbid, I think Randy was right to compare him to Kenny Wayne Shepherd.
4. Lee. I'm not going to lie, I hated this. I love the original. I hated this arrangement, and his "vocal stylings," such as they were. But as offended as my sensibilities were, still better than....

5. Tim. Not bad for Tim, not good either, but not bad
6. Mike. Can't help thinking Seal would have killed that. Do you hear me Seal?
7. Aaron. Even when he sings well, he's my least favorite left.

Posted by gabygirl1 on 04-20-10 at 11:51 PM
I thought Crystal's perfrmance was just amazing. I bet she will be a major topic in Thursday's live chat at 3 p.m. ET/Noon PT!

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/american-idol/live-idol-chat-at-3-p.m.-et-thursday/

Denise (Fancast Team)

"Enough."
Posted by Estee on 04-21-10 at 07:57 AM
Tell you what: from now on, I'm going to alert every fresh self-promoting post of yours that I find. We'll see who gets banned first.

Posted by kingfish on 04-21-10 at 07:35 AM
Sort of agree with Geekboy and others, except that I would put the chasm between Crystal and all the rest. And I wasn’t as enamored with Lee, I mean, it doesn't take too much talent to do a passable rendition of “The Boxer.”

If Crystal had sung Cohen's Hallelujah, I'd of been in a puddle.

And I thought her dress was elegant and a nice change for her.

Posted by Snidget on 04-21-10 at 07:53 AM
1. Crystal. Yea, it was the same old same old from her, but she did her shtick better than usual, and her average expected boring performances are much better than what most anyone else can do this season.

2. Siobhan. FIGHT THE POWER! Yea, it was the same old pretty much expected from her, but she finally got her shtick together this week. And the random butterflies attached...anyone who will channel Libby in the mental hospital is OK by me. I miss Libby.

3. Tim. Yea, it was the same old 3 note song that he finally figured out he can sing OK shtick, but just keep on smiling and enjoying the ride. At least some of his shtick varies a bit, but gosh I'd love to see him crank out another Crazy Little Thing Called Love kinda thing before he goes.

4. Lee. Yea, it was the same old from him, but he does it better than Casey and he manages to keep the goat he swallowed under control.

5. Mike. Yea, it was the same old expected thing from him. I like him better without the guitar.

6. Aaron. Did he sing the same song again this week? Didn't they blast Tatiana for that?

7. Casey. Same old, same old. getting old. He's cuter than Aaron, and once in awhile his same old fits a song better than Aaron Same old same old, but I'm tired of him, and I kinda wanna see Kara lose it if Tim stays and Casey goes home.

Posted by zazzy on 04-21-10 at 09:15 AM
1. Crystal--head and shoulders above all the rest. I may buy my first performance of the season from itunes this week.

2. Siobhan--if someone they wanted to be in the F2 had sung that song the judges would have been effusive with their praise. Instead, they tried to help you into the bottom three tonight. I thought you did a beautiful rendition.

3. (tie) Lee--there were glimpses of what you can be with this song; however, as you sang it I thought about how David Cook would really nail this song and sell it. You haven't reached that level yet; are you about to bust out? Time's running out.

3.(tie) Cssey--I enjoy his performing. At least he smiles and enjoys himself as he performs. We know he can do more; I agree he did with Jealous Guy. But he didn't deserve to both go first in the show and get trashed.

5. Tim-- almost tied with Lee and Casey. There were a couple of spots at the beginning when he tried to sing more softly that weren't good; but the middle and the end were very good. Not win-the-show very good; but better than they gave him credit for.

6. Mike--yes, he sings well. I just don't buy his singing anthemic songs. I like him better singing R&B. Hope he gets to sing R&B soon.

7. Aaron --why is he still there? Oh, that's right, he's mid pack fodder. I don't listen to him much at all. Did the judges like him or did they finally pan him? I have never seen the appeal.

Posted by Glow on 04-21-10 at 09:41 AM
I agree (once again) with your rankings. I'd put the gaping chasm after Tim though, not before him. I'd also probably put some big gap between Lee and Siobhan. Crystal and Lee ran away with the night.

Casey is boring. His fake smile does nothing for me. He can be (and probably is) so much better. Lee though... I am officially a fan. And then his smile melted me a little bit. He lit up the stage during the "judge's" "critiques".

Posted by emydi on 04-21-10 at 04:02 PM
you and your crushes...gah Glowie...I don't understand most of them...excpet forthis one

Posted by Glow on 04-22-10 at 08:48 AM
I don't have any crushes this season....

yay Mark! Thanks, emy!

Posted by frodis on 04-21-10 at 05:59 PM
I agree with you about Casey, Glowie. He's nice and likable enough and I think he's talented, but he reminds me of an actor playing a musician when he performs like he did on yesterday's show. Cheesy. I want to like him more than I do.

Posted by Tummy on 04-21-10 at 11:10 AM
For once I pretty much agree with everything you said.

I also want to say I love the Fern Gully look Siobhan had going on.

Posted by geekboy on 04-21-10 at 02:25 PM
I was disappointed that the 'Siobhan Death Eyes' didn't come out during the judge's slapping last night. Perhaps she was advised NOT to look so upset.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Posted by emydi on 04-21-10 at 03:59 PM
what drek last night inspiring? really? I'd say insipid

1. Crystal..she was good not great but better than all the rest and I was kinda put off by her crying at first then I heard the reason but it was still "gah" to me

2. Timmeh-this was closer to the Timmeh we know and love but last nite this was still much better for me than the rest. I voted for him thru watching the rest of Idol and Glee/Lost--I love my DVR. And Murphy should really write a role on Glee just for Timmeh. Last nite's show was a tribute to Madonna and it was great!

3. Casey-there's nobody else that I liked last nite. He's been better but I liked his guitar work and I like him

4. Aaron-yeah drekky song but he had a couple of good moments and I was surprised he hit some of the notes

5. Siobhan-I didn't like this. But I do like her. It sounded like she was singing thru a trumpet mute or thru her nose or something. She does look like she's going to lose it at any given moment

6. Lee-ugh I hate this guy, gravelly drekky S&G...again he ruins a good song. I don't see what you all see in him..

7. Mike-ugh, this was worse bc he picked Nickelsuck and you all know how much I "love" them...he also started to pound his chest after his Power note at the end but stopped shy of actually doing it like he did after he sang to be saved.

Posted by mathiascruz on 04-21-10 at 04:55 PM
1. Lee - sexy, powerful
2. Mike - great voice, boring song
3. Crystal - very good butboring as always
4. Tim
5. Siobhan
6. Casey - good voice but just like Crystal,boring
7. Aaron- most improved look along with Crystal ( not that this saying much); good voice, needs a lot of training

Posted by Belle Book on 04-21-10 at 07:36 PM
Here are my rankings:

1. Crystal -- wow!

Gap --

2. Lee -- really cool song. I always liked Simon & Garfunkel.

3. Siobhan -- better than what the judges said. Still, I wouldn't have sung Mariah and Whitney if I were you.

Huge gap --

4. Aaron -- really good vocals, not such a great song choice.

5. Michael -- just okay, sorry to say.

6. Casey -- you're getting way too predictable.

7. Tim -- back to the bottom again.