URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 2875
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"AI9 Top Eight Girls Performance Show ECST"

Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 06:45 PM
Please keep all discussion of the last of the semifinal performances on this thread until it has aired on the West Coast.

Another week of you can pick anything to sing and this is all you can come up with?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: AI9 Top Eight Girls Performance Show ECST"
Posted by Estee on 03-09-10 at 07:01 PM
you can't stop the girl

Will pay for complete Life And Times Of Juniper Lee set.

"Drink of the night"
Posted by whimsey on 03-09-10 at 08:13 PM
Drink of the night

Pinot Grigio

snack of the night

Miso soup with spinach, dumplings and spring rolls

"RE: Drink of the night"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:30 PM
Yummy!

"Time note."
Posted by Estee on 03-09-10 at 07:26 PM
It looks as if the Producers That Be are going to try and cram all eight performances into a single hour -- plus judge commentary, plus Ryan's interviews, plus at least four minutes of Ellen rambling through what used to be some kind of humor before she got ahold of it. In other words, if we're not running overtime, it's because someone got sick. Or shot themselves during Paige's pimping performance, followed by having their body collapse on the feed cut button.

It won't be the longest hour of your life, but if you find yourself longing for the sweet pains of labor, consider changing the channel.

"And..."
Posted by cahaya on 03-09-10 at 08:00 PM
enough commercial breaks for a Smokelong or two.

"Intro"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:01 PM
Katie
Siobhan
Lacey
Katelyn
Didi
Paige
Crystal
Lilly

8 girls one dream. Ladies night.
This is American Idol.

"RE: Intro"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:02 PM
Ellen on Simon's lap, nuzzling him. Ryan in Ellen's seat.

Ryan interrupts as he does the judges intro.

Simon says the worst night to go. Stakes are high.

"Katie Stevens"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:03 PM
No Intro Package

Breakaway--Kelly Clarkson

"RE: Katie Stevens"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:07 PM
Is it just me, because this is not good.

Randy. When the song is too big. Kelly one of the greatest contestants. Paled in comparison. Karaoke. Didn't work for me.

Ellen. I love you took our note. Right song, young. You are young so I didn't feel those words. All those words you weren't feeling. We need to see personality.

Kara. Have a great radio voice. People who really know themselves and peopl who don't. Stumbling trying to figure it out. Sound of your voice is years older than you. You will get it. Singing needed to be perfect and it wasn't.

Simon. Had a lot of advice, taken the advice, chosen a young song. You haven't worked out what kind of artist you want to be. The problem was the second half didn't go and you sucked the energy out of it. 10 out of 10 for trying.

Posted by whimsey on 03-09-10 at 08:15 PM
Kinda thin, tinny and young. She tries so hard, and you can see that she listens. Too bad.

Posted by cahaya on 03-09-10 at 08:08 PM
Rather weak, drowned out by the chorus singers, setting the starting bar low for the night. Not impressed.

Posted by BriarRosie on 03-09-10 at 08:09 PM
Crash...meet Burn. Poor kid.

"The Snape review."
Posted by Estee on 03-09-10 at 08:10 PM
Mediocre to the last degree.

Also, Randy... 'the modern times of today'. What?

"Siobhan Magnus"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:12 PM
On the couch.

House of the Rising Sun--The Animals

"RE: Siobhan Magnus"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:16 PM
Starts A Capella.

I liked that.

Randy. I am already a fan. Different every week. I love what you do, take every risk, but you don't listen to us but keep doing that, it is hot.

Ellen. I know that house. You are why I love music. It is supposed to move you. I was captivated. Made it current. You are spectacular.

Kara. I love the A Capella. Brilliant choice. You are so unique and different. Week to week surprised by you. Unlikely character doing great.

Simon. Not such a fan. It was all a bit weird. I would have real doubts if this was the first time. Didn't do anything with the song. Underimpressed. There was no moment. A bit dark and boring.

Posted by whimsey on 03-09-10 at 08:17 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-09-10 AT 08:17 PM (EST)

I really liked that. Liked it more than last week's performance, which I truly didn't get.

Posted by emydi on 03-10-10 at 10:25 AM
ditto

Posted by cahaya on 03-09-10 at 08:18 PM
Having grown up in the psychedelia age of Frijid Pink's version of this song ('69), I liked it.

This gal is different and I like her style.

Posted by nailbone on 03-09-10 at 08:27 PM
Frijid Pink?!?!?! Holey carp you are old!!!

Posted by cahaya on 03-09-10 at 08:32 PM
Wow, man, you're here! (*thud!*)

Posted by nailbone on 03-09-10 at 10:10 PM
Can't help it. Love the Idol.

Posted by cahaya on 03-10-10 at 01:10 AM
Here it is. The guitar riffs are wicked. I'm amazed there's a video of it, even if it's just in black and white.

Posted by BriarRosie on 03-09-10 at 08:21 PM
She sang it well, but I am not a big fan of that performance for the same reasons as Simon.

Posted by Estee on 03-09-10 at 08:23 PM
It's a step down from last week -- but at this point, I have to think she's got enough of a fanbase assembled to survive into the Twelve.

More than anyone else this year, Siobhan makes me wish we could hear the whole song. There were more places to go with that, and she didn't have the airtime for any of them.

Posted by kingfish on 03-09-10 at 08:29 PM
I liked it, even though it's been done pretty much like that a hundred times. Well, she did have a few minor delightful variations from the usual. The performance was a bit more of a whole package than usual for AI, with the lighting changes and the transitions.

Not as spectacular as before, but still enjoyable.

Posted by Tummy on 03-10-10 at 09:59 AM
I am truly in the Siobhan camp. I love this girl. I get the whole Crystalcrush- I think she's good - but this girl is truly unique and crush-worthy.

Posted by sica077 on 03-10-10 at 06:59 PM
I agree, Tummy. Siobhan is my favorite.

"Lacey Brown"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:17 PM
The Story--Brandi Carlile

"RE: Lacey Brown"
Posted by whimsey on 03-09-10 at 08:19 PM
I thought that was lovely.

Posted by cahaya on 03-09-10 at 08:21 PM
Yeah, I had my doubts about her limitations before, but she picked just the song she could perform very well. Quite pleasing.

Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:20 PM
Sitting on the edge of the stage.

She always seems like she is trying to sound like someone else, not really her voice.

Randy. The song was sleepy. It was your best performance in a long time. I forgot you had that break in your voice. Very cool.

Ellen. Best to date. Like it was written for you. Distinctive voice.

Kara. This is why you got here. Different places in your register. Brilliant choice, back on your path.

Simon. I didn't love the song. You sang it well. You are very good you know where the cameras are. Feels like you've been doing it a long time. Haven't heard the right song connection, yet. In danger of being forgotten.

Posted by BriarRosie on 03-09-10 at 08:23 PM
It was a perfect song for her voice. I thought the "Kiss Me" song sounded almost identical to the original artist, because their voices are in the same tone and range.

For another moment, I thought I could hear Lacey tackle some Dolly Parton tunes. If she managed get through and do a Country week song, she'd be great with a Dolly song, IMHO. Just not Jolene. Please.

Posted by Estee on 03-09-10 at 08:23 PM
The best performance she's given so far -- but that's out of a weak field. I don't know if she can assemble enough last-minute backing to advance, and she's not picking up the Worsters with that number. Shaky ground.

Posted by kingfish on 03-09-10 at 08:32 PM
Nice. First time she hasn't gotten a Bleah from me. She sort of blew the last few notes, but other than that, and even with that, very nice.

Posted by thndrkttn on 03-10-10 at 07:52 AM
I don't know what it is but I don't like her or her voice at all. She sounds so contrived to me.

In addition, the sheer volume of make up she has on in hugely distracting. She has pretty eyes but you can barely see them with all the mascara and eyeliner she has caked on.

"Katelyn Epperly"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:25 PM
I Feel The Earth Move--Carole King

"RE: Katelyn Epperly"
Posted by whimsey on 03-09-10 at 08:28 PM
As me mum would say, "Lovely Girl". Don't know if she got enough to go further.

Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:29 PM
Has a Keyboard.

Not sure if it is plugged in or why it sounds like someone is playing it quietly but with a tennis ball.

Randy. Listen Positive. Cool, but didn't feel the vibe. Felt very put on. Nothing special. Sleepy, boring.

Ellen. Is that a guitar? I think we are getting to the top 12, not sure if that was the right song to Wow people with. I don't know if that will make people dial. Not enough.

Kara. I didn't feel like you were competing. Just going through the motions. Carol King was always in the zone. Like you weren't really playing. Do you know?

I was trying to be less corny.

Simon. Start with a positive. I like your hair. It was kind of like request on Friday in a Restaurant. Perform it quite well, but on the most important night chose a simple song and didn't do anything with it. Others look like they are trying harder.

Posted by cahaya on 03-09-10 at 08:30 PM
As a guitarist, the original by Carol King ranks amongst my favs (yeah, I'm old, see the '69 House of the Rising Sun note above), but I felt like this performance was a pale imitation of it. Nice try, but...

Posted by BriarRosie on 03-09-10 at 08:30 PM
It's scary that Simon can read my mind a smidge.

I thought she would have fit in at a piano bar.

Posted by Estee on 03-09-10 at 08:31 PM
Needed: a high-voltage live wire.

Got: battery box.

"Didi Benami"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:35 PM
Rhiannon--Fleetwood Mac

"RE: Didi Benami"
Posted by whimsey on 03-09-10 at 08:37 PM
Torn between Siohban and Didi. And I'm sure voters will be.

Posted by BriarRosie on 03-09-10 at 08:39 PM
And now I know what Didi had that Katelyn didn't.

A soul. It's like someone stole Katelyn's.

Didi did a great job on that.

Posted by zazzy on 03-09-10 at 09:16 PM
Thank you. That's it. I want to like Katelyn but I don't feel any connection to her. I liked kast week's better. She had some feeling there.

Didi...I liked her earlier but everything is starting to sound the same to me. She has certain stylistic things that she does and she does them in nearly every performance. Too many others sucked tonight so she'll probably make the 12 now. The whole came-through- the-fire thing.

Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:38 PM
Playing the guitar

Will you ever win? Probably not singing like that.

Randy. It was whole lot better than last week. I'm not sure there was a Wow moment. I'd like to ehar you again. Not the best you can do.

Ellen. Yes indeedy didi. Smiling and singing. Lovely performance. Like what you did with it. Always be torn apart.

Kara. One of my favorite moments so far this season. I though you were out of your mind. Sometimes you can surprise us by what you bring with the song. Congratulate you, favorite moment.

Simon. I have to agree with Kara. Head and shoulders above anything else. Proved you are an artist. Had a wow moment, the whole performance.

Mix must be different in the studio than on the TV.

Posted by cahaya on 03-09-10 at 08:40 PM
I wrote her off last week, but I'll write her back in. Good performance, good comeback, but I'm still not convinced.

Posted by Tummy on 03-10-10 at 10:01 AM
Totally agree with this. But this was the performance I watched twice tonight. I liked it even better the second time.

Posted by kingfish on 03-09-10 at 08:42 PM
Pretty perfoemance. Didn't move me too much though.

Posted by Estee on 03-09-10 at 08:45 PM
In one combined word: overpimped.

"Paige Miles"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:39 PM
Smile--Charlie Chaplin

"RE: Paige Miles"
Posted by BriarRosie on 03-09-10 at 08:41 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-09-10 AT 08:42 PM (EST)

I am not smiling now. It was weaker than weak. Shouldn't this song have more power behind it?

I think she's a Worstie contender.

Posted by whimsey on 03-09-10 at 08:42 PM
I was hoping she would break out in the Take 6 version, but no. Terrible arrangement. She seemed to be in a different place.

Posted by cahaya on 03-09-10 at 08:44 PM
Yup, definitely a nuh-uh. As much as she says she loves the song, it's not the one for her to sing. I can easily imagine a good dozen or two other songs she could shine with.

Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:43 PM
Is the band trying to rush her?

Or is the percussion section playing a different song?

Randy. That is one of my favorite songs. It just didn't work. Way too big for you. Melody so important. Bossa Nova with the band. Like a banquet. Didn't work at all.

Ellen. Supposed to be inspiring. Sad and heavy. You have such a great personality and we didn't see it. you didn't shine. Wrong song to choose.

Kara. They said it. It was all wrong. This was not the night to do that. Did you know.

Paige: It is emotional and I love this song. Hard to sing it, but I love it. Sorry it didn't work.

Simon. Just repeat what everyone said. Arrangement was awful. Holiday Inn 1974. Peanut performance. No one paying attention. So much potential. Have a great voice. No idea who you are. Bad decisions. Could be the end of the road.

Posted by kingfish on 03-09-10 at 08:43 PM
Interesting to learn that Chaplin wrote that,

Snore!

Posted by Estee on 03-09-10 at 08:46 PM
You know you're going to have a bad night when the band and makeup people sabotage you at the same time, followed by your taking the microphone and cooperating...

Posted by Vandralu32 on 03-10-10 at 04:28 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-10-10 AT 04:28 PM (EST)

>Smile--Charlie Chaplin

Paige totally butchered this song! She sang the song like someone had a gun to her head!!!!! Yeah, I appreciate your love for MICHAEL but you can't sing like Michael! There are soooo many upbeat, good songs she could have chosen to sing. Me thinks Ms. Miles is going home!

Posted by zazzy on 03-09-10 at 08:46 PM
Wow, six girls in and I'm not rooting for anyone. Siobhan, maybe, but not by much.

Sigh.

"Crystal Bowersox"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:48 PM
Give Me One Reason--Tracy Chapman

"RE: Crystal Bowersox"
Posted by zazzy on 03-09-10 at 08:50 PM
OK! Crystal!!!

Posted by zazzy on 03-09-10 at 08:54 PM
Agree with Simon. She's the one to beat. She seems like a pro while the rest are floundering.

Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:51 PM
Playing electric guitar.

Randy. Listen man. this is what this show is about. Love you, love the song, love the honesty.

Ellen. I need new adjectives. Best performance of the night.

Kara. People know who they are. you know what to do. More contemporary, what you would be doing on your record. That is when I get excited.

Simon. You are one million billion percent going to be in the top 12. Most improved. got confidence. Believe in yourself. you are the one to beat.

Posted by whimsey on 03-09-10 at 08:53 PM
Well that was great, I still feel she's holding a bit back.

Posted by cahaya on 03-09-10 at 08:53 PM
Nice, with the right edge for a blues key song. I kind of wondered where she was going to go with it after the first few bars, then she resolved it and moved into it nicely with a good finish. Overpimped for sure, but at least in her case there's some good reason.

Posted by BriarRosie on 03-09-10 at 08:53 PM
Zzzzzzzzzz... *snort* Wha? Huh? WHOA! Hello!

The girl leaves the rest in the dust. She's the rose among the weeds tonight. Unless Lily sings like cold oatmeal like the rest of them, she might be the only other person to come close to Crystal in performance tonight.

Posted by Estee on 03-09-10 at 08:54 PM
I never want to hear Simon say 'one million billion percent' again.

Beyond that, I can't really judge this one -- I hate that song, so any performance of it has to be incredible just to keep me from hitting the Mute button on general principle. In this case, I just turned away from the remote and twitched.

Posted by zazzy on 03-09-10 at 08:56 PM
LOL.

Posted by kingfish on 03-09-10 at 08:55 PM
Wonderful. She is clearly among the top two or three, depending on how the others do. So far she's the best.

She has a Bonnie Raitt vibe. Would be interesting to see Crystal to one of Bonnie's songs.

Posted by thndrkttn on 03-10-10 at 07:58 AM
Did anyone take note of the girls' expressions up in the balcony when Crystal was singing? Not.Happy. I wouldn't be either if I was up against her.

I have never purchased an American Idol contenstant's cd, winner or not. I WILL be purchasing Crystal's when it comes out.

Posted by BriarRosie on 03-10-10 at 08:56 AM
I did, actually. I knew I forgot to mention that.
Katelyn especially appeared to be giving a "golf clap" to the music. Lackluster "enjoyment" of Crystal's performance.

Posted by thndrkttn on 03-10-10 at 09:09 AM
Yeah, it was definitley Katelyn who had the biggest sourpuss/poor sport look on her face. For a pretty girl, that attitude made her extremely unattractive.

Posted by Maroonclown on 03-10-10 at 09:25 AM
I got the impression that she was still not well. She gave a soft finish on the guitar and immediately plunked herself down. Didn't even get up when Ryan went over.

She just appeared as if she was completely deflated. Even when the judges were praising her to high heaven.

I think she's still very sick.

Posted by Glow on 03-10-10 at 09:30 AM
I get the feeling she doesn't love being on this show. Can't blame her.

Bring back Rock Star!

Posted by Tummy on 03-10-10 at 10:05 AM
Sits with Glow. I was just thinking the other day that with all the harping on bad song choice picks I wish they'd change the format to how they ran Rock Star.

Posted by LFJ on 03-10-10 at 10:20 AM
Did I understand Simon to say she was in the hospital due to Diabetes? If so, it is no wonder she doesn't look too perky. She is young, which means she is probably an Insulin dependent diabetic, which means stress is totally screwing with her. She most likely can't get her blood sugars under control. Once she gets out of the competition, and gets on a regular schedule, she will be better. I like her a lot!

"Lilly Scott"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:55 PM
I Fall To Pieces--Patsy Cline

"RE: Lilly Scott"
Posted by zazzy on 03-09-10 at 08:57 PM
Oh my.

Posted by BriarRosie on 03-09-10 at 08:57 PM
Nope, not that hot, dear. Crystal is the queen of the night.

Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 08:58 PM
Is that an electric Ukulele?

Just kinda ishy meh to me.

Randy. Love the Mandolin. Love the song, it was hot. In the zone. Well done.

Ellen. Love your voice and style, love you.

Kara. You kinda made Patsy Cline seem current.

Simon. Very Brave picking that song. Didn't have the wow factor. It was cute and quirky. Could have been a risky thing.

Posted by cahaya on 03-09-10 at 09:00 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority here... meh for me. Didn't like the key, tone, arrangement or the too-predictable song performance itself. Certainly not something I'd buy or download.

Posted by Estee on 03-09-10 at 09:03 PM
Personally, I would have put down the tea and walked out of the shop.

Posted by Estee on 03-09-10 at 09:01 PM
And she did.

Posted by kingfish on 03-09-10 at 09:05 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-09-10 AT 09:08 PM (EST)

She and Crystal take the night. I'm inclined to give it to Lilly by a little margin, with Sioban third and Lacey fourth.

They had the instrument mixing screwed up a little with Lilly and with Crystal, at least as it came thru my set. Either a problem with my set or with AI production. Or my ears.

What a song, to do a Patsy Cline song and not come off badly in comparison to the incomparable Cline. I think the Patsy Cline country groove is where she sould be. She did it so well.

That was just beautiful.

"Vote for the Worst"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 09:00 PM
picked Paige.

"RE: Vote for the Worst"
Posted by cahaya on 03-09-10 at 09:05 PM
Rosie (post 42) called it first!

Yeah, she'll be lucky to last the week.

"RE: Vote for the Worst"
Posted by BriarRosie on 03-09-10 at 09:09 PM
Boy, I nailed that one.

My favorite performances of the night were Crystal and Didi. The rest? Maybe Lily and Siobhan behind them, with the rest rounding out the rear of the pack.

"Early Dial Idol Numbers"
Posted by Snidget on 03-09-10 at 09:13 PM
21.0 Crystal
7.8 Lacey
2.7 Katelyn
2.3 Siobhan
2.0 Didi
1.4 Lilly
1.0 Katie
0.7 Paige

"RE: Early Dial Idol Numbers"
Posted by southpaw on 03-09-10 at 09:54 PM
I'm okay with Katie and Paige leaving...I enjoy Lacey and Didi...don't think either can win but I think both have alot more to bring to the show ...but two of those four well be going I do believe

"Thanks, milady, snidget"
Posted by whimsey on 03-09-10 at 09:18 PM
You are one savory dumpling!

Posted by DrKegel on 03-10-10 at 11:00 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-10-10 AT 11:05 AM (EST)

Did watch last night. Not with y'all, but alone with a Subway sandwich and some chips.

Agree pretty much with what's been said. My favorites last night were:

1. Crystal
2&3 Didi and Siobhan

I should quickly add that it's the first-time I've heard Siobhan and really was impressed with her voice and vibe. She is definitely unique and I like the whole father-daughter musician/singer bonding thing going on. Nice.

Didn't like:

1. Paige
2. Katie
3. Lilly

I don't know what the heck Paige was thinking. There are fifty million Michael Jackson songs she could have sang if she was insistent on doing one. And why sing something that you're choking up on? Plus her voice was all over the place. She was on key and in tune maybe 10 percent of the time. It's a shame because I never got to hear her belt something out and I think she could.

As to who I think should go home Paige, Lacey or Katelyn. I'm basing those selections on previous performances or what I think their potential would be if they hung around. In other words, what they could potentially bring to the table. While Katie did horribly last night and the week before, she's clearly lost that essence of what she was in the auditions. She was exuberant. Positive. Young. Unconquerable. And she's turned into this nervous, trying-too-hard, shaky singer, but I know what I heard in the auditions and her fooling around in those promos. Lacey on the other hand is just not that strong of a singer. I do think she could be a recording star if given the right material that suited her - like last night. Song fit her like a glove, but just on voice alone - she's not that strong a singer. And Lilly ...

Lilly, Lilly, Lilly - I've loved Lilly since her original audition and last night she did something that just may get her in trouble down the road. She tried to be too cute and too original and too different and too everything. The song was horrible for her. It didn't highlight her voice or anything about her. I don't care what the judges said, at points she sounded downright bad! Crystal makes good choices. Really digs in a song and chews it about. Didi finally got back to what she does well, and Lilly jumps off into Different Land. And they primed her to steal the show. She was the last one to sing for heaven's sake! That meant Crystal came on and rocked it and then ... crash! burn! Instead of her seizing the opportunity and stealing the show - sealing her place in viewer's heart and being comfortable in the place she was meant to shine - she threw it all away.

She better take to heart what Simon keeps calling "moments." Just do not pick a song that does not have one! I wanted to take her that mandolin away from her and make her unpigeon-toe her feet and say that I'm not returning it until after the competition. I'm still rooting for her to do well, but I think the tongue bathing went to her head. She better stop with getting too cutesy and get down to singing.

Posted by zazzy on 03-10-10 at 12:29 PM
Agree with what you said about Lilly.

Posted by Tummy on 03-10-10 at 01:51 PM
Quit bashing the pigeon-toed girl.

signed - Pigeon-toed in Oklahoma

Posted by DrKegel on 03-10-10 at 05:27 PM
>Quit bashing the pigeon-toed girl.
>
>
>signed - Pigeon-toed in Oklahoma

------------

No offense to pigeon-toed people across the world.

Or to pigeons.