URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 2865
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Rankings - Top 10 Guys!"

Posted by geekboy on 03-02-10 at 10:46 PM
The guys - overall - did much better tonight. Nerves have settled. With the 'surprise switch', they didn't seem phased at all. On to the rankings...

Yo, Dawg, We Got A Hot One Tonight!!!
--------------------------------------
Lee DeWyze - Another solid performance that is shooting this guy to the top of the lists. With a little confidence, he'll take it all the way. Brilliant.

Michael Lynche - WAAAAY better than last week. Awesome song choice, props for a song never heard on Idol. Brilliant performance and interpretation.

Alex Lambert - Wow. So proud of this kid!! What a difference a week and a guitar can make. Simon is 100% correct - the voice is incredible. Like with Lee, a little dose of confidence and this guy could be amazing.

That Was Two Steps Backwards
-----------------------------------
Casey - This is a singing competition, not a rock guitarist competition. You used the guitar way too much and it was a distraction. Your vocals were good, but teh performance was wooden. You are better.

Aaron - The kid I didn't think i would like is good, but the song choice was terrible. The Temptations? After Rascal Flatts? Country suits you. Motown doesn't.

Andrew - I actually liked the performance myself, but I can see what the judges are saying. He is better than that.

These Bananas Will Not Ripen
------------------------------
John - Wow. This kid doesn't know who he is. No emotion.

Tim Urban - That was not good. Your not ready for this competition.

Jermaine - The judges are 100% correct. You are overdoing it. Just SANG.

Todrick - You need to leave now. Wow. That was not good.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Rankings - Top 10 Guys!"
Posted by FFantasyFX on 03-03-10 at 02:03 AM
My Rankings:

1.) Michael Lynche - Vocally good, but I thought the performance was over the top and forced. I was disappointed afterwards, and yet Michael somehow made it to the top of my list anyway.

2.) Aaron Kelly - Somewhat bizarre, seemed like an awful lot of vibrato going on (or am I confusing pitch problems with vibrato? ) Competent compared to the others though.

3.) Casey James - Extremely disappointing, the vocals were weak. Three steps back from last week - even the cougar had to agree.

4.) Lee Dewyze - Seemed like a good song choice for him, but I can barely understand half of what he sings with all the mumbling going on. Needs a massive injection of confidence.

5.) Todrick Hall - While not always aurally pleasing, I'm fascinated by the way Todrick annihilates songs.

6.) Alex Lambert - I'm not hearing this great recording voice that Kara keeps babbling about. Seems excessively nasal and off-putting to me. It doesn't help that Alex reminds me of Woody from Cheers with a mullet. Still, leaps and bounds better than last week.

7.) Andrew Garcia - I can't even remember his performance. Not a good sign. Lands on spot seven by default.

8.) John Park - Improved from horrible to subpar. Don't think it's going to be enough to stave off elimination.

9.) Tim Urban - I agree with Kara & Simon - better vocals & song choice this week, but it's just not enough. The judges were doing him a favor when they eliminated him. He might have been able to make a run if he had another year or three of seasoning under his belt, but at this point he can't cut it.

10.) Jermaine Sellers - Not only has he put me to sleep for two consecutive weeks, but Jermaine now wants to engage the judges in witty repartee afterwards? Please, America, no more.

At this point, I'm extremely underwhelmed by almost everyone, male or female. I'm looking forward to Siobhan tomorrow and hoping a few more can surprise me. But unless I'm looking at the past with rose colored glasses, I think we're looking at the least impressive Top 12 since I've started watching the show (Season 2).

Posted by geekboy on 03-03-10 at 08:02 AM
FFantasyFX -

I have to disagree with you. I don't think its so much the 'least impressive', but I do think that this season, we have a good crop of talented singers who simply do not know who they are yet, or where they fit in as musical artists.

WE're used to having the Adam Lamberts, David Cooks, Fantasias, etc - they all knew exactly who they were musically. You look at Lee Dewyze, and Didi, and Michael, and Lacey - they can sing, but do they know what kind of CD they would record? I don't think so.

I believe what we are seeing now is the largest crop of unpolished artists ever on Idol and it should be fun to see them grow as they figure out where they fit in.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Posted by CTgirl on 03-03-10 at 04:49 PM
I hope you are right about them being unpolished and that they will grow. That would make this season, which is kind of meh to me so far, fun to watch.

Alex Lambert is a case in point. I was so uncomfortable watching him last week because he was so uncomfortable, but this week I was able to forget that and listen to his voice and discovered that I liked it. He has a lot of potential. I hope a few others can grow as much as he did this past week.

Snowfall by Tribe

Posted by emydi on 03-03-10 at 10:15 AM
FX I think we were watching the same show for the most part I agree with a lot of what you say

Another awful DVR nite saying to myself...when is this thing going to be over!!!

1. Michael-I liked this except for the long pauses. Best song choice of the nite. The only reason I think he was 1st is that they like to start off strong and Michael is safe enough that singing first won't hurt his chances of making the tour which TPTB definitely want

2. Casey-I loved the guitar playing but he is not Jimi or SRGone. I can't get this song out of my head tho. I thought Kara's critique was all about her trying to save face imagine that, a judge making it all about hir.

3. Aaron-I like this dorky cutie pie. He giggled when Big Mike bench pressed him. Not the best song choice for me but smart bc I bet those tweeners all thought he was singing to him
(and it worked if you look at Smidge's data thread)

4. Lee-Ok-bad song choice I hate that song...he was very Daughtreyesque and I don't mean that in a good way...CD sold out.

5. Toddrick-this wasn't as bad as the judges said but I don't think he'll be around much longer...as Dave says...Pay back those kids!

6. Tim-this was better than last week but still VFTW gold

7. Jermaine-OMH i love him. I love when they talk back to the judges. I hope he sticks around and we get a field trip to his church with Simon in the front pew. Should have picked a different song though

8. Andrew-thank you Smidge and VFTW for first comparing him to Goawaykey...he's not good and that acoustic Straight up was not his original work (just like all of Cook's weren't)and it wasn't that great

9. ALex-I did not like this at all. He has somewhat of a voice but it is whiney and that last note was bad

10. John-omh what was that he was off key the entire song and it was too slow..he's toast

Posted by mrc on 03-03-10 at 11:00 AM
1. Alex Lambert: The Mullet can actually sing, and sing well.

2. Lee Dewyze: An unpolished Adam Duritz.

3. Michael Lynche: Not bad.

4. Andrew Garcia: Like him, but not the song choice.

5. Tim Urban: I thought he was decent, but he needs confidence.

6. Aaron Kelly: He only sucked a little.

7. Casey James: Great licks, but the vocals were light.

8. Todrick Hall: The judges were right.

9. Jermaine Sellers: I dislike this guy as much as I've ever disliked anyone on AI.

10. John Park: I want to see him succeed, but I don't think he can pull it off.

Someone Fooned me

Posted by zazzy on 03-03-10 at 11:20 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-03-10 AT 11:40 AM (EST)

Want to see again:

Lee --there's potential here
Alex -- a huge improvement
Casey -- wish he had seen the show so he'd know what he's in for; he needs to watch Bo Bice's tapes to get a sense of how to move on stage
Tim -- this was much better than three judges gave him credit for. Better than at least 4 other guys last night. I have this song and he did fine with it. Too bad he doesn't fit their plans for the show or the tour. He's an inconvenience to their plan at the moment.

OK enough to watch:

Andrew -- is he holding back? The judges were a bit desperate about him.
Michael -- did fine but not my cup of tea yet; a lock for the tour
Aaron -- ehh, not impressed
John -- improving

No more, please, and if you missed the show you can fast forward through these two:

Todrick -- does not have a good sense of what he has to do to gain support; may not even have the voice; time to go
Jermaine --diva-ish; your 15 minutes are up

Last night we had a return to traditional pimping with comments, lighting, etc. More in the pimpage thread soon.

Posted by 2curious on 03-03-10 at 03:16 PM
I totally agree with you

Posted by Glow on 03-03-10 at 01:04 PM
Adore:
Alex
Lee

Like their voices, thought they did well enough to continue to next week:
Michael
Andrew
Casey
Aaron

Waiting for more:
John - he has a beautiful voice and he's pretty.
Tim - there's something there somewhere

Do not want:
Todrick
Jermaine - I kept trying to figure out how to say why I don't like him and when Simon said "watered down" I was all yeah, that's it. He does terrible things to songs.

Posted by zazzy on 03-03-10 at 01:38 PM
"He does terrible things to songs."

Yes, yes, yes. Seems like in his head he is a huge star and all we needed to do was hear him sing and the country would be gaga over him. Only it doesn't translate at all to the AI stage and we don't want to see anymore of him.

Posted by geekboy on 03-03-10 at 02:09 PM
Glowie -

Do you realize how you and I are so much on the same page this season? Scary, yet so refreshing!

geekboy

Posted by Tummy on 03-03-10 at 04:42 PM
Lee DeWyze - Great song choice, nice performance.

Alex Lambert- I was clapping. I don't care if he wins I just want him to know he's a good singer. I hope he stays around because I like watching growth.

Michael Lynche - So much better than last week! Good job.

Casey - I love that he's a DIYer not a fan of lastnight but still a fan.

Aaron - So refreshing from Archie. I like.

Andrew - I want him to get into his groove. He just seems like he's trying to figure out what he's suppose to be doing a missing the mark bythismuch.

Tim Urban - Didn't think it was as bad as everyone else, but...

Todrick - DH liked it, I was meh.

John - Feeling sorry for the boy.

Jermaine - I hate putting him and his onesies last, but...

Posted by TanNymph on 03-03-10 at 04:52 PM
Overall, much improved from last week.

I'd like to see them stay:

Casey - Vocals were weak in comparison to last week. Liked the guitar alot.

Mike - Much better than last week. I liked it alot. Did he really say he benchs 505?? Wow!

Lee - I like him, liked the song, it was not as good the second time I heard it. He says words weird, I don't know what it is. He looked way nervous to me.

Tim - MUCH better, sadly probably not enough better. Hoping he stays. He is so cute.

Andrew - Slightly on the boring side. I know he can do better.

Not sure which one I want in the top 6 -

Alex - Much better, he needs to wow us if he gets another chance.

Aaron - He can sing. To me better than Archie, but I'm not just not that entertained. Needs to step it up.

Hopefully will leave us:

Jermaine & Todrick - I know they are both very talented guys, I just think they are trying waaaay toooo hard.

A Capn2Patch original

Posted by Corvis on 03-04-10 at 01:33 PM
No one had a great performance.

They all get a meh. I didn't want to rewind and watch anyone a second time. It was nice to see Alex and Lee turn in decent performances. But the best guy was about as good as the number 6 girl.

Posted by zazzy on 03-04-10 at 02:14 PM
I love that your sig pic is someone who didn't make the top 12 her year and yet is better than so many of the contestants this year.

Posted by Corvis on 03-04-10 at 03:58 PM
Exactly.

Posted by blacknwhitedog on 03-08-10 at 08:54 PM
I went back and listened to the guys singles on iTunes- i think Alex Lambert will win the whole thing