URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 2838
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"AI9 Pimpage Report"

Posted by Snidget on 02-10-10 at 07:19 PM
We usually keep a record of such things. Both who gets what story in the media outside of AI and things like who gets the last to sing spot once the performance shows start.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"TV Guide."
Posted by Snidget on 02-10-10 at 07:23 PM
I don't remember them promoting people during Hollywood week before although they usually have at least one or two news stories that only discuss some of the contestants.

So who is in the TV Guide before they announce the top 24?

Andrew Garcia. Mentions the Gang story
Katelyn Epperly. Parents split story
Chris Golightly. The 25 foster home story
Janelle Wheeler. Ex girlfriend of Tim Tebow.
Tyler Grady. Busted wrists, their tie trying out.
John Park. Shania's Bottom End comment.
Jermaine Sellers. Church singer.
Ashley Rodrigues. Performed with Chaka Kahn and Paula Cole.

"RE: TV Guide."
Posted by Belle Book on 02-10-10 at 08:47 PM
Ashley performed with Chaka Khan? She must've been pretty good then! Hopefully she'll go far!

"RE: AI9 Pimpage Report"
Posted by zazzy on 02-11-10 at 07:54 PM
Hey Snidget, just sticking my toe in the water of AI9...and fast forwarded through much of last night's show. I just ff to the singing parts.

One group stood out to me compared to the rest.

The show is like a magic trick...almost like they are saying "look over here at this made for tv ratings drama and all the while we slip in the ones we really like. We have them in the show but we don't want you to really get behind them yet. We have story arcs that have to be put in place."

How do these people wind up in a group? And only three in the group? I'm hypothesizing that AI "helps" some of the contestants be in groups together.

The group that I think all will be in the top 12:

Middle C: Janelle Wheeler, Jermaine Purifory, Casey James

But there were other groups that featured people who got spotlighted on Tuesday.

From the Tuesday show I noticed these people were spotlighted:

Katie Stevens --the one Kara called out on Wednesday as a potential winner --is this an F3 player ala Danny Gokey -- last year's you-could-be-the-winner? Or F2 since Danny was supposed to be their F2? (part of Three Men and a Baby)

Halley Vaughan -- countryish pop (group ?)

Lilly Scott -- "refreshing, unique" (group ?)

Crystal Bowersox --"infectious" (group ?)

Janelle Wheeler (part of Middle C)

Andrew Garcia -- sang Paula's straight up, rearranged (part of Three Men and a Baby)

Michael Lynche -- huge baby storyline (part of Team Awesome)

Tim Urban --Simon says: "he's got the voice" (part of Team Awesome)

Casey James --take your shirt off guy (part of Middle C)

In a few weeks we'll see how well my radar is working this year.

Posted by zazzy on 02-11-10 at 07:56 PM
P.S. Andrew and Janelle synch up with the TVG story.

I also had Ashley Rodrigez and Toddrick Hall on my list but their spotlight wasn't much on Tuesday IIRC. And the waitress named Didi? Simon liked her.

Posted by Snidget on 02-11-10 at 07:59 PM
Hard to know if they specifically put the chosen ones together or if there is a natural tendency for people on a similar trajectory to end up connecting more than other folks.

I mean people who feel they are being pushed aside or used as fodder are not that likely to hang out and befriend the people who seem to be getting extras like videos of their home and other get to know them stuff. Surely they don't do the whole package thing, IMO for all 181 in Hollywood plus whoever else they want to use during the auditions that doesn't make it that far.

Posted by zazzy on 02-11-10 at 08:06 PM
I haven't researched it yet but seeing Middle C last night ...rang a bell in my mind...were Elliot and Chris D in the same group Hollywood week their season?

And who was Kris in a group with last season...seems like it was someone else who was top 10/12.

I don't tend to watch much before the last night of Hollywood so I've ignored the early pimping...ah, how early it starts.

Posted by zazzy on 02-11-10 at 08:13 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-13-10 AT 05:01 PM (EST)

OK, so far: Kris w/ Matt G:

1) "White Chocolate" : Matt Giraud, India Morrison, Kris Allen and Justin Williams - I Want You Back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJFZ3ZQepao&feature=related

2) But not so Elliot--he had the big story--conflict with one of the Brittenham twins, Terrell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfjMMl61GJE

3) It was Chris Daughtry with Ace Young! They sang "Emotion" in their group in Hollywood week.

4) Adam Lambert with Michael Saver, Matt Breizke and Jesse Langseth--"some Kind Of Wonderful"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj-Z454g3xU

So we have another 2 of 4 here--Adam and Michael, and IIRC, Matt B was the guy who did the sing off with Sarver and Sarver made it through. Jesse L was sooo close to going through, but Simon pulled for quirky Megan instead.

I think there is a correlation--it will be interesting to track this year's top 12 to see who were in groups together in Hollywood week.

Posted by zazzy on 02-17-10 at 07:28 PM
I took some notes on last night's show for future pimpage reporting...but wanted to note that they did some not so subtle pimping of Katie Stevens.

When they told us the contestants were separated into rooms, the first name was Katie Stevens.

Then during the repetition of telling us the contestants were in three rooms they told us who else was in the room with Katie Stevens.

And we were reminded that Randy called her a great natural talent.

And after they told room #1 (like come on, would room #1 ever not go through to the next round? They are #1's after all) that they were going through, Katie was the first of the names they reminded us that was getting to go through and moreover, the last clip from that room was Katie Stevens telling us how this impacted her: "Woooo, this is the BEST day EVER". Feel like I'll see that clip again. And again.

Katie for one of the top 24 pimp spots. And she hasn't even "made" the top 24 yet. ;)

Posted by zazzy on 02-17-10 at 07:33 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-17-10 AT 07:34 PM (EST)

Also to note:

they revealed 7 of the top 24 in the second hour of last night's show. 7 in one hour, yet in tonight's show we'll get 17 more and some of the No's...so how many of the 7 will make the top 24?

Also, clearly room #1 was stacked with their favs...they spent a lot of the first hour on room 1's contestants, then showed us the problems with room 2 and then the confidence issues in room 3 (the footage of "I could have done better".

Later a recap of the top 24 picks and how many were in room 1 vs room 3.

ETA the first 7:

Aaron Kelly, Sonestown PA
Casey James, Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
Toddrick Hall, Plainview TX

Lee DeWyze, Chicago IL
Michael Lynche, Astoria NY

Katelyn Epperly, West Des Moines IA
Vered Didi Benami, Los Angeles CA

"And then there were 24"
Posted by zazzy on 02-17-10 at 11:31 PM
We can split these top 24 into 4 groups:

1) first night spotlight(7)
2) second night spotlight (8)
3) second night quick yes/no spotlight (8)
4) no pimpage whatsoever but made the top 24 (1)

First night spotlight:

Lee DeWyze, Chicago IL

Second night spotlight:

Tyler Grady, Nazereth PA spotlight second night
Andrew Garcia, Moreno Valley, CA spotlight second night…last guy to find out

Lacey Brown, Amarillo TX spotlight second night
Crystal Bowersox. Chicago IL spotlight second night
Haeley Vaughn, Fort Collins, CO spotlight second night…last girl to find out
Lilly Scott Denver/Boulder CO spotlight second night
Janelle Wheeler, Tampa FL spotlight second night
Katie Stevens. Middlebury CT spotlight second night

Second night quick yes:

Alex Lambert, North Richland Hills, TX quick yes
Paige Miles, Houston TX quick yes
Jermaine Sellers, Joliet IL quick yes
John Park, Northbrook IL quick yes
Joe Muńoz, Los Angeles CA quick yes
Ashley Rodriguez, Boston MA quick yes
Siobhan Magnus, Cape Cod MA quick yes
Michelle Delamor, Miami Beach FL quick yes

In the top 24 but not even a quick yes:
Tim Urban

Other observations:

--The girls as a group got pimped--several comments about how strong the girls were this season. Gee, wonder what that means?

--There were no singoffs this year to get into the top 24.

--Lacey Brown's singing was used as background music for three contestants being told they made it to the top 24.

--Simon asks Katie Stevens about her grandmother. Her grandmother has Alzheimers. Did you know about her grandmother?Be sure to connect her backstory about her grandmother with her--the cameras even went to her grandmothers to film her walking with Katie, so it's supposed to tug at our heartstrings.

FWIW, Katie Stevens, Crystal Bowersoz, Todrick and Michael Lynch were arranged to be standing next to Ryan as he gave the parting comments for the night.

Funky seems to be a theme this year--they played "Hallelujah" as they showed clips at the end. Shades of Jason Castro!

"RE: And then there were 24"
Posted by zazzy on 02-18-10 at 10:10 AM
Update: read on idolforums that there were sing offs-one was Tim Urban and Jon Parks.

Knowing now about their plan to have Chris Golightly in the top 24 and his later dismissal and replacement with Tim Urban, showing a sing off with Jon Parks winning and Tim Urban losing would not make any sense.

Yet, their closed captioning was not edited:

beawasherexo at idol forums posted--

"Were there sing offs this year?
My closed captions on the tv said "Tim Urban and John Park go head-to-head" (even though Ryan didn't say it)."

"RE: And then there were 24"
Posted by Snidget on 02-22-10 at 04:56 PM
I do not know what the schedule for closed captioning is but I don't think they usually do it live so any change a day or two before air date may not be worth the time or money to get that redone.

I know they can do it live, but I've seen a lot of shows that seem to have things that were in the script but didn't make the final cut.

Posted by zazzy on 02-22-10 at 04:44 PM
People.com has pics of the contestants they think are the top 10:

1.Casey James
2.Katie Stevens
3.Andrew Garcia
4.Haeley Vaughn
5.Tyler Grady
6.Lilly Scott
7.Todrick Hall
8.Crystal Bowersox
9.Aaron Kelly
10.Janell Wheeler

www.people.com

compare to TVGuide:

Andrew Garcia--both lists
Janelle Wheeler -- both lists
Tyler Grady -- both lists

Katelyn Epperly
John Park
Jermaine Sellers
Ashley Rodrigues

Chris Golightly -- booted from the show

Posted by zazzy on 02-22-10 at 09:13 PM
The motherlode of pimpage reporting!

Idolwatcher 1 on idolforums posted this comprehensive report:

"I am posting this for people to use as reference and see the approximate order of who has been given the most airtime prior to the voting rounds.

Michael Lynche - original audition/backstory, first Hollywood round/extra footage, group performance clip/extra footage, last Hollywood performance round, recap of first & last Hollywood round.
Andrew Garcia - original audition/backstory, first Hollywood round/recap of backstory, group performance clip, last Hollywood performance round, recap of backstory/first Hollywood performance.
Casey James - original audition/backstory, first Hollywood round/quick recap, group performance clip, last Hollywood performance round, recap of backstory/original audition/first Hollywood round.
Aaron Kelly - original audition/backstory, last Hollywood performance round/recap of backstory, clip of first Hollywood round/group performance/recap of last Hollywood performance round.
Haeley Vaughn - original audition/backstory, first Hollywood round/quick recap, group performance clip, last Hollywood performance round, recap of last Hollywood performance round.
Didi Benami - original audition/backstory, first Hollywood round/quick recap, recap of first Hollywood round & backstory, last Hollywood performance round.
Katie Stevens - original audition/backstory, first Hollywood round/recap of backstory, group performance clip, recap of backstory & first Hollywood performance.
Janell Wheeler - clip of original audition, first Hollywood round, group performance clip, last Hollywood performance round, recap of original audition/first Hollywood round/last Hollywood round.
Todrick Hall - original audition, extra footage/group performance clip, last Hollywood performance round, recap of original audition/backstory.
Crystal Bowersox - clip of original audition, first Hollywood round/backstory, last Hollywood performance round, recap of first Hollywood round.
Katelyn Epperly - original audition/backstory, clip of first Hollywood round, last Hollywood performance round.
Jermaine Sellers - original audition/backstory, group performance clip, last Hollywood performance round.
Lacey Brown - original audition/backstory, recap of backstory/last Hollywood performance round.
Tyler Grady - original audition/backstory, recap of original audition, last Hollywood performance round.
Lee Dewyze - clip of original audition, group performance clip, last Hollywood performance round, recap of last Hollywood round.
Ashley Rodriguez - original audition, group performance clip, last Hollywood performance round.
Alex Lambert - group performance clip, recap of first Hollywood round/extra footage, last Hollywood performance round.
Lilly Scott - first Hollywood round, last Hollywood performance round, recap of first and last Hollywood performance round.
*Timothy Urban - clip of original audition/first Hollywood round, group performance clip.
Siobhan Magnus - extra footage/group performance clip, quick recap/last Hollywood performance round.
John Park - original audition/backstory.
Jose Munoz - last Hollywood performance round.
Michelle Delamor - group performance clip.
Paige Miles - extra footage/

original audition aired in normal form (with backstory):
Aaron Kelly - original audition/backstory
Andrew Garcia - original audition/backstory
Casey James - original audition/backstory
Didi Benami - original audition/backstory
Haeley Vaughn - original audition/backstory
Jermaine Sellers - original audition/backstory
John Park - original audition/backstory
Katelyn Epperly - original audition/backstory
Katie Stevens - original audition/backstory
Lacey Brown - original audition/backstory
Michael Lynche - original audition/backstory
Tyler Grady - original audition/backstory

original audition aired in normal form (without backstory):
Ashley Rodriguez - original audition
Todrick Hall - original audition

original audition aired in abbreviated form:
Lee Dewyze - clip of original audition (19 seconds)
*Timothy Urban - clip of original audition (12 seconds)
Janell Wheeler - clip of original audition (12 seconds)
Crystal Bowersox - clip of original audition (10 seconds)

original audition not aired in any form yet:
Alex Lambert
Jose Munoz
Lilly Scott
Michelle Delamor
Paige Miles
Siobhan Magnus"

Posted by Estee on 02-23-10 at 08:57 AM
So in a season where the popular belief states AI is trying to get a female winner, the four people with the most pre-competition airtime are all males.

Either we're all wrong or this show really can't do anything right.

Posted by zazzy on 02-23-10 at 09:19 AM
Not necessarily....imo they are trying to make sure their casting choices are noticed and get the votes when the semifinals start. They have certain guys in mind to be on the tour.

Posted by zazzy on 02-23-10 at 08:07 AM
LAST EDITED ON 02-23-10 AT 08:09 AM (EST)

Idolwatcher 1 on idolforums.com also tallied the airtime for last season's contestants--nice to have a comparison for this year:

"Ok, I found the write-up from last season's finalists... This was the breakdown of minutes/seconds of featured airtime and singing time...

You'll notice that each of the contestants who got one of the three pimp spots in the Semifinals, ALSO recieved the most featured airtime in their respective semifinal groups (minus Tatiana Del Toro and Nick Mitchell, who were not featured as serious contenders for the title of American Idol)...

Featured airtime prior to the Semifinals:
Danny Gokey - 643 seconds (10 minutes 42 seconds)
Michael Sarver - 532 seconds (8 minutes 52 seconds)
Adam Lambert - 457 seconds (7 minutes 37 seconds)
Lil Rounds - 406 seconds (6 minutes 46 seconds)
Jasmine Murray - 388 seconds (6 minutes 28 seconds)
Scott MacIntyre - 382 seconds (6 minutes 22 seconds)
Alexis Grace - 311 seconds (5 minutes 11 seconds)
Matt Giraud - 301 seconds (5 minutes 1 second)
Anoop Desai - 253 seconds (4 minutes 13 seconds)
Megan Joy - 209 seconds (3 minutes 29 seconds)
Jorge Nunez - 181 seconds (3 minutes 1 second)
Allison Iraheta - 125 seconds (2 minutes 5 seconds)
Kris Allen - 101 seconds (1 minute 41 seconds)

Featured solo singing time prior to the Semifinals:
Danny Gokey - 174 seconds singing (2 minutes 54 seconds)
Michael Sarver - 121 seconds singing (2 minutes 1 second) (minus the 33 seconds from his "sing-off" = 88 seconds (1 minute 28 seconds))
Adam Lambert - 96 seconds singing (1 minute 36 seconds)
Scott MacIntyre - 95 seconds singing (1 minute 35 seconds)
Anoop Desai - 80 seconds (1 minute 20 seconds)
Matt Giraud - 78 seconds singing (1 minute 18 seconds)
Lil Rounds - 71 seconds singing (1 minute 11 seconds)
Jorge Nunez - 69 seconds singing (1 minute 9 seconds)
Jasmine Murray - 61 seconds singing (1 minute 1 second)
Alexis Grace - 46 seconds singing
Megan Joy - 32 seconds singing
Allison Iraheta - 19 seconds singing
Kris Allen - 14 seconds singing

Danny Gokey - 45:11 - (46:45-47:10 = 25 seconds singing) 48:37 = 3 minutes 26 seconds for original audition.
28:10 - (28:18-28:58 = 40 seconds singing) 29:26 = 1 minute 16 seconds for first Hollywood round.
26:43 - (27:02-27:14 & 27:27-27:32 = 12 & 5 = 17 seconds singing) 28:23 = 1 minute 40 seconds for Hollywood group round.
7:54 - (8:12-9:19 = 67 seconds singing) 9:23 = for 1 minute 29 seconds for last Hollywood round.
49:12 - (50:32-50:57 = 25 seconds singing) 52:04 = 2 minutes 52 seconds for "judges mansion" episode.
25+40+17+67+25 = 174 seconds singing (2 minutes 54 seconds).
3:26+1:16+1:40+1:29+2:52 = 643 seconds (10 minutes 42 seconds).

Michael Sarver - 48:12 - (49:15-49:47 = 32 seconds singing) 50:45 = 2 minutes 33 seconds for original audition.
34:15 - (34:43-34:56 = 13 seconds singing) 35:11 = 56 seconds for first Hollywood round.
(28:35-28:44 = 9 seconds singing) for Hollywood group round.
31:11 - (31:40-32:06 = 26 seconds singing) 32:09 = 58 seconds for last Hollywood round.
1:15:00 - (1:15:12-1:15-20 = 8 seconds singing in original audition) 1:15:58; 1:17:42 - (1:18:07-1:18:40 = 33 seconds singing in sing-off) 1:21:00 = 4 minutes 16 seconds for "judges mansion" episode.
32+13+9+26+8+33 = 121 seconds singing (2 minutes 1 second).
2:33+56+9+58+4:16 = 532 seconds (8 minutes 52 seconds).

Adam Lambert - 31:34 - (32:31-32:52 = 21 seconds singing) 34:50 = 3 minutes 16 seconds for original audition.
40:26-40:32 = 6 seconds for first Hollywood round.
(28:44-28:52 & 29:08-29:26 = 26 seconds singing) for Hollywood group round.
4:05 - (4:47-5:19 = 32 seconds singing) 5:22 = 1 minute 17 seconds for last Hollywood round.
14:10 - (14:52-15:09 = 17 seconds singing) 16:42 = 2 minutes 32 seconds for recap of last Hollywood round in "judges mansion" episode.
21+26+32+17= 96 seconds singing (1 minute 36 seconds).
3:16+6+26+1:17+2:32 = 457 seconds featured (7 minutes 37 seconds).

Lil Rounds - 1:15:28 - (1:16.38-1:17.13 = 35 seconds singing) 1:18:58 = 3 minutes 30 seconds for original audition.
4:51 - (5:04-5:23 = 19 seconds singing) 5:55 = 1 minute 4 seconds for first Hollywood round.
(12:56-13:08 = 12 seconds singing) for last Hollywood round.
35:32 - (36:20-36:25 = 5 seconds singing) 37:32 = 2 minutes for "judges mansion" episode.
35+19+12+5 = 71 seconds singing (1 minute 11 seconds).
3:30+1:04+12+2:00 = 406 seconds (6 minutes 46 seconds).

Jasmine Murray - 24:26 - (25:17-25:41 = 24 seconds singing) 26:27 = 2 minutes 1 second for original audition episode.
12:03 - (12:06-12:22 = 16 seconds singing) 12:27 = 24 seconds for first Hollywood round.
29:39 - (30:47-31:01 = 14 seconds) 33:21 = 3 minutes 42 seconds for Hollywood group round.
18:31 - (18:31-18:38 = 7 seconds singing) 18:45 = 14 seconds for last Hollywood round.
19:23-19:30 = 7 seconds for "judges mansion" episode.
24+16+14+7 = 61 seconds singing (1 minute 1 second).
2:01+24+3:42+14+7 = 388 seconds (6 minutes 28 seconds).

Scott MacIntyre - 1:18:15 - (1:20:11-1:20:49 = 38 seconds singing) 1:21:56 = 3 minutes 41 seconds for original audition.
10:42 - (10:55-11:04 & 11:16-11:43 = 9 & 27 = 36 seconds singing) 11:52 = 1 minute 10 seconds for last Hollywood round.
34:00 - (34:22-34:37 = 15 seconds singing in original audition recap) & (34:46-34:52 = 6 seconds singing in last Hollywood round recap) 35:31 = 1 minute 31 seconds for "judges mansion" episode.
38+36+15+6 = 95 seconds singing (1 minute 35 seconds).
3:41+1:10+1:31 = 382 seconds (6 minutes 22 seconds).

Alexis Grace - 26:19 - (27:39-27:59 = 20 seconds singing) 29:45 = 3 minutes 26 seconds for original audition.
(18:13-18:21 = 8 seconds singing) for last Hollywood round.
32:22 - (33:05-33:23 = 18 seconds singing in first Hollywood round recap) 33:59 = 1 minute 37 seconds for "judges mansion" episode.
20+8+18 = 46 seconds singing
3:26+8+1:37 = 311 seconds (5 minutes 11 seconds).

Matt Giraud - 17:41 - (18:15-18:40 = 25 seconds singing) 19:51 = 2 minutes 10 seconds for original audition.
19:49 - (20:09-20:18 = 9 seconds singing) 21:20 = 1 minute 31 seconds for Hollywood group round.
5:23 - (5:38-6:22 = 44 seconds singing) 6:39 = 1 minute 16 seconds for last Hollywood round.
55:40-55:44 = 4 seconds for "judges mansion" episode.
25+9+44 = 78 seconds singing (1 minute 18 seconds).
2:10+1:31+1:16+4 = 301 seconds (5 minutes 1 second).

Anoop Desai - 49:56 - (50:32-51:09 = 37 seconds singing) 52:22 = 2 minutes 26 seconds for original audition.
11:44 - (11:48-12:02 = 14 seconds singing) 12:02 = 18 seconds for first Hollywood round.
10:12 - (10:16-10:31 = 15 seconds singing) 10:31 = 19 seconds for last Hollywood round.
3:15 - (3:32-3:46 = 14 seconds singing in Hollywood group round) 4:25 = 1 minute 10 seconds for "judges mansion" episode.
37+14+15+14 = 80 seconds (1 minute 20 seconds).
2:26+18+19+1:10 = 253 seconds (4 minutes 13 seconds).

Megan Joy - 19:29 - (21:00-21:32 = 32 seconds singing) 22:54 = 3 minutes 25 seconds for original audition.
19:41-19:45 = 4 seconds for "judges mansion" episode.
32 seconds singing.
3:25+4 = 209 seconds (3 minutes 29 seconds).

Jorge Nunez - 5:41 - (6:13-6:49 & 7:01-7:13 = 36 & 12 = 48 seconds singing) 8:06 = 2 minutes 25 seconds for original audition.
16:03 - (16:05-16:18 = 13 seconds singing) 16:24 = 21 seconds for first Hollywood round.
10:31 - (10:34-10:42 = 8 seconds singing) 10:42 = 11 seconds for last Hollywood round.
55:48-55:52 = 4 seconds for "judges mansion" episode.
48+13+8 = 69 seconds singing (1 minute 9 seconds).
2:25+21+11+4 = 181 seconds (3 minutes 1 second).

Allison Iraheta - (29:13-29:19 = 6 seconds singing) for original audition.
47:12 - (47:30-47:43 = 13 seconds singing) 49:11 = 1 minute 59 seconds for "judges mansion" episode.
6+13 = 19 seconds singing.
6+1:59 = 125 seconds (2 minutes 5 seconds).

Kris Allen - (37:31-37:36 = 5 seconds singing) for original audition.
19:49 - (20:19-20:28) = 9 seconds singing) 21:20 = 1 minute 31 seconds for Hollywood group round.
1:13:43-1:13:48 = 5 seconds for "judges mansion" episode.
5+9 = 14 seconds singing
5+1:31+5 = 101 seconds (1 minute 41 seconds)."

ETA: Danny, Adam, Lil were the three who got the pimp spots in the semifinals last year.

Posted by zazzy on 02-23-10 at 08:30 AM
For reference: last season's pimpage thread: http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID44/2709.shtml

And for recap of how pimping happens to portend some of the finishers of the season:

2009--the last four to sing this week in the top ten were:

7. Lil
8. Adam --second place--
9. Danny --third place--
10. Allison --fourth place--

The last four to sing top ten week in 2008 were:

7. Carly Smithson
8. David Archuleta --second place--
9. Kristy Lee Cook
10. David Cook --Winner--

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID44/2430.shtml

The last four to sing top ten week in 2007 were:

7 Melinda --third--
8 Blake --second--
9 Jordin --Winner--
10 Chris R

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID44/2150.shtml

"Top 24 girls pimpage report"
Posted by zazzy on 02-24-10 at 01:56 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-24-10 AT 02:14 PM (EST)

Singing order:

1 Paige
2 Ashley
3 Janell
4 Lilly
5 Katelyn
6 Haley
7 Lacey
8 Michelle
9 Didi
10 Siobhan
11 Crystal
12 Katie --pimp spot--

Pimping/depimping:

Girls overall were pimped when Ryan reminded us it was the year for a girl to win.

Katie got a double pimp with a red couch interview after Lacey sang and got the pimp spot to close the show. Katie is a lock for the top 12.

Paige got pimped when Simon told us that Paige had the best voice of all the female contestants and I have yet to read one opinion that matches Simon's. No one agrees with his assertion. Could the sound in the studio be so different from the sound over the TV? All the judges agreed with Simon that Paige had a great voice. Maybe they were trying to compensate for her going first and lack of pre top 24 airtime. Yet Ryan depimps her by having her tell that she has to pee. Thanks, Ryan. (eyeroll)

Ashley: Kara told her she would go forward

Janell: low key pimpage: Simon told her she would be ok; Randy liked her voice, Ellen likes her.

Lilly: "best so far" pimpage by Simon; Kara told her she was memorable

Katelyn: Simon said he likes her and Ellen told her she had an amazing voice

Haeley: Ellen--stage presence; hot mess

Lacey: Simon--nice eyes (if this doesn't say she's going home then what does? That was a sorority rush comment if I've ever heard one.)

Michelle: they told her she would make it to next week, that she's a professional singer (Simon) that she is commercial (Kara) amazing, fantastic (Ellen) looks fantastic (Simon)

Didi: good singer, good voice (Simon), great voice (Simon)

Siobhan: quirky, feel the connection, real (Kara), funny little thing (Simon)

Crystal: one of my favs, likes her (Randy), a fan, fresh (Ellen), likes her, she's refreshing (Simon), good, will be here next year, er, week (Kara)

Katie: red couch interview and pimp spot; natural gift/big chops (Kara) good/great (Ellen) like Jordin Sparks (Randy)

More on the depimps later.

"RE: Top 24 girls pimpage report"
Posted by zazzy on 02-24-10 at 07:57 PM
Top 12 girls depimpage:

Paige--wedding singer type song (Simon); not a great song selection (Randy); reveals that she has to pee (Ryan)

Ashley--wasn't really you (Randy); should do a different vibe/take a risk (Ellen); clumsy, no originality; not looking like a contemporary artist, you could be in trouble (Simon)

Janell-- you gave it 100 percent effort and delivered 65 percent; you went off key (Simon); song is too big for you (Kara); bring something unique, original (Randy)

Lilly -- not feeling star power from you, could be nerves, people on the internet doing what you do (Simon); Simon and Kara talking while Ryan trying to converse with Lilly after she sings--distractions starting with the first performances.

Katelyn-- parts where you were beginning to scream the song (Simon); makeover is not helping you (Kara);

Haley --vocally technical issues (Kara); high notes not pleasing (Randy); verging on terrible, like a wind up doll that never stopped smiling and vocals all over the place complete and utter mess one minute a country singer and one minute this wasn’t very good (Simon) Ryan asks for discussion and Ellen saves the discussion by calling Haley a hot mess.

Lacey--not the right song for you, thought that was terrible and pitchy all over the place (Randy); I think you are better than that some moments where you were off (Ellen); thought it was depressing after 15 seconds, kinda indulgent, get the feeling that you are trying to work out who you are, it was boring (Simon)

Michelle--the only thing for you was it was safe(Ellen); I didn’t think wow, it's trying to do something with you that makes you different (Simon); there were moments it wasn’t great (Kara); it was a tough song, you have a lot more in you take some risks, show what no one has shown yet (Randy)

Didi --here is my problem --too many people trying to sound like the same person, a bit indulgent, the song was dreary, missing a spark want something that excites me do like you (Simon); you have to be remembered... no one going to go another level? (Simon, stepping on Kara's positive comments); where's the star factor, wheres the outward umpf, so sleepy for me (Randy); if you were doing a show and its one song in a set great voice great look but first impression it was low key (Ellen) Then Ryan and Simon discuss further and Simon, for a third time, -- it's like your first kiss, it's got to be something you'll remember; I am different, unique, and a star. rather than indulging yourself. (Harsh imo)

Siobhan-- wouldn’t have picked it; gets a little nasal (Kara); you are a funny little thing, don't know what you will do every time, you were more memorable with Stevie Wonder song, why did you choose that song (Chris Issak) (Simon)

Crystal --not sure it’s the right song (Randy); there are thousands of you I wouldn’t stop in my tracks and say you are the most original artist; Alanis Morrisette sound a like for you; tens of thousands of girls like you (Simon)

Katie -- it was conservative; I want to see you be 17 and be current fresh and modern; it felt old for you (Ellen) he agrees; it's like your mom and da had given you the song; it started to become annoying; I've heard this performance many times; very pagenty (Simon); you couldn’t hear yourself ; I've never heard you be pitchy (Kara) what it really was you were pushing so hard all the notes were going sharp; be young, be 17 (Randy)

After reviewing last night's negative comments, the judges had one thing to say over and over--be unique, something different. They want more of what Kris and Adam did a lot of last season. As Michael Slezak put it, a Chris Daughtry doing a good rendition of songs like in season 5 no longer cuts it on AI. They want more from their winners.

"Top 24--top 12 guys"
Posted by zazzy on 02-25-10 at 01:40 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-25-10 AT 01:43 PM (EST)

Oh my. Last night wasn't good and right now I don't feel like reliving the trainwrecks.

Here's a quick snapshot of how it went with the judges--and then Simon's comments in the order that they performed:

1. Todrick -- negative

Simon: "you came over as a dancer trying to sing rather than a singer who’s trying to dance; you completely murdered the original song, verging on stupid what you did"

2. Aaron -- positive

Simon: "for your first live performance, actually quite good performance; you look as though you are embarrassed to be here and not confident to be here; good singer, very likeable, cute not as good a song as Angels, you have to take control of the song not a memorable song like Angels self confidence 100 percent be here next week" (Anyone think Aaron will sing Angels before the this season's over?)

Plus Ryan pimped him, too, with discussion and "good job, buddy"

3. Jermaine -- negative

Simon: "it’s the kind of song /piano in a coctail bar then when you were tyring to oversing it, it sounded like you were screaming, didn’t work, so over the top, think you have blown your opportunity

4. Tim -- slammed -- more than negative, totally buried with negativity.

Simon: "congrats for coming back, we made the right decision for not putting you through, nothing to take from that (performance,) vocals were weak, version was weak, not a natural performer, people may feel sorry for you, not good enough" Also said the audience was trying to leave during Tim's performance. Nasty Simon.

5. Joe -- mixed/ Simon - negative

Simon: "you have to get out of the bubble of this show; I don’t believe you are the kind of artist who can sell records all over the world, you failed to show us you have the potential to be a star; safe, comfortable performance; you need steel in your eyes to tell us you have potential; limp, forgettable"

6. Tyler -- negative

Simon: facial expression not happy. On the plus side, people are going to remember that performance, but the down side partly for the wrong reasons. You come across as pretending to be a rock star school; not enough time spent on your vocals or it will be too predictable"

7. Lee -- mixed/positive with glowing from Simon

Simon: "Lee, this was the best performace; totally. this guy is a naturally good singer. I fought for you, believe in yourself, do what David Cook did take a song and make it your version of it; you have an authentically good voice; you will do well in this competition."

8. Jon -- negative ex ellen

Simon: " uh, you have got to have an incredible voice to take on that song and you haven't got an incredible voice-- very flat, zero emotion, it didn’t come over like that at all, pointless performance, copy cat Michael Buble, flat"

9 Michael -- mixed

Simon: "you were the support act before the main act; big guy, big heart, vague jazzy version. You have to nail a song and make people listen to you as an artist; you are better than that; you are going to regret it when you watch it back"

10. Alex -- negative

Simon: "Alex, who was happier for that to end you or me? That was the most uncomfortable performance of the night, staring into the camera because you were told to do it; you’ve got a good voice, don’t call me sir, call me Simon; get your nerves under control; get this back together again"

11. Casey -- postive/ glowing

Simon: "I understand we were both cursed with good looks; you have to manage the talent thing as well; you choose the right song, honest, sincere, likeable, the cougar likes you. I do think this was the best performance of your singing since you’ve been in the competition"

Ryan also gave a humorous pimp to Casey by asking Kara about looking forward to his performance.

12. Andrew -- negative

Simon: Andrew, I was looking forward to hearing you more than anyone else. I was disappointed with that, too indulgent, too serious, not original enough. When you did the Paula song it made you stand out. I never heard it before; you didn’t take a risk tonight, great story, nice guy, fantastic recording voice; you have to do better"

"RE: Top 24--top 12 guys"
Posted by zazzy on 02-25-10 at 01:58 PM
BTW, did anyone else notice how much Simon went first in giving comments last night? Seems like the girls night the judges kept rotating who went first.

Here's who gave comments first:
1. Todrick -Ellen
2. Aaron --Simon
3. Jermaine -- Ellen
4. Tim --Simon
5. Joe --Ellen
6. Tyler --Simon
7. Lee --Ellen
8. Jon -- Simon
9 Michael -- Ellen
10. Alex --Simon
11. Casey --Kara
12. Andrew --Simon

And, of course, Andrew had the pimp spot.

"RE: Top 24--top 12 guys"
Posted by Estee on 02-25-10 at 02:13 PM
Now that's interesting... It looks like they're trying to get Ellen established as having a meaningful voice (which won't work until she says something meaningful), decided the last shred of Randy's credibility finally died, and only went to Kara when they could use her for comedy value.

Posted by zazzy on 02-27-10 at 01:05 PM
A recap of who is still in the comp of the first 7 to make it to the top 24:

Lee DeWyze, Chicago IL

Well, well, well, we have 100% still in. Big surprise.

And from the People.com top 10:

1.Casey James
2.Katie Stevens
3.Andrew Garcia
4.Haeley Vaughn
5.Tyler Grady-->booted
6.Lilly Scott
7.Todrick Hall
8.Crystal Bowersox
9.Aaron Kelly
10.Janell Wheeler--->booted

20% gone already and we aren't to the top 12 yet.

TVGuide:

Andrew Garcia--both lists
Janelle Wheeler -- both lists-->booted
Tyler Grady -- both lists-->booted

Katelyn Epperly
John Park
Jermaine Sellers
Ashley Rodrigues---> booted

Chris Golightly---> didn't make the top 24

TV Guide doesn't have a good track record at this point.

"Phil Stacey and Chris Sligh on pimpage"
Posted by Snidget on 02-28-10 at 03:38 PM
USAToday

Thought I'd put this article here as it discusses some of the same things we talk about here.

Here are the things they discuss

1. Listen for blanket statements about entire groups.
2. Listen for catchphrases from the judges.
3. Listen for vocal effects.
4. Count the lighting changes.
5. Pay attention to the mentors' comments.
6. Pay attention to performance order.

"RE: Phil Stacey and Chris Sligh on pimpage"
Posted by zazzy on 02-28-10 at 04:11 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-10 AT 04:12 PM (EST)

Heh. They've been reading the board. Oh, wait, they lived it!

Love this section:

"3. Listen for vocal effects. If the producers are pushing the girls, you can sometimes hear it in the singers' voices. "On a couple of girls, you'll hear reverb, delay," Phil says. "All the guys will be dry."

"Or, like they did with me on Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, they'll put a delay that is off-rhythm," adds Chris."

We have an even longer list...I outlined it last year in this thread:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID44/2709.shtml

Posts # 76-80

"RE: Phil Stacey and Chris Sligh on pimpage"
Posted by Snidget on 02-28-10 at 04:26 PM
Nice to see the insiders who lived it see the same stuff we think is going on.

Posted by zazzy on 03-02-10 at 05:53 PM
How have the contestants who got semifinals pimp spots fared?

Found this on idolforums, posted by Andrew Lavigne:

-------------------------

"S1: Christopher, Justin, Christina, Angela

S2: Julia, Jennifer, George, Corey, Trenyce

S3: Fantasia, Marisa, LaToya, Tiara, Jennifer

S4: Mario, Aloha, Bo, Vonzell, Anwar, Jessica

S5: Katharine, Taylor, Mandisa, Chris, Kellie, Ace

S6: Phil, LaKisha, Sundance, Sabrina, Chris S, Melinda

S7: Michael, Carly, David A, Asia'h, Chikezie, Syesha

S8: Danny, Adam, Lil, Anoop

33 out of 42 pimped contestants have made it to the final. Only two winners have emerged: Fantasia and Taylor.

But most did pretty well on the show, those who made to the Top 6: Justin, Christina, Trenyce, Fantasia, LaToya, Bo, Vonzell, Taylor, Katharine, Chris, Kellie, Melinda, LaKisha, Phil, David A, Syesha, Carly, Adam, Danny, Anoop, Lil.

That's 21 out of 42... half of them! An average of 2-4 contestants made it to Top 6 every year... exception for S2, where only Trenyce made it, but let's not forget that Ruben and Clay got the pimp spot consecutively for weeeeeeks in a row when they made it to the final."

------------------------

Note that from season 3 through season 8, at least 2 of the top 4 finalists for each season had a semifinals pimp spot:

3: Fantasia (1), LaToya (4)
4: Bo (2), Vonzell (3)
5: Katherine (2), Taylor (1), Chris (4)
6: LaKisha (4), Melinda (3)
7: David A (2), Syesha (3)
8: Danny(4), Adam (2)

and season 9: TBD

Posted by zazzy on 03-04-10 at 08:21 AM
Data we have in each of the pimpage threads on singing order and eliminations but nicely summarized into one thread for all the seasons by idolwatcher 1 at idolforums:

http://idolforums.com/index.php?showtopic=640765

"Top 16 pic"
Posted by zazzy on 03-08-10 at 11:27 AM
This can't be a coincidence, can it? Nah, it's AI:

Check out the top 16 pic:

http://streetsense.sosugary.com/displayimage.php?album=245&pos=2

Who is right in the center of the pic? These 7 contestants:

Siobhan
Alex
Katie
Lee
Casey
Lilly
Crystal

Who is sitting on the the fringes on either side?

Tim
Didi
Lacey
Paige

Neither fringe or center placement:

Michael
Todrick
Aaron
Katelyn
Andrew--tilted toward the center, though

"RE: Top 16 pic"
Posted by zazzy on 03-08-10 at 11:32 AM
BTW:

Siobhan --pimp spot top 20
Alex
Katie --pimp spot top 24
Lee --pimp spot top 20
Casey
Lilly
Crystal
Andrew--tilted toward the center --pimp spot top 24

I'll take Alex and Lilly/Crystal for the pimp spot this week--unless--they think Paige needs it so she makes the top 12.

Posted by zazzy on 03-11-10 at 06:22 PM
Yup, we got Lilly for the pimp spot this week and Michael instead of Alex because a) Alex wasn't good enough for the pimp spot? and b) they really want to make sure Michael makes the top 12.

So to recap:

Siobhan --pimp spot top 20
Alex --no pimp spot yet
Katie --pimp spot top 24
Lee --pimp spot top 20
Casey --no pimp spot yet
Lilly --pimp spot top 16
Crystal --no pimp spot yet
Andrew--tilted toward the center --pimp spot top 24

So 5 of the 8 in the center of the pic have gotten pimp spots and the three who haven't have been really praised by Simon.

Posted by zazzy on 03-08-10 at 11:38 AM
Top 16 guys pic:

http://streetsense.sosugary.com/displayimage.php?album=245&pos=1

Once again, in the center: Casey, Alex, Andrew, Lee

Top 16 girls pic:

http://streetsense.sosugary.com/displayimage.php?album=245&pos=0

Center: Lilly, Katelyn, Siobhan, Katie

"Simon on the Tonight Show pimpage"
Posted by zazzy on 03-09-10 at 09:33 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-09-10 AT 09:37 AM (EST)

Read at mjsbigblog that Simon pimped Crystal big time on last night's Tonight Show--link to vids:

http://mjsbigblog.com/simon-cowell-the-tonight-show-with-jay-leno-video.htm#more-20234

ETA: this is pimpage move #5 on the list I created on last year's pimpage thread. I said that "early into the top 12" the judges are on talk shows pimping their favs. Looks like Simon couldn't wait for the top 12 to start. ;)

"RE: Simon on the Tonight Show pimpage"
Posted by zazzy on 03-09-10 at 05:30 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-09-10 AT 05:33 PM (EST)

Finally watched the Simon vids from last night with Jay Leno and, lol, Jay starts off asksing Simon, "so, you're down to the final twelve..." And Simon said "yes!".

Hey Simon, there are still 16 people playing the AI game!

He's just a week ahead in his casting brain. Nice to know Crystal is a lock.

MTV article about his appearance:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1633485/20100309/index.jhtml?rsspartner=rssTwitterFeed

Yes, Simon brings his fiance on stage and kisses her.

"On the flip side, the sharp-tongued Brit mentioned that he was a fan of Crystal Bowersox, the mother from Ohio who bounced back from illness last week to deliver a stirring rendition of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Long as I Can See the Light."

"I tell you who I like, I like this girl Crystal," Cowell said. "When I first saw her, I described her as a busker, and I liked the way she handled that, because she admitted that's what she was. But she's got some confidence now. She was ill, she's got over that, she's got a great voice. She's different. I like her."

"Top 20 pimpage report"
Posted by zazzy on 03-11-10 at 06:05 PM
Placeholder for the top 20 pimpage.

--a reminder to myself about Katelyn's white piano and good lighting and Lee & Casey's good lighting and graphic treatments.

"RE: Top 20 pimpage report"
Posted by frodis on 03-11-10 at 07:23 PM
Did you notice that when Tim took the stage the pattern of three spotlights behind him combined to create a star? One from the left, one from the right, one straight down - with him in the center and blocking the bottom it made a huge 5-point star.

I wouldn't have thought that he'd be a pimp candidate, but I was struck by how he was singing, framed by a giant white-light star.

"RE: Top 20 pimpage report"
Posted by zazzy on 03-11-10 at 08:52 PM
Thank you! You mean last night, right? Not the top 20 but the top 16. I noticed Tim's camera angles and lighting but not the star. I'll have to watch back, good catch!

"Top 16 pimpage report"
Posted by zazzy on 03-11-10 at 06:11 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-11-10 AT 06:18 PM (EST)

Quick thoughts--

There wasn't much pimpage for the girls, maybe because there wasn't that much to pimp? Comments later.

Singing order:

1. Katie
2. Siobhan
3. Lacey
4. Katelyn
5. Didi
6. Paige
7. Cyrstal
8. Lilly

The guys--interesting.

singing order:

1. Lee
2. Alex
3. Tim
4. Andrew
5. Casey
6. Aaron
7. Todrick
8. Michael --pimp spot--

Casey got the mixed pimp--which helps them have options when editing who is going to get the boot the next night. Randy was negative, Ellen postive, Kara mixed, and Simon watered down delivery of positives.

Michael--pimped, pimped and uber pimped and had the pimp spot. They need him on the tour for some energy versus the low key folksy singers they have arrayed for us this year.

Some of the guys got the judges' distracting antics going on during their comments. Lee is one I recall and I wondered, why are they distracting from him? Simon was so pimping him before.

More later.

------------

Of note--a celebrity pimp for season 9:

Elton John was on the View today. He pimped Michael Lynche, said he had the voice of an angel.

------------

A recap of the pimp spots for the semifinals:

Guys: Andrew, Lee, Michael
Girls: Katie, Siobhan, Lilly

"RE: Top 16 pimpage report"
Posted by nailbone on 03-12-10 at 04:19 PM
How often, or ever, has the person in the pimp spot gone home that week?

Posted by zazzy on 03-12-10 at 04:47 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-12-10 AT 04:56 PM (EST)

It has happened before---in the top 12.

Here is what I wrote in last year's pimpage thread, post #76, where I started to catalogue all of the show's pimpage maneuvers:

-----------

"1. The pimp spot. Singing last in the top 12 through the top 3 (or even the semifinals) is like getting a bye for the week. Go directly to the next week's competition. There have been less than a handful of exceptions to the pimp spot magic in 8 seasons. Anthony F in the top 4 in season 4,; Melinda D in the top 3 in season 6 are two that come to mind. Even so, those two were late in the game when fan bases were very strong. This season Anoop was booted after his F7, round 2 pimp spot; he was eliminated along with Lil Rounds. But the week before we had the unprecedented “save” enacted for Matt, so that changed up the usual flow of the eliminations, putting Matt’s fan base on alert to keep him around at least one more week. So Anoop got axed after Lil. Presumably, the eliminations would have been Matt at F7, Lil at F6, leaving Anoop to go at F5, so the pimp spot would have worked.

Why is the pimp spot so important? No one has ever gotten to the F4 without one, for starters. Some in the top 12 never get one, like Phil Stacey in season 6 who had a pimp spot in the semifinals but never had a pimp spot in the top 12 while Jordin Sparks got the pimp spot 3x from top 12 to top 4 that season, or this season‘s Danny Gokey who got a pimp spot in the semifinal rounds, but did not get one in the top 13, while Adam had pimp spots not only in the semifinals, and at top 8, top 5, top 4, and top 3. At least Danny advanced further than Phil, making it to F3."

-----
There are contestants who've gotten a pimp spot in the semifinals and then not made the top 12--but those have been cases of having the pimp spot in the top 20, and then having to sing early in the top 16 and not making the cut from that.

Here are some recent examples of ones who had a pimp spot at top 20 and got "booted"(didn't make the cut) at top 16, from seasons 4-7:

AI6 -- Sundance Head
AI6 -- Sabrina Sloan
AI7 -- Asia'h Epperson

Season 8 we had a different semifinals process; also a different process in the seasons 1-3.

For the full report of semifinals singing order and results--

http://idolforums.com/index.php?showtopic=596223
seminfinals contestant singing order and results; post #3 by idolwatcher 1.

Posted by Snidget on 03-12-10 at 09:53 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-12-10 AT 09:53 PM (EST)

Looked at semifinals and no one has gone home from the pimp spot the week they were pimped in this format.

I think the the only a couple move on semis there were people in the pimp spot that didn't move on from the votes, but that is a different as only a couple move on.

"RE: AI9 Pimpage Report --Top 12"
Posted by zazzy on 03-17-10 at 11:27 AM
LAST EDITED ON 03-25-10 AT 05:56 PM (EST)

First up: singing order

1. Michael Lynche – “Miss You”
2. Didi Benami – “Play with fire”
3. Casey James – “It’s All Over Now”
4. Lacey Brown – “Ruby Tuesday” --booted--
5. Andrew Garcia – “Gimme Shelter”
6. Katie Stevens – “Wild Horses”
7. Tim Urban – “Under My Thumb” --bottom 3, "safe" --
8. Siobhan Magnus – “Paint it Black”
9. Lee Dewyze – “Beast of Burden”
10. Paige Miles – “Honky Tonk Woman” --bottom 2 ---
11. Aaron Kelly – “Angie”
12. Crystal Bowersox – You Can’t Always Get What You Want”

Results night:

Andrew was set up with Tim before Tim was told he was in the bottom 3. Kara reiterates that "it wasn't good, guys"

Casey was set up with Lacey before Lacey was told she was in the bottom 3.

Lee was the first to be told he was safe.

Ryan brings up the Timberlake thing with Aaron (what?)--that's got to be pimpage--to try to connect Timberlake fans with Aaron.

Performance night:

Pimp spot: I fully expected Crystal to get the pimp spot. She didn't have it in the semifinals, and if AI were following The Chosen One script from seasons 5, 6 and 7, she would get the pimp at top 12. And to narrow it down even more, AI would be following the season 6 script where Jordin won, the last female to win AI.

TCO review; top 12 pimp spots:

S5: Chris D (TCO; didn't win; got a contract and the big investment anyway); also had pimp spot in the semifinals and top 6

S6: Jordin Sparks (TCO; S6 winner); also had the pimp spot at top 6 and top 4

S7: David Archuletta (TCO; S6 runner up; got a contract); also had pimp spots in the semifinals and top 4

Even going back to S3--Diana DeGarmo, S3 runner up, had the pimp spot at top 12, top 6, top 4, and top 3! I didn't recall till looking back on that season, but the guys only had the pimp spot one time in the top 12--George Huff at top 10--but there were only 4 guys in the top 12 that year and one of them was John Stevens.

More later on judges' comments because they were back to using scripted comments, overpraising, and more, but first some other thoughts--

1) Siobhan, red steps, dramatic lighting, Adam Lambert comparison...pimp much?

2) Ellen's expressions before Tim Urban sings--I have noticed for a couple of weeks now that Ellen is frowning before Tim even starts to sing. Frankly I was surprised she gave him praise and a hug last week, but I think that was to help keep Tim over someone else who wasn't handling the pressure well--Alex. IMO Ellen already knows what she's going to say before the contestant starts singing. I'm going to watch for her expressions before the singing starts the next few weeks.

Why do I think her hug was to help Tim stay in the comp over Alex?

Recall Simon's feedback to Tim on the top 10 guys night:
"...marked improvement on last week because he really listened to the criticism, chose a young song, went back to what they liked about him initially, more relevant than the singers who had gone before, not karaoke, impressed by his attitude, work ethic, didn't whine, got on with it, congratulations, I think you did great."

I have wondered for awhile if part of what happens in the semifinals is feedback from Birdie and Michael Orland and others behind the scenes of AI on how the contestants are to work with, who handles the pressure, who can cut it on the tour, etc.. I found Simon's comments to Tim very interesting-- especially the "not whining" comment and I think it's part of what helped him into the top 12, along with Ellen's hug at the top 8 guys performances.

We've seen in post boot interviews with Lilly what a diva/bitter attitude she had. Alex was all nerves. Katelyn and Todrick were possible attitude cases as well, but in Todrick's case he didn't perform well across the three semis.

Anyway, I think Tim served his purpose for them and now they are ready to have him booted. But Sanjaya lasted until top 7, so who knows?

More on the judges later.

"RE: AI9 Pimpage Report-- top 11"
Posted by zazzy on 03-25-10 at 12:18 PM
Singing order:

1.) Lee DeWyze
2.) Paige Miles --booted--
3.) Tim Urban --bottom 2---
4.) Aaron Kelly
5.) Crystal Bowersox
6.) Michael Lynche
7.) Andrew Garcia
8.) Katie Stevens --bottom 3; "safe"--
9.) Casey James
10.) Didi Benami
11.) Siobhan Magnus

I hardly want to go back and watch the show for the pimpage report but I know there is some, especially in the negative pimping the judges were giving Tim. So maybe while waiting for my team to play in the NCAA tourney I'll zip through the show to capture the comments. Anyone else have any insights from this week?

At least the judges had candor in dealing with Paige this week. I still think there was something going on with her. I read a comment on another board from someone who went to school with her and she confirmed that Paige can really blow/sing.

There were some pimpage signals in last night's results show--

Katie was bottom 3 but barely spent any time twisting in the wind before finding out she was safe.

Andrew was paired with Katie as the alternative one of the two who could complete the bottom three. Did that reflect the votes, or did the show want Andrew to seem at risk?

Michael Lynche got a spotlight again about his new baby. Maybe we should call this the new baby pimpage. Was there any doubt he'd make the tour after Ryan had that exchange with Michael before the results?

The first to be told they were on the tour was: can't recall, I'll have to check the tape.

More later.

"RE: Top 10 Pimpage Report"
Posted by zazzy on 03-31-10 at 12:56 PM
Singing order for Top Ten night:

1.) Siobhan Magnus
2.) Casey James
3.) Michael Lynche
4.) Didi Benami
5.) Tim Urban
6.) Andrew Garcia
7.) Katie Stevens
8.) Lee DeWyze
9.) Crystal Bowersox
10.) Aaron Kelly

This week will be an easy week for writing a pimpage report--the show was full of pimping!

That discussion will be later except for the pimp spot portion. But first, let's look at the pattern AI has had with the top 10 since season 6:

The last four to sing top ten week in 2007 were:

7 Melinda --third--
8 Blake --second--
9 Jordin --Winner--
10 Chris R

The last four to sing top ten week in 2008 were:

7. Carly Smithson
8. David Archuleta --second place--
9. Kristy Lee Cook
10. David Cook --Winner--

2009--the last four to sing this week in the top ten were:

7. Lil
8. Adam --second place--
9. Danny --third place--
10. Allison --fourth place--

And now, 2010--the last four to sing this week were:

7. Katie
8. Lee
9. Crystal
10. Aaron

Oh my. Does this mean that Aaron could be a contender for the top 4? Is he going to be coddled and pimped all the way to the top 4 because, you know, he's only 16? He is my least favorite of the remaining ten. That's right, I'd take Tim Urban over Aaron, because, as the judges said last night, at least Tim sings in tune! But I don't want either in the F4.

Last night I felt Aaron got a pity pimp by getting the pimp spot. The performance didn't merit it, it wasn't uplifting nor did it end the show with a "Wow!". The judges struggled to compliment him. Maybe it was to "save" him...like in season 6, Chris R got the pimp spot at top ten but didn't make the top 4. George Huff got the pimp spot top ten night season 3. Maybe Aaron is like Chris (booted at 5th) and George (booted at 5th)?

For an interesting tidbit--take a look at a trend concerning the contestant who sings in the 8th slot on top ten night.

Season 6: Blake--came in second
Season 7: David Archuletta--came in second
Season 8: Adam--came in second
Season 9: Lee -- his finish this season is TBD. Or is it? ;)

Let's take this trend back a little further and it gets even more interesting:

Season 1: sang 8th top 10 night: Kelly C.--won her season

Season 2: sang 8th top 10 night: Ruben --won his season

Season 3: sang 8th on top ten night: Diana DeGarmo --came in second

Season 4: sang 8th on top ten night: Carrie Underwood--won her season

Season 5: here's the outlier: sang 8th top 10 night: Bucky

8 seasons of AI. The person who sang 8th on top ten night came in either first or second in 7 of those 8 seasons! This observation dovetails with my belief that the show is shaped/manipulated to meet a producer agenda.

Seasons 7 and 8 could have had the person who sang 8th be the winner, only America didn't agree, despite fervent pimpage for both David A and Adam Lambert.

I think Lee is the ringer this season, with his having made 2 albums before being on AI and performed in videos supporting his albums. I don't buy his lack of confidence act that Simon and Lee have perpetuated.

And I think Lee downplayed his skills until last night, ready to be debuted on top ten night, complete with Simon's proclamation that Lee's performance would "change his life".

Simon is rooting for Lee and Crystal. That's his dream F2. Or the producers' agenda for the F2. Will Lee follow the trend of the past three seasons and come in second or will he be like Carrie, Kelly and Ruben and win?

Or will America have a different idea and someone else will win, like Kris did last year? People have compared Siobhan and Adam, but in terms of capturing America's interest, she may be more like Kris, having to carve her way into the F4, F3, F2, and win one week at a time. Adam was chosen. Adam was pimped.

So, I don't want an F4 of Katie, Lee, Crystal, and Aaron. At least one of them won't be F4, or maybe two.

Looking at the earlier seasons' last 4 to perform in the top 10:

Season 1: 8) Kelly C (won)
Season 2: 8) Ruben (won), 10) Clay (came in 2nd)
Season 3: 7) Jasmine (came in 3rd), 8) Diana (2nd), 9) Fantasia (won),, 10) George Huff
Season 4: 7) Anthony F (4th) 8)Carrie (1), 9) Scott S, 10) Vonzel (3rd)
Season 5: 7) Kat (2nd), 8) Bucky, 9) Paris, 10) Elliot (3rd)

So starting in season 2 we've had at least 2 of the top 4 perform in the last 4 spots of the top 10 and in 4 of the 7 seasons (seasons 2-8), we've had 3 of the top 4: seasons 3,4,6 & 8.

May this not be those seasons. May America know better! May this be like seasons 2,5 or 7!

More on the regular pimpage later.

"RE: Top 10 Pimpage Report"
Posted by cahaya on 04-06-10 at 03:51 PM
So, tonight it starts with the first three 'hopefuls', then bottoming out for the next four (who'll make the first three sound good), and then the last three pimps to close the show (who'll make the mid four sound awful. Yup, that's the formula.

The bottom 2 or 3 will come out of the middle group:
4.) Didi Benami
5.) Tim Urban
6.) Andrew Garcia
7.) Katie Stevens

"Two contestants pimped by Ryan on Ellen's show"
Posted by zazzy on 04-06-10 at 03:24 PM
AI Judges/Host pimpage...I guess since Ellen, although she's a judge, having her own show makes it harder for her to be the guest on another show to pimp contestants the way Simon, Randy and Paula have in the past but that means she can use her show and Ryan to pimp some!

Ryan was on Ellen's show today...and as they talked AI, Ellen asked Ryan's opinion because, of course, he would know whose voice would sound good on the radio, and Ryan went into a discourse about how things sound different live with the audience than they do on TV and he listens to the show afterwards and the ones he said who would sound good on the radio are:

Crystal
Lee

(Was there ever any doubt those would be the two that would be touted?).

Right on schedule.

Posted by zazzy on 04-15-10 at 07:18 PM
LAST EDITED ON 04-15-10 AT 07:22 PM (EST)

The pimpage thread has been on hiatus due to gorgeous spring weather! It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so maybe then. ;)

Let's recap the boots for 8th and 9th place, though:

Pimping didn't work: Katie ...they sure tried, Pimp spot in the semifinals, even guaranteeing her she wouldn't be in the B3 last week, and what do you suppose, she wasn't!

But this week...no such assurance, and so long, Katie at 8th place.

Pimping hangover till he's gone: Andrew got a LOT of early pimpage in Hollywood rounds and a semifinals pimp spot. Boy, did it ever have a long halo effect. If Mike hadn't been saved last week, Andrew would have made it to at least 8th place. But since Mike was saved, so long to Andrew at 9th.

Speaking of pimp spots: the only contestant of the remaining 7 to have never had the pimp spot is Tim. And in the top 12, neither Tim or Michael have had the pimp spot.

Pimp spot recap:

Top 12 men, women: Andrew, Katie
Top 10 men, women: Lee, Siobhan
Top 8 men, women: Michael, Lilly

Top 12: Crystal
Top 11: Siobhan (second pimp spot)
Top 10: Aaron
Top 9: Lee (seond pimp spot)
Top 9 redux: Casey

And if I understand the agenda clearly..here are my guesses for the nest 5 pimp spots:

Top 7: Guessing Mike --to boost him up one more time over Aaron, Tim
Top 6: Guessing Crystal --if we are following the S6 pattern
Top 5: Guessing Lee --they want to make sure he's Top 4

Top 4: Guessing Crystal --they want her to win?
Top 3: Guessing Lee --they want him to win?
Top 2: whoever wins the coin flip

There aren't many pimp spots left to get the agenda set for the top 2.

Let's look at who got the pimp spot at top 7 in past seasons--and what do you know? In seasons 1 through 7, the top 7 pimp spot went to the person who wound up in the top 4, with 5 of the 7 seasons the person placed in second or first!

S1: Tamyra -- Top 4--came in fourth
S2: Clay -- Top 4--came in second
S3: Fantasia -- Top 4--came in first
S4: Bo -- Top 4 --came in second
S5: Kat -- Top 4-- came in second
S6: Blake --Top 4 --came in second
S7: Jason C --Top 4 -- came in fourth
S8: Anoop --came in sixth

However, I think the person who will get the pimp spot next week will be Mike. Inspirational song week--it fits him, he should be able to deliver a show closer. It will be their way to elevate him over Tim and Aaron. And I don't think there will be any boot next week, so that would make Big Mike less vulnerable looking in a faux? bottom 3 showing on results night... time to pull Siobhan into the b3?

Then at top 6 week (which will be top 7 redux?) it's time to boot Tim and Aaron.

That's it for now. Now back outside!

Posted by zazzy on 05-14-10 at 02:11 PM
I and others have skipped recording a lot of the pimpage this season. For me, it's a combination of the great weather/early spring and the weird season.

However, at least I can review how the top 10 singing order predictions turned out:

1. at least 2 of the last 4 to sing on top 10 night make the top 4--yep, it held true again this year:

last 4 to sing top 10 night:

7. Katie
8. Lee --made the top 4 (top 3!)
9. Crystal--made the top 4 (top 3!)
10. Aaron

2. Too soon for the next one but it's looking good so far for Lee because he's never been in the bottom 2 or been suggested to be in the bottom 2:

The person who sang 8th on top ten night came in either first or second in 7 of those 8 seasons. Lee sang 8th top 10 night.

This doesn't bode well for Casey.

But wait!

3. How many pimp spots have the top 3 had?

AI 9 pimp spot recap:

Top 12 men, women: Andrew, Katie
Top 10 men, women: Lee, Siobhan
Top 8 men, women: Michael, Lilly

Top 12: Crystal
Top 11: Siobhan (second pimp spot)
Top 10: Aaron
Top 9: Lee (seond pimp spot)
Top 9, second round: Casey

Top 7. Crystal (second pimp spot)
Top 6: Siobhan (third pimp spot)
Top 5: Lee (third pimp spot)
Top 4: Casey/Michael (duet)

Lee: 3 pimp spots; twice in the top 12
Crystal: 2 pimp spots both in the top 12
Casey: 1 regular pimp spot + 1 duet pimp spot in the top 12

And the capper for the season so far--Simon saying Adam would win when he was interviewed on E! or Extra or one of those shows last weekend. Was he doing it as a lark? Or was he that out of it about this season? His former girlfriend was interviewing him.

Posted by zazzy on 05-14-10 at 02:22 PM
Also a look back to the early signs for the final 4:

These 7 contestants were spotlighted as the first 7 revealed as part of the top 24:

Aaron Kelly, Sonestown PA top 5
Casey James, Dallas/Ft. Worth TX top 3
Toddrick Hall, Plainview TX did not make top 12
Lee DeWyze, Chicago IL top 3
Michael Lynche, Astoria NY top 4

Katelyn Epperly, West Des Moines IA did not make top 12
Vered Didi Benami, Los Angeles CA top 10

3 of the final four were 3 of the 7 spotlighted over one hour as the first 7 to be in the top 24; recall that they crammed the next 17 into one hour the next night.

4 of the 7 were top 5.

This is no coincidence! This is so much the producers' agendas imo.

Posted by zazzy on 05-14-10 at 02:43 PM

This thread at idolforums has all the singing performance order and elimination, top 3, top 2 info for all the seasons:

http://idolforums.com/index.php?showtopic=640765

Posted by zazzy on 05-14-10 at 03:26 PM
Ellen endorses a Crystal/Lee F2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5cpqlc5VgQ

Was this taped before the F3 results were revealed? Seems so.

It aired Thursday, yesterday, and it's taped at least one day prior.

"This may be an understatement."
Posted by Estee on 05-19-10 at 12:16 PM
From EW's Michael Slezak:

'But it's hard not to embrace the role of the syrup of ipecac to counteract Kara's toxic combination of ''you are what this show is all about'' and ''the heart of the show this season'' and ''incredible epic moment.'' Lee wasn't kidding when he said ''Hallelujah'' is the kind of song that ''pulls everything out of you,'' because Ms. DioGuardi was spilling crap all over the stage in the wake of that performance.'

"No season would be complete without..."
Posted by zazzy on 05-22-10 at 03:27 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-22-10 AT 03:29 PM (EST)

No season would be complete without the AI judge seeding the press with the AI agenda.

The words about Lee... right out of the script, huh, Kara? BTW, I think CNN meant "rooted" not "routed".

I don't have it on tape but the F3 results night...Ryan did not say America voted and ...he just said the first in the F2 is and Crysta's joining Lee in the F2 or something like that. Anyway.

This is from Tuesday before the results show:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/19/kara.dioguardi.predicts.ppl/index.html

"With no mention of her cougar crush on Casey James, Kara DioGuardi made her pick for which of the show's top three contestants will face off in next week's "American Idol" season 9 finale.

"I think it will be a Crystal Lee finale," the judge said at the BMI Pop Awards in L.A. on Tuesday. Though she refused to predict exactly who would take the Idol crown, she added of Bowersox, "It's difficult at a young age to have a real sense of yourself. She hasn't always made the perfect choice, but she's always had a good reason behind things."

Of DeWyze DioGuardi said, "He really is what the show is all about. In many ways he was the heart of the season. He's who people routed for.""

...blather about Simon... then this about HC jr:

"If she had her way, she'd sit mentor Harry Connick Jr. in Simon's chair next year. "He obviously cares," she says. "And when you're a judge you have to be invested, opinionated and charming.""

Oh, and back to the blather about Simon...here's part of it--this does not apply to Lee this year, does it? "Obscure places"..."find a manager" Sounds more like Kris!

"but the show is more needed now than ever because it's harder for people living in obscure places to find a manager who will bring their record to someone who can make a decision."

"Simon says..."
Posted by zazzy on 05-25-10 at 12:27 PM
LAST EDITED ON 05-25-10 AT 12:27 PM (EST)

Wow, the last time I have to write about Simon on AI?

Simon...on Ellen today...(right on schedule)...picks Lee to win. Surely MJsbigblog will have the clip. And he goes on to say:

"Something about him; worked in a paint shop"

"He never really had any real breaks in his life, this gives him a shot"

What about Crystal? Could the same be said of her?

And what about Lee's 2 albums and supporting videos pre idol? I guess those weren't a shot. Or the Lee DeWyse band album that will be Walmart.

Simon did go on to say he's been wrong the past two years.

"IT. CAN. NOT. BE. A. COINCIDENCE!"
Posted by zazzy on 06-01-10 at 10:02 PM
Let's look at this one more time. Updating from an earlier post where I called Lee out as the ringer:

Look at how top 10 night foreshadows first or second place:

Season 1: sang 8th top 10 night: Kelly C--won her season
Season 2: sang 8th top 10 night: Ruben--won his season
Season 3: sang 8th top 10 night: Diane Degarmo--came in second
Season 4: sang 8th top 10 night: Carrie --won her season

Season 5: sang 8th top 10 night: Bucky--the outlier

Season 6: sang 8th top 10 night: Blake--came in second
Season 7: sang 8th top 10 night: David A.--came in second
Season 8: sang 8th top 10 night: Adam--came in second
Season 9: sang 8th top 10 night: Lee --came in first

9 seasons of AI. The person who sang 8th on top ten night came in either first or second in 8 of those 9 seasons! 4 won their season and 4 came in second. This observation dovetails with my belief that the show is shaped/manipulated to meet a producer agenda.

Seasons 7 and 8 could have had the person who sang 8th be the winner, only America didn't agree, despite fervent pimpage for both David A and Adam Lambert.

Look upthread for the earlier post about singing order on top 10 night the past few years. It is no coincidence.