URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 282
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Tamyra got a contract"

Posted by Bebo on 08-26-02 at 01:33 PM
From USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/2002-08-25-idol_x.htm

'This girl is a star,' and now Tamyra has a contract

By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY

Tamyra Gray may have been eliminated from American Idol last week, but she got a vote of confidence from the producer of the show: It picked up an option to manage the 23-year-old singer.

"This girl is a star," says Tom Ennis of 19 Entertainment. "She has a very bright future."

Under contractual agreements with all 10 finalists, 19 Entertainment has until three months after American Idol's Sept. 4 finale to decide whether to manage any of their careers. Gray's option is the first to be exercised, although others, including the eventual winner, will follow, Ennis says.

The three finalists still competing — Kelly Clarkson, 20, Justin Guarini, 23, and Nikki McKibbin, 23 — went back home last week, greeting fans at show-related appearances. Highlights will be shown on Tuesday's show, now scheduled for the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood.

Wednesday's show, which will eliminate one singer, has been expanded to an hour (9 p.m. live ET/tape-delayed PT), with a solo by each finalist, a recap of their summer on the Fox series and an overall assessment of their performances by the judges.

Gray's ouster may have shocked fans and judges who considered her one of Idol's best performers, but it didn't surprise her.

"I felt like it was my time to go home. But I was OK with that," says Gray, adding it was the first time she had that feeling. "I've had a great experience."

Gray's elimination drew a huge response. On the show's Web site (www.idolonfox.com), she received more e-mails after her ouster than any previous finalist, Fox says.

Last week also marked the largest audiences for both the Tuesday and Wednesday shows, with 15.3 million viewers for Tuesday's performances, a 2.6 million jump over the previous high.

Theories abound about Gray's elimination. Some speculate new viewers who hadn't seen her strong earlier performances tilted the vote against her.

"Everybody has their opinion, but the only thing I will say is that everything is legit" with the telephone voting, Gray says. "My performance Tuesday night wasn't the best, so everybody (probably) voted on the performances that night."

Some message boards were filled with debate about whether Gray's elimination was a matter of race. She says that isn't so. Finalists of different races and ethnicities already had been eliminated.

As with all finalists, Gray can't release any songs until after the Idol winner puts out a CD, which is likely to be shortly before Thanksgiving, Ennis says.

"Hopefully, sometime next year, maybe I'll have an album out," Gray says.

Evil, rude, snotty, and proud of it!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Tamyra got a contract"
Posted by munson on 08-26-02 at 03:33 PM
Shocker! Not.

The best thing that could have happened to Tamyra's career was an unexpected exit from AI. Let the pre-teens vote Nikki and Justin into the finals so the real talent can get on with it, already.

But I can't help but fear the birth of a new DIVA!. And what's with all the references to Whitney, Celine and Mariah? The 90's are over folks. Please move on.

Posted by sticks on 08-26-02 at 04:35 PM
She should have held out for a contract from someone not involved in American Idol.

Posted by managerr on 08-26-02 at 05:05 PM
She can't. They signed an agreement that they must sign with AI first. I think AI holds their right for a year.

"as written above, in Bebo's post..."
Posted by curious on 08-26-02 at 09:18 PM
...>>>Under contractual agreements with all 10 finalists, 19 Entertainment has until three months after American Idol's Sept. 4 finale to decide whether to manage any of their careers. Gray's option is the first to be exercised, although others, including the eventual winner, will follow, Ennis says.<<<

"RE: as written above, in Bebo's post..."
Posted by managerr on 08-27-02 at 12:46 PM
Yes that's how long *American Idol* has to decide whether or not to release them. If AI opts to sign them, Tamyra cannot say no until a year has passed.

Posted by katem on 08-27-02 at 04:12 PM
Here is a link to what eonline has to say (pretty much the same):

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,10445,00.html?eol.tkr

All I can say is good for her, she earned it

(c) 2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.