URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID77
Thread Number: 276
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"any chemistry geniuses out there?"

Posted by subtle on 09-22-05 at 07:24 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42
beryllium oxygen phosphorus sulfur vanadium molybdenum
periodic table of element numbers?

mean anything to anyone?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: any chemistry geniuses out there?"
Posted by TeamJoisey on 09-22-05 at 07:29 PM
I have NO IDEA if this means anything, but that is a damn fine imagination right there!

Welcome to the boards.

Posted by subtle on 09-22-05 at 07:47 PM
ty

here's a bit more of well..probably nothing but still kind of neat
To sum up it seems that these elements are either required for life or are metallic.... So maaaayyybe they are part of the monster????? Also Sulphur often comes from space so possibly a scifi connection here...

Beryllium is a Group 2 (IIA) element. At ordinary temperatures, beryllium resists oxidation in air. Its ability to scratch glass is probably due to the formation of a thin layer of the oxide. Aquamarine and emerald are precious forms of the mineral beryl, .

Oxygen is a Group 16 element. While about one fifth of the atmosphere is oxygen gas, the atmosphere of Mars contains only about 0.15% oxygen. Oxygen is the third most abundant element found in the sun, and it plays a part in the carbon-nitrogen cycle, one process responsible for stellar energy production. Oxygen in excited states is responsible for the bright red and yellow-green colours of the aurora. About two thirds of the human body, and nine tenths of water, is oxygen. The gas is colourless, odourless, and tasteless. Liquid and solid oxygen are pale blue (see picture above) and strongly paramagnetic (contains unpaired electrons).

Phosphorus is commonly misspelled "phosphorous". It is an essential component of living systems and is found in nervous tissue, bones and cell protoplasm. Phosphorus exists in several allotropic forms including white (or yellow), red, and black (or violet). White phosphorus has two modifications. Ordinary phosphorus is a waxy white solid. When pure, it is colourless and transparent. It is insoluble in water, but soluble in carbon disulphide. It catches fire spontaneously in air, burning to P4O10, often misnamed as phosphorus pentoxide. When exposed to sunlight, or when heated in its own vapour to 250°C, it is converted to the red variety. This form does not ignite spontaneously and it is a little less dangerous than white phosphorus. The red modification is fairly stable and sublimes with a vapour pressure of 1 atmosphere at 417°C.

Sulphur is found in meteorites, volcanoes, hot springs, and as galena, gypsum, Epsom salts, and barite. It is recovered commercially from "salt domes" along the Gulf Coast of the USA. Jupiter's moon Io owes its colours to various forms of sulphur. A dark area near the crater Aristarchus on the moon may be a sulphur deposit.

Pure vanadium is a greyish silvery metal, and is soft and ductile. It has good corrosion resistance to alkalis, sulphuric acid, hydrochloric acid, and salt waters. The metal oxidizes readily above 660°C to form V2O5. Industrially, most vanadium produced is used as an additive to improve steels.

Molybdenum is a silvery-white, hard, transition metal. Scheele discovered it in 1778. It was often confused with graphite and lead ore. Molybdenum is used in alloys, electrodes and catalysts. The World War 2 German artillery piece called "Big Bertha" contains molybdenum as an essential component of its steel.

Posted by TeamJoisey on 09-22-05 at 08:02 PM

Gee, could these elements be combined to form a black cloud?

A skeery intelligent black cloud with the power to pick things up and toss them around?

I shoulda paid attention in chemistry!

Posted by Cathy the Canadian on 09-22-05 at 10:17 PM
Have you been to this website?

http://www.4815162342.com/

There's a lot of discussion about the numbers over there. One of the interresting theories (posted by someone named "Pleiades"):

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what it means, but I know now how they came up with these numbers. If anyone is familiar with Pascal's Triangle, it is a famous mathematical pattern in the shape of a triangle. Each successive row of the triangle is formed by adding the two numbers above it. Anyway, the Lost numbers are kind of the inverse of the Pascal Triangle. In math classes, you learn to look for patterns in sequences. So, I figured, what if there is a pattern in the *difference* between the numbers of the Lost sequence? I'd ruled out natural algorithms, and other well known algebraic or geometric patterns did not appear. So here is what you get with the differences.

4 8 15 16 23 42
4 7 1 7 19
3 6 6 12
3 0 6
3 6

The interesting thing about this triangle is the sum of the numbers on the sides.
The left side is 20, the right side is 88, and the top is 108. Voila, the sum of the top row (the Lost sequence) is the sum of the sides.

there are some other interesting mathematical relationships in this triangle as well. The sum of all three sides, 216, is also 6^3. This triangle has 3 sides of 6 numbers each.

Obviously the Lost numbers arent random. I'm still investigating whether there are any natural algorithms that might contain the Lost sequence way out in the series.

Obviously the writers have found ways to work all these numbers into commonalities for all the characters and the backstory.

Point being, now we know where they got the numbers in the first place. Whoever on here wondered if the numbers were a seal or magic square, you werent far off. Its some kind of matrix similar to that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

He also posted this on the IMDB message boards. Another place with a lot of discussion going on. Our boards are still the best though!!!

Posted by ladro on 09-23-05 at 06:45 PM
I have a degree in Chemical Engineering, so I'll take a stab at it.

I'm pretty confident that there is no real world end use or naturally occuring mineral with all or even five of the six named elements. Something like 50% of the entire world supply of MO comes from one mine in Colorado, it isn't like these compounds are commonly mined together.

Just for the sake of this thread I will assume that the numbers do represent elements. All six elements are associated with real world superconductoring compounds, just not together. I can imagine a storyline where the island is really one giant supercondutor. Said supercondutor being a mineral of the six numbered elements. In broad theroy, this would explain the magnetic phenomenon with the Key and compass. The problems with radio transmission. Possibly Locke's cure. And maybe this was just an oversite in the script, but I found it odd that the island did not show up on the boat's radar system.

Posted by TeamJoisey on 09-24-05 at 00:28 AM
Funny, when I saw the magnetic field I began thinking about a particle accelerator, but got distracted and forgot the idea.

But modern era particle accelerators or super conductors don't explain The Black Rock. And I'm a fool if I think there's an answer that's going to explain everything, particularly the inland pirate ship.

Posted by wandacal on 09-24-05 at 06:50 AM
And I'm a fool if I think there's an answer that's going to explain everything, particularly the inland pirate ship.

You KNOW I don't think you're a fool!

I agree with you 150% that the shipwreck won't bring an iota of any explanation.

I truly do believe, (and I admit this may just be me), that the rear-end of Flight 815, along with the drug lord's crashed plane, will be the true clues to this season!

My gosh!
I soooo love this show....!