URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID88
Thread Number: 271
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"New Season..."

Posted by cheesybread on 01-19-06 at 06:54 PM

Been off the board for a while but I thought I would drop in to see what, if anything, or anyone (Loree?) knows about the new season of Rock Star.

I've been watching the American (Springer) Idol auditions and although entertaining (in a train wreck sort of way) it just doesn't really compare. Now that some time has passed and I listen to Switch quite a bit, I went back to check out some of the performances on the MSN site. I was amazed at how much more I appreciated the talent these people had/have.

Anyway, now that football is over (for New England, which ends my season ;) I'm looking forward to the next Rock Star.

Later...

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: New Season..."
Posted by Loree on 01-20-06 at 10:10 PM
There is definitely going to be a second season. But they still haven't released the details yet. This is the latest:

CBS Rolls with Second 'Rock Star'

A second season of the summer series "Rock Star" is on its way to CBS, but the network hasn't decided which band will be searching for a new singer.
CBS Entertainment chief Nina Tassler confirmed Wednesday (Jan. 18) at the Television Critics Association midseason press tour that a second "Rock Star," produced by "Survivor" mastermind Mark Burnett, is in development for this summer. There's no word, yet, though, on the band that will follow the colon in the title, a la last year's "Rock Star: INXS."

Tassler says she's excited to bring the show back, noting that it "built a nice little buzz last summer." Although it wasn't a huge hit for CBS -- in fact, the "Real World"-style segments that formed part of the show were shipped to VH1 -- "Rock Star" slowly gained viewers over the course of its run, topping out at nearly 8 million viewers for its finale.

Tuesday performance episodes of the show averaged 6.3 million viewers, while results shows, which aired on Wednesdays, drew 5.4 million people per week. The series also did reasonably well among adults 18-49

J.D. Fortune, a 32-year-old singer from Canada, won the competition last summer and is currently on tour with INXS. The band's single "Pretty Vegas," released soon after the show's finale, debuted at No. 37 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, marking the band's best opener ever.

Posted by Jay1205 on 01-27-06 at 12:45 PM
I heard a rumour that it was going to be Van Halen. Purely unsubstantiated, but fun to muse nonetheless.

Posted by Loree on 01-30-06 at 02:02 PM
January 28 2006

Following the success of Rock Star: INXS, CBS and Mark Burnett Productions will produce a second series of Rock Star this year.

INXS took the Rock Star challenge in 2005 and discovered a new lead singer in Canadian J.D. Fortune. The band then recorded their first album since the death of Michael Hutchence in 1997 with Fortune and is now touring the world.

Burnett Productions is remaining tight lipped about who the 2006 band will be. Early rumours suggested Van Halen but their management denied it was them. (Mind you, a denial from the Van Halen camp cannot be considered gospel).

Alice In Chains are also on the list as a possibility with Stone Temple Pilots also getting the occasional whisper as potential Rock Star 2 stars.

Potential new rock stars are invited to send an application form complete with video and demo CD to:

Rockstar Entertainment INC
149 S Barrington Ave
Los Angeles, CA, 90049

Auditions will be held in:

" 1. Austin, TX March 1st 2006
" 2. Boston, MA March 3rd 2006
" 3. Atlanta, GA March 6th 2006
" 4. New York, NY March 8th 2006
" 5. Chicago, IL March 11th 2006
" 6. Toronto, Canada March 13th 2006
" 7. Minneapolis, MN March 16th 2006
" 8. Seattle, WA March 18th 2006
" 9. San Francisco, CA March 21st 2006
" 10. Vancouver, Canada March 23rd 2006
" 11. Los Angeles, CA March 31st 2006

Posted by Loree on 02-02-06 at 09:30 AM
Posted on Thu, Feb. 02, 2006

Cattle call will thin the 'Rock Star' wannabe herd
BY ROSS RAIHALA
Pioneer Press

Attention, would-be rock stars: Save March 16 on your calendar.
That's when producers for the second season of "Rock Star" — the CBS reality show that found a new lead singer for INXS last summer — will visit Minneapolis for a casting call.
Producer Mark Burnett has yet to reveal the featured band for this second go-round, but rumored participants Stone Temple Pilots seem like an apt choice. STP lead singer Scott Weiland now fronts Velvet Revolver. Ironically enough, that group was formed by onetime Guns N' Roses members who initially announced they would document their search for a vocalist on a VH1 reality series, which never came to fruition.
Sublime and Alice in Chains have also been mentioned — each group lost its leader to a drug overdose. Back in October, MTV announced it would be Van Halen, which was swiftly followed up by a denial from the band's management.
Maybe it might be Queen? That group is touring with Paul Rodgers this spring, but the former Bad Company lead singer has said there are no solid plans for anything beyond that. And Queen's music found a whole new — and young — audience thanks to its use on both "Rock Star" and "American Idol."
Other speculation suggests there won't be a band at all and that the show may copy "AI" and aim to establish a new solo artist. St. Paul's Jordis Unga is one of several of the first-season "Rock Star" contestants to leave the show with a recording deal.
Whatever the case, the March 16 Minneapolis date is one of 11 planned. No further details have been announced, including whether the auditions will be open to the general public.
They were last year, when producers invited vocalists to a cattle call at First Avenue. Further details, including an address to send applications, can be found online at rockstar. msn.com.
INXS guitarist Tim Farriss had this advice to share: "Be honest. Be patient and be nice. Go with your instincts. And be truthful to the audience — above all else, audiences can see through anything."

Posted by Loree on 02-02-06 at 09:32 AM
In a recent interview Garry Gary Beers has said that INXS will be involved in the new season. But at present time INXS was not sure exactly what MB had planned for them.

MB has been spotted at a couple of the INXS concerts.

Posted by Yria on 02-10-06 at 08:39 PM
February 09, 2006
"Rock Star" season two audition update

Here's some more info on the second-season "Rock Star" auditions I mentioned in my column last week.

It is, indeed, an open call that will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 16 at the Cabooze.

"We're looking for men and women ages 21 and up to be a rock and roll recording artist for a major label. Be prepared to sing three songs. You may perform to track or with one musical instrument."

See the "Rock Star" Web site for more details.

http://blogs.twincities.com/ross/

Posted by Yria on 02-12-06 at 10:31 PM

Report: Van Halen may be taking over CBS' 'Rock Star' show after all

UPI News Service, 02/12/2006

It looks like all those rumors claiming Van Halen was turning to CBS to find a new vocalist may not have been so far off the mark.

When reports first surfaced that Van Halen had signed on for "Rock Star: The Series" the veteran rock band's camp came back with a vehement "No way," noted TMZ.com.

However, when questioned again on a report attributed to sources that the mystery band in the next installment of the CBS summer reality show is indeed Van Halen, the official response from publicist Larry Solters was: "I'm not denying it. I'm not going to answer any questions about it."

INXS found its new vocalist, J.D. Fortune, during "Rock Star's" inaugural run last year. The band has come back from obscurity with a hit album and sold-out tour, TMZ.com noted.

Neither producer Mark Burnett nor CBS would comment on the Van Halen buzz.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/report-van-halen-may-be-taking-over-cbs-rock-star-show-after-all-1007215.php

Posted by Loree on 02-16-06 at 11:33 AM
I have no idea what CBS is doing. Why the big secret about who the next band will be? Maybe they are telling the truth when they say they don't have anyone signed yet.

In the same day I got emails saying Van Halen were and weren't the next band for the show. Managers deny and refuse to deny things. It is getting silly.

I would think if CBS and MB know who their next band is that they would be promoting it. But if they haven't finalized anyone they would keep it silent. We don't even know for sure if they are signing a band (like they did with INXS) or if they are going to put together a super group with the lead singer being decided on the show.

I just wish they would make a decision and let us know. It does seem dumb to have people auditioning and not knowing who the band is.

Posted by CattyChat on 02-16-06 at 12:28 PM
I agree the whole thing is ridiculous. To be honest, if Van Halen does turn out to be the band, I will actually watch the next season with a bit of a grudge against them. The reason is because they have come out twice to adamantly deny they have any part in the show (like it is such a horrible thing). I say, fine, screw them.

In my opinion, as a former & current INXS fan and JD fan, this show was a GREAT thing for INXS to get them back in the game. It gave former INXS fans the opportunity (if they kept open minds & trusted the band) to revisit INXS and see what possibilities the future holds for them. I also feel like I know the guys a little, having them on my TV 3 nights a week for those couple of months. It just personalizes & humanizes the band members and their new lead, JD, in a way that just listening to them sing & seeing videos cannot do.

Anyway, I really think that participating in RockStar would do MUCH more good than harm to any band that decides to do it. Van Halen can take a hike if they feel too good to be a part of it -- bring another band in that isn't so wishy-washy.

Or, better yet, just let it be a show looking for a Rock Star and sign a great talent to perform as a solo act. I think it would make a GREAT competition with all the different rock sounds out there. This way it would be really competitve with who really has the vocal ability, look, stage presence and sound that the majority of viewers want, rather than finding the right fit for a particular band that already has its niche.

Besides, IMHO, it's going to be hard to top RockStar INXS.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Posted by Wacko Jacko on 02-16-06 at 01:29 PM
From MelodicRock.com

Good to see people finally believing that Rock Star: Van Halen is not and will not ever happen. According to a couple of reports, a more likely scenario for this year (if and when it happens) is a 'supergroup' line-up looking for a lead singer, or a closer format to American Idol, but with a rock slant.

Posted by Loree on 02-16-06 at 11:52 PM
Well it seems that Tim and JD have both said they do know who is the band for the new season. Tim said they can't talk about it because MB doesn't want them to yet. But Tim has said that yes they will be involved in the new season in some way. Not sure how yet, but he said they may be on as guest judges or something like that.

Posted by Loree on 02-18-06 at 00:58 AM
'Rock Star' returns to Canada

By KAREN BLISS -- For JAM! Music

Toronto proved fruitful last time around when Mark Burnett Productions took its talent search north of the U.S. border for Rock Star: INXS. J.D. Fortune won the coveted spot and is now living out his rock star dream. A little more than a year after that cattle call, the CBS television series returns for a second season with auditions being held all over North America, including two stops in Canada.

This time, there is no name band seeking a singer, but guest musicians will be involved in the weekly summer show mentored again by Dave Navarro. It is simply a search for rock singers/songwriters who wish to earn a major label contract with Burnett Records/Epic. Men and women, ages 21 and up, can sing up to three songs (covers or originals) to a CD track (with no vocal) or with one musical instrument.

Toronto auditions will be held at the Legendary Horseshoe Tavern on March 13; the Vancouver ones on March 23 at The Roxy. Like last time, there will be a closed, industry referral day, which are scheduled appointments the following day by invitation-only. Call backs for both days are the day after that. Contact Peter Cohen at pcohen@markburnettprod.com

Posted by Yria on 02-18-06 at 12:07 PM

Van Halen denies it will star in CBS' 'Rock Star' sequel -- again

By Steve Rogers, 02/15/2006

For the second time in less than four months, Van Halen is denying reports that it will be fronting the new upcoming second season of Rock Star, the CBS reality series that found INXS a new lead singer during last summer's first season of the show.

New reports that the band would star in Rock Star's second season emerged earlier this week, with AOL's TMZ.com website reporting that sources had told it that Van Halen would star in this summer's Rock Star: INXS sequel. Reached by TMZ.com, Van Halen publicist Larry Solters declined to deny the report. "I'm not denying it. I'm not going to answer any questions about it," Solters told TMZ.com in a story published Sunday.

However that didn't last long, and similar to what happened last fall when MTV.com also had a difficult time attempting to understand the band's publicist's doublespeak (an event that ended in MTV formally retracting its report that Van Halen would appear in the then still unordered second season and issuing a mea culpa correction), both Solters and CBS are now both denying that Van Halen will star in Rock Star's sequel.

After TMZ.com published its initial weekend story, Solters contacted TMZ on Monday and "vehemently" denied that the band would appear in Rock Star's sequel and explained that his previous comments had been "in no way" intended to confirm that Van Halen would star in Rock Star: The Series (CBS' current working title for the show, given its current absence of an announced band.)

CBS also voiced in on the matter on Tuesday. "All it is is a rumor, we deny it," a CBS Entertainment spokesperson told Billboard.com. "We don't even have firmly established yet, though, hopefully we will shortly."

In the meantime, the lack of a firm second season star -- or, if last month's comments from Rock Star's producers are still accurate, a firm decision as to whether Rock Star 2 will even feature a previously established rock band as its star -- that hasn't stopped the show from beginning its casting search.

Although applicants aren't being told many details about exactly what they're trying out for, Rock Star has already begun accepting mail-in applications, with its North American casting call tour scheduled to begin March 1 in Austin, TX. Reached by Reality TV World last week, the show's network spokesperson confirmed that interested singers are presently being asked to apply for the show without knowing whether they'll be attempting to join some still undetermined existing band or instead joining a Making The Band-like series that will result in the formation of an entirely new rock group.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/van-halen-denies-it-will-star-in-cbs-rock-star-sequel----again-3953.php

"Program Flaws"
Posted by Wacko Jacko on 02-20-06 at 09:58 AM
They are asking people to audition for a band that they do not know they are auditioning for. How could you have compassion for the job if you don't know who you are singing for? How can you know if you even want to try out for this band? The band has to be predetermined before tryouts begin or else we will not get the best contestents....and the show will suffer.

"RE: Program Flaws"
Posted by Loree on 02-21-06 at 02:05 PM
This is getting irritating. Isn't it? CBS/MB needs to announce what they plan to do. Either the singers are auditioning for a Rock Idol type of thing or a real band. And if they are auditioning for a band they need to know who it is. It was JD's passion for INXS that made him the right choice last season.

Posted by Breezy on 02-22-06 at 03:37 PM
I agree! Huge mistakes.

Posted by Yria on 02-23-06 at 07:30 AM
Maybe it's Van Halen who's giving them a hard time.

Posted by Yria on 02-23-06 at 07:33 AM
'Rock Star' to Hold Canadian Auditions

TORONTO (CP) - Canada proved a fertile rock star breeding ground for INXS, who found lead singer J.D. Fortune at an audition in Toronto.

Now, another band is going to try its luck north of the border.

Singing hopefuls can try out for a yet-to-be-announced band when Rock Star: The Series brings its open casting tour to Toronto and Vancouver next month.

While producers haven't revealed the band, they've said it'll be an "all-star rock 'n' roll supergroup." The online rumour mill has suggested Queen and Van Halen.

Auditions for the new season begin March 1 in Austin, Texas. The show is visiting 12 cities in North America, including March 13 at Toronto's Horseshoe Tavern and March 23 at Vancouver's Roxy.

Those who can't make one of the in-person auditions can send a video or audio clip directly to producers. Details are at www.rockstar.msn.com/season2.

Men and women, aged 21 or older, with "singing styles ranging from John Mayer-style singer/songwriters, to singers like Chester of Linkin Park, Joss Stone or Amy Lee of Evanescence," have been invited to apply.

The new series will begin this fall.

Fortune was one of approximately 1,000 Canadians who auditioned for Rock Star: INXS last year. He went on to become one of 15 finalists and eventually won the title of INXS front man, replacing the late Michael Hutchence. He recorded a new album with the band and is currently on tour.

Rock Star is the brainchild of reality TV impresario Mark Burnett. He also created Survivor.

http://channels.aol.ca/entertainment/article.adp?id=20060221093209990007

Posted by Yria on 02-23-06 at 07:39 AM
CBS Dismisses Van Halen Rumors 2/15/06

Ongoing speculation rock group Van Halen will be auditioning for a new singer on CBS reality show Rock Star: The Series (working title) has been quashed by the network.

Reports earlier this week (begs13FEB06) stated the Dancing in the Street hit makers had decided to use the show to find a new vocalist after being impressed by the results of Australian rockers INXS's televised quest for a new front man - JD Fortune.

Former Van Halen vocalist David Lee Roth, who left the band in 1996, further fuelled rumors by revealing on his radio show yesterday morning (14FEB06), "They really are gonna do it, I think.

"It's the 'Rock Star' open call schedule. They just handed me the schedule.

"They won't say who it's for, but I think it's for Van Halen."

But a spokesman for CBS Entertainment insists their act for the new season remains unconfirmed.

He tells Billboard, "All it is is a rumor, we deny it.

"We don't even have (an act) firmly established yet, though, hopefully we will shortly."

"Next Week"
Posted by Loree on 03-01-06 at 10:06 AM
CBS says they will announce who the next RockStar band is next week.

"RE: Next Week"
Posted by dreamerbeliever on 03-02-06 at 00:52 AM
Very cool! Thanks Loree.

I'm still holding out hope that it will be Van Halen and that Jordis makes a special guest appearance

Posted by Smurfybrown on 03-02-06 at 05:15 AM
So where did u get this info? I have heard SO much speculation and rumors that I don't know what amd who to believe. I am auditioning in SF on the 21st and it would be nice knowing who the band is. Just wondering where you got this info, inside source or a news press. Do you have the link?

Posted by Loree on 03-02-06 at 02:08 PM
I read it on two different news reports (from locations holding the auditions). They both said that CBS had told them it would be announced "next week".

"Rock Star: Camp Freddy"
Posted by tribephyl on 03-02-06 at 06:05 AM
And The Next Band To Use Reality TV To Find A Singer Is…

undercover.com

"“Camp who?” one might ask. Well it all makes sense when informed that “Rock Star: INXS” host Dave Navarro is in the band. That’s right, according to an industry insider who told Undercover Camp Freddy, comprising the aforementioned Navarro alongside Billy Morrison (The Cult), Matt Sorum (Guns N Roses), Chris Chaney (Jane’s Addiction) and Donovan Leitch Jr, will be the band looking for their very own JD Fortune in 2006."

You can check out more about the band at campfreddy.net

"RE: Rock Star: Camp Freddy"
Posted by Loree on 03-02-06 at 02:11 PM
Yes, this choice has been floating around for awhile. But when asked earlier Dave Navarro denied it. But who knows what they have been told to say.

"RE: Rock Star: Camp Freddy"
Posted by CattyChat on 03-02-06 at 03:46 PM
VERY interesting. So, who is going to be the mentor to the wanna be's if Dave is part of the band looking for the lead singer???

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Posted by Loree on 03-04-06 at 10:21 PM
Dave Navarro was on Spread Radio Live today. The announcement was suppose to be made this weekend about who the band is for this season's RockStar. But some details that were supposed to have been worked out took longer than expected. According to Dave the announcement will now be mid to late next week.