URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID58
Thread Number: 265
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Average Joe"

Posted by magalabel on 01-24-04 at 11:05 PM
I think there should be an AVERAGE JANE show. Most women do not look like models!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Average Joe"
Posted by Rockytop Chick on 01-25-04 at 09:09 AM
It's a great idea, but for a few reasons , I just don't think it would work. And this is coming from a "Jane" who is far from supermodel looking.
First, men, are generally more visually motivated than women. Good looking women would generally rather be with a better looking man, but will often accept appearance flaws in exchange for a personality. Men, bless their hearts, want the best looking woman they can get. period. The male hottie will pick someone who looks good in a bikini but can't put a complete sentence together over a Harvard educated MBA with style and class who may have a few extra pounds and imperfect teeth. I know not all men are this way, but enough of them are. It's just the way they're made.
Second, "average" Janes are not as easy to find who would want to be on TV as "average" Joes. This may not apply if NBC was picking the truly average rather than the biggest freaks they could find. There are a lot more less than perfect looking men who pursue acting careers than less than perfect looking women. Sadly, I think that society still teaches men that its OK to look "average" as long as they are smart and charming, etc, while women are still taught that they have to look as good as possible to have any chance of success in life. I for one am educated and fairly successful, but as a woman, I think that I would have had more opportunities if I looked like a model. That being said, I just don't think the "average" Janes NBC would be looking for (picture a female David) would want to appear on a reality dating show.
Now I know that these are generalizations, and not true in every single case, but I think that NBC wouldn't pursue the idea of an average Jane because they have to know that the himbo would never even think about getting close to the average Janes, and because it's a lot easier to find a lot of bad-looking male actors ( I still think half of these guys at least want to be actors) than it would be to find bad looking female actors.

"Ummm....Excuse me..."
Posted by DRONES on 01-27-04 at 06:07 AM
...but did you watch AJ1? Melana was staring in the face of a self made millionare with a sense of humor and a nice personality vs pretty boy who lives at home with questionable sexual orientation. IMO women are very superficial, they just aren't as obvious about it as men.

DRONES

"RE: Ummm....Excuse me..."
Posted by mookiemeister on 01-31-04 at 04:24 PM
Instead of speculating if Average Jane will or will not work, how about just try it once and see. If it doesn't work, no problem, just go do something else. If it works, then make more sequels.

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Einstein

Posted by a77u12a on 01-25-04 at 05:41 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-25-04 AT 05:42 PM (EST)

i thought i read that one of the original "Joe's" was coming back for Average Joe 3: Adam Returns. Tah Dah! Average Jane.

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Average_Joe:_Hawaii/adam_returns_apply.shtml

(edited to add the link)

Posted by escapedude on 01-25-04 at 08:02 PM
Thats a very good rationale RTchick, albiet very generalized..

Bottome line is that there is a double standard in hollywood and this would not make for good tv..(ratings.)

BTW =this topic has been discussed already..

Posted by pmspml5 on 01-27-04 at 12:28 PM
But I bet the women that put on the show are very good looking.

Posted by survivorjunkie on 01-26-04 at 11:29 PM
YOU ARE SO RIGHT!! THERE SHOULD BE ONE BUT JUST WAIS TILL NEXT SEASON THERE WILL BE ONE!!! I COULD BE A CANDIDATE ALSO.....IF I WERE NOT MARRIED( HE IS AN AVERAGE JOE!!!) LOL YOU WILL HAVE TO POST YOUR FAVS TO WIN ON AVERAGE JANE WHEN IT COMES OUT!!! I WILL TOO!!

Posted by TheWanderer on 01-26-04 at 11:42 PM
So who was eliminated tonight?

Posted by doctorcountryboy on 01-27-04 at 00:01 AM
To produce an "Average Jane" show you would first have to define average. If the first group of men represents the average male I am seriously concerned about the future of our species. Several even refer to themselves as nerds....average? I think not! If by average,,you mean average weight...average overall physical condition...etc etc...I think an "Average Jane" show would be super and really force the male to make tough choices.

Posted by escapedude on 01-27-04 at 04:42 PM
<<<<<But I bet the women that put on the show are very good looking. >>>>>

Doubtful!

Posted by magalabel on 01-29-04 at 01:08 PM
By average I mean, Average weight etc. Definitely not the 200lb over weight or the girl that needs the extreme makeover. Most women are not 5'10 ,115 lbs. with size 38 busts.I would like to see a show where the both the man and the women were average. I think people of both sexes would watch because it could happen to them. Most of us are average.

Posted by mtenkate on 02-03-04 at 07:10 PM
Why should an 'Average Jane' show not include the very overweight or gals that need extreme makeovers, etc.? The 'Average Joes' certainly fit into that category....really big, really small, balding, freakish, whiny, wacky hair, big glasses, and so on, so, tell me why the 'Average Jane' should should not include gals who are way below average, just like most of these 'Joes' were way below average? I will tell you why....because no hunky guy would even consider going out with or picking an 'Average Jane' as such, over a bathing beauty. Double standard, as per usual........

Posted by lovethisreality on 01-27-04 at 05:51 PM
Oh yes I agree. my boyfriend was like, "oh that is so messed up now the chick is totally dishing the 'average' guys. Boy that is not cool. " I am thinking what do men expect. if it were in the reverse would there be any man in america that would prefer the "average-ugly" girl. No! let's face it. they wouldn't. they would be cheering on and saying "now we are talking" ....my boyfriend stopped watching the show after the studs came in but don't think I let him off that easy. every opportunity I have, i find where he is in the house and say, "oh this guy is sooo cute and she is making out with him. alright way to go!!!" Why miss my opportunity to get back at the male gender after hundreds of commercials, topless scenes in movies, and boob shots on TV. I say, "seize the day"!!!!

Posted by mtenkate on 01-27-04 at 06:40 PM
You go girl! With you 100 percent!!