URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID69
Thread Number: 262
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Fair or not?"

Posted by nailbone on 02-10-05 at 10:41 AM
DW and PS were in a major uproar last night when that last group (the ones that waited until competition morning to even try to rehearse) got through even though they totally gakked it up, forgetting almost all the words, etc., but others who sang better and rehearsed a lot but forgot a few words got sent home.

New from Sigs by Syren!!

Keep lookin' up, cuz that's where it all is. o-

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Fair or not?"
Posted by Roo on 02-10-05 at 10:47 AM
Not fair, IMO. None of the 3 were *that* good that they deserved a 2nd chance.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Posted by Spidey on 02-10-05 at 10:50 AM
If the judges all really liked these guys the day before, and recognized they took a chance with that difficult song, I think it's totally fair they got through.

If they hadn't gotten through, would the judges have kept anyone else who was cut? And these guys auditioned just about last, so it's not like they took the first spots, forcing the judges to cut someone else.

If anything, perhaps there were so many busts that they wanted a few more for the next round and that's why they gave them another chance.

Posted by BriarRosie on 02-10-05 at 01:53 PM
I picked up on a comment by the judges that stated that this
task wasn't just about working together in a song, but taking chances.

Later, when the boys went to sing, I knew that comment was
deliberate foreshadowing.

The song was extremely heavy on difficult lyrics, and I think it
helped their case by explaining that none of the other groups
chose the song, so they wanted to be unique.

Bingo. That earned them another chance, IMHO. Not that I
believe they deserved one, mind you. But they took those
risks that Randy and Paula seem to love so much.

Personally, I thought theirs was the suckiest performance of the night. But they did harmonize that last note.

Posted by PhoenixMons on 02-10-05 at 02:10 PM
They weren't working froma clean slate here. The judges already had formed opinions of the people they'd brought to Hollywood. I think this round is probably to catch some people who may not have stood out to them before...definitely moreso than eliminating people based upon one weak performance. We've seen this time and time again in seasons past (that girl who was playing in the pool with that annoying cocky guy...she was sent through even though she royally sucked - they liked her, so they sent her through). It's definitely fair, IMO. Whenever you are on an audition with hundreds of other people vying for one spot, you do what it takes to stand out. If the other 40 or so groups were singing the same 2 songs, it's a wise move to take a risk and pick the song no one else is singing. It's MUCH easier to look good when you are singing something different. When you sing the same song, you are going to be compared DIRECTLY to everyone else who sang that same song. That's why most people don't like remakes of songs even if the remake is better.

I didn't particularly like the group...but it's certainly 'fair' to move them on for whatever reason they see fit. They obviously liked them enough despite their poor performance. And rewarding them for taking a chance isn't a bad thing. I thought they actually were pretty much spot on with the people who were dismissed and the people they kept with few exceptions (this group being one). I don't think they sent anyone home who should have stayed. I think they put some people through who shouldn't have gone (that gal in Elizabeth Pha's group - the bitchy one with glasses who said something about 'there's the door'...she was awful and should not have moved on), but overall, I think the judges are doing a MUCH better job weeding out the crap than they have in the past. There seems to be so much more talent this year than in years past. I have at least 10 people right now who I could be happy with as the winner in the end (and I have a feeling that a good number of those ten will be in the final group).

Got blog?

Posted by BriarRosie on 02-10-05 at 06:15 PM
Oh, I think anyone from the best group of the night (Mario,
Anwar, the "good Jefferson twin") would be great at this point.

I can see any of them in the top 12 males.

Or they can be the next boy band...

Posted by PhoenixMons on 02-10-05 at 06:26 PM
Mario is my pick to win it all at this point. He's got the 'total package' thing that I think the average American voter likes. He's not my fave, but he's definitely up there! Those three did an awesome job last night!

Got blog?

Posted by okaychatt on 02-15-05 at 02:50 AM
<so much more talent this year

I think that's because the age limit was raised. It allows for more singers with more experience and training. Some can even hold a tune this go 'round!

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Posted by jackandjill on 02-10-05 at 07:27 PM
If the show's editing was correct, it seemed to me those three bonehead got PLENTY of time to rehearse - as in ALL DAY. Didn't they start at 7:30 and didn't go on until well past 4:00?

Posted by callalilly3000 on 02-10-05 at 08:49 PM

Fair? I wouln't say it was fair, but it's the nature of the beast. They tried something different, and it paid off, so good for them. It remains to be seen if they will make it any further, but they have just as good a chance as anyone else.

Slice and Dice Shop 2004

Posted by Spider on 02-11-05 at 04:01 AM
Don't worry. None of them will make into the final 30 or whatever. They do not have what it takes.

Also, this is a tv show, not just singing. It is very possible the EP told them more needed to go through, so these guys got lucky.

Luck helps but they have to sing solo again next time. I would like to think that the 3 wise people get to see the videos of the day and then have more information on the contestants as they go into the next round. If so, Paula, Simon and Randy might not be so sympathetic to the 3 bears.

Posted by batts on 02-11-05 at 12:42 PM
When they passed all 3 guys, that one guy, the heavyset one?... looked like he was gonna blow up.... seriously! did u see his face get all red and puffy? lol.... I woulda ran the other way screaming "HES GONNA BLOW!"
... Did I miss parts of the show or am I blind... I didnt see Carrie Underwood perform in a trio..... and that antoni guy (guy that couldnt breath when he was a baby) I didnt see either one of those perform..... did I miss part of it?????

Posted by Flairmarq on 02-11-05 at 12:52 PM
There they were kicking people off that don't remember the words, and bam, they let guys through who don't? And what about the work effort? What does this tell kids to do. Don't do it til right before and you'll get by. The only thing was that they were the only ones not to pick the same song.

Why was it always the same two songs?

Posted by kidflash212 on 02-11-05 at 01:53 PM
Carrie Underwood was the first person featured - the one girl from her group that was cut was angry because she felt she had done better than Carrie and because Carrie had forgotten a couple of words. From what I saw though, Carrie clearly had a better voice than the young lady who was cut.

Posted by pmspml5 on 02-14-05 at 11:33 AM
I agree and even though the young man that had a trac as a kid was not shown - he was shown as "others who moved on"