URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID85
Thread Number: 250
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Who would be the best fighter in a real full length fight?"

Posted by CubsFan05 on 05-23-05 at 12:06 PM
Sure, these 5 and 7 round format fights need to be done to allow this type of tournament, but if this were done over a year instead of a few weeks, and all of the fights were 12 rounds, who do you guys think would be the best fighter?

Many of these fighters have never even gone 12 rounds before. I personally think that Ishe would have knocked out Mora if he had been given another 5 or 7 rounds.

Longest fights for each fighter:
Gomez - 7 rounds vs Manfredo
Salmaci - 10 rounds (not since the 90's)
Gilbert - 6 rounds
Lange - 10 rounds
De La Rosa - 5 rounds
Cooper - 4 rounds
Bonsante - 12 rounds in a loss to Manfredo, 11 rounds in a TKO win vs Tony Ayala Jr.
Fraza - 10 rounds
Espino - 10 rounds in a MD loss to Daniel Edouard
Kaddour - 8 rounds
Turpin - (n/a) 6 rounds
Reid - 8 rounds
Smith - 12 rounds
Brinkley - 10 rounds
Manfredo - 12 rounds
Mora - 8 rounds

In my opinion, I would rank the top 5 this way if the fights were all 12 rounds...

1. Ishe Smith
2. Peter Manfredo
3. Jesse Brinkley
4. Miguel Espino - Has some nice performances against quality opponents in long fights - almost beat Manfredo too.
5. Alfonzo Gomez - Guy like him could probably last

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Who would be the best fighter in a real full length fight?"
Posted by KendraFan on 05-23-05 at 01:15 PM
Am I reading this right? Did Bonsante fight Manfredo outside the competition before? Have any of the other fighters fought before?

Posted by VegasFightWriter on 05-23-05 at 01:19 PM
Ishe beat Alfonso early in both their careers. He says it was one of his toughest fights.

I'd pretty much agree with that Top Five list, although I think I'd substitute Sergio for Jesse.

"Sergio vs. Jesse"
Posted by CubsFan05 on 05-23-05 at 01:42 PM
I know that Sergio "slithers" around the ring quite a bit. Since he wins rounds by making the other person miss as much as he does from scoring with blows, do you think he would have enough energy to last a 12 round fight?

Sergio's KO/Win ratio is the worst of all 16 fighters at only 20%. I am thinking that in a long fight, he would tire, and eventually slow to the point where he would get pummelled.

Thoughts???

"RE: Sergio vs. Jesse"
Posted by AlgeCrumpler on 05-23-05 at 01:54 PM
I agree... I think Ishe would be the best and Sergio relies so much on elusiveness that longer fights favor his opponent.

Sergio alluded to a rematch with Ishe after the show. I hope it happens, and we get to see who is the best over a long fight.

Posted by 3twinkles on 05-23-05 at 03:05 PM
yes he did. It says something about that on the contender website under his profile I think. He lost to him and was hoping to fight him again to even the score.