URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 2410
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Here We Go Again!!!"

Posted by geekboy on 01-11-08 at 09:48 AM
Hello Everyone!

It's great to be back to the "Idol Time Of The Year". Season 7 is just around the corner, and its time to get this board burning up again.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this season? All the usual hype, and conspiracy theories, and predictions of doom and gloom are sprouting up right on time. A sampling of the tripe i've read...

* "This is our best top 12 ever..." by Simon. Doesn't he say this every season?
* VFTW is claiming that the producers are bringing in 'ringers' this year to boost the talent
* Several blogs and sites are again hailing the certain downslide in ratings for this season
* Taylor/Ruben being cut, of course means that the "Idol Crown" doesn't mean anythign anymore
* blah blah blah blah

Who is going to watch this season? Any regulars here going to pass?

Anything else we can discuss while waiting for Tuesday?

geekboy

I love puppies! S. Cowell

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Here We Go Again!!!"
Posted by Snidget on 01-11-08 at 10:08 AM
I'm hoping they are more interested in real talent this year than getting a good mix of people for the top 24.

I will be watching.

I think last year bit them hard enough they may have learned a lesson, I hope.

I never thought that winning Idol should lead to a permanent, life-long record contract. I think on the whole they have had a lot more longevity than the industry on a whole has. I think we forget that a lot of people manage to get a contract for an album or two and that is it and most people with a contract are lucky to make the top 100 at any point. Decades of music making with top 10 hits is not the norm. Sure there are a few that manage to do it, but there are a heck of a lot of one hit wonders and albums that never went anywhere out there.

I'm a bit shocked the idols as a whole have had as much success as they have had. I expected they would all have a single or two that would sell pretty well and then be out of the business.

Personally, I'm waiting to see the ratings before making a big deal. I think the writers strike may give them more of a boost than people are thinking. And the "terrible ratings" last year? Every other show would still kill for the rating AI had last year, even if they can't beat themselves. Funny how failure gets redefined when something is hugely successful.

Posted by CTgirl on 01-11-08 at 10:12 AM
I think the writers strike may give them more of a boost than people are thinking.

Agreed. I don't think the ratings will slip this year. They still killed the competition last year and this year there isn't any competition.

I'll watch again this year, but if it's a lackluster season again, I'll lose interest more quickly.

Posted by geekboy on 01-11-08 at 12:00 PM
Personally, I still don't think that last season was in any way "lackluster". I do agree with all the complaints that we were not given teh priviledge to get to know the contestants, but I enjoyed last season as much as any other. I didn't like Jordin taking it all, but there was some great talent on that show. Melinda was amazing, as was Lakisha (but not as consistant). Blake was truly an original. I loved Gina bringing some rock back, and Chris Sligh left us way too soon. And don't count out Sanjaya who was the unpredictable factor.

geekboy

Posted by Estee on 01-15-08 at 10:42 AM
There was an article in my local paper today talking about changes made to this season. It mostly came across as 'We'll bother to introduce people this time': last year, the focus was too heavy on the guest star of the week, and any hints of contestant personality was viciously suppressed.

Posted by Glow on 01-11-08 at 02:48 PM
I'm a little scared because I'm not really at all excited this year. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Posted by agman on 01-11-08 at 06:08 PM
I will most definitely watch this season, but I'm no longer under the illusion that's it's only about talent. I'm looking forward to it, but not expecting too much and I think by doing that, I won't get disappointed. That doesn't mean though, that I won't be bagging on some contestants and praising others because that's half the fun. see y'all in a few days. Good to see you again Geekboy!

A snidget original

Posted by batts on 01-12-08 at 02:32 PM
I'll be watching the first 5 weeks. I'm more into the last 6 weeks, but seeing how busy I get, and long hours I work starting around March, I doubt if I'll be able to watch every episode.
Probably my favorite episodes are after Hollywood.

Posted by zombiebaby on 01-14-08 at 04:08 PM
Man I hate this show so much yet I am drawn to it. So easy to snark on.

I never watch the auditions. This year? I am. Why? Writer's strike. There just is nothing else on. I may even be watching the results shows...that's how much the writer's strike affected me. So long as it does not interfere with Lost.

My biggest wish for this season to freakin use different songs. Ban Whitney Houstan, Celine Dion and any song that we have heard every season.

Anyone hear that Paula Abdul might perform at the Superbowl? Now there is a train wreck I can get behind!

Arkie's Art! He's real and he is looking for you!

Posted by jbug on 01-14-08 at 04:47 PM
I used to enjoy the superbowl halftime shows, but for the last few years, I use that time to refill snacks and such. If Paula's going to be on it? I may even fold clothes or something!

Sliced Strait From the Heart

Posted by geekboy on 01-14-08 at 10:31 PM
Prince was the only part of last year's superbowl that i watched. The guy is a friggin genius, and his performance was brilliant.

geekboy

Posted by agman on 01-15-08 at 07:17 PM
And wouldn't it be great if Randy can go the whole season without bragging about working with Beyonce?

A snidget original