URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID22
Thread Number: 241
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"OTCC Zucchini Soup"

Posted by Karchita on 09-23-11 at 02:28 AM
This is an amazing recipe. It is very simple and you might not think it will turn into much, but when it is done, wowsie, this soup is special. It is plain, but the flavor is superb. And what is really magical is that it is creamy, but has no cream.

I have had the cookbook that this recipe is from, 365 Easy Italian Recipes, for twenty years. Although I have looked at it many times, the recipe is so basic, I always passed it by. However, we had an exceptional crop of zukes this year, and I got a bit desperate for new zucchini recipes. So I thought I’d give it a try and was blown away with the results. I have since made it four more times, and each time I am once again blown away. DH absolutely loves this soup.

The first time I made it, I followed the original recipe except for adding a carrot. Other than adjusting some proportions, this is the recipe that I have given you, below. Each time since then, I have experimented with various add-ins, but nothing has really surpassed that initial experience of just the plain soup. Try it that way if you like, or gussy it up to your hearts content. I can’t wait to hear what the creative OTCC cooks do with this one!

3 lbs. zucchini (about 3 medium sized)
1 carrot
½ onion
2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
4-6 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup white rice
3 sprigs fresh lemon thyme (about 1 tablespoon) (or regular thyme and some lemon juice)
½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper (or to taste)
¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese

1. Finely chop zucchini, carrot, and onion and sauté in olive oil until onions are translucent and zucchini release juices.
2. Add 4 cups of stock, rice, thyme, and simmer for 20 minutes until rice is tender. At this point the soup may be very thick and mush-like. Do not worry.
3. Using an immersion blender, regular blender or food processor, purée until smooth. This will thin the soup considerably.
4. Add cheese, salt, and pepper, reheat, and adjust seasonings. Add remaining stock as needed to thin to the consistency you like.

Serves 6-8.

Notes:
• Like most soups, this will taste much better if prepared a day before serving. If you do this, it will thicken and you will need to add some water or stock and probably more salt or other seasonings.
• I like this soup in a small serving as a first course. I don’t like to eat a big bowl of a pureed soup like this because even the most delicious soup gets boring without textures. You could easily use this as a base and add in chunkie things after pureeing it and serve it in a big bowl as an entrée. Some possiblities: cooked and cubed chicken or ham, lightly steamed zucchini slices, carrots, cooked rice, potatoes?, celery, ham, and many other possibilities I am sure.
• I grow lemon thyme in my garden and it is delicious in this soup. I have seen it for sale, but it might be hard to find. Regular thyme would work fine, just add a tablespoon of lemon juice as well. Dried thyme would be a last resort, I think.
• A splash of white wine added at the end is nice.
• Some cream or half and half or even yogurt or buttermilk added at the end would also be very good and make it even creamier.
• You could also try this recipe with a different vegetable than zucchini.

Ingredients ready:

Veggies chopped:

Sauté until onions are translucent and zucchini release juices:

Add stock, rice, and thyme and simmer for 20 minutes:

Blenderize until creamy, add parmesan, and reheat until the cheese melts:

Garnish with thin zucchini slices and extra parmesan. Have a seat!

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: OTCC Zucchini Soup"
Posted by zombiebaby on 09-23-11 at 07:48 AM
Funny you post this because I was going to make some this weekend but it will be too muggy out for soup! I will try your recipe, first crisp weekend. I have been obsessed with zucchini this year. It's my favorite!

We did zucchini pancakes last weekend!

Posted by Karchita on 09-23-11 at 01:05 PM
Zucchini pancakes rock! Yummers.

Hmmm. They would be the perfect accompaniment to the leftover zuke soup tonight. And zuke cake for dessert!

There is nothing wrong with zucchini obsession. Nothing at all.

It's a way of life.

Posted by Tummy on 09-23-11 at 07:58 AM
Gorgeous pictures Karchita!

Sounds yummy, especially with the cooler weather coming on.

Posted by Karchita on 09-23-11 at 01:07 PM
Glad you liked that pictures because they are a real PITA. I do it for the picture fans of OTCC.

Posted by Puffy on 09-27-11 at 02:06 AM
I'm a picture fan. Your pictures are lovely.

Posted by Karchita on 10-03-11 at 10:01 AM
*smooch*

"Oooh-candelight!"
Posted by weltek on 09-23-11 at 09:55 AM
But I don't put out on the first date, missy. Even with candlelight.

I'm making this, and not telling Nolay what it is. Shhhhhhh!

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: Oooh-candelight!"
Posted by Karchita on 09-23-11 at 01:09 PM
The candles are just because I want to look at your beautiful face.

Excellent plan for Nolay. He will never guess. Hahahaha!

Posted by grit on 09-23-11 at 10:55 AM
Where were you with this recipe when I had zukes coming outta the wazoo? Now it's too late...

a berry nice sigpic from agman

Posted by Karchita on 09-23-11 at 01:14 PM
Don't you still have a few in the back of the fridge?

Seattle has a nice long fall. I took out one of my plants because it was covered with mildew, but the other is a six foot wide monster, gloriously healthy, and has about seven zukes nearly ready to pick and still has flowers and wee ones. I'll be dealing with excess zucchini for another month.

Posted by grit on 09-23-11 at 01:40 PM
No. They either got cooked or ended up back in the compost because they went bad. I'll have to double-check with my husband but I think his garden is pretty much done for the season.

Posted by qwertypie on 09-23-11 at 11:36 AM
Hooray! Will make it this weekend!

Posted by Karchita on 09-23-11 at 01:16 PM
Hooray!

Enough chit chat. Let's have some action!

Posted by agman on 09-23-11 at 11:42 AM
Karchita, that looks really good.

This from someone who almost never comments on cooking threads.

"So why not make it???"
Posted by Karchita on 09-23-11 at 01:15 PM
It's so easy, even an agman could do it.

"actually"
Posted by agman on 09-23-11 at 02:49 PM
LAST EDITED ON 09-23-11 AT 02:50 PM (EST)

I'm planning on making it tonight! Called my wife and she has picked up ingredients. Actually, I'm making it tonight and we will be eating it tomorrow night.

"whoo hoo!"
Posted by Karchita on 09-23-11 at 03:28 PM

I done roped in a noobie!

Just don't forget to report your results, 'kay?

"RE: whoo hoo!"
Posted by weltek on 09-27-11 at 10:46 AM
Now if he'd only report back. Talk about lack of follow through on his part. Sheesh.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"Hmpf. "
Posted by Karchita on 10-03-11 at 09:54 AM
That lil' noobie done slipped his noose.

Or whatever.

"RE: Hmpf. "
Posted by agman on 10-28-11 at 04:46 PM
Hey, I'm still here, It was great and the family all liked it! It's now part of the Agman family recepit book!

Posted by qwertypie on 09-27-11 at 00:14 AM
Making this right now as we speak.

Posted by qwertypie on 10-01-11 at 04:35 PM
Sorry it's been so long to update, the soup was delicious despite my bungling.

I had to use dried thyme instead of fresh and since we didn't have any lemons or lemon juice (I wonder who's fault that is) I bruised some lemon grass and threw that in.

I had forgotten to add the thyme until the end, so the first night we had it, it was very 'thymy'. Leftovers the next day was much better as the thyme had a chance to blend.

The soup was a bit fibrous but that was my fault because when I asked Mr. Qwerty to use the immersion blender (I was fielding phone calls from panicked parents because Kate had decided to make her party a costume party and didn't tell me), I forgot to tell him to fish out the pieces of lemon grass. Lemon grass stalks don't puree well (learned something new today), but the soup was still delicious and very edible.

I can't wait to try this again but properly this time.

Posted by Karchita on 10-03-11 at 09:59 AM
I have to say, that with your 'lifestyle', I am impressed that you have time for OTCC at all. Am very glad that you liked it. Love the lemongrass improv.

Just a thought about lemons ... since I started using preserved lemons, I always have them on hand at least for savory applications. I make them much the way you make the preserved limes, but I don't add any spices so I can use them with many different recipes that call for lemon peel or juice. Would your little troublemaker find the lemons he loves in a cloudy, greasy jar in the back of the fridge? Just a thought.

Posted by qwertypie on 10-03-11 at 06:05 PM
Oh yes, he would. Right now we have the fridge barricaded with the portable dishwasher because Mr. Qwerty doesn't want me drilling holes in the side of the fridge to install a proper padlock (whole other arguent, too long to rehash.)

And I did impress myself with thinking of using the lemon grass

"OTCC reminder (to myself and others that are forgetful)"
Posted by weltek on 10-03-11 at 10:47 AM
Here is the upcoming schedule. Anyone feeling inspired to take the December dates?

Oct 7 - Boo
Oct 21 - weltek
Nov 4 - Tummy
Nov 18 - Arnutz
Dec 2 - Arkie
Dec 16
Dec 30

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: OTCC reminder (to myself and others that are forgetful)"
Posted by frodis on 10-03-11 at 11:24 AM
I'd be happy to take a December date if no one else has a burning desire to take one.

A Mmmmmmmoonie plate special!

Posted by weltek on 10-03-11 at 12:24 PM
Turns out zombie is cooking. It was down at the bottom of the catch up thread...the thread I'd forgotten had an updated list. I'm such a trouble maker.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by arkiegrl on 10-03-11 at 11:49 AM
LAST EDITED ON 10-03-11 AT 11:53 AM (EST)

I thought I gave that date away to someone new to the OTCC, but I don't remember who.

ETA: from the OTCC Catch Up thresd:
Oct 7 - Boo
Oct 21 - weltek
Nov 4 - Tummy
Nov 18 - Arnutz
Dec 2 - tribe - our third newbie premiere!
Dec 16 - tallgirl - second newbie premiere!
Dec 30

Posted by weltek on 10-03-11 at 12:20 PM
LAST EDITED ON 10-03-11 AT 12:23 PM (EST)

Thanks, Arkie! I missed the more recently updated thread.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by frodis on 10-03-11 at 11:37 AM
As zucchini is gone away (for to stay, a little while) around here, I'm keeping this recipe in my back pocket for when the CSA box starts filling up with hard squashes. (It will probably start this week.)

Last year my winter squash use was limited to roasting, and the family got a little tired of that so it will be nice to have some new options.

A Mmmmmmmoonie plate special!

"Squash?"
Posted by Karchita on 10-21-11 at 00:21 AM
I just saw this. Sorry, I've been absolutely insanely busy.

I think this could be really good with hard squash. I think it holds possibilities for many other veggies, although the thing about zucchini was the surprise that it is so creamy without any diary added.

This is one is good too, and the best part is, it doesn't even taste like squash at all, which is essential for those of us who think squash is icky.

Squash-Tomato Soup

Serves 6-8

1 large shallot, diced
½ large onion, diced (yield about 1 c)
2 large cloves garlic, diced
1 dried red pepper, sliced
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
4 c squash puree
4 c crushed tomatoes in their own juice
1 c cream
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or to taste)

1. Place shallot, onion, garlic, red pepper, dried oregano, salt, and oil in large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat.
2. Stirring occasionally, cook until onions are soft and translucent.
3. Add squash and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
4. Use a stick blender to puree and fully mix all ingredients. (Or blend in batches in a standing blender).
5. Add cream and gently heat through. Serve with a few drops of balsamic vinegar drizzled on top.

~siggie by one cool agdude

Posted by kingfish on 10-28-11 at 05:12 PM
Bookmarked. Thanks. Looks great.

Swimming scared art by Crabman

Posted by agman on 10-28-11 at 05:19 PM
It is great, had it a little while back.