URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID44
Thread Number: 2374
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Does AI need to return to its usual formula?"

Posted by zazzy on 05-24-07 at 10:54 AM
Season 6 has not gotten good reviews.

Season 6 ratings have been down, including the F2 night losing to DWTS.

AI tour tickets are not (yet) selling out the way they were last year.

Posters last night were asking if the F2 were as talented as the former idols who appeared on the finale.

AI changed this year imo.

***More pronouced pimping--either that or we finally caught on earlier to all their pimpage. Jordin singing last 3x in the top 12 to top 4 was too much and patently unfair to other contestants. Putting one contestant first till you get them voted out...when the pimped one did not yet go first...just stop it!!! (like that's going to happen, lol!)

***Less back story on the contestants--we did not know them the way we have known the other contestants in the past. Will that translate into lower cd and download sales for the S 6ers?

***Finale did not have the "wow" factor that last year's finale had. (Prince = buzz for the show)

***AI seems to have put more effort into wringing all it can from its AI brand (Camp, rock star spin off, ice cream, whatever) and less time on the contestants. The contestants seem like an after thought.

***The guest mentors were, for the most part, there to pimp new albums. One of the best mentor nights was Peter Noone and Lulu, neither of whom were pimping a new album.

***Auditions were too much about the bad singers and barely enough about who went to Hollywood. Then Hollywood rounds were barely shown.

***The judges and host are bored with the show and it shows.

***It was cool to raise money with IGB...but they seem to have lost focus doing so.

***Glad to see so all the former winners on the show--(remember that Fantasia was on there earlier this season)--so that they did right.

*** As much as the Jordin/Lakisha/Melinda story provided interest, there were too many divas on the show. Go back to the archetype casting if need be, AI. More rock, more country along with the other diversity you had this year.

***And stop telling us about being 17!!!

Next year: more balanced audition shows...some side show for the side show watchers but better talent for those of us who want to see the undiscovered talent. More Hollywood. Less pimping. Less crappy filler in the finale. Go back to earlier years like seasons 4 and 5 and recapture the magic.

And, do something about the craptastic coronation song.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Does AI need to return to its usual formula?"
Posted by jase on 05-24-07 at 12:00 PM
Changing one or two judges doesn't seem likely and they all seem to be, in some sense, untouchable despite what they may say and/or do. I think the only way AI will get a new judge is if one of them decided to leave on their own accord.

I would like greatly if AI had a different host. Getting a new host would be one dramatic change the show really, really needs. Heck, I'll even settle for a co-host. I wish it was like the first season when the host(s) had very limited verbal interaction with the judges. The often stupid and unnecessary banter that has been going on has become sickening and hurts the show to a certain degree.

I agree the Finale had no "WOW' factor and would venture to say that this was the case throughout the season. Clearly they need to be selecting better contestants, but I'm not sure how you do that fairly and at what stage in the process.

AI needs to restore a sense of competitiveness between the contestants. As it stands, most don't care about winning but more about getting to a certain point in the show where they can parlay that into something bigger and/or more of a sure thing for them (which I can't blame them for doing). Even us viewers, to a degree, have come to accept this as 'normal'.

I have no problem with the concept of a coronation song, but it has to be a well-written one. This year's was the worst ever, so I say, NO MORE SONGWRITING CONTEST! It wouldn't be hard working with some professional music writers/producers to come up with something that anyone would be able to sing. AI needs to put more effort into this aspect of the competition.

Posted by Snidget on 05-24-07 at 12:42 PM
I actually thought the craptacular coranation song from this year was as good or better then the craptacular coranation songs written by the professionals for the other seasons.

There are good songwriters out there, but I don't think you can get them for American idol. Either that or the limitations of what the song has to be (inspirational I suceeded finally in the end) just lends itself to excessive craptacularness.

Tribe sprung my spring!

Posted by tamarama on 05-24-07 at 12:55 PM
They got Carole Bayer Sager to guest-judge...couldn't they have asked her to write one?

Posted by memzoo48 on 05-24-07 at 06:05 PM
>
>AI needs to restore a sense
>of competitiveness between the contestants.
>As it stands, most don't
>care about winning but more
>about getting to a certain
>point in the show where
>they can parlay that into
>something bigger and/or more of
>a sure thing for them
>(which I can't blame them
>for doing). Even us viewers,
>to a degree, have come
>to accept this as 'normal'.

I'd like to see a cash prize for the winner, in addition to the recording contract.

Posted by agman on 05-25-07 at 08:01 PM
I would definitely agree with that. Cash or something that would make them more interested in actually winning the contest and not just staying long enough to be noticed!

Shiver me timbers mateys

Posted by memzoo48 on 05-25-07 at 10:33 PM
>I would definitely agree with that.
> Cash or something that
>would make them more interested
>in actually winning the contest
>and not just staying long
>enough to be noticed!
>

Seems like TPTB could cough up $100K or so, at least! Even the Top chef winner gets that much.

"No"
Posted by Breezy on 05-24-07 at 12:14 PM
This years crop just wasn't the same as prior years. Doesn't matter what they "change" else where if the people auditioning are weaker.

The only thing I would change is the coronation song. If one of the finalists has their own song they wrote, let them sing that. If they don't then fine give them a song to sing. But I would like to see the "singers" be able to take a more active role in their performances.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

"Yes"
Posted by samboohoo on 05-24-07 at 12:27 PM
To agree with you, of course.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

"*smooch*"
Posted by Breezy on 05-24-07 at 12:43 PM
I also don't think they changed anything this season, or got away from their "usual" whatever.

They did what they could with what they were given. *shrug*

"RE: No"
Posted by Snidget on 05-24-07 at 12:49 PM
If they can't get good constestants it's going to be hard to do anything else to fix the show.

I would like more time spent on the singers that make the top 24 in the audition and hollywood episodes. That means less of the really bad singers. I like a bit of the worst of the worst, just because humans are insanely silly creatures which make them good TV. However, this season I almost can't remember any of the top 24 from the audition/hollywood cycle and I seem to remember in past seasons I felt like I knew most of the people we got to vote on.

I'd like to see more diversity of the peeps, but only if they get really good ones. More people like Blake who aren't trying so hard to be what Idol wants them to be who will take some risks and be creative is something I would like to see more of. Problem is they aren't as likely to be the puppets the producers want.

Tribe sprung my spring!

Posted by Breezy on 05-24-07 at 12:52 PM
That still goes back to the people auditioning. If they don't give anything "tv worthy" then we get crap. So that's what we got this season. Crap.

Posted by qwertypie on 05-24-07 at 01:09 PM
I still think if they showed less crappy people auditioning, then they would get less crappy people auditioning for theire 15 minutes of crappy fame.

I've danced with Tribe! 2007

Posted by Breezy on 05-24-07 at 01:15 PM
Heh, yes that has been a problem.

Posted by tamarama on 05-24-07 at 01:11 PM
>>That still goes back to the people auditioning<<

Yeah, but we've known for a while now that there are multiple layers of producers thinning out thousands of applicants long before R/P/S see them. Or we see them.

No way were Haley Scarnato and Antonella Barba 2 of the best 12 women they heard out of THOUSANDS - even if there was no Kelly Clarkson in those crowds.

So I don't think it's the quality of people turning out to audition, it's the quality of the people that are being put through -- put through to R/P/S, put through to Hollywood, put through to the top 24.

I'd love to see them select talented, unique performers.
Sounds like a nice simple request, huh? So lets not put FIVE divas through to the top 24. Let's not put a wannabe JT clone through. Or a couple of bimbettes whose only skills are cooing and flashing T & legs.

I agree that the coronation songs must be fixed.
I felt OK about how much we got to know the kids once we hit the top 12, but I agree that we need to see more of the good auditions at the very beginning.
I actually like Ryan - so I have no problem there.

My biggest problem - is the pimping. I appreciate honest, constructive criticism. I don't even mind if the criticism gets a little snarky now & then. What I absolutely hate is when they blatantly LIE about someone's performance because they are the chosen one. The audience manipulation is infuriating.

THAT, rather than contestants, is the one thing that may finally sour me on this whole, strange trip.

"Maybe? "
Posted by Breezy on 05-24-07 at 01:20 PM
No way were Haley Scarnato and Antonella Barba 2 of the best 12 women they heard out of THOUSANDS - even if there was no Kelly Clarkson in those crowds.

With women, they look at more then the voice. Sad but true. They also want an "image". With guys, they can do a little more with to get their image up to snuff. (see Clay)

This was the sixth season, how many people were there trying out again? third time? fourth? fifth? sixth? That's why they raised the age limit after the third season. Now I'm not saying they'll have to raise it again. But after awhile don't they see pretty much every wanna be idol in the US?

Maybe they need to take a long break and let the pool of contestants build back up.

"RE: Maybe? "
Posted by Glow on 05-24-07 at 02:01 PM
"This was the sixth season, how many people were there trying out again? third time? fourth? fifth? sixth? That's why they raised the age limit after the third season. Now I'm not saying they'll have to raise it again. But after awhile don't they see pretty much every wanna be idol in the US? "

How many times did AJ (was it AJ?) say he tried out? Wasn't this his fourth time? So I can see how people could try out over and over again and I don't see a problem with it. If they're not picked to go to Hollywood for whatever reason, they have a whole year to get better. Take voice lessons. Find out who they are and what they can offer. So I don't think they have to raise the age limit again or take a break.

I agree with what tam said above about Haley and Antonella. Though in Haley's defense *coughcan'tbelieveIjustsaidthatcough* I did like her during the auditions. Same with Sanjaya. They kicked ##### during auditions. Why not put them through? Sure the looks help but that's not all it is and they're obviously starting to realize that (Sligh, Melinda, Lakisha). I don't think anybody gets through on pretty looks alone. Though I do completely believe that's how Haley made it to the top whatever. She should have been the first one gone and would have if she wasn't pretty.

But. As far as Chris Richardson goes... yes, I grew to really adore the kid but I never said he should or would win but I did say he could. I was one of the first to call him a JT clone. I have since then seen the error of my ways. He is as much himself as any musician can be. (I will totally eat my words if his album comes out and sounds anything like anything but Chris Richardson.) He has an in the now kind of approach to his performance but that isn't a bad thing. That's why the producers and the judges appreciated him. I appreciated him mostly for his arms at first but I have come to appreciate more than that. He has a passion for music and that is important to a lot of people. Myself included. (I really didn't want a Bucky to stand alone on this season. Looks like I got one anyway. Imagine that.)

Something that you (Breezy) mentioned upthread also caught my attention. You said it would be nice to let the singers perform their own original songs. That? would make it so amazing for me but that's never been what this show is about. We're constantly reminded that this competition is strictly a singing competition. They want the best singer. They don't care what, if any, ability they have outside of that. There is no way Jordin would have won this thing if it was based on musical talent.

Posted by CTgirl on 05-24-07 at 02:48 PM
>My biggest problem - is the
>pimping. I appreciate honest,
>constructive criticism. I don't
>even mind if the criticism
>gets a little snarky now
>& then. What I
>absolutely hate is when they
>blatantly LIE about someone's performance
>because they are the chosen
>one. The audience manipulation
>is infuriating.

Ditto, especially the lying part. I think that's why I developed such a revulsion for Jordin, especially Randy's comments: "best ever AI performance," and "that was better than Martina McBride's version." All I could think was, what would Martina say if she heard that. IMO, that's a pretty big put down of a major country star! And then when they lie, how can you take any of their comments seriously? You don't know when they are telling the truth or when they are spitting out the producer's opinions!

Posted by Snidget on 05-24-07 at 02:59 PM
I'm not sure the lieing is that blatently manipulative but there are certain trends to it that makes the commentary seem waaaayyyyyyyy less than authentic.

I do know Simon has said sometimes the sound mixing, etc means that what we hear at home didn't match what they heard live (but that doesn't excuse when they are way off but told they are perfect, etc.).

I know it can be hard to praise someone you don't like and say something critical about your favorite. Not sure how much of the commentary is blatently scripted vs how much is the judge having their mind already made up to where they couldn't even hear what the person was singing. Judging is never completely objective. However, it seemed even more subjective than usual this year.

There are always a few who get too much praise and always a few who can't get a break, but this year did seem worse than usual. Don't know if it is some need to get the "right" idol this year or just the judges are burning out.

Tribe sprung my spring!

Posted by bzooti on 05-31-07 at 08:31 PM
>Yeah, but we've known for a
>while now that there are
>multiple layers of producers thinning
>out thousands of applicants long
>before R/P/S see them.
>Or we see them.
>

>>So I don't think it's the
>quality of people turning out
>to audition, it's the quality
>of the people that are
>being put through -- put
>through to R/P/S, put through
>to Hollywood, put through to
>the top 24.
>

Never forget. JORDIN didn't make it past the first round when she audtioned in LA. Just ponder that fact for a minute.

I'm actually a reporter, and I covered part of the Seattle saga. And I got a lot of e-mails from people who were just flabbergasted by the talent they witnessed get rejected in the first round.

so then what did we get instead?

The judges huffing and puffing about all the ludicrously bad acts that did get put through to see them.

Along with a few decent ones -- like Blake, Jordin, Sanjaya.

And that Tommy dude, who nearly made it through. The one they told last, with Sundance. I talked to him briefly, when he got his golden ticket to H-wood. He had a good energy, some natural charisma. I actually thought he had a shot without even hearing him sing.

"My thoughts"
Posted by geekboy on 05-24-07 at 03:25 PM
Hello all -

Some thoughts on this topic:

* I'm convinced that Phil was put through due to his backstory at audition time. He was auditioning while his wife had a baby. Big deal, i don't think he deserved to make it thorugh to the final 12, let alone the final 24.

* The judges are NOT going to change. Drop that topic for once and for all.

* The whole pimping-issue. I don't know waht i feel on it. Someone has to go first, someone has to go last. At least explain to the world HOW you order the performances. I don't think "the best" performance should automatically go last. I agree, that is not fair. Look at the stats.

* Mentors. Do we need one every week? Either way, bring back Barry Manilow, the best mentor ever.

* Audition shows. I don't think these will ever changes. It all about the ratings, baby. The auditions get HUGE ratings. HOllywood doesn't. *shrug*

* The Finale Show. Season 4 had THE.BEST.FINALE.EVER where the Idols got to sing with their idols. Bring that back. It worked. And for God's sake, dump the Golden Idols.

* How about less theme weeks, and more free choice week for the contestants. I like the themes, but i also like the first few weeks where they can choose whatever they want. I'd like to see more of those weeks.

geekboy

I love puppies! S. Cowell

"RE: My thoughts"
Posted by tamarama on 05-24-07 at 04:46 PM
Hi GB!

The song order and "pimp spot" don't bother me nearly as much as the 'pimping' that happens in commentary and critique (and lighting, camera work, press). I'm a big fan of actually building a program, planning the flow of songs -- so I'd hate to see a random draw for order. I just hate to see the obvious & out of whack favoritism. Like (early on) Chris R. getting away with so much horrible singing while others got called on the carpet for a missed note.

I like your suggestion about fewer themes (or maybe broader themes - like the "anything on any chart" theme from last year). We would get better performances because the singers would actually like what they're singing -- plus it would give everyone a more complete idea of each idol's musical identity.

I also like your Barry Manilow suggestion! He's the best for this type of thing. I enjoy the mentors, but some of them are pretty lame. Being a talented performer doesn't mean you have anything to offer an idol. Seasoned performers with actual musical knowledge are the best mentors. (I laugh when I hear people complain that the mentors are all OLD. Well, Yes. Mentors are typically older than mentees. Do you really think Ms. Spears would have anything constructive to say to an actual singer?)

How about alternating? Mentor week/theme week/mentor week/theme week? Nah, nevermind. Mentors kinda need to go with themes.

"RE: My thoughts"
Posted by qwertypie on 05-28-07 at 12:54 PM
OH MY GAWD -- I just got images of Brittney Spears being a mentor. I think I would pee myself laughing if this ever came to be. She could give plenty of advice, such as - always wear panties, never mess around with the back-up dancers, etc.

Posted by Fishercat on 05-24-07 at 04:35 PM
*First of all, AI needs to reconsider its policy on who it allows to re-audition. From this group, it should only be the Top 24 that are not allowed to audition again, the 20 inbetween passing Hollywood and not making it on the show should be given an automatic pass to Hollywood for the next season. It encourages talented contestants who just missed out to come back.

*Additionally, to improve the pool, they should stake out 100-200 "try-out posts" across the U.S.A. (one in all 50 states, and 150 more spread out geographically to cover the most possible area) with employees and a producer at each one (maybe 10-20 different dates). Basically, like they do at the huge locations, have group try-outs and then give the people a "golden pass" to audition right in front of the judges are a larger, regional spot

(For instance, the "New England" region has a post in Augusta (ME), Portland (ME), Concord (NH), Burlington (VT), Boston (MA), Worcester (MA), Hartford (CT), Providence (RI), and perhaps one more city, maybe not. Additionally, each major market (Boston is the only one in New England) has an Idol contest (on FOX) where the winner goes directly to the judges, ala Jordin Sparks). From there, there is one big "judges" audition in Boston, for anyone who passed. It cuts out the crap, and yes, eliminates most of the horrid auditioners for them to ridicule, but it will create a better show. If someone is really bad, have a tape at one of the pre-audition spaces to show it.)

That format would prevent one day wonders from wasting away in Hollywood, and although it basically just extrapolates the current format, the person from the middle of nowhere doesn't have to drive 18 hours to wait in line for 2 days to be cut by producers. It will help find better talent.

*In a more drastic turn, I'd allow either the option or necessity (option because some people can take advantage of the visual) of performers being able to audition behind a screen (no hint of body type or looks). America has shown the capability to support people who aren't conventionally attractive (although attractive people obviously have the advantage), and I think the judges put too much weight on that early. Once they get to Hollywood, then take it away, but it'd help with audition stage fright.

*I agree, they need to cast many different archetypes for two reasons. One, the Kellie Picklers and Chris Daughtrys, even if I couldn't stand either, make the show better on the whole. This year, we had one "rocker" (Gina hardly counts, but whatever) and one borderline country artist (Phil). Neither were that to the core. We don't need five divas, and while the viewing public did support them better than I thought (R16, 11, 4, 3, 1), seeing all five divas among the last eight girls was horrid. Saving Sabrina and Stephanie for next year would have probably produced two Top 10 contestants. Unless there are no legitimately talented rockers or country artists or opera singers or whatever, we don't need five divas and a bunch of R&B/Pop artists.

*The first week should be NON ELIMINATON. They should tell the fans this before, no voting that week, but make the entire week a "getting to know the contestants" week. Would Nicole Tranquillo or Rudy Cardenas have been saved by another week without the jitters of Week One? Maybe. But either way, the fans get to know the performers better, and it gives the performers a chance to perform their favorite song, or a song dedicated to their loved one/family member, with no pressure of being booted. No judges' comments either, let the fans make their opinions on their own.

*Kill the pre-determined split of 6 guys and 6 girls. This year, the split probably should have been 7 girls to 5 guys (with Sabrina (my preference was Antonella, but Sabrina was better) in for Brandon, last year, the split probably should have been 7 guys to 5 girls (with Gedeon for Melissa, and maybe Will for Lisa). If they want to, they can still split up the groups into boys and girls, but send the 4 lowest votegetters home, regardless of gender.

Most of that should solve talent problems to the extent of findin what's available.

As for the show itself

*More gender friendly themes/mentors. In AI5, there were a lot of "guy" mentors, in AI6, a lot of "girl" mentors. Bring it back to the early Idols with themes like "70's", "80's", and so on. Not "No Doubt inspired".

*Allow the contestants to play an instrument. They let Blake beatbox, which is pretty borderline on the rule itself, so allowing an instrument could provide a nice twist. Maybe a week that allows it if they like. I wouldn't have minded seeing some contestants with a guitar/violin/etc.

*When a person gets eliminated, they should get to choose the song they want to perform, not the song that got them eliminated. They should also not be pressured to perform at all, if they don't want to.

*This one is questionable for me, but give the judges the ability to score. No weight on them, but it would give an impression of what the judges actually think. When they say "That wasn't up to your standards Melinda" and "That was your best performance yet, Antonella", those could both be "6". We don't know.

*Results shows, except for the finale and special ones, should be no longer than 30 minutes and should only contain a performance by the mentor, and recap-results.

*Replay American Idol, post-boot, on Friday night. It's their highest rated show, it allows fans who aren't internet savvy to see performances again, it allows fans who can't tape shows to see it for the first time, and it will probably outperform whatever show they usually put on Friday. It's usually a great family show for that matter. Maybe an edited down version to take 30 minutes on Friday for a usual hour long filler show. Maybe make it kind of like American Idol Replay, where you have some commentary by the singer before/after about it. Plus, it's a perfect way to transcribe it to DVD (which they should do for every season)

*Give some insight on the contestants' lives. All I know about Phil Stacey is that he's a family man from the Navy who looks like a zombie. All I know about Antonella is that she is BFF with Amanda. All I know about Melinda is that she was a backup singer from Tennessee. Tell us more!

*The pimping is horrendous. That is all.

"Yes"
Posted by Breezy on 05-25-07 at 08:09 AM
You have some great show ideas. I love the instrument week.

I also like your auditioning ideas.

Posted by Glow on 05-25-07 at 11:37 AM
"the 20 inbetween passing Hollywood and not making it on the show should be given an automatic pass to Hollywood for the next season. It encourages talented contestants who just missed out to come back. "

Yes! Absolutely. Great point.

Love the let them play an instrument idea. I totally agree. They need to look at this as less of a pop singer competition and more of an audition for musicians.

Great ideas, FC.

Posted by StarryLuna on 05-24-07 at 04:46 PM
I keep seeing about AI losing to DWTS on Tuesday, but I don't understand this. AI was on from 8 to 9, DWTS was on from 9 to 11. How could DWTS beat AI if they were on at different times?

Anyhoo, some things I miss are seeing good auditions. Honestly, I don't even remember Jordin's audition, but I can still remember Reuben, Clay, Fantasia, Diana DeGarmo, and Carrie from their auditions.

I miss the behind the scenes stuff. Remember how we used to see scenes of them living together and their downtime and photo shoots and stuff like that? That was interesting.

For all that is holy, I would love if they would extend the Hollywood round to two weeks. I love, love, love watching them prepare and perform the group sings, and the group sing by Blake, Sligh, Rudy and the other guy this season was one of, if not the, highlight of the season for me. Also, I admit, I do enjoy the trauma-drama of the people in the groups battling over rehearsing and all that stuff. I could do without the hour long episode with the contestants being told if they're trough to the top 24.

Speaking of the top 24, could we shrink that number, or not drag it out for 3 weeks till we're down to 12? 5 hours of AI a week is just way too much. I was sick of the show before we even hit the top 12 this season. Either start with 18, or start with 24 and just do it for one week - take the top 6 girls & guys. You're going to pretty much wind up with the same groups anyhow.

The guest mentors are okay, but do we really need one every.single.week? I miss seeing them rehearse with Byrd.

Too much talky talky with Ryan and the judges. I don't think I watched a single episode live this season - I tivo'd and watched it later simply so I could fast forward Ryan and the judges. It's the same every time - Ryan says yo or dawg, Paula says she likes it, and Simon says everything I think. Then Ryan and Simon bicker and we get the numbers. Snooze. There is so little constructive criticism anymore.

I will say that I did actually enjoy most of the finalists this season, moreso than last season. I know I'm majorly in the minority on this one, but I thought season 5 was the worst season of them all, with the exception of Chris and Elliott. Hated the winner, hated the rest of the top 12, and actually stopped watching about halfway through the season. I did make it to the end of season 6.

Siggy by tribe

Posted by Snidget on 05-24-07 at 05:09 PM
There is "did you win your time slot" and "did you win the night"

Like when they rank who had the most viewers in a given week. Usually American idol has had all the top spots every single week. That another show actually had more viewers at all is a big win for that show.

Tribe sprung my spring!

Posted by udg on 05-24-07 at 10:26 PM
AI and DWTS were both 2 hours. There was a 1 hour overlap.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

Posted by Snidget on 05-25-07 at 06:42 AM
LAST EDITED ON 05-25-07 AT 06:51 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-25-07 AT 06:46 AM (EST)

I swear the performance show on Tuesday was only one hour and DWTS was two hours starting when AI ended?

I thought ABC changed the schedule and put an "After the Rose" to run against AI and moved the finale for Boston Legal to the following week.

It isn't that way in the TV Guide that is done a few days ahead of time, but I swear I did the play by play for the whole two hours of DWTS and it didn't start until after AI was over.

ETA http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings.aspx?id=tuesday has the same scheduling I remember, and the ratings for that night.

ETA: RTVW news article on the schedule change

Posted by shanana banana on 05-24-07 at 05:17 PM
god, this finale simply sucked, in every way, shape and form.

Jordin, great singer, but BO-ring in every way.

Blake, interesting guy, beatboxing was fun, singing was okay, but not really a *great* entertainer --- I don't care what the judges said. He was better than Jordin, but that's not saying much. I thought he looked wooden in a lot of his performances and he had the same "dance" moves all the time.

That being said, I thought the finale was *terribly* unfair to Blake -- the coronation song was absolutely hideous and there was no way Blake could compete against Jordin singing that. I mean, did they WANT Blake to lose? It sure seems so, by giving Jordis such an unfair advantage with that kind of song. At the very least, why wasn't he allowed to change it up and sing it in his own style? I can't wrap my head around what the producers were thinking.

I am sick of these sappy finale songs that are never really any good. I am firmly of the opinion that the finale song should be written and/or arranged by each final contestant, done in their own style, their own vision. And if they can't write or arrange, bring in a guest writer to help them along with what they want. That seems fair, and it would make the final more interesting, because you'd get an idea of the kind of album the winning Idol wants to make.

This was the worst season ever, IMO. And I am sick of Ryan Seacrest too, and his THIS........is American Idol !!! Like it's the freaking be all end of TV shows. sheesh. I liked him better when he was just "Seacrest Out!"

Posted by AshLanie on 05-25-07 at 08:30 AM
Are the Golden Awards becomming the focal point of AI?

It seems to me they are......they showed (preseason) more of the off the wall singers than ones that made it to tyhe top 24.

In the finale itself each golden award winner wee given as much time if not more than the portion for the announcement, etc of the winner.

Golden awards are encouraging the bad acts to try out in hopes of winning one and being on he live show.

They each got a trophy..but wait......did Carrie (Who is a bonefide AI) get one when she got the big award? Did Jrdon as the overall winner?

Judges/judging:

Three judges:

One who acts like he is still a teen (What's up Daw-What mature adult says that?)

One who seems to be either drunk and or drugged up who swoons over males that could be her child/ren.

Last but not least the third who seems bored lately....their voice sounded dead all season.

Format:

Order of the singers:

They could reformat this that we are told the %'s of the votes for each contestant (Which we are never told which gives me an inkling that the voting isn't all that important).....the highest % goes first and so on.

Preseaon:

Cut out the bad acts and show us the contestants that make it to hollywood. I looked for Kelly ONLY because of her preseason tryout.....they showed her singing then exchanging seats with Randy for him to try out...was a cute lil scene and one I remmbered. Also, they showed her before going into the tryout talking with Seacrest saying if she didn' make it she would go into fashion.

Second season when Clay tried out he looked (Their words not mine) like a nerd.....so when they showed them at Hollywood I looked to see if he had changed his looks, he had.

As the years have gone by they have not personalized the contestants anymore but have personalized the bad acts and even glorified some with awards.

The voting:

Wow, how to change that? With the fisaco this year they do need to change something in how the voting is done.

Suggestion is for the judges to keep doing the cutting til it is down to six (insert any number there) then let the public vote....but that could hurt ratings, such as they are.

Also, just how much does the voting count when it comes down to a winner? Since we are never given the %'s of what each contestant gets if it is close (As in the second season) do the producers step in and make sure that the winner is who they have already decided on?

Second season everyone had Clay winning and with less than a 1% margin Reuben won.....Rueben had been pimped all season...did he really win or did the producers decide this? Now we know who surpassed who with the public and selling of albums etc.

The Host:

Seacrest.....what to say? He is a bore and actually at times seems jealous of the singers and the attention they get.

Commentary:

Is Jordon a bonefide AI or just another winner who will be surpassed by Blake? Seems it is almost damning to win cause one doesn't really hear about the winners as much as we do about the eliminated ones.

Anyhow, time will tell in all counts.....whether AI changes their format, gets rid of the silly childish golden awards...changes to format of the show itself and the voting procedures, etc etc etc

Posted by Bravehart on 05-25-07 at 05:16 PM
I think AI needs to hold smaller auditions pre "everyone in the stadium auditions". I know for a fact the contestants go before 2 panels of judges before ever reaching Paula et al. Why don't those pre judges hold auditions before the show gets to town.
For the pre judging they could use the time old tested "send in the audition tape".

As if they can actually assess 10000 persons singing abilties in 3 days???