URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID58
Thread Number: 236
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Releasing my inner snob."

Posted by true on 01-06-04 at 02:45 PM
Ok, I'm going to be honest. Those guys aren't just average joes. They're freaks of nature!

The guy with the curly hair is a complete ass. Who wants to date a guy who acts like a certifiable whack job, and on national tv no less.

The guy who couldn't string 2 words together? Puhleeze. How attractive is that? To anyone?

I thought one of the guys was nice looking...til I saw his arms full of tatoos. ICK!

Gum chomping hair boy? A real charmer.

The guy with braces? ....yeah...lemme at him.

Short rapper dude? umm, no.

50's guy? Yeah right.

Star beard man? Uhh, no thanks.

I will admit that I liked the chef, and a couple others did seem more mature than 12 year olds, but that isn't saying much.

Larissa might be shallow, but come on people, that group isn't even close to average, at least not any average I know. In fact, I say you'd have to look far and wide to come up with that group. (although it did seem they have a (wicked pisser) number of Massachusettes residents.... )

I consider myself pretty average, but damn, I don't think I'd give many, if any, of those guys a second look either.

I hope the producers went just as far when selecting the Himbos. I want shallow, emptyheaded, pretty boys. It's only fair.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Releasing my inner snob."
Posted by Lisapooh on 01-06-04 at 02:57 PM
there's nothing average about you sweetie! But I know what you mean - this summary is gonna e a bitch!

At least I have a guy named Phuc - really, what more could a summary writer ask for?

Posted by true on 01-06-04 at 03:07 PM
Oh! I forgot about Phuc (wonder how??) He was actually one of my OK ones. See, my standards aren't THAT high.

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 01-06-04 at 03:36 PM
Good luck with the summary, Poho! I look forward to seeing what you come up with all these bozos -- especially the Andy Dick wannabee (the one with the wild hair) and Phuc and Starboy (the one with the funky shaving from sideburn to goatee) and all of the others.

Posted by TeamJoisey on 01-07-04 at 02:28 AM

>especially the Andy Dick wannabee

Wasn't that CarrotTop's uglier brother?

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

Posted by PepeLePew13 on 01-07-04 at 07:27 AM
He looked (and acted) more like a bad cross-breeding effort between Andy Dick and Carrot Top.

Posted by yensid on 01-06-04 at 03:17 PM
I totally agree. I am still hoping to meet a nice average joe, but if they are average...I think I will just remain single for life.

Posted by escapedude on 01-06-04 at 03:40 PM
This cast of characters is far from "average"..I think ABC sought out the extreme freaks in this series...There are some somewhat normal dudes on this one..But come on the guy with the braces?? I almost felt sorry for him..

The muscle dudesw are the extreme opposite ..Hmm i dont think this will be difficult for this girl..BTW she seems tohave better personality and vocabulary than Malena who was limited to "connection" and "amazing"..

Posted by LeftPinky on 01-06-04 at 03:52 PM
Well put! I'll take my average guy any day of the week. Mr. Pinky isn't Mr. Beachboy Muscle, but he'd knock over everyone in that lame crowd...

Yes, I thought the chef wasn't bad either!

created by the amazing JSlice!

"Interview with producer"
Posted by weltek on 01-06-04 at 04:04 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-06-04 AT 04:04 PM (EST)

I heard a radio interview with the producer today and he said they narrowed down the joe's by differentiating which ones people would root for and which ones people would just feel really sorry for. They picked ones they thought the audience would root for. Root for carrot top (minus the red hair)? I'm rooting for him to drown with the watermelon in the pool. I agree that I kind of like the chef. He carried himself well and seems down to earth.

I don't think I can watch this season at all. I tuned out after about 20 minutes last night.

Edited to add that the producer sounded like an Average Jane was in the works, but the women won't be as looser-ish.

"RE: Interview with producer"
Posted by SurvivorBlows on 01-06-04 at 04:11 PM
>Edited to add that the producer sounded like an Average Jane
>was in the works, but the women won't be as
>looser-ish.

I wouldn't be surprised, despite the producer's initial press claims that an Average Jane series wouldn't work, NBC already shattered the so-called rule that you need a bunch of attractive 20-25 year old bachelorettes for a show to succeed with this past summer's "Who Wants To Be My Dad?"

"his words were something like..."
Posted by weltek on 01-06-04 at 04:34 PM
'I think with my crack team we could do it in a creative way that it could work....' (not actual quote, but something close to it)

"RE: his words were something like..."
Posted by Howard Dean on 01-13-04 at 00:12 AM
ROFL .... Yeah I'm sure it will be an "awesome" show ... just look how great Average Joe 2 is .....

>'I think with my crack team
>we could do it in
>a creative way that it
>could work....' (not actual quote,
>but something close to it)

Posted by ScoobyDoo on 01-06-04 at 04:35 PM
It's interesting that most of your comments were about behavior rather than looks. They tout this show as "charm versus looks" but most of the average joes tend to be not charming in the least, and the producers and those filming seem more eager to focus on their behavioral imperfections than is ever the case with model good-looking guys on show like The Bachelor. I'm not saying I mind, because these crazy, over the top neurotic hyper guys are hilarious to watch, but it certainly makes presenting the show as being about looks versus charm an absolute joke. Although, I must say, it seems like some of the "good looking" guys are TOTAL jerks this time! Unless they are more charming in her presence are those clips are exceptions, this show should be called "Find the guy whose personality most women could live with at all."

Posted by Loree on 01-06-04 at 05:17 PM
That is my complaint too. It isn't just the looks. So many of these guys have strange personalities too. I didn't see alot of charm with alot of these guys. In fact with most of them it was the personality that turned me off more than the looks.

Posted by Howard Dean on 01-09-04 at 04:08 PM

Very true. Although the bald guy seems to be pretty cool.

>That is my complaint too.
>It isn't just the looks.
> So many of these
>guys have strange personalities too.
> I didn't see alot
>of charm with alot of
>these guys. In fact
>with most of them it
>was the personality that turned
>me off more than the
>looks.

Posted by tig_ger on 01-06-04 at 05:59 PM
I totally agree with you, ScoobyDoo!

This show is not about looks versus charm. None of the "average" guys in AJ1 exhibited a lot of charm. Sooo many people here at my office said that they would have selected Adam. I wouldn't. He needed way too much reassurance and had too many self esteem issues. (I wouldn't have selected Jason either...I would have ran like a bat out of he!!)

Am I a snob? Probably. In my defense, in high school, I dumped the captain of the Varsity Football Team in order to date one of the guys who was, among other things, a Chess Club geek. Best exchange I ever made, because Chess Club God was self assured, interesting and intelligent. We're still friends today.

To me, the distinction is that the guys in the Average Joes' are all high maintenance, which is just not attractive to me. The guys here on AJ2 are even worse than the guys on the first show, which leads me to question...

Is AJ2 edited this way in order to make the audience understand why Larissa picks a "good looking" guy?

Probable answer: Being shocked about the negative reaction to AJ1, the NBC editors went to work to explain why a "good looking guy" is selected, ruining the whole premise of looks vs. charm.

Bottom Line: Give me a self assured average looking geek any day over a vapid pretty boy. However, I'll be forced to take the vapid pretty boy to Hawaii if his competition is freakish phobes with stalkerish tendancies.

(*sits and waits for all the flames from Adam lovers*)

A Kyngsladye Original

Posted by Loree on 01-07-04 at 12:35 PM
tig_ger I can relate to your story. In high school I dumped the quarterback/prom king to date an average looking guy. I had females I didn't even know walk up to me and tell me they thought I was crazy to break up with a guy every girl in school wanted. My answer was that he was boring. Although he was the life of the party and Mr Personality when surrounded by his fans, he was boring when we were alone. It was like he could only function with an audience. I was so bored when we were alone. It was like I was talking to myself. So I found someone that I could have a conversation with. Looks may initially attract. But you need a personality to stay around.

Posted by Bebo on 01-07-04 at 12:39 PM
But you need a personality to stay around.

Exactly! My prom date looked like a total geek, but he was such a funny guy that he easily worked his way into the cool crowd. When people realized what a terrific sense of humor he had, they wanted to be around him.

I am the embodiement of snarky, sarcastic and smart. I am also the S7 Anti-Bootee co-champion!

Posted by tig_ger on 01-07-04 at 04:56 PM
LAST EDITED ON 01-07-04 AT 08:21 PM (EST)

Looks may initially attract. But you need a personality to stay around.

I totally agree, Loree. You said in two sentences what I was trying to say in six paragraphs.

This experiment is so bogus. I mean, the choices are:

1) Looks, no personality; or
2) No looks, no personality

The DUH factor sets in. May as well be 1 for 2. If it were about

1) Good looks, average personality; or
2) Good personality, average looks

it would be so more unpredictable. But, I gotta admit, these guys are funny to watch. What a complete train wreck!

Edited for grammmar

A Kyngsladye Original

Posted by littlemisssmartypants on 01-08-04 at 10:07 AM
I think this show pretty much summarizes the dating scene for any late-20's woman. Sadly, I would edit to say the choices are actually:

1. No looks, crazy persoanlity
2. Looks, jackass

I know there must be an option 3 out there

3. Attractive to me, interesting to me

But I haven't found him yet. Maybe I just live in a crappy city.

Posted by Howard Dean on 01-08-04 at 11:54 AM

>But I haven't found him yet.
>Maybe I just live in
>a crappy city.

Good grief! Are some cities worse than others? What kind of city do you live in?

Posted by littlemisssmartypants on 01-08-04 at 07:49 PM
>
>>But I haven't found him yet.
>>Maybe I just live in
>>a crappy city.
>
>Good grief! Are some cities
>worse than others? What
>kind of city do you
>live in?

I think some cities ARE worse than others (particularly because I'm in one I don't want to be for my career-luckily it's time-limited). I guess it could be just me.....but who wants to think that? I say, blame an inanimate object for your troubles!

Posted by Drive My Car on 01-09-04 at 00:16 AM
Awww Smartypants, don't be discouraged Hon.
There are nice decent good guys out there. Witty and warm men. They may be just harder to find, but they exist.

Don't lose hope.

Posted by Howard Dean on 01-09-04 at 03:26 AM
>
>I think some cities ARE worse
>than others (particularly because I'm
>in one I don't want
>to be for my career-luckily
>it's time-limited).

Well ... at least it's time limited ....

I guess it
>could be just me.....but who
>wants to think that? I
>say, blame an inanimate object
>for your troubles!

Sounds good to me. lol

I love the city I live in, but when I moved away from here several years ago, I hated it. I guess it just comes down to being in the right place at the right time.

Is where you are now in a different region of the country than where you are from? That can be really hard sometimes, especially in terms of meeting the right person.

Posted by littlemisssmartypants on 01-10-04 at 12:06 PM
You guys are so sweet!
Thanks so much for the pep talk.
There are tons of great men out there (and not just on reality TV). Now, if they could only congregate in organized groups so that I could find them easily....
It's funny, though, how television seems to have organized men into 2 categories....super-handsome, or downright ugly, neither of which is my style. If Average Joe 1 did anything good (and this is a stretch) it highlighted the fact that men like Adam can pull in fans with their kindness, humour, and good-looks that aren't necessarily photo-shoot perfect. I think that us normal-folk in North America are crying out for more representation on TV....hence the fans of Adam, Clay, and the recent victory of Kurt Nilson on WI. Too bad the networks are so reluctant to listen to our message of substance over style and insist on pitting the crazies vs. the hotties. These are not the only options!

Posted by Howard Dean on 01-12-04 at 02:30 PM

>It's funny, though, how television seems
>to have organized men into
>2 categories....super-handsome, or downright ugly,
>neither of which is my
>style. If Average Joe 1
>did anything good (and this
>is a stretch) it highlighted
>the fact that men like
>Adam can pull in fans
>with their kindness, humour, and
>good-looks that aren't necessarily photo-shoot
>perfect.

Isn't it a shame that Average Joe 2 is going right back to the stereotypes you mentioned?

Posted by heracane on 01-12-04 at 07:07 AM
If you live in the mid west, I have a few friends, single, nice guys.. I think they are attractive, and they are looking for a great girl..

let me know

Posted by littlemisssmartypants on 01-12-04 at 04:53 PM
>If you live in the mid
>west, I have a few
>friends, single, nice guys.. I
>think they are attractive, and
>they are looking for a
>great girl..
>
>let me know

Wow! Who knew this site had matchmaking potential? I'm afraid I'm not quite in your area (or country, for that matter, otherwise I might just take you up on your offer.

Much thanks to my virtual-yenta!

Posted by heracane on 01-13-04 at 06:53 AM
well..I do what i can.. good luck to you!

Posted by Howard Dean on 01-12-04 at 02:37 PM
>Probable answer: Being shocked about
>the negative reaction to AJ1,
>the NBC editors went to
>work to explain why a
>"good looking guy" is selected,
>ruining the whole premise of
>looks vs. charm.

Yep. That goes without saying. If you get a chance, read the letter from the producers on NBC's website. They are trying bigtime to justify what they are doing.

Posted by Silvergirl1 on 01-06-04 at 05:46 PM

I agree, true. I would not want to spend much time with any of these guys, and not just based on looks. I might be interested in the chef, because he was down to earth, unlike most of the rest of them.

I want there to be an Average Jane standing there for these guys to meet. Why not? Why should they expect to compete for a beauty?

Why can't they meet someone in regular life? Probably because they are freaks.

~Silvergirl~

Posted by Drive My Car on 01-07-04 at 09:17 AM

Totally agree! These guys are way way below average.

The guy who talked around a mouth full of spit??? *shudder*

On what planet would any of these guys have a chance with a nice looking woman? This gal is a beauty queen, but even a less glamorous woman would be hard up to find anything interesting about these guys.

Maybe once we get to know them better, some personality and charm may show up, but I am very turned off by how cocky they all seem too.

YUCK!

Don't get me wrong, a pretty guy with a creepy personality is still creepy, but these so called "average" guys don't have looks or charm from what we've seen.

She was so set up.

"Yep! "
Posted by Howard Dean on 01-07-04 at 12:47 PM

Yep! That's what this show is all about! This time the guys are so pathetic that no one will blame Larissa for picking a stud instead of a geek.

Kind of takes away all the drama and suspense, doesn't it?

>
>She was so set up.
>
>

"RE: Yep! "
Posted by escapedude on 01-07-04 at 04:20 PM
Yeah this one seems to be a no brainer for Larissa..Is she expected to pick one of these freaks?
Granted not all of them are .. I did notice an unusual amount of large guys on this show..These guys dont have a prayer but who knows maybe shell go with the guy with the beard designs ?

Posted by Howard Dean on 01-07-04 at 04:24 PM
>maybe she'll go with
>the guy with the beard
>designs

I like him. We'll see.

Posted by leogirl_21 on 01-07-04 at 04:32 PM
I agree with you too when you say that some of the Average Joes are even too weird to even just be an Average Joes!
The curly long haired guy was a weirdo,too psycho for me, the guy with the braces..omg, what was that?! And the 50's guy was whacko. Some others were also way too weird!
And I really do consider myself an average jane and some of these guys, NO, make that MOST of these guys were way to much for me too and I would probably never give half of them a second look. Its like 2 very extremes of the spectrum, the girl is not only an average girl but a pageant contestant and the guys are just as weird as can be. Its gonna be interesting.

Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be ignited. - Plutarch

Posted by TheWanderer on 01-07-04 at 06:46 PM
The two on the show that seemed down to earth were Sean, the Executive Chef and Brian G., the Stock Trader. Besides being exposed to and working in the professional world,(vs. Carrot Top wannabe who is a mail room clerk), they present themselves fairly well and act a lot more mature than most of the others.

From the previews, some of the "jocks"(I won't say most, because we didn't see footage of all of them), appeared to be full of themselves, as well as full of something else. In one of the previews, they show a confrontation between Brian G. and one of the muscle-bound morons...
Brian: "... you think you're above me?"
jock: " .. yes, I do!"

How inane, Brian could probably buy and sell most if not all of those mental-midgets! Although I really don't want to watch, I guess it's like a train wreck... you just have to.

Posted by SilverStar on 01-08-04 at 11:30 AM
I have to disagree with you on Brian G. being down to earth. I actually thought that he was like the "Zach of this season" albeit on a much more tame level. He kept making references to how he was so much better than the other guys, how he was on "nerd island", and things like that. I thought he was kind of a jerk. I did like Sean though, and I also liked the OCD boy Michael, and Mr. Star Beard too. Hey, I like anything to do with stars, even if it is weird facial hair carvings!!

SilverStar

Posted by DoodleBug on 01-09-04 at 03:51 PM
I think these guys are way below average on looks - and personality, but let's look at it this way. I'm just guessing, but I'm betting these guys have never, EVER had the opportunity to even talk to a girl of this caliber let alone possibly date her. So maybe they just don't know how to handle it?

I'm thinking "Revenge of the Nerds" here. Take one totally unsocial guy and then add one gorgeous female... you get moronic behavior to the nth degree.

I'm hoping some real personalities come out when they are alone with Larissa and come back down to earth.

What's your function?

Posted by ValleyGirl on 01-10-04 at 01:37 PM
I think all of these AJ's are going to get a reject sticker.
Valley Girl
"Larissa, please just write "IloveU" on my t-shirt...."

Posted by escapedude on 01-11-04 at 03:21 PM
>>>It's funny, though, how television seems to have organized men into 2 categories....super-handsome, or downright ugly, neither of which is my style.<<<<

These shows are not "average"
Average=boring=low ratings.

They have to bring in the studs or dorks to get an audience.

Posted by MizLiz on 01-14-04 at 11:22 AM
Come on, they're not ALL bad. The cement contractor (Fredo)? is downright droolworthy IMO. He's also relaxed and self-assured. He's not playing Mr. macho, posing for the other boys because he doesn't need to.

On the other hand, most of the others made me cringe and shrink down in my chair. What's with the jesus freak? He deliberately said "Jesus comes FIRST in my life" to drive her away (I'd run screaming) and then he could blame her lack of interest in the fact that she was anti-religious. (It's not MY fault I'm a repulsive geek, it's HER fault)

"What.A.Train.Wreck."
Posted by Tiger Lily on 01-12-04 at 08:18 PM
Everything I've been thinking has pretty much already been said in this thread, but I will add my voice to the mix anyway.

Freaks of nature indeed, true. And "looks vs. charm"? What charm?! If that's their premise, they could at least try to find some guys that actually have charm. At least some of these guys will add entertainment value to the first few shows... that is, until she boots them.

Now the only question is, why am I still watching?

Posted by BONNIEBURR on 01-26-04 at 11:08 PM
I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THE "SHORT RAPPER DUDE" YOU ARE REFERRING TO IS MY NEPHEW, THOM GRANDE.
HE IS A COOL DUDE.
YOU MUST THINK YOU ARE HOT SH*T.
IF YOU ARE WHY AREN'T YOU ON ONE OF THESE KINDS OF SHOWS??????
THINK ABOUT IT!
QUIT FINDING FAULTS IN OTHER PEOPLE AND LOOK IN THE MIRROR!!!!!!!!
I AM SURE YOU WILL FIND SOME OF YOUR OWN!!!!

Posted by doctorcountryboy on 01-26-04 at 11:47 PM
Well said BONNIEBURR!! What your nephew lacks in muscle his attitude easily compensates.

Posted by heracane on 01-27-04 at 08:05 AM
LAST EDITED ON 01-27-04 AT 08:06 AM (EST)

Oh boy, another relative..

This board is known to bash contestants of reality shows, we all realize that there is more to these peoples personalities and lives than what is portrayed by ratings hungry producers. If seeing your nephew get bashed is difficult for you, perhaps another average joe board would be better.

reality is as one perceives it.. we see him as a short rap/breakdancing freak. you see little tommy you have loved all his life. It would be difficult to see my friends and family being bashed but then again they wouldn't be on a show like this.