URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID2
Thread Number: 2359
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Are there limits/rules to the S.O.S. challenge?"

Posted by TheWanderer on 03-11-02 at 02:32 PM
Is anyone familiar enough with the S.O.S. challenge to know if there are certain rules regarding what can and/or cannot be used?
The reason I ask, is that in some other threads, there is refernce to the possibility that MB may put in a "fix" to that challenge so that the Mara's win.

As explained by JP in previous S.O.S. challenges, the tribe that attracts the most attention, will be the one who wins. If there are no limitations, one (or both tribes) could have a really "smokey" fire. That atracts attention.
Since no one in either tribe brought paints like Mamma Kim in S3, the only person that brought something that would attract attention is Paschal... he brought a large American flag.

Thoughts anyone?

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Are there limits/rules to the S.O.S. challenge?"
Posted by SurvivinDawg on 03-11-02 at 02:50 PM
First: I think someone did bring some paints, but I'm feeling too lazy at this moment to go look.

Second: Are we sure that there is going to be an S.O.S. challenge in Survivor IV???

Third: A fix? MB? Perish forbid the thought!

*** Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Posted by zeako on 03-11-02 at 03:05 PM
Kathy brought paints and canvas as her luxury item. Therefore, if there are no limits on what can be used, Rotu has a big advantage with the paints and American flag.

Posted by tribephyl on 03-11-02 at 03:18 PM
First; No there are no limitations on what the survivors can use to attract attention during an S.O.S. challenge. So using smoke would definately be advantageous. I do know that they will make someone sit out of said challenge, as Teresa and Carl did in S3. So the tribes would play even handed. No extra bodies advantage.

Secondly; Someone did bring paint's to the Marquesas, That would be Kathy from Rotu. Paints and canvas as her luxury item.

Lastly; No proof yet that they will have S.O.S. challenge in Ep 3 or even in this show yet. I'm waiting for more pic's. The challenge one's shown so far are pointing to a build your own seaworthy craft(RC). Not an S.O.S.

Posted by wildchickenhunter on 03-11-02 at 03:28 PM
Sure there is one important rule. If your team is way behind then MB will automatically judge you the winner.
I suspect that S.O.S. will be the IC this week. MB will not want the MU's to loose another person this early in the game. Especially since it looks like the next one could very well be Sarah and the twins. He wants to keep all three of them around for awhile.
Therefore, I think the MU's have this one in the bag.
Here is what will happen.
The MU's will have a wild chicken wonder into camp. After 3 hours of chasing it, it will die of exhaustion.The MU's use the bones to spell out "HELP!" on the beach. This is clearly visible from over 5 feet.
ROTU will make gun powder and use it to create flares of multiple colors.
The plane will fly over, and altough it has to take drastic measures to avoid getting hit by a ROTU rocket, MU will be judged the clear winner.

Posted by jkokoj on 03-11-02 at 03:52 PM
I don't know about the limits/rules but if there is an SOS challenge who better to win than an F-16 Fighter Pilot?

That IC would be tailored for Hunter to win hands down. This guy is a pilot for gosh sakes! You would think he would be able to clue his tribe in on what they could and could not see. I assume that is why we have not seen any vid caps that would indicate an SOS challenge.

Posted by TheWanderer on 03-11-02 at 04:30 PM
While I agree that there is no one better suited to make a distrees signal than Hunter, other than a smokey fire and coconuts to spell out "H-E-L-P" (or S.O.S.), what else can they use?
Paschal has his flag and Kathy brought her paints.

Unless of course they want to have Sara flash the pilot and she's a bit resistant... maybe that's what she was being "sensitive" about!!

Posted by erikman on 03-12-02 at 00:46 AM
both paschal and john were in the air force to

Posted by dabo on 03-12-02 at 01:19 AM
Friggin' SOS Challenge, if I have to write a summary of another one of those I'm gonna start demanding ep 10 with the stoopid auction non-challenge! No rules other than the usual, no breaking local laws, no assaulting another player, no entering the crew compound. As for who wins, the International Rescue Signal Competition Organization will probably have already rewritten their guidelines so that the winning tribe is clearly worthy of the win, someone should check if there have been any changes to the official rescue signal standards since last November.

In all seriousness, the tribes which have won these in the past have been the tribes which used their own bodies to their best advantage, but that may just be a coincidence.

Cap'm Zoe Just YoHoHoee!