URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID85
Thread Number: 235
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Joey Gilbert out of Contender"

Posted by renoguy on 05-18-05 at 10:45 AM
http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/2005/05/17/99738.php

This sucks. I thought it would be a great match of two brawlers with Joey vs. Anthony. Maybe it's just more karma for Anthony who might have to fight Jimmy Lange instead, the guy he avoided.

Let's hope Ishe gets in, or the other two bouts may be yawners.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Joey Gilbert out of Contender"
Posted by pinkribbonmom on 05-18-05 at 12:12 PM
NOOOOOOO!!! Joey is one of my 2 favorites!! I am BUMMED to read this!!

Posted by RealityMom on 05-18-05 at 12:16 PM
Pinkribbon,
You've got "mom" at the end of your name, too. So, I'm assuming that you, like I am, are female. Quite a few posters are women, which shows that once women got caught up in the boxers (which I discussed on the post about ratings) they got hooked on the show. Joey is one of my favorites, too. I feel really badly for him that so many months have gone by and he still hasn't healed enough to compete.

Posted by xsmarine on 05-18-05 at 12:38 PM
man i dont want my tickets anymore, I paid 150 bucks for the undercard, and another 250 for plane tickets to see joey gilbert fight. what a waste. I guess I will have to wait for the fight in reno.

Posted by pinkribbonmom on 05-18-05 at 12:46 PM
Sorry xsmarine!! That sucks. I have been so bummed about not being able to go and now I'm not as sad. Joey was a huge reason that I wanted to go. This is a BIG bummer.

"Bbbawk!"
Posted by AyaK on 05-18-05 at 12:44 PM
Eight months to heal fractured ribs? Like heck.

I'd buy three or four months, but eight?

Joey's membership in the "Gutless Four" coalition was not an accident. The guy has all the courage of your average barnyard fowl.

"RE: Bbbawk!"
Posted by AlgeCrumpler on 05-18-05 at 01:03 PM
Joey is doing this to get leverage on the Contender folks the only legal way he can. He is pissed about the cheating, because he rightfully should be fighting for the top Fan Favorite purse, and he is trying to force Contender to put him and Bonsante back in that fight. This injury is not the sort of thing you suddenly find out, and besides, he is only saying "it is tender".

Mark my words.

Posted by kay_tin on 05-18-05 at 01:11 PM
you are forgetting the "slight swelling" part of his continued injury. Makes it an entirely different matter, right? ;) I was about to give him the benefit of the doubt after discovering he had reinjured them in more recent sparring bouts until I read the very end of the article when he basically admits that while he would have fought if the $1 million purse had still been up for grabs (for him) but since its not he isn't. Pathetic, but I guess he did what he set out to do...gain exposure.

Posted by pollardsvision on 05-18-05 at 01:14 PM
The guy saw that he would be paired with Bonsante and rather risk another loss before his bout with Jesse he begs out...typical

If this thing with Jesse wasnt already lined up or if he were fighting Fraza or Cooper you wouldnt see him backing out

Posted by xsmarine on 05-18-05 at 02:02 PM
I dont agree with that the odds have been against joey since he was in college. 3 national championships later, he has still demonstrated that he will not go down without a fight. I might have lost a few bucks because the tickets i got are not for who I wanted to see, but he almost beat manfredo with 3 cracked ribs. Its hard enough to breath like that, and he almost beat manfredo.

Posted by intocable on 05-18-05 at 04:41 PM
What do you mean? IS he supposed to fight Jesse soon?

Posted by xsmarine on 05-18-05 at 05:33 PM
joey and jesse are going to try and fight here in reno sometime in the near future

Posted by ladro on 05-20-05 at 02:11 AM
The article said he reinjured the ribs in sparing matches.

Posted by stephs47 on 05-20-05 at 08:54 AM
Please tell me you all DON'T by this lame excuse? Joey is a coward, has been from day one on the show. And if you watch the entire fight against him and Manfredo...is wasn't even close. I mean come 'on, I'm a female and I know that a fractured rib (or whatever it was) DOESN'T take almost 9 months to heal. He is selfish. Looks like his plan back-fired again (the first time was when he thought by giving Peeta the car, he wouldn't fight him in the end). I said it was and I'll say it again.......Joey, too bad, so sad!!!!! Go Manfredo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. I hope that when Jesse and him fight that it is on pay-per-view and that Jesse beats him like Manfredo did