URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID22
Thread Number: 228
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"OTCC Red Lentil Lemon Soup and Parmesan Crackers "

Posted by Karchita on 02-25-11 at 07:27 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-26-11 AT 01:15 AM (EST)

These recipes are both adapted from the cookbooks I received from my OT Secret Santas the last two years. *blows kisses to CTGirl and kidflash* Both have become favorites, and what better place to share them?

I'll try to post pictures soon.

Red Lentil Lemon Soup

This is a lentil soup for people who don't like lentil soup. It uses red lentils, which are quite different from regular old brown lentils. In addition to being red (duh), they are hulled and cracked, cook very quickly, and result in a lighter texture. The soup is a lovely golden orange color. I find it much more appetizing than regular lentil soup, which can have a bad case of uglies, and the lemon and spices lift it out of the ordinary as well.

It's adapted from In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite, by Melissa Clark, a food writer for the NYT. I knew nothing about her before kidflash gave me her latest cookbook. I am now a fan, bigtime.

3 Tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium (14 oz.) can of chopped tomatoes
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt (more to taste)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
10 cups (2 1/2 quarts) chicken broth (ok to use all or part water instead)
1 cup red lentils
1 cup brown rice
1 large carrot, diced
juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, mint or parsley

1. In a large pot, heat oil and sauté onions and garlic about 4 minutes.
2. Stir in tomatoes, salt, pepper, chili powder and cayenne and sauté a few minutes more.
3. Add water or broth (10 cups total), lentils, rice, and carrots. Cover and simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Taste and add salt if necessary.
4. Blend with an immersion or regular blender until still somewhat chunky. Don't make it too smooth.
5. Reheat the soup if necessary, then stir in lemon juice and cilantro (or mint or parsley) and correct seasoning. Serve garnished with a drizzle of olive oil, a dusting of chili powder, or dollop of yogurt.

Notes & Variations:
• Double all spices and salt or it may be a bit bland. Do not omit the lemon as it brightens all the other flavors.
• In place of the canned tomatoes, use fresh tomatoes or 2 Tbsps tomato paste.
• Use 2 cups of lentils and skip the rice.
• Add a pinch of lemon zest.
• Do not substitute brown lentils. It would ruin the whole specialness of this soup, imo. Red lentils may be a little hard to find, but a health food or Middle Eastern market should have them. Whole Foods has them in the self-serve bins, or at least mine does.

Parmesan Crackers

These little yummies are good with soup or a glass of wine. The recipe comes from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics, by Ina Garten, a gorgeous book with fantastic recipes given to me by CTGirl. The first time I made these and brought them to a party, people laughed at the idea of homemade crackers, like maybe I had a little too much time on my hands. As soon as people tasted them, however, they stopped laughing, and pretty soon they were fighting for the last ones. Now I get a lot of requests to bring them to parties. I think they are like homemade cookies; they just aren't the same as anything that came out of a box.

1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1-2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1. Using the paddle attachment and an electric mixer, cream the butter for one minute.
2. With the mixer on low, add the Parmesan, rosemary, salt and pepper and mix well.
3. With the mixer still on low, add the flour and 1 teaspoon of water and combine until the mixture is in large crumbles, about one minute. If the dough is dry, add another 1/2 teaspoon of water.
4. Form into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 days.
5. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut ball of dough in half. Using a rolling pin and pastry cloth, roll out 1/4" thick. The dough can be very crumbly and difficult to work with. Just be patient and keep pressing it back together. Using a knife or pastry cutter, cut into 1 1/2" squares. If you like, top each with a few grains of sea salt. Don't overdo it or they'll be too salty.
6. Place on cookie tins lined with parchment paper and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Notes & Variations
• Do not use anything but real, fresh, quality Parmesan cheese. Kraft cheese in the green can will not give these crackers the amazing taste they have when you use real cheese. Use fresh herbs if at all possible, too.
• Many herb and cheese combinations are possible. I have always used rosemary, but the original recipe called for thyme and I've seen a similar recipe using aged cheddar cheese.
• The crackers will stay fresh for a few days, if you can keep from eating them.
• I usually serve these plain because they are delicious that way. They are rather delicate and will break easily, so I don't serve them with a spread or dip. Plus, if I went to the trouble to make homemade crackers, dernnit, people don't get to bury them under a spread.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: OTCC Red Lentil Lemon Soup and Parmesan Crackers "
Posted by qwertypie on 02-26-11 at 12:03 PM
I can't do lentils but Mr. Qwerty is very much looking forward to the soup. Do you know if it will freeze well?

I'll try these later this week.

Thanks Karchita!

Posted by Karchita on 02-26-11 at 02:36 PM
Absolutely. I haven't frozen it myself, but lentil soups in general freeze extremely well. I can't see why this one would be any different.

Too bad you don't do lentils.

Posted by qwertypie on 02-26-11 at 04:08 PM
But I do crackers
These look similar in principle (but much more elegant) to cheese straws that I make with sharp cheddar and a bit too much cayenne.

Posted by Karchita on 02-26-11 at 05:06 PM
Cheddar and too much cayenne sounds very good! I've made some cheese straws with puff pastry, but I'd have to aggree that these are more elegant.

Posted by qwertypie on 03-04-11 at 03:35 PM
Going to try and get the lentils tonight so soup tomorrow!

Posted by dragonflies on 02-26-11 at 07:21 PM
Thanks Karchita! Both sound really yummy! Any pics? I love food pics.

Posted by Karchita on 02-27-11 at 02:15 PM
As soon as I can, hon. As soon as I can.

Posted by CTgirl on 02-27-11 at 11:32 AM
*blows kisses back to Karchita*

You really like to make me move out of my box don't you? First garbanzo beans and now lentils. I can honestly say that I have never had lentil soup in my life. I've always been leery of the mush factor and my DH absolutely hates lentil soup. He still talks about how he would phone all his friends whenever his mom would make lentil soup for supper to find someplace else he could eat! I, however, am willing to give it a try, once.

What is the difference between red lentils and regular lentils?

"moving boxes"
Posted by Karchita on 02-27-11 at 02:14 PM
But you liked the garbanzos, right?

The difference between red and regular lentils, aside from what I said up above, is that regular lentils are mushy, ugly, and gross. I say that even though I like them. I did not like them as a kid, and I still don't like them unless they are deliciously spiced. Red lentils are much more enjoyable all around.

I am very pleased that you are game to try the recipe, and I hope that your DH smells this soup and decides he wants to try it. And if not, I hope he likes crackers for dinner.

"RE: moving boxes"
Posted by CTgirl on 02-28-11 at 02:17 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-11 AT 02:18 PM (EST)

Garbanzo beans are just okay.

I have made the roasted shrimp recipe a few times though. ETA: DH doesn't like chick peas that much either.

"So ..."
Posted by Karchita on 03-01-11 at 04:25 PM
would you call yourselves anti-legumites?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

~wondering if I should have gone with the out-of-season blueberry tart afterall.

"RE: So ..."
Posted by CTgirl on 03-07-11 at 08:12 PM
I was in an IGA grocery store yesterday and stumbled upon red lentils. Guess I have to make it now that that excuse is gone!

"RE: moving boxes"
Posted by weltek on 03-03-11 at 11:04 AM
I'm looking forward to trying red lentils. I didn't realize there were actually different kinds of lentils. I don't love regular brown lentils, but do enjoy the concept of lentil soup, so this is perfect for me to try!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Tummy on 02-27-11 at 12:00 PM
Does a happy dance as I don't have to wait for a cheat day to make this.

I will be doubling the lentils and nixing the rice in the soup. Do you see any problems with that? I'll be adding chicken to it also to up the protein.

Also, I'm excited about the crackers, have been planning on making these for a while and have just never gotten around to it.

I've now found my cam/com cord and will have pics this time!

Posted by Karchita on 02-27-11 at 02:06 PM
LAST EDITED ON 02-27-11 AT 02:24 PM (EST)

I think that doubling the lentils is a fine idea. That's what the original reciped says to do, in fact. Adding chicken is also a good idea, I think, though it's not like the soup needs it. There's plenty going on already, except for protein. Serving the soup with some simple grilled or roasted chicken would be another way to go.

ETA: I wouldn't do anything too elaborate as an accompaniment as the soup is so spicy and complex. It's almost like a chili.

I will post some pictures soon. Things have been incredibly hectic around here. You may beat me to it, and that would be great.

Posted by Tummy on 02-27-11 at 08:04 PM
I went to both Walmart and Reasor's today and neither had red lentils - so your pics will probably beat mine being posted as I'll have to wait to go into Muskogee or Tulsa.

First orzo and now lentils. *sigh

Posted by Starshine on 02-27-11 at 03:24 PM
Love the sound of the soup, add a soupçon of garam masala and a little less stock and I think it would make a really nice dhal

Roll on next weekend when I can go shopping!

Lovely cheese Mooney

Just another Sleeperbloke

Posted by Karchita on 03-01-11 at 04:28 PM
I am very much a novice with Indian food, but I was thinking this was more Middle Eastern. There is a Lebanese restaurant in my neighborhood that serves the most delicious lentil soup and that was the reason I was first interested in this recipe. It isn't quite the same, but this is just as delicious in its own way. IMHO, anyway.

Posted by Seana on 02-28-11 at 10:50 AM
This is great! I have some red lentils left over from a lentil loaf I made a while ago - it's a really nice recipe - and I was hoping to be able to something else with them besides another loaf, since I only make those once in a while.

Thanks!

I'll have to run out to get some parmesan.

Posted by Karchita on 03-01-11 at 04:30 PM
Red lentil loaf? Is this a recipe that you share?

Posted by Seana on 03-01-11 at 10:06 PM
Happily! It's my stepmother's recipe. The * indicates her note when she typed it out for me.

Lentil Roast

Ingredients
1 cup dry red lentils
2 cups fresh vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp butter or margarine, softened
2 Tbsp whole wheat bread crumbs
2 cups grated mature (sharp) cheddar
1 leek, chopped
4 oz button mushrooms, finely chopped
1 ½ cups whole wheat bread crumbs
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsely
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Put the lentils, stock and bay leaf in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the lentils have softened. Discard the bay leaf.

Meanwhile, spray a 2lb loaf pan with oil, then sprinkle with the 2 T of breadcrumbs.

Stir the cheese, leek, mushrooms, 1 ½ cups bread crumbs and parsley into the lentils. Add lemon juice and eggs. Season well and spoon into prepared loaf pan. (If it’s too dry at this stage, add some milk, broth or whatever, as it tends to be dry. Then maybe spice it up a bit more.*) Smooth the top and bake for 1 hour or until golden. Loosen the loaf with a knife or spatula and turn on to a plate.

I like it cold with salad, actually.

Posted by Karchita on 03-01-11 at 11:41 PM
Thanks! I will most definitely give it a try. Is this something that might be enhanced by a cheese sauce?

~legumite and proud of it.

Posted by samboohoo on 03-02-11 at 10:07 AM
I'm definitely doing the crackers. I'm not a Lentil person, but I may try it. I also have stuff to do Silvergirl's Lemon Chicken.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

"Simmering"
Posted by weltek on 03-05-11 at 04:17 PM
I tried three stores, including Whole Foods, and couldn't find red lentils. So I went with the best looking brown lentils I could find. They look more red than brown, anyway.

The sip I took before boiling tasted great, so I have high hopes.

I'm skipping the crackers for now, saving them for a special occasion. I'm afraid I'd eat them all.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"Will make again!"
Posted by weltek on 03-05-11 at 11:19 PM
This was like a thick mexican soup with the addition of lentils. I thought the spices were just right. I used sour cream and cilantro on top (and thus why it seemed particularly south of the border).

This is the first lentil soup I've really liked, even with just using the brown lentils. I might not make this often, but will pull the recipe out again for a cold day.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"Very enthusiastic thumbs up"
Posted by qwertypie on 03-05-11 at 10:21 PM
From Mr. Qwerty and DD.

I served this with a moroccan shrimp and couscous dish and garden salad.

The colour is beautiful. I blended it just enough so the lentils broke down (they were football red lentils (?) )but the brown rice did not.

Mr. Qwerty really appreciated the lemon and cilantro in the soup. I didn't double the spices, but I think next time I will. They still enjoyed the soup even though it was mild. Next time I will serve lemon slices with the soup so people can adjust the taste accordingly.

I don't think I will have to freeze any left overs because this will not last long in the fridge.

Thanks for a recipe that I would have never made on my own.

Posted by Tummy on 03-07-11 at 11:30 AM
I have my red lentils, I have all my other ingredients, I have my camera and cord. I am prepared to have pics and a review tomorrow!

We lost Diesel this weekend so I have to have something to take my mind off of it until that phone rings. Send good thoughts that my phone rings and someone has found him please.

Posted by Karchita on 03-07-11 at 11:52 AM
Poor Diesel. Poor Tummy. I am so sorry. (((hugs)) Don't lose hope; it hasn't really been that long.

Posted by Tummy on 03-07-11 at 02:42 PM
Thanks Karchita. Rob found him! He was 3 miles further into the woods than the path we walk on a beaver dam. <waits for kingfish or fooner to comment>

Rob's my hero today. I cried harder than I have all weekend when they walked in. *sniff

Posted by Karchita on 03-07-11 at 06:33 PM
That's wonderful news!

So Rob has earned a reprieve from cold showers for a while?

Posted by Tummy on 03-07-11 at 09:11 PM
For a while. It doesn't give him a forever reprieve as he's the one that lost him in the first place.

He's shaved now. Looks like a skinned rat.

Posted by Starshine on 03-09-11 at 09:42 AM
Why did you shave Rob?

Posted by Tummy on 03-09-11 at 12:06 PM
LOL - that did come out wrong didn't it?

But I do like a clean shaven man.

Posted by Tummy on 03-09-11 at 09:37 AM
Made it. And it was goooood. I took a pic of the final product that I will post soon.

I halved the recipe but kept the spices the same. Perfect. I left out the rice and used extra lentils and added some chicken.

You're right, the lemon juice took it to a better place. I forgot for the first couple of bites and it was ok. After adding the forgotten lemon it was so much better. Next time I would add the zest.

A perfectly yummy soup!

"Does anyone have crackers left?"
Posted by weltek on 03-09-11 at 12:35 PM
I'm starvin' marvin and the snack of peach yogurt did not even come close to cutting it. I really hate peach yogurt. Nolay loves it and it was the only kind left in the fridge. So, who has crackers to pass over this way?

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: Does anyone have crackers left?"
Posted by qwertypie on 03-13-11 at 10:00 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-13-11 AT 11:34 PM (EST)

Letting the dough chill right now. I couldn't resist and tried some of the dough. They are going to be incredible. I am going to text Mr. Qwerty and tell him he has to bring some white wine home to go with the crackers.

totally agree with you about peach yogurt.

Posted by qwertypie on 03-13-11 at 08:27 PM
Making the crackers tonight.

Posted by qwertypie on 03-14-11 at 00:56 AM
Wow - these were really good. Mr. Qwerty brought home $6.66 ( ) worth of stinky parmesan cheese and as these gems were baking I quickly realized that they absolutely needed white wine to complement.

Some notes

The dough was easy to work with. The main problems I had was hiding the butter from Sammo so it good reach room temp. In the future I would chill it a little longer than half hour, but I couldn't wait any longer.

I discovered too late that I had no parchment paper, but I put them on a baking stone and kept a close eye on them and after 11 minutes, they were perfect!

I forgot to sprinkle salt on the first batch but the kosher salt mixed in the dough gave nice little bursts of salty goodness.

Mr. Qwerty really loved the rosemary and I think it is a better choice than the thyme, but I will be experimenting in the future.

Sammo loved the crackers, they were a bit too strong for the girls (good choice on the cheese, Mr. Qwerty!). And the vinho verde was excellent!

Posted by qwertypie on 03-18-11 at 00:23 AM
Made the second half tonight. Even better when the dough can rest a bit.

Posted by Karchita on 03-18-11 at 11:30 AM
I would definitely agree with that. Things have been hectic around here and I didn't have time to make the crackers before I posted the recipe (though I have made them many times before). It was about 5 days before I got around to making them and I had doubts if it was still good. It was fine, easier to work with, and the crackers had better flavor, I thought.

Glad you liked them, qwerty and I am so glad you were game to make the soup.

"Crackers!"
Posted by weltek on 03-19-11 at 09:27 PM
Well all the boys had better get back inside the house before I eat all the crackers.

Missed the water note in the directions, as I didn't print them out. I was bouncing back and forth between the desktop and the kitchen. Didn't seem to make a difference. Used thyme.

Good eats.

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: Crackers!"
Posted by Karchita on 03-20-11 at 00:27 AM
Irresistable little nom noms, aren't they?

*evil grin*