URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID37
Thread Number: 227
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"My theory on the Grannies demise"

Posted by realitybites on 03-14-02 at 08:25 PM
Though this post is not itself a SPOILER, I will be using them to make my case. You have been warned.

OK, this is my personal theory on how the Gutsy Grandmas finally surrender to fate and are eliminated:

1) Grannies oversleep and Blake & Paige passes them
2) They finally wake up and hit the panic button
3) They look for the fast forward, but it's already gone
4) They miss the most direct flight to Cape Town and look around for a flight - any flight - out of Iguacu (or Sao Paulo)
5) In the tradition of Frank & Margarita's theory that the shortest point between two cities is to go farther away from where you started, our grannies take a flight to Europe (Lisbon?)
6) Peggy's nervous breakdown
7) They finally arrive in Cape Town, hours and hours behind everyone else
8) Phil gives them the bad news as the lead teams applaud their gutsiness (they're about ready to leave)

I admit I had to do some straining to make everything fit, but I think I did a pretty good job.

The alternate theory is that they just get beat, and Europe is on their way to their sequestered location.

My mind just cannot accept that they make it past stop #3.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: My theory on the Grannies demise"
Posted by rucksack on 03-14-02 at 10:19 PM
I posted on another thread regarding speculation on the grannies' flight out of the pit stop, which directly supports your own theory. If they were to decide to head to Buenos Aires (2hrs away by plane from the falls, vs. 1 1/2 hrs to Sao Paulo) thinking it is a bigger airport with more flight possibilities. If so, there is a flight with Lufthansa from Buenos Aires to Cape Town, with a stopover in Frankfurt (European airport!!!). Believe it or not, they would arrive in Cape Town at approximately the same time as those who opted for the Sao Paulo-Johannesburg-Cape Town flights... unless their connecting flight in Frankfurt was delayed or perhaps cancelled, thus causing the grannies' meltdown...and therefore an elimination!

"RE: My theory on the Grannies demise"
Posted by Loree on 03-15-02 at 06:02 PM
I just hope they do get booted next. I was already to enjoy watching them. But the one whines too much and doesn't want to do anything. I was happy to see Blake not waking them up. The sooner they leave the better.

"Post mortem"
Posted by realitybites on 03-21-02 at 07:03 AM
OK, this is my personal theory on how the Gutsy Grandmas finally surrender to fate and are eliminated:

1) Grannies oversleep and Blake & Paige passes them

I was half right; they did oversleep, but Blake & Paige did NOT pass them.

2) They finally wake up and hit the panic button

This was true, as far as it went. Those two don't exactly move like FloJo, even in a panic situation.

3) They look for the fast forward, but it's already gone

The fast forward was in Cape Town, where it did them absolutely no good. The producers hurried them along once they finally got there.

4) They miss the most direct flight to Cape Town and look around for a flight - any flight - out of Iguacu (or Sao Paulo)

As I noted elsewhere, all the teams missed the most direct flight to Cape Town. In the specific case of the grannies, they would have been better off waiting a full day for it; the flight would've gotten there about noon, which would have put them close to C&A and Team Amen.

5) In the tradition of Frank & Margarita's theory that the shortest point between two cities is to go farther away from where you started, our grannies take a flight to Europe (Lisbon?)

Everyone went through Europe, but the GG's took the most circuitous route by far. NEW YORK???

6) Peggy's nervous breakdown

We didn't see it, but I certainly believe it happened. Three days of flights on four different continents would be enough to stress almost any reasonable person.

7) They finally arrive in Cape Town, hours and hours behind everyone else

Spot on, as our British friends would say.

8) Phil gives them the bad news as the lead teams applaud their gutsiness (they're about ready to leave)

Some of the other teams did applaud their gutsiness, but only in interviews after the fact. Unless all the teams were held for an extra 24 hours, they all should have left by the time the grannies arrived.

"RE: Post mortem"
Posted by Loree on 03-21-02 at 01:22 PM
LAST EDITED ON 03-21-02 AT 04:51 PM (EST)

The grannies claim they would have been okay if they hadn't hit bad weather flying from New York. They said the flight attendants were flying around and getting hurt. It was a really rough flight. Then they arrived 45 minute late and they had a tight connection. Having to go through customs made them miss their flight or they would have been okay.

But they also claim Blake turned off their alarm without any proof. So who knows? I'm just glad they are gone.

***edit for spelling

"Teams were held until Grannies got there"
Posted by RaceGirl on 03-21-02 at 02:22 PM
Congratulations on your brillant use of that crystal ball!

But to clarify--
> Unless all the teams
>were held for an extra
>24 hours, they all should
>have left by the time
>the grannies arrived.

During their morning interview, they mentioned that the other teams were happy they took an extra day to get to Cape Town because they all got another day of rest. Not sure how that fits in with the mythical 12 hr pit stop rule.

"RE: Teams were held until Grannies got there"
Posted by realitybites on 03-21-02 at 03:03 PM
>During their morning interview, they mentioned
>that the other teams were
>happy they took an extra
>day to get to Cape
>Town because they all got
>another day of rest.
>Not sure how that fits
>in with the mythical 12
>hr pit stop rule.

No problem, I'm sure they just added another 24 hours to the pit stop time. There is precedent for this - one day was added in Tunisia, and two days were added in Bikaner, India. Those are the ones that I know about.

"Pitstops"
Posted by trigirl on 03-21-02 at 04:15 PM
>There is precedent for this
>- one day was added
>in Tunisia, and two days
>were added in Bikaner, India.
> Those are the ones
>that I know about.

I don't remember that. Why?

"RE: Pitstops"
Posted by realitybites on 03-21-02 at 04:52 PM
>>There is precedent for this
>>- one day was added
>>in Tunisia, and two days
>>were added in Bikaner, India.
>> Those are the ones
>>that I know about.
>
>I don't remember that. Why?

There was a sandstorm in Tunisia. I don't know what happened in India.

"RE: Pitstops"
Posted by Ruthless on 03-21-02 at 07:44 PM
The extra time spent in India was put down to "production difficulties", which could mean anything from camera breakdown to crew illness. It gave the teams a chance to rest up, but didn't Momily say they had been awake for 48 hours when they had their meltdown in Thailand? I would have thought the extra rest in India would have enabled them to recharge their batteries so to speak.