URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID77
Thread Number: 225
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"Pilot Part 1 (season repeat) 6/1/05"

Posted by Lost on 06-01-05 at 07:55 PM
Since the season will be rerun starting tonight I thought everyone (me) would enjoy rehashing and discussing new theories after paying closer attention the second time around. I went back through the 9 pages of threads and noticed not each epi was discussed.

Hope everyone will join me. If not I guess I'll be talking to myself.

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: Pilot Part 1 (season repeat) 6/1/05"
Posted by zombiebaby on 06-01-05 at 08:17 PM
I am planning on re-watching it!

Especially going to look for the "monster" this time!

One more of J Slice's Awesome Creations!

Posted by volsfan on 06-01-05 at 10:03 PM
I will join in the future but I am watching Sports Moms and Dads tonight. Good idea to re-discuss the episodes.

Posted by zombiebaby on 06-01-05 at 10:18 PM
So far...

Boone & Jack working over Rose. Boone thought they would have to open up Rose's throat with the pen. Did Jack end up doing that on Boone?

Claire? Fakest.pregnant.belly.ever.

First monster noise: definately mechanical sounding, maybe the hatch opening up? It is dark so no smoke or cloud can be seen(at least by me). However Kate & Jack talking prior to that about finding the front end Kate mentions that she saw black smoke in a distance. Also Jack makes a plane out of palm leaf and describes his version of crash and Kate is mesmerized by the leaf plane.

Funny: subtitles from Jin telling Sun "stay in my sight and stay away from the others" or something like that.

Posted by volsfan on 06-01-05 at 10:28 PM
I have been flipping back and forth. Was Rose's husband ever shown?

Also, Rose wasn't hurt was she? Why open up her throat with a pen?

Posted by zombiebaby on 06-01-05 at 10:32 PM

Did not show Rose's husband, right before the plane starts faltering she explains to Jack that he is in the bathroom. Jack says he will keep her company and then the plane starts to crash.

She was not that hurt and Boone was too eager. He was doing CPR wrong and Jack took over. Boone suggested that they need the pen in the throat. Jack sent him away to get a pen so he could revive Rose in peace.

Posted by zombiebaby on 06-01-05 at 10:30 PM
Also why did no one really move when the trees were being uprooted or pulled down? The noise was loud and it appeared to be very close to them.

What was up with Locke and the orange in his mouth? Kate gives him the strangest look!

Rain.Locke.Monster.

So according to flashbacks we have Jack has been hit on twice, once pre-flight in the lounge by Ana Lucia and then some gentle flirting by the flight attendent ;)

Amazing how short Sawyer's hair is!

Posted by Chez on 06-02-05 at 12:17 PM
Your juxtaposition of these 3 words got me thinking:

"Rain-Locke-Monster"

What about "Loch-Ness-Monster"

Any way that beast or its island counterpart could fit into the story line?

Posted by zombiebaby on 06-01-05 at 10:42 PM
Jack used to take flying lessons also before he "decided it wasn't for him".

Cockpit scene:
At least 48 sruvivors.
How long have we been here? 16 hours already.
Horn sound, monster approaching. Shadow. creaking, groaning. Pilot drops transceiver, pilot snatched, blood splatter.
Jack reaches for transceiver, plane "drops", they all run...more horn sounds.

Is the horn sound the monster or is it just part of the music?

Posted by batts on 06-02-05 at 01:40 PM
I've been wondering about the 'horn sound' too! It almost sounds like a wailing sound. I've heard the same sound effect on star wars movies...
alright alright... bear with me the sound of those 'speeders' going through the jungle at a million miles an hour. Could the horn sound be something moving through the jungle very fast? (just one idea)

or could it be the mechanical sound of the giant invisible robot turning his head?

Posted by Roo on 06-02-05 at 02:23 PM
To me, the horn sounded like the sounding of an alarm, like a siren.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

"Steam Engine"
Posted by Canada Girl on 06-02-05 at 05:25 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-02-05 AT 05:30 PM (EST)

I always thought the the sound sounded like a steam engine, and that;s how they were powering it. But now that we know they have gas for the little boat they used for kidnapping Walt, i'm not sure how that fits in.

The comment that the sound was familiar to someone from the Bronx always led me to Stream powered something, sounding similar to a train.

Posted by parksmom on 06-02-05 at 00:39 AM
So glad you started this link, as I was watching tonight "with new eyes" I was thinking the same thing.
Several things I picked up tonight
1. Rose commented that the noise the "monster" was making was familiar to her and in the same breath that she was from the Bronx. Seems to support the mechanical theory, she probably hears lots of machines in the city?

2. The scratch and subsuquent scar on his eyebrow and cheek that Locke has looks like the one from the "Scar" character in The Lion King movie. He was the "evil" brother in the movie. Probably doesn't mean a thing, just found it interesting with the previous discussions of the good vs. evil theme.

3. Fate was the word that Charlie was writing on his fingers and in the last episode of this season that was discussed by Shannon, Sun, and Claire.

Thats all that comes to mind right now. I am working on TIVOing all of the episodes I don't have saved and then will be transfering them to DVD's,(got a DVD recorder for Mother's Day).
Right now I have 13 on TIVO, so if anyone needs something looked at again, let me know and I will try and do that.
Good Grief!!! This show is making me CRAZY!! To think that my goal for the summer is recording all of the episodes!! LOL!

Parksmom

Posted by calamityc on 06-02-05 at 04:06 AM
Nice to see you Parksmom, re your number 3-it is going to be interesting to see if the characters split into two groups strictly based on destiny vs. self determination. Or if Locke simply does something else deemed "scary" and that splits the group.

Graciously supplied by RollDice(twice!)

Posted by KLicK on 06-02-05 at 05:46 AM
I also noticed the Rose/noise/Bronx connection.

I got a "story building" smile when Kate/Jack first spoke about fear. He said he absorbs the fear and allows it to take over, while Kate said "I would run."

Posted by esquire on 06-02-05 at 09:57 AM
Now that we know how the first season plays out, there were 2 lines that caught my attention in the pilot.

1) Jack is hurt and is getting Kate to stitch him up. She is reluctant, but he convinces her to do it. He tells her a story about an 13 hour operation he performed as a resident that went bad at the very end. She looks at him in amazement and says that she would have run away when things started turning bad, but he assures her that she wouldn;t run. We now know that she does run away when trouble hits

2) Jin tells Sun that she should stay by him at all times. By the end of the season, he leaves her to go into the ocean

"Locke's Scar"
Posted by Canada Girl on 06-02-05 at 05:32 PM
Cute insight on the Lion King?Locke bad guy scar. I'll add that Anakin has that scar too, as he turns into evil Darth vadar.

"maybe I'm wrong"
Posted by brvnkrz on 06-02-05 at 10:16 AM
But when they showed Jack on the plane, he was sitting in a window seat next to Rose. But in the final episode when Jack was going to his seat, didn't it show him getting into a middle row seat near Locke? I'm not sure if I saw the correctly or not. Can someone help?

"RE: maybe I'm wrong"
Posted by Devious Weasel on 06-02-05 at 10:25 AM
He was putting luggage in the overhead there. He then sat down by the window.

"RE: maybe I'm wrong"
Posted by brvnkrz on 06-02-05 at 10:26 AM
Okay, thank you.

"Whole Season Repeating?"
Posted by trigirl on 06-02-05 at 10:52 AM
Does anyone know the schedule of repeats? I still haven't seen "White Rabbit" or "Tabula Rosa" and can't wait for the DVD.

"RE: Whole Season Repeating?"
Posted by Lost on 06-02-05 at 01:57 PM
>Does anyone know the schedule of
>repeats? I still haven't
>seen "White Rabbit" or "Tabula
>Rosa" and can't wait for
>the DVD.
>
>

every wed at 10 pm

"RE: Whole Season Repeating?"
Posted by Devious Weasel on 06-02-05 at 02:32 PM
They are going to do two shows back to back some nights, so be sure to check listings each week.

Posted by SilverStar on 06-02-05 at 11:17 AM
This is my first time watching the show, so I don't know anything that goes on in the future, but no one seems to be talking much about Charlie. He was the one who struck me as odd- he seemed very calm after the crash, which I suppose could have been shock. Also, during Jack's flashback, we saw Charlie run up towards the front of the plane and then minutes later it crashed. Did he have something to do with it? What was he doing while Kate and Jack were talking to the pilot? He seems suspicious.

Just my initial reactions. I'm probably way off! I look forward to watching the episodes and reading the old threads.

She nice, the Syren.

Posted by brvnkrz on 06-02-05 at 11:21 AM
Dweeze could better answer this. As far as being in a daze and being calm, Charlie is a heroin addict so that could have had something to do with it. I believe he was in the bathroom getting a heroin fix right before the plane crashed.

Posted by SilverStar on 06-02-05 at 11:36 AM
A-ha. That makes sense. I really wanted to like Charlie, but there was something bothering me about him. Glad to know it's just heroin.

She nice, the Syren.

Posted by brvnkrz on 06-02-05 at 11:39 AM
Keep watching. If you have read the boards you know that they have episodes sort of dedicated if you will, to each character. You will end up getting backstories on all of the main characters.

Posted by batts on 06-02-05 at 01:53 PM
>A-ha. That makes sense. I really
>wanted to like Charlie, but
>there was something bothering me
>about him.
he ends up bein a likeable guy

Glad to know
>it's just heroin.

lol... yeah thats all .... just a regular heroin addict, nothing to worry about....
Welcome Silverstar.... this is the best non-reality series ever

never give a drug addict a gun

Posted by emydi on 06-11-05 at 06:03 PM
I'm watching it for the first time too Silver!! I don't want to know what happens but I want to watch with "better eyes"....And Pooh, I had read the Tivo description of the 2nd part of the pilot about the handcuffs so when I watched the first part I knew it was Kate that was the prisoner because I saw her rubbing her wrists!!

This is a really good show, I have no idea why I did not watch it the first time around but I'm glad they are replaying it. I have it on my TIVO--season pass--I know that some eps. went long..does anyone know if that will be the case this summer?

"my notes"
Posted by Lost on 06-02-05 at 02:25 PM
Opens with Jack in jungle. Vincent is there staring at him. Vincent then moves toward Jack, makes a crying sound, jumps over Jack and takes off into the jungle. (Keeping my eye on that dog!)

Jack gets up and starts walking. Camera pans in on white tennis shoe hanging on a tree branch.

Seems like Jack walks quite a distance to get to the beach.

Jack has two scratches on upper left cheek and two on lower right cheek. (Scratches from monster???)

During chaos on beach there are multiple black wispy smokey things flying around.

Jack revives Rose. Boone appears to be as dippy as Shannon with the pen episode.

When Hurley, Jack and Claire are thrown in the sand after the one explosion Hurley is holding a watch in his hand. (I've never seen him where a watch in the last few epi's)

First appearance of Kate is her coming out of the jungle and runs into Jack.

Jack tells Kate a story about his residency. His first surgery was a spinal on a 16 year old female. Very messy, yadda, yadda. He put her back together and she was fine. (Could this be the wife??)

Ding dong Shannon is seen painting her toenails!

Kate said she saw the whole thing. Tail broke off first then the front of plane.

All on the beach at night. They heard the air horn type sound and very tall trees moving. IT'S NOT RAINING!

Rose says that sounds awful familiar. Someone asks her where she's from. She answers the Bronx.

Kate, Charlie, Jack walk to find the cockpit. Kate tells Charlie "Beth" loves the band Driveshaft. (Is Beth the name of Tom's wife?)

Vincent is shown in jungle just looking...

Walk to cockpit doesn't seem to take very long. HERE COMES THE RAIN. They climb into the cockpit Charlie disappears into the bathroom to get a fix. The pilot wakes up. Jack tells pilot 48 people survived. (When did he have time to count?)

16 hrs into flight lost radio no one can see them on radar they turned toward Fiji and were a 1000 miles off course when they crashed.

Monster pulls pilot out of cockpit window. (What kind of dumb*ss would stick his head out a window in that situation!)

The three take off running through the jungle. Kate ends up alone and hides in a tree hut (don't know what else to call it, seems a lot of people find these to hide in throughout the show) She says something. What does she say??? I could only make out "what...do we"

Charlie scares the hell out of Kate. Rain stops.

They go back for Jack. Kate sees pilot wing pin in muddy water. Picks it up and sees reflection of pilot in tree above.

Jack appears looking very calm, cool and collected. Kate asks if he saw it. He casually says no, it was right behind me, I dove into the bushes. (How can anyone be that calm after that!)

"RE: my notes"
Posted by Devious Weasel on 06-02-05 at 02:39 PM
Jack's got engaged to his wife during her recovery. I doubt there is any connection to the girl he performed surgery on.

Kate is counting to five when she is in the trees. She's doing what Jack said he did when he was terrified during the operation - letting the fear take control for five seconds, then going forward.

Posted by blacknwhitedog on 06-02-05 at 03:11 PM
Charlie had hid his stash of heroin in the lavatory right before the plane crashed. That's why he wanted to go to the cockpit with Jack and Kate- to retrieve his drugs.

I forgot Rose said the monster sounded "familiar". That's probably something important. Whenever someone is running from the monster they think it is right behind them, but it doesn't seem like the monster is ever right behind them- but it sounds like it?

ABC episode summary 1 "Pilot"
http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/episodes/2004-05/1.html

Posted by Lost on 06-02-05 at 03:22 PM
>Jack's got engaged to his wife
>during her recovery. I doubt
>there is any connection to
>the girl he performed surgery
>on.
>
>

This girl would have gone through recovery. I still thinks it's possible she's the one.

Posted by Devious Weasel on 06-02-05 at 03:33 PM
But this girl was 16 when she was injured. It was Jack's first operation, so that puts him around 25-26. The ages just don't work out.

Posted by Lost on 06-02-05 at 03:50 PM
>But this girl was 16 when
>she was injured. It was
>Jack's first operation, so that
>puts him around 25-26. The
>ages just don't work out.
>
>
>

That's funny. My husband is 14 years older than I.

Posted by Devious Weasel on 06-02-05 at 04:16 PM
And I'm 13 years older than my wife. But I didn't meet her when she was 16.

Posted by Devious Weasel on 06-02-05 at 04:23 PM
This is from the official summary of "Do No Harm"

We learn that Sara met Jack because she was in a car accident -- an accident so bad she was deemed irreparable. But Jack promised he would fix her and he did just that -- because when Jack says he's going to do something, he does it. And Sara raises her glass to the most committed man she's ever known -- Jack Shepherd, her hero.

That just doesn't sound like a description of the girl Jack talked about last night. The operation seemed routine, it was only his actions that put the girl in jeopardy. And I can't imagine a resident would be allowed to perform surgery on a patient deemed irreparable.

Posted by Lost on 06-02-05 at 05:28 PM
Weasel, guess we will have to wait for next season.....

Posted by zombiebaby on 06-02-05 at 06:29 PM
I think I have to agree with Dweeze here. I think the patient he did the surgery on is important but I don't think it was his finace.

I got the impression that Jack working on his fiance comes later. And that they did not know each other for long before becoming engaged. No where to prove that. Just my gut feeling.

Posted by Godd3ss on 06-13-05 at 12:09 PM
I dont know. During your residency, you are what? 25/26? That would make him at least 10 years older than the girl. It looks like he would have been maybe 30 when getting married and that would make her 20 - the girl that he married seemed to be the same age as him.

Posted by Godd3ss on 06-13-05 at 12:08 PM
I think the "tree hut" is a banyan tree. They have those crazy above ground root systems.

Posted by Lisapooh on 06-02-05 at 04:49 PM
I like all the small things this show does. Like when Kate walked out of the jungle in the first episode, she's rubbing her wrists. We now know because she was handcuffed - but we didn't know that then - or probably even notice it. I'm going to watch for other little foreshadowing things with the repeats - it might help us watch with sharper eyes next season.

Posted by zombiebaby on 06-02-05 at 06:27 PM
I kept getting the feeling the pilot was an Other. He knew precisely what he had to do and accomplish and how to finish it.

The whole cockpit scene with him is weird. The way he wakes up and the questions he answers. Plus the information he gives. Just odd to me.

Posted by Godd3ss on 06-13-05 at 12:15 PM
I just think it was necessary to give us information. There would be no one else that would have been able to explain why there was no search team out for them and why no one knew where they were. Only the pilot would have been able to give that information.