URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID62
Thread Number: 2247
[ Go back to previous page ]

Original Message
"decision based on "determination of hispanic decent""

Posted by stereotypes on 02-19-07 at 03:08 AM
The producers made an assumption that 50% of the mall's customers are Hispanic and fire Aimee under the assumption of communicating in Spanish. Bullshit!I would like to see the producers stand behind a desk with 50 people of "other" and identify their descent. THEY CAN'T. Aimee made a statement "WHO WOULD KNOW IF THEY WERE HISPANIC AND DIDN'T SPEAK ENGLISH. She probably was unable to identify ethnicity like most of America can't . Are the producers assuming that hispanics in LA don't speak English. That is a slap in the face!!!!! Second, they could have been Armenian, Persian, or other middle eastern descent (all who have been getting the short stick of life from all angles) As quiet as its kept, Hispanics are the majority of this city, with most speaking English. Check the census reports. Over 50% America would classify a light skin Jamaican, Turk, Armenian,Dominican, Belizian,or any middle eastern person as a Hispanic.Funny how an Asian lady won the prize, and all those standing around her were not Hispanic. The Apprentice has gone to a field of disgust and I will write the advertisers.. Good 'ol DVR will allow me to do that! I sick of the Hispanics of this city

Table of contents

Messages in this discussion
"RE: decision based on "determination of hispanic decent""
Posted by iltarion on 02-19-07 at 03:54 AM
Ah, the producers aren't saying anything about anybody. That is completely baseless. AIMEE was the one that brought up the communication barrier as a red herring. No one else on her team thought it was a big deal. Her team didn't LIKE her. That is why she was booted, nothing else.

Posted by LeoPolk on 02-19-07 at 11:15 AM
She was an awful leader too. Her tirade at the end of the show indicates how little she understands herself. Making a deal about the purple octopus was stupid. Maybe if she had be review her potential customers, she might have caught the Spanish language problem.

That being said, if I was a boss in that positions and found out someone had neglected to tell me pertinent information like those two, I would have fired them. Neither one of them said a word. They failed in this task and should be sent home.

"RE: decision based on "determination of hispanic decent" - question"
Posted by rotkapchen on 02-19-07 at 04:26 PM
Do you think they did this intentionally because they disliked Aimee so much?

She really was a poor leader that is for sure.

The original author of this post makes a good point there probably are a lot of other ethnicities in LA besides Hispanics. It would certainly be hard to hire translators for all kinds of different languages.

I think the concept of whether they should or should not have had translators is pretty political, it all depends on what side of the fence you sit on (left or right.)

I think Americans should learn to speak other languages but I do not think we should have other languages rammed down our throats in our own country.

Posted by shabalaba on 02-19-07 at 04:30 PM
Being "hispanic" myself...whatever that's supposed to mean...4th generation United States Citizen...born and raised in the good old U. S. of A....I find it offensive and I have to agree with the earlier post: it is completely ignorant to assume that because someone looks Latino...that they do not speak English.
Shame on you Trump and whoever else fell into that lame excuse for losing the task.

Posted by Jenna_F on 02-20-07 at 00:33 AM
Aimee was the one who made a big deal out of it in the first place, so, shame on them for listening to the only real complaint the project manager could manage to think of for anyone else on her team but her? It just happened to backfire on Aimee, but really, that was all she could think of to say someone else should go.
I'm suprised she didn't say that girl should have been voted out because she put out a pink octapus.

Signature given to me by tribephyl in an attempt to make me less boring.

Posted by shabalaba on 02-20-07 at 01:47 PM
True Aimee was the one that brought it up but the others took the ball and ran with it..."All you had to do was look around"...point is...how can "looking around" tell you if they spoke English or not. That was an ignorant assumption.

Posted by pines6217 on 04-12-07 at 12:32 PM
Guess What?? Donald & Imus are connected!! Donald has been appearing on several of his shows including the time that Donald announced his new baby?

This has me wondering - Was there some kind of outside influence that promped Imus to blurt out that racist remark??

Posted by zipperhead on 02-21-07 at 11:56 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that the team did say that there were people who needed help because they could not speak or read english very well. So, reaching out to all linguistic demographics for maximum participation was a valid concern.

Blowing it out of proportion to suggest that 50% of the mall walkers were non-english-speaking hispanics was a huge leap. Trump once again showed what a racist he is by jumping to that conclusion so eagerly.

I agree with the person above who said that Aimee's teammates were just using any excuse to make her look like she wasn't on top of things. I don't think everyone on that team is a racist.

A Cyggie siggie!
It looks like Randal will be in the Board Room next time. It will be intersting to see how Trump works with him.

Posted by MsDeeVeeAns on 02-25-07 at 11:38 AM
>One thing to keep in mind
>is that the team did
>say that there were people
>who needed help because they
>could not speak or read
>english very well. So, reaching
>out to all linguistic demographics
>for maximum participation was a
>valid concern.
>
>Blowing it out of proportion to
>suggest that 50% of the
>mall walkers were non-english-speaking hispanics
>was a huge leap. Trump
>once again showed what a
>racist he is by jumping
>to that conclusion so eagerly.
>
>
>I agree with the person above
>who said that Aimee's teammates
>were just using any excuse
>to make her look like
>she wasn't on top of
>things. I don't think everyone
>on that team is a
>racist.
>
>
>A Cyggie siggie!
>It looks like Randal will be
>in the Board Room next
>time. It will be intersting
>to see how Trump works
>with him.

I agree with some things.. but would not call it racism just yet. He is WCA (white corp america) all they care about is money.....who is making it and who is spending it...his arrogance can be mistaken for racism and other 'isms' I know but his all assuming all Hispanics dont speak English..it is a casual ignorant comment but not necessarily based on racism.

It was overblown as not all needed translation anyway and if anyone was at fault for missing the point FIRST was the big doofus not AIMEE.

She was an easy target for them...

Posted by Ricky on 02-21-07 at 04:22 PM
It's well known that East LA has a very large Hispanic population. She really didn't even need to go to the mall to know that. A safe assumption would be that some percentage of the Hispanic population doesn't speak English (No need to argue what the percentage is - it doesn't really matter), so she should have paid for a few interpreters and had insructions at the Kiosk in Spanish.

I've never been to LA, but I would have known that without someone telling me - it's all common sense really.

Is she loco ?

"A new broom sweeps clean, but the old broom knows the corners" - Martin, First loser on The Apprentice LA

Posted by topshopgirl on 02-22-07 at 01:34 PM
When you look at people you can only by what you see and yes Aimee should have taken into consideration that there is a Spanish Speaking population. Heck she was in LA and everyone knows there is a large group there.

Besides, you do what most companies do nowdays, advertise in both languages. That way, if you have Spanish speaking people you have reached them just as you would and English speaking one.

The government does it everyday, most utility companies and I know for a fact when you call most any company now, you have the option to click over to speak to a person in Spanish.
Common Sense is all this is about.

Posted by Hoobie on 02-22-07 at 07:59 PM
The funny thing...MainPlace Mall is in Santa Ana, which is in Orange County.

I used to work 5 minutes from there, and would frequently go to that mall at lunchtime. I would NOT say that it's 50% Hispanic (language spoken, irrelevant). I think that Trump actually planted a more diverse population in that mall. Seriously.

Posted by MsDeeVeeAns on 02-25-07 at 11:32 AM
Does the CIA steal your thoughts too and give them to radio LMAO

TRUMP is WCA (white corporate america) and would not think of such things. You give him too much credit.

Posted by qwertypie on 02-26-07 at 08:46 PM
Trump wouldn't, but Mark Burnett might (remember the contraversy about scheduling tasks during the Jewish High Holy days?)

Posted by MsDeeVeeAns on 02-25-07 at 11:30 AM

Okay glad to see I am not the only one offended.First of all I already dont like some of them for being weak and AIMEE was the fallguy. She is not strong but she did not pass the buck like the others did.

I was watching it from TV and the first thing I said to self-wow there are alot of Hispanic people there- so of course it should be my second thought-do they any speak English? How can you NOT think about those things...anyway then the two knew as the manager said that 50% were Hispanic..why did THEY not start working on that at THAT time?

Why did they drop the ball why did they wait so long before starting their own translations..I would have thought that the best time to say-HEY I KNOW THIS LANGUAGE was when they were told about the 50% EVEN if they did not need to use it.

so sad..I will watch another few weeks but if TRUMP doesnot fire on weakness soon then I will find other things more 'intelligent' to watch-like my toe nails growing in....;))

"How do English Speaking People should look like then???"
Posted by Palm Tree on 02-25-07 at 04:42 PM
The producers of this "TV show" soo called "reality" where way off on this one, for unknown reasons! (for me anyway)

I think this was "MADE" to be a problem OR edited afterward to BE the problem for the challenge, WHY?, gee, just because there are ALOT hispanics at "any place" doesn't mean that they ALL OR MOST do talk Spanish, heck!, you know what?...there is ALOT of hispanic looking people that are like that either because they are decendents that actually DO NOT, DON'T, ARE NOT, AREN'T, Spanish "SPEAKING" people!!!

See, PLENTY of younger generations don't know their olders or relatives (not necessary) native languages like say in this case Spanish nor will they care to learn it (I know enough people like that)for whatever reasons (to each their own), AND, there are also the ones who actually LEARNED AND SPEAK more or less PERFECT English.

That said, I think this was very unfair for Aimee, and is really something that any "Latino" will feel that it was pretty much a "narrow minded" "Set--Up "Editing" or whatever, of a "challenge", and very INSULTING to ALL the English speaking, hispanics, latinos, or for any other race, as a matter of fact, that don't "LOOK" like our pre-conceived notion of what an English speaking person is suppost to look like!!!

I for one know people born, raise and never outside of the USA that may be called "latinos", however, don't know only but English. Nothing bad considering that, before been named USA, the first only "Native Speaking people", where thought English by "English speaking Europeans that came from some ship...long time ago!!! Go figure!